Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:59 am

The single version of The Wonder of You was the live version recorded on February 19, 1970 which also appears on the On Stage album.

The Wikipedia article about the song states that it was one of Elvis' biggest hits never recorded in a studio...

...so when was the version on the 30 #1 Hits album recorded? Why didn't they use that one as the single version?

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:19 am

The single / On Stage version isn't the February 19th 1970 version, but comes from the dinner show on February 18th 1970. It's actually the very first live performance of this song.

The 30 #1 Hits version is from the February 18th 1970 midnight show.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:24 am

Oh ok. I never noticed the 30 #1 Hits version was live. I don't listen to the song very often, but I just now heard the applause at the end.
Last edited by Austin on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:37 am

I think RCA picked the right version to release on single / On Stage album. 30#1s is also a good performance but can't beat the single version.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:41 am

Eap3577 wrote:I think RCA picked the right version to release on single / On Stage album. 30#1s is also a good performance but can't beat the single version.

Yes, the single version is far superior. It's unbelievable the inferior version was used on 30#1's.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:45 am

stevelecher wrote:
Eap3577 wrote:I think RCA picked the right version to release on single / On Stage album. 30#1s is also a good performance but can't beat the single version.

Yes, the single version is far superior. It's unbelievable the inferior version was used on 30#1's.


One of the major drawbacks to ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits was the producer's decision to include several "alternate" recordings. In each example they were markedly inferior to the ones that ruled the charts and got all the radio airplay, and it remains infuriating that millions who bought the album assumed these tracks were the ones Elvis approved. A major-label archival release should never allow such mistakes to be made, no matter what the extenuating circumstances.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:31 am

What were the other alternate ones?

I've read once that 'A Big Hunk o' Love' was a different take, but I can't tell a difference in it and the one on the Gold Records Vol. 2 album. Unless there's something I'm missing...

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:
Eap3577 wrote:I think RCA picked the right version to release on single / On Stage album. 30#1s is also a good performance but can't beat the single version.

Yes, the single version is far superior. It's unbelievable the inferior version was used on 30#1's.


One of the major drawbacks to ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits was the producer's decision to include several "alternate" recordings. In each example they were markedly inferior to the ones that ruled the charts and got all the radio airplay, and it remains infuriating that millions who bought the album assumed these tracks were the ones Elvis approved. A major-label archival release should never allow such mistakes to be made, no matter what the extenuating circumstances.


But were they "mistakes"?

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:58 am

Doc, you're right. On the Elvis:30 #1 Hits should have been ONLY the versions released as singles and approved by Elvis. The alternate versions could be as bonus songs or in an other LP possibly named-Elvis 30: # Hits-alternate versions.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:21 am

The original single of A Big Hunk O'Love was a splice of Tk.s 3 & 4 but the version on 30#1s was Tk.3 (not sure if Tk.3 is now considered the "master"). As for the "mistakes". I dont think they were put on by mistake but personally i think it was a mistake not to use the original single versions !!

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 am

Austin wrote:What were the other alternate ones?

I've read once that 'A Big Hunk o' Love' was a different take, but I can't tell a difference in it and the one on the Gold Records Vol. 2 album. Unless there's something I'm missing...


ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits - Alternate Takes

(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I (alternate, take 8 ... master take is 9)
A Big Hunk O' Love (alternate, take 3 ... master is a splice of takes 3 and 4)
The Wonder Of You (alternate, 2-18-1970 MS ... master is from the 2-18-1970 DS)

---

The producers of the 2002 CD were all about audio, not history, the notion of presenting the original singles, as approved by Elvis and released by RCA, an afterthought. Sadly, even by that measure, they mostly fell very short. The audio details are found in this somewhat technical, but fascinating, review of ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits by future FTD mastering engineer Sebastian Jeannson:

An Audio Review in the Spirit of Steve Sholes: ELV1S 30 #1 Hits
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/fecc/r_e1.htm
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:57 pm

I think you will find that the master of "A Big Hunk O' Love" is take 3 with the piano solo spliced in from take 4 (take 4’s piano solo + Jordanaires bass vocals, comes in just as Elvis sings, “That’s right...Uh... (Hiccup!), [0:40] then BOOM, splice [0:57], just before the "You’re just a natural born beehive…” & you’re back in take 3) :)

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:05 am

Austin wrote:What were the other alternate ones?

