Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:33 pm

LSP-4445 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
debtd1 wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:First impression: finally it sounds the way it should be. Okay, the darn tambourine... :wink:

And the Sweets are a little too upfront for my taste as you can hear them yelling all the time but these are really very, very minor flaws. FINALLY!

Right, SebastianE? :D

Edit: listen closely at the 0:12/0:13 mark on "Steamroller Blues" - is there a edit done or something? Sounds weird and disturbing. Sorry to complain once again. Tony.. - up to you! :P

was on the verge of ordering this....I find it irritating having the Sweets too loud....all the shrill 'singing'.....

Decide for urself:
http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/82560923/file.html - Rock Medley
http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/77042778/file.html - Suspicious Minds

So the sound on these 2 samples is the same as on 48 hours to memphis FTD release?

Those are from the memphis show itself.
Richmond don't sound different, which isn't strange as that's a mono mixdown of the multi-track to begin with.
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks for the downloads Johnny and Chad. To me the band and the backup singers sound balanced right where they should be. I think everybody should be happy with this version of the concert.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:45 pm

L Ray wrote:Thanks for the downloads Johnny and Chad. To me the band and the backup singers sound balanced right where they should be. I think everybody should be happy with this version of the concert.

I agree. I don't see anything wrong with it.
The sound is stunning, the package is stunning, elvis is stunning. Heck it's stunning i think. :shock: :D

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Since the release of the "Platinum Box" and the first official version of "Steamroller Blues" from 03-20-1974, I wished that BMG/Sony would release the entire concert in that kind of quality.
All the other releases are/were nice to have - Fort Baxter's "Steamroller Blues", FTDs Version or the - from my point of view - overambitious version of Audionics "Fifth Time Around", but none of them
were near to perfect. I didn't like the reverbed version FTD released so the new release is exactly what I was looking for. The sound is tremendous and there is no reverb which I much appreciate.
I didn't need the second disc at all as I have "48 hours to Memphis" (which I also didn't like that much). If I want to listen to the Richmond concert I'll go back to "Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind" which keeps
the promise and does what it says. All in all a very fine release - which offers much more than I had expected. Hats off to everyone involved in this release.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks, didn't think it would be HD, my DAC must be having a wobbler! Looking forward to getting my hands on this

Cheers Jamie

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:22 pm

What does the package smell like ??

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
debtd1 wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:First impression: finally it sounds the way it should be. Okay, the darn tambourine... :wink:

And the Sweets are a little too upfront for my taste as you can hear them yelling all the time but these are really very, very minor flaws. FINALLY!

Edit: listen closely at the 0:12/0:13 mark on "Steamroller Blues" - is there a edit done or something? Sounds weird and disturbing. Sorry to complain once again. Tony.. - up to you! :P

was on the verge of ordering this....I find it irritating having the Sweets too loud....all the shrill 'singing'.....

Decide for urself:

So the sound on these 2 samples is the same as on 48 hours to memphis FTD release?

Richmond don't sound different, which isn't strange as that's a mono mixdown of the multi-track to begin with.

oh ok....didnt download but files says Richmond in decription:

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:17 pm

LSP-4445 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
debtd1 wrote:

Decide for urself:

oh ok....didnt download but files says Richmond in decription:

oh whoops uploaded the wrong tracks
fixed now!
http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/52580657/file.html
http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/78965583/file.html

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:08 am

TCB-FAN wrote:What does the package smell like ??

lol

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:13 am

The Memphis show sounds great. I love the package, I just wish they had included more pictures from the actual show. Or is this all there is?

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:47 am

Nope, there are many more that could have been used.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Love this release...."all" tracks sounds better than before.
The only song I dont like on this release is the new mix of how great thou art

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:15 pm

KingElvis wrote:Love this release...."all" tracks sounds better than before.

Somehow I have to agree. I prefer the vintage mixes of "Why Me Lord", "How Great Thou Art" and most of all "Let Me Be There". But in the whole context I think it sounds great. But the ending of "Polk Salad Annie" is really annoying to my ears.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Let's see..

How many times i already got this concert?

