Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:19 am

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:Hitstory corrected the mistakes made on 30 #1s and added a third CD. To date, this is the best Elvis compilation in my opinion.

I disagree. Elvis 75, mastered by "The Master", is, IMO, the only greatest hits Elvis collection needed.

Absolutely. In all respects it is the "go to" set for the newbie willing to commit to 4 CDs of Elvis Presley.

I think thats a fair point, but as you state, you wont find many newbies or generally most people willing to go for a 4 cd set if they are not big fans of an artist. 2 disc sets are the most common anthologies and are enough for most people. I think Elvis 75 is a nice set but maybe too much for a newbie. I also think it has it flaws and obvious omissions.

It's the place to go for a "newbie" who receives it as a gift. ;-)

I see virtually no "obvious omissions" or "flaws," it takes in the scope of the career and hits every crucial recording. The accompanying booklet provides significant insight, and it also points the way to go for whatever aspect of his career appeals most. And it's a really beautiful package, from the elegant understated cover to the choice of photos, colors and fonts. They hit a home run with Elvis '75: Good Rockin' Tonight.

Oh, and I completely agree that Travis Tritt does not beat Elvis in any way on "T-R-O-U-B-L-E."

Rock on, Duke Bardwell!!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:46 am

stevelecher wrote:No offense, but Elvis' T.R.O.U.B.L.E. is beaten by Travis Tritt? Not in my universe it's not.

I am with you. There is no way Tritt even comes close to E's vocals.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:01 am

Travis Tritt my a*s!!!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 am

Elvis version it's better.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 am

Travis Tritt's version of T.R.O.U.B.L.E. is very good, in my opinion, and isn't far removed from Elvis's recording, although his feels more like a honky tonk shuffle that's cranked up, as opposed to a rocker, which Elvis's version is. There's great drumming, bass and guitar work apparent in both, but Tritt's phrasing and a country twang allows his approach to be somehwat looser than Elvis's. I prefer Elvis's version of the two, but do rate Tritt highly as a singer, songwriter and a performer.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:31 pm

greystoke wrote:Travis Tritt's version of T.R.O.U.B.L.E. is very good, in my opinion, and isn't far removed from Elvis's recording, although his feels more like a honky tonk shuffle that's cranked up, as opposed to a rocker, which Elvis's version is. There's great drumming, bass and guitar work apparent in both, but Tritt's phrasing and a country twang allows his approach to be somehwat looser than Elvis's. I prefer Elvis's version of the two, but do rate Tritt highly as a singer, songwriter and a performer.

I'm no fan, but where Elvis' recording is rock 'n' roll with a country flavor, Travis' is country pop with a pinch of rock. So that, plus the good-natured Presley vocal, is why I prefer the 1975 recording.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:Hitstory corrected the mistakes made on 30 #1s and added a third CD. To date, this is the best Elvis compilation in my opinion.

I disagree. Elvis 75, mastered by "The Master", is, IMO, the only greatest hits Elvis collection needed.

Absolutely. In all respects it is the "go to" set for the newbie willing to commit to 4 CDs of Elvis Presley.

I think thats a fair point, but as you state, you wont find many newbies or generally most people willing to go for a 4 cd set if they are not big fans of an artist. 2 disc sets are the most common anthologies and are enough for most people. I think Elvis 75 is a nice set but maybe too much for a newbie. I also think it has it flaws and obvious omissions.

It's the place to go for a "newbie" who receives it as a gift. ;-)

I see virtually no "obvious omissions" or "flaws," it takes in the scope of the career and hits every crucial recording. The accompanying booklet provides significant insight, and it also points the way to go for whatever aspect of his career appeals most. And it's a really beautiful package, from the elegant understated cover to the choice of photos, colors and fonts. They hit a home run with Elvis '75: Good Rockin' Tonight.

Oh, and I completely agree that Travis Tritt does not beat Elvis in any way on "T-R-O-U-B-L-E."

Rock on, Duke Bardwell!!