I've read once that 'A Big Hunk o' Love' was a different take, but I can't tell a difference in it and the one on the Gold Records Vol. 2 album. Unless there's something I'm missing...

They are the same and NEITHER is the master. I think you have to get a CD from the 80s or early 90s to get the master version. (FTD Gold Vol 2 has it too)

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:09 am

Eap3577 wrote:The original single of A Big Hunk O'Love was a splice of Tk.s 3 & 4 but the version on 30#1s was Tk.3 (not sure if Tk.3 is now considered the "master"). As for the "mistakes". I dont think they were put on by mistake but personally i think it was a mistake not to use the original single versions !!


If they are not mistakes, why did the reissue of the US version correct most of them? The UK version still has the alternate takes. I think they were inadvertent, not intentional. But the unspliced take of A Big Hunk Of Love has been used on most official releases for years now. Much like the unspliced take of I Want To Be Free has also been used for years now, neither is the correct master. I guess if you repeat the mistake over and over again, eventually people will assume they are the correct masters.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:42 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Austin wrote:What were the other alternate ones?

I've read once that 'A Big Hunk o' Love' was a different take, but I can't tell a difference in it and the one on the Gold Records Vol. 2 album. Unless there's something I'm missing...


ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits - Alternate Takes

(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I (alternate, take 8 ... master take is 9)
A Big Hunk O' Love (alternate, take 3 ... master is take 4 with the piano solo spliced in from take 3)
The Wonder Of You (alternate, 2-18-1970 MS ... master is from the 2-18-1970 DS)

---

The producers of the 2002 CD were all about audio, not history, the notion of presenting the original singles, as approved by Elvis and released by RCA, an afterthought. Sadly, even by that measure, they mostly fell very short. The audio details are found in this somewhat technical, but fascinating, review of ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits by future FTD mastering engineer Sebastian Jeannson:

An Audio Review in the Spirit of Steve Sholes: ELV1S 30 #1 Hits
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/fecc/r_e1.htm


Doc, who are the producers?. Please explain. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:55 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Doc, who are the producers?. Please explain. Thanks!


Producer David Bendeth was responsible for choosing every single track, including the alternates, on ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits. I am surprised you do not own a copy of it.

If you read the review link I posted, you will see that Jeansson also interviews him regarding his audio work and decisions.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:57 am

skatterbrane wrote:
Eap3577 wrote:The original single of A Big Hunk O'Love was a splice of Tk.s 3 & 4 but the version on 30#1s was Tk.3 (not sure if Tk.3 is now considered the "master"). As for the "mistakes". I dont think they were put on by mistake but personally i think it was a mistake not to use the original single versions !!


If they are not mistakes, why did the reissue of the US version correct most of them? The UK version still has the alternate takes. I think they were inadvertent, not intentional.


This is incorrect. All tracks were specifically selected, and so noted in interviews at the time. Again, this is infuriating for anyone who respects the artistry of Elvis Presley, or the original recordings which topped the charts.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:59 am

DayVee Bee wrote:I think you will find that the master of "A Big Hunk O' Love" is take 3 with the piano solo spliced in from take 4 (take 4’s piano solo + Jordanaires bass vocals, comes in just as Elvis sings, “That’s right...Uh... (Hiccup!), [0:40] then BOOM, splice [0:57], just before the "You’re just a natural born beehive…” & you’re back in take 3) :)


I can't really remember, the main thing is the version on ELV1S 30 #1 Hits is not the single everyone heard, bought and saw go to #1 in 1959. I'll update my post, though. Thanks.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:04 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Doc, who are the producers?. Please explain. Thanks!


Producer David Bendeth was responsible for choosing every single track, including the alternates, on ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits. I am surprised you do not own a copy of it.

If you read the review link I posted, you will see that Jeansson also interviews him regarding his audio work and decisions.


Yes I have the cd :wink:, but you stated producers and I thought it was David Bendeth only. That´s why I was asking. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
Eap3577 wrote:The original single of A Big Hunk O'Love was a splice of Tk.s 3 & 4 but the version on 30#1s was Tk.3 (not sure if Tk.3 is now considered the "master"). As for the "mistakes". I dont think they were put on by mistake but personally i think it was a mistake not to use the original single versions !!


