Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TINML wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TINML wrote:So the versions of E1 on sale don't have the alt takes Bendeth used in 2002?

I doubt they updated the 2002 release, but made the change when it was included in 2005's HITSTORY.

Thanks Doc, believe it or not I want to get a new copy before it goes OOP since I like a few of the Bendeth mixes and I've worn out my copy.

You wore out a CD?

More like scratched the crap out of it as it was always in my car CD changer in high school before I learned how to properly care for physical media (and burning to disposable CDR's).

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:57 am

Ciscoking wrote:Suspicious Minds and Burning Love are killers on this release..thank you David.... ::rocks .....

Suspicious Minds is seriously cocked up on this release. Moronic decision to allow such a failed experiment to make it on to a major commercial release. E1 has the distinction of being the best selling Presley compilation bearing some of the worst creative and production decisions. Alternate performances in place of the actual #1 records they claim to represent, botched production experiments on It's Now Or Never and Suspicious Minds, and horrid mastering choices. It's a shame because things like the Burning Love mix could've sounded so good.

Boys and their toys.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:47 am

StefanKock1 wrote:The single / On Stage version isn't the February 19th 1970 version, but comes from the dinner show on February 18th 1970. It's actually the very first live performance of this song.

The 30 #1 Hits version is from the February 18th 1970 midnight show.

The version found on the FTD Polk Salad Annie is the same as on the 30#1's.
And the FTD CD states that TWOY was recorded during the "Dinner Show". But that can't be right.
So if The On Stage version is the version from the DS the single/Polk Salad Annie/30#1's must come from the midnight show.
isn't that so?

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:25 am

lpa wrote:The version found on the FTD Polk Salad Annie is the same as on the 30#1's.
And the FTD CD states that TWOY was recorded during the "Dinner Show". But that can't be right.
So if The On Stage version is the version from the DS the single/Polk Salad Annie/30#1's must come from the midnight show.
isn't that so?

Correct. Both feature the 2-18-1970 MS recording of "The Wonder of You." The 2004 FTD credit is a typo.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:28 am

r&b wrote:Hitstory corrected the mistakes made on 30 #1s and added a third CD. To date, this is the best Elvis compilation in my opinion.

I disagree. Elvis 75, mastered by "The Master", is, IMO, the only greatest hits Elvis collection needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:32 am

elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:Hitstory corrected the mistakes made on 30 #1s and added a third CD. To date, this is the best Elvis compilation in my opinion.

I disagree. Elvis 75, mastered by "The Master", is, IMO, the only greatest hits Elvis collection needed.

Indeed. So what if Adam And Evil is included. It's a very good collection.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Daryl wrote:The thing is, Bendeth took flak for using the wrong takes. So did Ernst for using the complete take 3 on the 50's box set. I remember Goldmine or one of those types of magazines had a letter in it from a fan who bitched about this in the Letters to the Editor section. No one is immune to mistakes.

The master take was always the desired cut for the '50s box, using the alternate was not a conscious choice, as was the case with the tracks on ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits.

How many times must this be said before it sinks in? These are facts.

Still, Ernst and Roger didn't listen to the finished project before it was released and catch this? Ernst is enough of a fan to have caught this. I knew it was wrong the first time I heard it. It amazes me this could have happened.

Same complaint with 30#1's. Nobody at the company knew the bad decisions that were being made and stopped them? So aggravating.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 am

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The master take was always the desired cut for the '50s box, using the alternate was not a conscious choice, as was the case with the tracks on ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits.

Still, Ernst and Roger didn't listen to the finished project before it was released and catch this? Ernst is enough of a fan to have caught this. I knew it was wrong the first time I heard it. It amazes me this could have happened.

Same complaint with 30#1's. Nobody at the company knew the bad decisions that were being made and stopped them? So aggravating.

I very much doubt they were given a pre-release sign-off on this particular project. It was not theirs. That's how it works.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:02 pm

elvis-fan wrote:

IMO, by not including I Got Stung or I Beg of You and having some lame movie tunes, Elvis 75 falls short. Im speaking the general public here. There too many compilations to begin with, but if Joe Consumer wants the cream Hitstory is the way to go. It also containes no gospel, which even though is part of the Elvis story, most people would not care about. If they want Elvis gospel, there are CDs for that.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:32 pm

One of the major drawbacks to ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits was the producer's decision to include several "alternate" recordings. In each example they were markedly inferior to the ones that ruled the charts and got all the radio airplay, and it remains infuriating that millions who bought the album assumed these tracks were the ones Elvis approved. A major-label archival release should never allow such mistakes to be made, no matter what the extenuating circumstances.

