Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Post by elvisjock »

I came across this longform interview with Marty Pasetta.

Click on the "People" tab, and then on "Elvis Presley" to advance to the appropriate point in the video.

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/marty-pasetta#

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisjock wrote:I came across this longform interview with Marty Pasetta.

Click on the "People" tab, and then on "Elvis Presley" to advance to the appropriate point in the video.

Lovely topic title!

EmmyTVLegends.org is doing a fantastic job of interviewing anyone and everyone who worked in American television, gathering up their stories and creating a valuable on-line, historical archive. The Pasetta interview is another example. I never realized how many interesting projects he was involved with before "Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite," such as his long tenure at KGO-TV in San Francisco.

Here's the exact point in the YouTube video where he starts speaking of the "Aloha" special:

Marty Pasetta Interview Part 4 of 7 - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu1UUo5Y5VE&t=02m02s

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Lovely topic title!

EmmyTVLegends.org is doing a fantastic job of interviewing anyone and everyone who worked in American television, gathering up their stories and creating a valuable on-line, historical archive. The Pasetta interview is another example. I never realized how many interesting projects he was involved with before "Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite," such as his long tenure at KGO-TV in San Francisco.

Here's the exact point in the YouTube video where he starts speaking of the "Aloha" special:

Seems to be a fair amount of embellishment (I use the Jerry Hopkins account as ground zero for the Pasetta story). But, he is consistent in his recollection that he thought the show was boring and that Elvis needed to lose weight.

So, Elvis goes on a diet and looks phenomenal. But he still doesn't move. Not only does he not move like the Elvis of 1969 and 1970, but he doesn't act like he did in Elvis on Tour or at Madison Square Garden. Was this a conscious decision? Was this the supercool, Superfly, who need only stand and pose?

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Lovely topic title!

Seems to be a fair amount of embellishment (I use the Jerry Hopkins account as ground zero for the Pasetta story). But, he is consistent in his recollection that he thought the show was boring and that Elvis needed to lose weight.

So, Elvis goes on a diet and looks phenomenal. But he still doesn't move. Not only does he not move like the Elvis of 1969 and 1970, but he doesn't act like he did in Elvis on Tour or at Madison Square Garden. Was this a conscious decision? Was this the supercool, Superfly, who need only stand and pose?
For me, the movement is the last of the problems with Aloha - although many concentrate on it. He simply doesn't sing very well for the most part. Sure, he's fine at full voice in Trilogy and at the end of What Now My Love, but for much of the time he has problems staying in tune on long notes, and there is a strange thin sound to his voice.

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by billyblues »

poormadpeter wrote: For me, the movement is the last of the problems with Aloha - although many concentrate on it. He simply doesn't sing very well for the most part. Sure, he's fine at full voice in Trilogy and at the end of What Now My Love, but for much of the time he has problems staying in tune on long notes, and there is a strange thin sound to his voice.
In my opinion and view, the problem is a combination of both: when he "shouldn't" move, his voice isn't sounding energetic with few exceptions. "Something", which is one of my favorites, sounds pretty bad. And when one would expect him to move... Well, he just stands there and, uh, something. Then he strikes a pose and smiles as if he did great. "Yeah!". Whoo.

Heck, it's Elvis and I love him! But I just watched Aloha (seriously, it ended a minute ago) and I didn't remember it felt so boring. Thankfully I've watched it alone and when my wife's with me there are better things to watch, like the Comeback Special. I don't want her to think that Elvis is that boring. It may have been a triumphant event but, seriously, it's not a very good Elvis concert. Possibly it was like that because he was nervous, seeing as it was such a huge event. You can clearly see that he does not know what to do during the Burning Love solo, trying to look cool but ending up looking confused with the acoustic guitar.

Well, at least we have On Tour and what came before!
PS.: Not saying it was a total failure - I like a few of the performances. But, as I said, I didn't remember it felt so boring (it's been quite some time since I last watched it).

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

billyblues wrote:
poormadpeter wrote: For me, the movement is the last of the problems with Aloha - although many concentrate on it. He simply doesn't sing very well for the most part. Sure, he's fine at full voice in Trilogy and at the end of What Now My Love, but for much of the time he has problems staying in tune on long notes, and there is a strange thin sound to his voice.
In my opinion and view, the problem is a combination of both: when he "shouldn't" move, his voice isn't sounding energetic with few exceptions. "Something", which is one of my favorites, sounds pretty bad. And when one would expect him to move... Well, he just stands there and, uh, something. Then he strikes a pose and smiles as if he did great. "Yeah!". Whoo.