If they are not mistakes, why did the reissue of the US version correct most of them? The UK version still has the alternate takes. I think they were inadvertent, not intentional.


This is incorrect. All tracks were specifically selected, and so noted in interviews at the time. Again, this is infuriating for anyone who respects the artistry of Elvis Presley, or the original recordings which topped the charts.


Okay. Do you know why the 3 incorrect takes were subsequently replaced with the masters on later pressings of the US version of Elv1s?
(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
A Big Hunk O' Love
The Wonder Of You

And on The Wonder Of You, they updated this CD with the correct take, but it is the undubbed version (thankfully) It is obvious that when they replaced the incorrect takes with the master takes, the same production standards were used. (the remixing, remastering style is implemented).

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:28 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Yes I have the cd :wink:, but you stated producers and I thought it was David Bendeth only. That´s why I was asking. Thanks!


If you look at your copy of the CD, it should show three names, which why I used the plural form.


The compilation was produced and mixed in stereo and 5.1 by David Bendeth with remastering by Ted Jensen on the first thirteen songs and George Marino on the last sixteen songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELV1S#Compilation.2C_production_and_releases

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:32 am

skatterbrane wrote:Okay. Do you know why the 3 incorrect takes were subsequently replaced with the masters on later pressings of the US version of Elv1s?
(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
A Big Hunk O' Love
The Wonder Of You

And on The Wonder Of You, they updated this CD with the correct take, but it is the undubbed version (thankfully) It is obvious that when they replaced the incorrect takes with the master takes, the same production standards were used. (the remixing, remastering style is implemented).


Probably someone read the informed comments on FECC and realized they screwed up. ;-)

If the 2005 HITSTORY collection, which is what I assume you are referring to, uses the undubbed single master of "The Wonder Of You" then they still don't get it. That's not the single released in 1970. The backing vocals were redone because the original recording betrayed that the Sweets singing off-key.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Yes I have the cd :wink:, but you stated producers and I thought it was David Bendeth only. That´s why I was asking. Thanks!


If you look at your copy of the CD, it should show three names, which why I used the plural form.


The compilation was produced and mixed in stereo and 5.1 by David Bendeth with remastering by Ted Jensen on the first thirteen songs and George Marino on the last sixteen songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELV1S#Compilation.2C_production_and_releases



I checked the booklet and my copy states it is David Bendeth but there are also two other names: Ernst Jorgensen & Roger Semon :wink:. And they are listed as a sort of producers as well as they compiled & researched it. Thanks. Bye for now :smt006.

Image

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Okay. Do you know why the 3 incorrect takes were subsequently replaced with the masters on later pressings of the US version of Elv1s?
(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
A Big Hunk O' Love
The Wonder Of You

And on The Wonder Of You, they updated this CD with the correct take, but it is the undubbed version (thankfully) It is obvious that when they replaced the incorrect takes with the master takes, the same production standards were used. (the remixing, remastering style is implemented).


Probably someone read the informed comments on FECC and realized they screwed up. ;-)

If the 2005 HITSTORY collection, which is what I assume you are referring to, uses the undubbed single master of "The Wonder Of You" then they still don't get it. That's not the single released in 1970. The backing vocals were redone because the original recording betrayed that the Sweets singing off-key.

Well that is my theory, they SCREWED UP. Yes, whoever may have picked the tracks, but in doing so, they mistakenly picked non-master tracks on these 3. Plus there were a few other glitches too, like that "click" or "snap" on Hound Dog they also rectified.

Re: 'The Wonder of You' Question

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:00 am

Mike Windgren wrote:I checked the booklet and my copy states it is David Bendeth but there are also two other names: Ernst Jorgensen & Roger Semon.


Thanks.

You seem to have a lot of trouble understanding the credits in this 2002 CD release.

IIRC, Ernst and Roger are credited because they provided for Bendeth and his team (he did not work alone) the song titles which would be considered #1 hits, as per the project. They had nothing to do with the use of alternate takes, or any of the decisions made in regards to the audio. Again, read the review and interview link I provided for more insight.