Agree Elvis has the much superior version. Back to Elvis 75, I think these are obvious omissions as someone pointed out. "I Beg Of You," "Ain't That Loving You Baby," "I Got Stung," "Santa Claus Is Back In Town," "Loving You," "Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)," "Trying To Get To You" (still an Elvis concert favorite thru the 70's. These songs included instead of others would have made this an A-one perfection 4 cd set.

This sequence on disc 3 just kills the whole momentum of it for me:
7. This Is My Heaven
8. Adam And Evil
9. How Great Thou Art

Also Only The Strong Survive. Nice rendition, but doesnt better the original. Another 69 Memphis cut would have been a better choice, like maybe LBL or POML perhaps. Maybe even Hey Jude. Just kidding.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:59 pm

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's the place to go for a "newbie" who receives it as a gift. ;-)

Rock on, Duke Bardwell!!

Agree Elvis has the much superior version. Back to Elvis 75, I think these are obvious omissions as someone pointed out. "I Beg Of You," "Ain't That Loving You Baby," "I Got Stung," "Santa Claus Is Back In Town," "Loving You," "Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)," "Trying To Get To You" (still an Elvis concert favorite thru the 70's. These songs included instead of others would have made this an A-one perfection 4 cd set.

You're splitting hairs over personal favorites.

Addressing each of your specific laments, the set already includes his best-known Christmas song and two other essential tracks from the September 1957 date, the top three of five June 1958 recordings, the finest tracks from his second film, the two most thrilling tunes from the July 1956 sessions, and six unbeatable Sun single sides.

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-75-Good-Rockin-Tonight-Presley/dp/tracks/B002QVBP6O/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

The ones you mention may be found by those who want to dig deeper into each particular session.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:04 am

r&b wrote:This sequence on disc 3 just kills the whole momentum of it for me:
7. This Is My Heaven
8. Adam And Evil
9. How Great Thou Art

You don't remember Elvis in 1966-1967?

That sequence neatly sums up the era, on many levels: a good ballad on a yet another mediocre soundtrack, clichéd rocker by veteran songwriting team burned out on the Presley movie soundtrack treadmill, and stunning gospel song cut by the prodigal son seeking answers.

Again, a LOT of thought and care went into Elvis '75: Good Rockin' Tonight. And the audio, start-to-finish, is SUPERB.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:07 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Travis Tritt my a*s!!!

Would you have said that if we were talking about Kenny Rogers?!

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
7. This Is My Heaven
8. Adam And Evil
9. How Great Thou Art

That sequence neatly sums up the era, on many levels: a good ballad on a yet another mediocre soundtrack, clichéd rocker by veteran songwriting team burned out on the Presley movie soundtrack treadmill, and stunning gospel song cut by the prodigal son seeking answers.

Again, a LOT of thought and care went into Elvis '75: Good Rockin' Tonight. And the audio, start-to-finish, is SUPERB.

LOL of course I do. Spinout is a very cool track and so is Stop Look & Listen or I'll Be Back, but Adam & Evil? Did someone at the label listen to this soundtrack & think Adam & Evil was actually better? Nothing from PHS should ever be used on anything period and most people skip over religious songs. Yeah I get the whole grammy thing, but this song is way too churchy for even me and I am a believer. I may be splitting hairs as you say, but it could have been better, actually perfect IMO with a few tweaks here & there.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:49 am

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
7. This Is My Heaven
8. Adam And Evil
9. How Great Thou Art

LOL of course I do. Spinout is a very cool track and so is Stop Look & Listen or I'll Be Back, but Adam & Evil? Did someone at the label listen to this soundtrack & think Adam & Evil was actually better? Nothing from PHS should ever be used on anything period and most people skip over religious songs. Yeah I get the whole grammy thing, but this song is way too churchy for even me and I am a believer. I may be splitting hairs as you say, but it could have been better, actually perfect IMO with a few tweaks here & there.