Heck, it's Elvis and I love him! But I just watched Aloha (seriously, it ended a minute ago) and I didn't remember it felt so boring. Thankfully I've watched it alone and when my wife's with me there are better things to watch, like the Comeback Special. I don't want her to think that Elvis is that boring. It may have been a triumphant event but, seriously, it's not a very good Elvis concert. Possibly it was like that because he was nervous, seeing as it was such a huge event. You can clearly see that he does not know what to do during the Burning Love solo, trying to look cool but ending up looking confused with the acoustic guitar.

PS.: Not saying it was a total failure - I like a few of the performances. But, as I said, I didn't remember it felt so boring (it's been quite some time since I last watched it).
Great post, exactly my thoughts.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

billyblues wrote:

Sounds familiar to me.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

loiacvi1
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by loiacvi1 »

I have used Aloha From Hawaii to help me fall asleep. The Alternate show also. Usually around the end of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry I fall into a coma.

As far as his singing, I agree with poormadpeter's assessment. Perhaps this was the beginning of vocal problems that would plague Elvis in February in Vegas.

Having said that, I still enjoy Aloha for what it is. One of the very few professional videos we have of Elvis in the 1970s.

However, with Footage Collector's animated gifs, I may never watch Aloha again.

the echo will never die

Rob

Post by Rob »

billyblues wrote:Not saying it was a total failure.
The Aloha broadcast was not a failure in any sense of the word. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. As far as movements, he performed the same way as he had been performing at that time. His last tour was in November 1972 and the movements then were no different than during the Aloha broadcast. They were certainly no different than what came a couple of weeks later in Vegas or the April '73 tour. He was a different performer in January 1973 than he had been in previous years and for the most part, the stage movements were a thing of the past.

Every time I see the Aloha broadcast, I am reminded of how proud I am to be an Elvis Presley fan.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rob wrote:
The Aloha broadcast was not a failure in any sense of the word. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. As far as movements, he performed the same way as he had been performing at that time. His last tour was in November 1972 and the movements then were no different than during the Aloha broadcast. They were certainly no different than what came a couple of weeks later in Vegas or the April '73 tour. He was a different performer in January 1973 than he had been in previous years and for the most part, the stage movements were a thing of the past.

Every time I see the Aloha broadcast, I am reminded of how proud I am to be an Elvis Presley fan.

Make money?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Rob

Post by Rob »

Yep -- and entertain a few people across the globe.

I was one of them.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

billyblues wrote: In my opinion and view, the problem is a combination of both: when he "shouldn't" move, his voice isn't sounding energetic with few exceptions. "Something", which is one of my favorites, sounds pretty bad. And when one would expect him to move... Well, he just stands there and, uh, something. Then he strikes a pose and smiles as if he did great. "Yeah!". Whoo.

To each his own... I thought the Aloha From Hawaii concert was a fantastic performance and still to this day, one of my favorites from Elvis' 23 year career. It wasn't his best show by any means but still a spectacle and if not for every song he sung, there were still many highlights. Performances like See See Rider, Burning Love, Steamroller Blues, You Gave Me A Mountain, My Way, It's Over, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, What Now My Love, I'll Remember You, American Trilogy and A Big Hunk O' Love were all very well done and IMO, certainly anything but boring. Elvis looked fantastic and came across as a true master of his profession. He wasn't the Elvis of the 1950's or even the Elvis from 1968... but isn't that what's so appealing about him? There were so many phases of his career for fans to enjoy! Like I said, to each his own... but I love it! :smt023
Last edited by elvis-fan on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by memphisound »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Make money?
Definitley make money, but also I think something for Elvis, as I'm sure it was aware he was growing weary of Las Vegas, but also to present him as this iconic image and Aloha did just that. Not going to lie, when I first seen Aloha, I was let down at the pace of the show. Up until then I had only seen Elvis live on stage from the That's The Way It Is documentary, but as I got older, I learned exactly what Rob said, he was a different performer then years before, and honestly a different person in general to a degree. What a darn shame they sent him right back to Las Vegas after this.