Couldn't agree more Doc. You wouldn't hang a very good, but not precisely the same version of The Mona Lisa in The Louvre and let people assume it's the original. The fact the wrong, inferior version of The Wonder Of You still gets airplay now, in error, by radio stations believing it to be the original is nothing short of scandalous.

The original single version, with overdubs, remains the definitive Elvis version of the song, and should be the only one people hear when they're expecting to hear Elvis's hit single. The same is equally true of the other tracks replaced.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The master take was always the desired cut for the '50s box, using the alternate was not a conscious choice, as was the case with the tracks on ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits.

I very much doubt they were given a pre-release sign-off on this particular project. It was not theirs. That's how it works.

I was talking about the 50's Complete Masters set when talking about Ernst and Roger not catching a mistake. And then I lamented everyone's lack of concern about alternate takes showing up on the later, major release of all his number 1's. I too have heard this alternate of The Wonder Of You played on the radio. Hate it.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:12 pm

E1 was going to sell because of:

It had 31 of Elvis' hits on one cd.

It had the incredible timing of a current hit song going, ALLC.

And the marketing was great.

It was going to sell (it did) even if the sound was not up to proper CD standards.

It was going to sell ( it did) even if the wrong versions were used.

It was going to sell (it did) no matter who the producer was credited.

So, the producer got very lucky and was in a good place at the right time.

No credit should go to the producer in this case.

The producer produced a hugely inferior product that happened to sell well at the time.

And now the fall out is inferior versions of songs are being played on the radio.

That is not a good legacy, but in the music business it's all about numbers and
so, it's considered a success because it made a ton of money, no matter how deceptive the means were.
In the musis business the ends justify the means, if it makes alot of money.

I am sure Bendith brags to his friends and colleages or takes credit for, about how he was responsible for the biggest selling Elvis cd ever.

It's a mixed up world.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:44 pm

r&b wrote:There too many compilations to begin with, but if Joe Consumer wants the cream Hitstory is the way to go. It also containes no gospel, which even though is part of the Elvis story, most people would not care about. If they want Elvis gospel, there are CDs for that.

I don't believe this is correct. Elvis' gospel recordings are still among his best selling and the reason Sony continues to reissue them year after year. Reviews of this 2007 release speaks volumes about what fans think of Elvis' gospel recordings... http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Ultimate-Gospel-Presley/dp/B000MV8D10/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 am

elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:There too many compilations to begin with, but if Joe Consumer wants the cream Hitstory is the way to go. It also containes no gospel, which even though is part of the Elvis story, most people would not care about. If they want Elvis gospel, there are CDs for that.

I don't believe this is correct. Elvis' gospel recordings are still among his best selling and the reason Sony continues to reissue them year after year. Reviews of this 2007 release speaks volumes about what fans think of Elvis' gospel recordings... http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Ultimate-Gospel-Presley/dp/B000MV8D10/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

A lot of the fans that give glowing 5 star reviews on Amazon for Elvis or any artist are the real loyal die-hard fans of that artist who buy everything. I think you will find the average fan walking the street would not care one iota about gospel, or 60's movie songs. I just went on the site and looked at some of the reviews. As expected they were by people who have every boxset, buy FTDs and generally collect anything Elvis releated. As a very casual fan in my office told me, she was quite content with Hitstory and would need nothing more. I think for most avergae fans this would be true. Many people dont want more than a 2 -disc set for the best of an artist (I know thats quite enough for me on other artists) never mind 4. And for a 4 disc set, Elvis 75 is missing some important tracks and in their place are much lesser tracks.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 am

Hey, I LIKE Adam And Evil as well as most of the songs on Spinout. I think Elvis 75 is more an anthology than a greatest hits package, which makes it a bit more interesting.

Artist Of The Century is another choice.
Last edited by skatterbrane on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 am

skatterbrane wrote:Hey, I LIKE Adam And Evil as well as most of the songs on Spinout. I think Elvis 75 is more an anthology than a greatest hits package, which makes it a bit more interesting.

I love the Spinout soundtrack (most of it!), but again looking at this from the averege consumer who just wants the cream recordings of Elvis, I think Hitsory suits it best. In fact, that may be too much for some of the less ardent fans. Yes Elvis 75 is akin to an Anthology which covers all aspects of his career and that is fine for those who want a little more. (Still should have had I Got Stung and I Beg of You though!)
Last edited by r&b on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:42 am

Yes, HitStory is more of a hits collection, I have both the US and the UK version. The UK version has more songs on disc 3. Disc 3 is less of a hits collection than the other two dics however.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:14 am

r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

A lot of the fans that give glowing 5 star reviews on Amazon for Elvis or any artist are the real loyal die-hard fans of that artist who buy everything. I think you will find the average fan walking the street would not care one iota about gospel, or 60's movie songs. I just went on the site and looked at some of the reviews. As expected they were by people who have every boxset, buy FTDs and generally collect anything Elvis releated. As a very casual fan in my office told me, she was quite content with Hitstory and would need nothing more. I think for most avergae fans this would be true. Many people dont want more than a 2 -disc set for the best of an artist (I know thats quite enough for me on other artists) never mind 4. And for a 4 disc set, Elvis 75 is missing some important tracks and in their place are much lesser tracks.