Agreed. 8)

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:49 am

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
7. This Is My Heaven
8. Adam And Evil
9. How Great Thou Art

I don't see any of your suggested tweaks being better than what was selected. As for movie soundtracks in the mid-sixties, that WAS the career path Elvis was taking. So choosing representative numbers was almost a "pick your poison" affair. That said, the connection "Adam and Evil" has to "I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago" may be one reason Ernst Jørgensen included it.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:07 am

This Is My Heaven is probably the best song from PHS, and a good song in itself. Although I like Adam And Evil, I would agree either Stop, Look And Listen or All That I Am would have been a better choice.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:42 pm

TINML wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
7. This Is My Heaven
8. Adam And Evil
9. How Great Thou Art

Agreed. 8)

Thanks, I think you get where I am coming from. Nice sound quality and book aside, it would have been a perfect set with some of the stuff I have cited.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:45 pm

skatterbrane wrote:This Is My Heaven is probably the best song from PHS, and a good song in itself. Although I like Adam And Evil, I would agree either Stop, Look And Listen or All That I Am would have been a better choice.

The best song from PHS is not high praise lol. That movie should be forgotten all together and the only Elvis movie link to Hawaii should be Blue Hawaii. I think thats enough. Representing 1966, there are much better movie song choices.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's the place to go for a "newbie" who receives it as a gift. ;-)

Rock on, Duke Bardwell!!

You're splitting hairs over personal favorites.

Addressing each of your specific laments, the set already includes his best-known Christmas song and two other essential tracks from the September 1957 date, the top three of five June 1958 recordings, the finest tracks from his second film, the two most thrilling tunes from the July 1956 sessions, and six unbeatable Sun single sides.

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-75-Good-Rockin-Tonight-Presley/dp/tracks/B002QVBP6O/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

The ones you mention may be found by those who want to dig deeper into each particular session.

I disagree. I don't think you need to cover every session or every year to do a proper career-spanning set. The inclusion of "Adam And Evil" and "This Is My Heaven" simply don't belong. Some of the late 60's and '70's choices leave a lot to be desired or they simply show a bias.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have a set that has all the AAA+ songs on it, than has a selection covering every year or each session. I guess the problem is that Elvis has so many hits, some of which are indisputable while others aren't. To leave out some of the choice cuts from the 50's over songs such as "Adam And Evil" and "This Is My Heaven" is inexcusable.

I still think FECC should try to put together a campaign to compile the tracklisting of the next major career retrospective.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:40 am

Daryl wrote:I disagree. I don't think you need to cover every session or every year to do a proper career-spanning set.

I have no idea what you are disagreeing about. The producers of Elvis '75: Good Rockin' Tonight did not cover "every session or every year" in that set.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:19 am

Adam and Evil should not have been on the set,
This is my Heaven is also a dubious choice.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Daryl wrote:I disagree. I don't think you need to cover every session or every year to do a proper career-spanning set.

I have no idea what you are disagreeing about. The producers of Elvis '75: Good Rockin' Tonight did not cover "every session or every year" in that set.

No they didn't cover every session but I'm pretty sure they covered every year except 1959 and 1974. Elvis was in the Army and didn't make any professional recordings. As for 1974, the only multi-track recordings Elvis made that year was the live Memphis show. But nonetheless, there was no reason whatsoever to include "This Is My Heaven" and "Adam And Evil" on a set of this magnitude. Don't get me wrong, they're nice recordings, but by no means do they stand out head above shoulders amongst Elvis' greatest recordings from either a historical or a performance perspective. The same could be said for the likes of "The Fool," "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues," and "Only The Strong Survive." I don't necessarily agree that both sides of the 1976 single "Hurt" / "For The Heart" belonged on the set either. I also don't agree that "Unchained Melody" ranks among the 18 finest 70's recordings Elvis made. There's 18 songs on disc 4 that are from 1970-1977. Are "The Fool," "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues," "Hurt," "For The Heart" and "Unchained Melody" among the 18 best recordings Elvis made during that time period? They are all very good recordings but I think if you took the time, you could easily come up with a better disc 4. And no way is "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" one of the 18 finest recordings Elvis ever made between 1970-1977, even with Duke Bardwell's bass playing.