The only thing that ever bugged me was the story of what happened the next day after Aloha, when the group wanted to take a tour of Pearl Harbor and Elvis couldn't make it because he was too much under the influence of his medication. I never understood this because, one, the Aloha show had just been complete, he hadn't even gone to Las Vegas yet. Always wondered what made him do that so quickly. Was it the fact he knew he was going right back to Las Vegas that caused this...
Last edited by memphisound on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

r&b

Post by r&b »

The Elvis I saw at MSG in 1972 was much more energetic and exciting (even though a rushed show) than the one I saw in Aloha. When watching Aloha in April 1973 (USA TV) I was very letdown by the whole thing. Elvis looked great, but sounded like he was in a daze for the most of it except on Trilogy and What Now My Love, 2 songs of which I dont really care about. Even when he talked at MSG, he had more energy than when he talked in Aloha. I was wondering what the heck was wrong with him. The song selection was also very strange and somewhat dated. All in all, a triumph for his career but not much else for this long time fan.

SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

Rob wrote:

I never know if you are serious, or just kidding in any of your posts Rob, but if you are about this one, then i agree with you 100%. :smt023

elvis-fan wrote:
billyblues wrote: In my opinion and view, the problem is a combination of both: when he "shouldn't" move, his voice isn't sounding energetic with few exceptions. "Something", which is one of my favorites, sounds pretty bad. And when one would expect him to move... Well, he just stands there and, uh, something. Then he strikes a pose and smiles as if he did great. "Yeah!". Whoo.

To each his own... I thought the Aloha From Hawaii concert was a fantastic performance and still to this day, one of my favorites from Elvis' 23 year career. It wasn't his best show by any means but still a spectacle and if not for every song he sung, there were still many highlights. Performances like See See Rider, Burning Love, Steamroller Blues, You Gave Me A Mountain, My Way, It's Over, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, What Now My Love, I'll Remember You, American Trilogy and A Big Hunk O' Love were all very well done and IMO, certainly anything but boring. Elvis looked fantastic and came across as a true master of his profession. He wasn't the Elvis of the 1950's or even the Elvis from 1968... but isn't that what's so appealing about him? There were so many phases of his career for fans to enjoy! Like I said, to each his own... but I love it! :smt023
Excellent elvis-fan. :smt023

SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

Elvis was well known for his stage movements, so everyone expected the same thing for this show, and when he did not do it in the way he was famous for, alot of people think it's boring. Elvis was 38, and for the times in 1973 that was coincided getting old for a performer to be dancing wild the way Elvis used to, so i'll bet that Elvis gave this some thought about how he wanted to be seen and perform in front of the entire world. People don't think that 38 is old today that's for sure, because it's not, look at the Rolling Stones, and Aerosmith, and alot of other performers that were around back then, they are in their 60's & 70's now and still going crazy on stage, which is awesome.

I think Elvis looks cool the way he slowly moves around the stage, almost snake like, not a fast moving snake, but a quiet snake moving up and down the stage with cool flowing movements, that's how i feel when i watch this show. I think Elvis felt he wanted to put on a more mature laid back show and just focus on the way he wanted to perform the songs, which i think was the right choice. Why does every show Elvis did have to be full speed ahead for so many fans, why cant they just enjoy this show for what it is, laid back so you can hear every song in a relaxing way.

If Elvis was 38 in 2014, he just might have gone full speed ahead in Aloha, because it's accepted today for a middle aged performer to act like that, but in 1973, it was alot different in the way performers acted approaching 40. Sure we all wanted Elvis to be going wild on stage, but i love it just the way it is. I have this CD in my truck, and play alot because i love the way he sings them, to me they are very well sung and performed.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

I think Elvis rose to the challenge presented by Aloha magnificently. He looked great, sang with focus and conviction, and delivered as well as he could have.

I've made this point before, but this was a stictly timed concert. They had the satellite for a specific amount of time. It couldn't be 58 mins, or they'd have dead airtime, and couldn't be 62 mins, or they'd have been cut off! Elvis couldn't go off and ad lib with the crowd, as it would have upset the timings. He didn't move around so much as I'd assume he didn't want to be out of breath for the end of the show. For me, one of the standouts is Big Hunk Of Love, as it's perhaps the first time we see Elvis start to relax, unwind, and realise he's pulled it off.

Let's also not forget that the work wasn't over for Elvis - he had a flimed recording session for the additional numbers, so again, he had to be aware of that.