We'll agree to disagree... carry on...

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:55 am

elvis-fan wrote:

Absolutely. In all respects it is the "go to" set for the newbie willing to commit to 4 CDs of Elvis Presley.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Absolutely. In all respects it is the "go to" set for the newbie willing to commit to 4 CDs of Elvis Presley.

That said, I still don't think it is perfect. Any career retrospective that includes the likes of "Adam And Evil" and "This Is My Heaven' still misses the boat. Beyond that, including "The Fool" is a bit of a head-scratcher. Don't get me wrong, I like Elvis' recording of "The Fool," but it's simply a note for note remake of the Sanford Clark original. I feel the same way about Elvis' version of "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues." Again, a fine performance on Elvis' part, but also the Danny O'Keefe hit record is better. As for "T-R-O-U-B-L-E," Travis Tritt surpassed Elvis' version. Tritt's version has more muscle while Elvis' version simply plods along. And I still don't know what "hunka poke-a face" means. I also feel that there was a bias against the Las Vegas styled ballads that Elvis became more recognized for in the 70s whereas the rock material from that same decade was emphasized more. This led to the omission of hits "The Wonder Of You" and "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" specifically as well as "Separate Ways" "You Gave Me A Mountain," and "What Now My Love" (from Aloha).

There's still a lot to like about "Elvis 75 Good Rockin' Tonight," though. I like most of the choices from the 50's, though I would have included "I Beg Of You," "Ain't That Loving You Baby," "I Got Stung," "Santa Claus Is Back In Town," "Loving You," "Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)," "Trying To Get To You," "Blue Moon," "So Glad You're Mine," "Anyplace Is Paradise," "Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do," "(Let's Have A) Party," "Young And Beautiful," "As Long As I Have You," and the list goes on and on. I guess it's just so hard to come up with a tracklisting that everyone could agree on.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:17 am

Cant stand when Sony & co try to re-write history.
Same thing with A Fool such as I.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Agreed. I gave this box set to my wife and she liked it (well, except for most of Disc Four :roll: ).

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

I think thats a fair point, but as you state, you wont find many newbies or generally most people willing to go for a 4 cd set if they are not big fans of an artist. 2 disc sets are the most common anthologies and are enough for most people. I think Elvis 75 is a nice set but maybe too much for a newbie. I also think it has it flaws and obvious omissions.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:48 pm

No offense, but Elvis' T.R.O.U.B.L.E. is beaten by Travis Tritt? Not in my universe it's not.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 am

Daryl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

That said, I still don't think it is perfect. Any career retrospective that includes the likes of "Adam And Evil" and "This Is My Heaven' still misses the boat. Beyond that, including "The Fool" is a bit of a head-scratcher. Don't get me wrong, I like Elvis' recording of "The Fool," but it's simply a note for note remake of the Sanford Clark original. I feel the same way about Elvis' version of "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues." Again, a fine performance on Elvis' part, but also the Danny O'Keefe hit record is better. As for "T-R-O-U-B-L-E," Travis Tritt surpassed Elvis' version. Tritt's version has more muscle while Elvis' version simply plods along. And I still don't know what "hunka poke-a face" means. I also feel that there was a bias against the Las Vegas styled ballads that Elvis became more recognized for in the 70s whereas the rock material from that same decade was emphasized more. This led to the omission of hits "The Wonder Of You" and "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" specifically as well as "Separate Ways" "You Gave Me A Mountain," and "What Now My Love" (from Aloha).

There's still a lot to like about "Elvis 75 Good Rockin' Tonight," though. I like most of the choices from the 50's, though I would have included "I Beg Of You," "Ain't That Loving You Baby," "I Got Stung," "Santa Claus Is Back In Town," "Loving You," "Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)," "Trying To Get To You," "Blue Moon," "So Glad You're Mine," "Anyplace Is Paradise," "Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do," "(Let's Have A) Party," "Young And Beautiful," "As Long As I Have You," and the list goes on and on. I guess it's just so hard to come up with a tracklisting that everyone could agree on.

It's "pokie bait," which is the same as jail bait.