The original edited lp.
The Japanese edited cd.
The German edited cd
Steamroller blues,Fort Baxter- unedited.
Fift time around-Audionics-Unedited.
The FTD version-Unedited.

And now, the Legacy, and finaly: the soundmix is right!!
Better then ever before!!
Just listen to the intstrumental break during PSA: that band was cookin'!!
Yep, they did a great job on it, the artwork is a nice overview to the tourshows from 1974.
The second disc we had before on FTD, but it's a nice bonus anyway.
At this price it's GREAT value for money.

I must say, on a personal point of view, that "editing the concert" is the best thing they did at the time.
Although i'm happy to have it all in one place now, the "other" songs are not that well performed,they all had better versions before, except "Steamroller" maybe.
The "short" version has an excellent "live" flow, it is an exiting album.

Verdict: This Legacy is a must have.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:40 pm

play.com got it on at £9.98

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks a lot for your verdict.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:52 pm

JohanD wrote:Let's see..

The original edited lp.
The Japanese edited cd.
The German edited cd

Yep, they did a great job on it, the artwork is a nice overview to the tourshows from 1974.

I must say, on a personal point of view, that "editing the concert" is the best thing they did at the time.
Although i'm happy to have it all in one place now, the "other" songs are not that well performed,they all had better versions before, except "Steamroller" maybe.

Maybe this is also one of the last times elvis actually puts some effort in all shook up and teddy bear/don't be cruel.
they come pretty close to the hampton roads performance 2 years earlier

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:29 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
KingElvis wrote:Love this release...."all" tracks sounds better than before.

Somehow I have to agree. I prefer the vintage mixes of "Why Me Lord", "How Great Thou Art" and most of all "Let Me Be There".

Speaking of HGTA....is it K. Westmoreland we hear in part of this song?
I have to say she sounds awful here :cry:
Also the flute part should be higher in the mix.....maybe thats just me though.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:43 pm

The samples sound nice. Looking forward getting this release.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:21 pm

JohanD wrote:Let's see..

The original edited lp.
The Japanese edited cd.
The German edited cd

Lovin the postive view, nice comments and yes it is finally right, but also the short version at the time was probably right and does sound good on the CM SET too, perhaps FTD should have nailed it at the time too ......

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Later on today, i'll shoot a video of the new album, as to where u can see how it all looks.
:D

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Later on today, i'll shoot a video of the new album, as to where u can see how it all looks.
:D

Video? If it's not available as a BluRay then I'm not interested.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 pm

I haven't listened to it yet, but found it HMV today. I have to say the liner notes are a little...odd in that they seem to talk about everything but the concert on disc 2. You would think there would be information of when it was found, what a delight it was to find it, how and why it was recorded etc. But nada. Not a sausage. That's fine for people who already know, but anyone not privy to that information must be scratching their heads somewhat.

That said, it's a nice enough package. It doesn't belong in the Legacy Edition series by any means, but at least it does bring some publicity to what has been a much-maligned show over the years. I'm still not sure about the show on disc 2 - if they were going to go down that route, then Memphis 75 would have made more sense as it's in extremely good sound, hasn't been on FTD, and has more variation in the tracklisting when compared to the show on disc 1. But too late now.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Only had time to play a couple of tracks but first impressions - wow! Brilliant sound.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:30 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I haven't listened to it yet, but found it HMV today. I have to say the liner notes are a little...odd in that they seem to talk about everything but the concert on disc 2. You would think there would be information of when it was found, what a delight it was to find it, how and why it was recorded etc. But nada. Not a sausage. That's fine for people who already know, but anyone not privy to that information must be scratching their heads somewhat.

That said, it's a nice enough package. It doesn't belong in the Legacy Edition series by any means, but at least it does bring some publicity to what has been a much-maligned show over the years. I'm still not sure about the show on disc 2 - if they were going to go down that route, then Memphis 75 would have made more sense as it's in extremely good sound, hasn't been on FTD, and has more variation in the tracklisting when compared to the show on disc 1. But too late now.

in fact its already getting publicity!
http://apne.ws/1qIEZXZ