For me, he delivers some fantastic vocal performances, full of concentration - it's almost like watching record a series of masters, one after the other. You Gave Me A Mountain, Steamroller, My Way, It's Over, What Now My Love, Trilogy etc - they are all absolutely stunning (even with Elvis' early start on It's Over!).

alanfalk
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by alanfalk »

If you wanna see boring, go to an Eric Clapton concert, I did, and he sat on a chair the ENTIRE show. I saw Aloha as 13 years old, and was amazed, I still enjoy it quite a bit, and think his singing is really good too. But of course, its hard to live up to an image :? And I really like that snake metaphore.

Rob

Post by Rob »

SUN-RCA wrote:I never know if you are serious, or just kidding in any of your posts Rob, but if you are about this one, then i agree with you 100%.
What do you mean?

I'm serious in all of my posts.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

memphisound wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Make money?
Definitley make money, but also I think something for Elvis, as I'm sure it was aware he was growing weary of Las Vegas, but also to present him as this iconic image and Aloha did just that. Not going to lie, when I first seen Aloha, I was let down at the pace of the show. Up until then I had only seen Elvis live on stage from the That's The Way It Is documentary, but as I got older, I learned exactly what Rob said, he was a different performer then years before, and honestly a different person in general to a degree. What a darn shame they sent him right back to Las Vegas after this.

The only thing that ever bugged me was the story of what happened the next day after Aloha, when the group wanted to take a tour of Pearl Harbor and Elvis couldn't make it because he was too much under the influence of his medication. I never understood this because, one, the Aloha show had just been complete, he hadn't even gone to Las Vegas yet. Always wondered what made him do that so quickly. Was it the fact he knew he was going right back to Las Vegas that caused this...
It's quite likely that "medication" was the reason for his vocal quality during quieter passages in Aloha.

memphisound

Post by memphisound »

poormadpeter wrote:
memphisound wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Make money?

It's quite likely that "medication" was the reason for his vocal quality during quieter passages in Aloha.
Perhaps but I was referring to the next day when his entourage wanted to take the pearl harbor tour but Elvis couldn't make it because he had taken his meds and was "out of it " I guess was how they put it.
And I always wondered why, they said he stayed relatively clean during this time period, plus he was coming off the Aloha special surely he couldn't had been that depressed that quickly, maybe he found out he was going right back to Vegas? It is just something that has always made me wonder about.

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by billyblues »

SUN-RCA wrote:If Elvis was 38 in 2014, he just might have gone full speed ahead in Aloha, because it's accepted today for a middle aged performer to act like that, but in 1973, it was alot different in the way performers acted approaching 40.
The rest is just personal opinion (we all have one, be it positive or negative), but if you don't mind I just can't agree with this. We all know why Elvis Presley started aging before he should and why he wasn't up to the "task" of living healthy back then. And it all culminated in a sad day in August, 1977.

I don't find Aloha all that bad, anyway. Just boring and that's not only limited to the lack of moves as I previously mentioned. But sure, we have some good highlights (then again, even Elvis In Concert may have a few).

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

Albert Goldman
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Albert Goldman »

:P
memphisound wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
memphisound wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Make money?

Perhaps but I was referring to the next day when his entourage wanted to take the pearl harbor tour but Elvis couldn't make it because he had taken his meds and was "out of it " I guess was how they put it.
And I always wondered why, they said he stayed relatively clean during this time period, plus he was coming off the Aloha special surely he couldn't had been that depressed that quickly, maybe he found out he was going right back to Vegas? It is just something that has always made me wonder about.
He had been under a lot of pressure. Maybe he just wanted to relax and get stoned or to party his success. Simple as that?

memphisound

Post by memphisound »

Albert Goldman wrote::P
memphisound wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
memphisound wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Make money?

He had been under a lot of pressure. Maybe he just wanted to relax and get stoned or to party his success. Simple as that?
I don't know if thats a legit response or sarcasm but it could've been just as simple as that...who know's..

Albert Goldman
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Albert Goldman »

memphisound wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote::P
memphisound wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
memphisound wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Make money?

I don't know if thats a legit response or sarcasm but it could've been just as simple as that...who know's..
It was not sarcasm. Elvis had been on a bit lighter medication for awhile and working hard. He must have been under incredible pressure. It was time to relax and he popped pills.