I know that not every fan is going to come to a consensus as everyone has their own personal favorites.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:17 am

If they only the best songs on every compilation, then every compilation would have the same songs on them.

The idea is to "represent" a particular session or year, and usually there are a number to choose from.

No one is going to agree on any given compilation but if your favorite is not here, it'll be on the next one,
or was already on the last one.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:28 am

Daryl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No they didn't cover every session but I'm pretty sure they covered every year except 1959 and 1974.

What I said.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Daryl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No they didn't cover every session but I'm pretty sure they covered every year except 1959 and 1974. Elvis was in the Army and didn't make any professional recordings. As for 1974, the only multi-track recordings Elvis made that year was the live Memphis show. But nonetheless, there was no reason whatsoever to include "This Is My Heaven" and "Adam And Evil" on a set of this magnitude. Don't get me wrong, they're nice recordings, but by no means do they stand out head above shoulders amongst Elvis' greatest recordings from either a historical or a performance perspective. The same could be said for the likes of "The Fool," "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues," and "Only The Strong Survive." I don't necessarily agree that both sides of the 1976 single "Hurt" / "For The Heart" belonged on the set either. I also don't agree that "Unchained Melody" ranks among the 18 finest 70's recordings Elvis made. There's 18 songs on disc 4 that are from 1970-1977. Are "The Fool," "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues," "Hurt," "For The Heart" and "Unchained Melody" among the 18 best recordings Elvis made during that time period? They are all very good recordings but I think if you took the time, you could easily come up with a better disc 4. And no way is "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" one of the 18 finest recordings Elvis ever made between 1970-1977, even with Duke Bardwell's bass playing.

I know that not every fan is going to come to a consensus as everyone has their own personal favorites.[/quote

I think disc 4 is a good selection, but it doesn't hurt to have different opinions.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:41 pm

greystoke wrote:
Daryl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

That said, I still don't think it is perfect. Any career retrospective that includes the likes of "Adam And Evil" and "This Is My Heaven' still misses the boat. Beyond that, including "The Fool" is a bit of a head-scratcher. Don't get me wrong, I like Elvis' recording of "The Fool," but it's simply a note for note remake of the Sanford Clark original. I feel the same way about Elvis' version of "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues." Again, a fine performance on Elvis' part, but also the Danny O'Keefe hit record is better. As for "T-R-O-U-B-L-E," Travis Tritt surpassed Elvis' version. Tritt's version has more muscle while Elvis' version simply plods along. And I still don't know what "hunka poke-a face" means. I also feel that there was a bias against the Las Vegas styled ballads that Elvis became more recognized for in the 70s whereas the rock material from that same decade was emphasized more. This led to the omission of hits "The Wonder Of You" and "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" specifically as well as "Separate Ways" "You Gave Me A Mountain," and "What Now My Love" (from Aloha).

There's still a lot to like about "Elvis 75 Good Rockin' Tonight," though. I like most of the choices from the 50's, though I would have included "I Beg Of You," "Ain't That Loving You Baby," "I Got Stung," "Santa Claus Is Back In Town," "Loving You," "Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)," "Trying To Get To You," "Blue Moon," "So Glad You're Mine," "Anyplace Is Paradise," "Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do," "(Let's Have A) Party," "Young And Beautiful," "As Long As I Have You," and the list goes on and on. I guess it's just so hard to come up with a tracklisting that everyone could agree on.

It's "pokie bait," which is the same as jail bait.

Ya beat me 2 it ....

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Daryl wrote:There's 18 songs on disc 4 that are from 1970-1977. Are "The Fool," "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues," "Hurt," "For The Heart" and "Unchained Melody" among the 18 best recordings Elvis made during that time period? They are all very good recordings but I think if you took the time, you could easily come up with a better disc 4. And no way is "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" one of the 18 finest recordings Elvis ever made between 1970-1977, even with Duke Bardwell's bass playing

Which are the 18 best recordings Elvis made during the seventies according to you?