Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks.Great review. I hope the sound will be very good.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:08 pm

According to the article, here's what Pete Lewry has stated....

"The Richmond show is identical to the FTD release but it is the Memphis concert that is the highlight. Although it is a matter of personal taste, for me they have at last sorted out the earlier issues with no added reverb or applause, and it sounds so much better. The missing dialogue is also reinstated as is the false start on Help Me."

This release sure sounds promising now. :smt041

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:44 pm

I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon two days ago and still no Auto Rip available yet. I went back and looked at the conformation email and it said the MP3 album will be uploaded to my cloud player on the day of the MP3 albums release.

So why have some of you already received it? Should I email Amazon?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:12 pm

I pre-ordered yesterday, and so far I haven't heard anything either.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:17 am

TCB-FAN wrote:According to the article, here's what Pete Lewry has stated....

"The Richmond show is identical to the FTD release but it is the Memphis concert that is the highlight. Although it is a matter of personal taste, for me they have at last sorted out the earlier issues with no added reverb or applause, and it sounds so much better. The missing dialogue is also reinstated as is the false start on Help Me."

This release sure sounds promising now. :smt041

If this is true, I will buy it yet again.
Finally the whole show as recorded.
It only took 40 years for them to get it right.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:08 am

ekenee wrote:If this is true, I will buy it yet again.

Sad, isn't it ?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:53 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
ekenee wrote:If this is true, I will buy it yet again.

Sad, isn't it ?

Yes, considering we have a collectors label that failed miserably on this release, in sound and edits.
And legacy releases are a bit cheaper too.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:01 am

ekenee wrote:Yes, considering we have a collectors label that failed miserably on this release

Bollocks.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:06 am

Matthew wrote:
ekenee wrote:Yes, considering we have a collectors label that failed miserably on this release

Bollocks.

I don't know what that word means.

But....the legacy issue will no doubt beat it hands down.
I am looking forward to it.
Aren't you?
When I get it, I will do a review for you and A/B compare with the FTD, if you like.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:22 am

ekenee wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Bollocks.

Aren't you?
When I get it, I will do a review for you and A/B compare with the FTD, if you like.

No thanks.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:42 am

Matthew wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Bollocks.

Aren't you?

No thanks.

Ok, keep your head buried in the sand.
That's the way to be.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:38 pm

Whether or not I'm looking forward to a new mix of this show has nothing to do with the notion that FTD did not "fail miserably" with their 2004 release.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:09 pm

What about the bonus August 1974 rehearsals? Are these really unreleased or have they been released before on From Sunset Blv to Paradise Road or From Sunset to Las Vegas?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:47 pm

ekenee wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Bollocks.

Aren't you?

good idea for the A/B test. I always wait to hear what you guys have to say before I buy. I like the FTD but this looks like it will be the winner of the two.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 pm

charro1971 wrote:What about the bonus August 1974 rehearsals? Are these really unreleased or have they been released before on From Sunset Blv to Paradise Road or From Sunset to Las Vegas?

It's the From Sunset Blv to paradise road (Aka Nevada Nights FTD) versions Only unreleased to the Mainstream public.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Matthew wrote:Whether or not I'm looking forward to a new mix of this show has nothing to do with the notion that FTD did not "fail miserably" with their 2004 release.

You are correct the two are a seperate issues.

But you must be curious if the new Legacy version will succeed where the FTD failed.

I only listend to the FTD once.

It sounded like a booth tape and not a multi-track pro taped show.

This concert has been jinxed everytime it has been issued.

Even bootleggers that usually get things right, have attempted over and over again and have failed.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:01 pm

The FTD is the closest any Presley live release has come to producing an atmosphere of being in the arena. That it did not include a false start and a snippet of dialogue did not bother me. The only let down was the compression but the overall sound was very nice.

I will investigate the Legacy Edition mix but I am quite happy with the FTD.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 pm

When I first sat down years ago and listened to the FTD through my headphones, it gave me chills. It is the closest sound to an actual Elvis concert that I have ever heard. It has the same sound that filled Freedom Hall in Louisville later that same year.

I wish all of you could experience what I did that night in June 1974.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:29 am

I've always been quite happy with the sound of FTD's "Elvis Live In Memphis."

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:30 am

Altough i have the memphis '74 FTD i have only listened to it once.
I rather listen to the Fifth Time Around version.. or now the new legacy album.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 am

I play the FTD version all the time. At least several times a year.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 am

Matthew wrote:The FTD is the closest any Presley live release has come to producing an atmosphere of being in the arena. That it did not include a false start and a snippet of dialogue did not bother me. The only let down was the compression but the overall sound was very nice.

'Prince From Another Planet' also has the arena atmosphere in my opinion but I prefer without reverb, as the reverb has been added after the fact and was not really recorded that way, sure it may have sounded that way if you were sat in the middle of the auditorium/arena/coliseum/hall etc. I just think less is more on this occasion. However, I like that we have both ways to listen (PFAP vs. original 'Garden' and now FTD 'Live In Memphis' vs. the new Legacy version)

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 pm

When In Rome wrote:
Matthew wrote:The FTD is the closest any Presley live release has come to producing an atmosphere of being in the arena. That it did not include a false start and a snippet of dialogue did not bother me. The only let down was the compression but the overall sound was very nice.

'Prince From Another Planet' also has the arena atmosphere in my opinion but I prefer without reverb, as the reverb has been added after the fact

I didn't notice any added reverb added to PFAP, have to back and listen...

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:I rather listen to the Fifth Time Around version.

Not me.

I gave my copy away to someone on this board.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 pm

When In Rome wrote:'Prince From Another Planet' also has the arena atmosphere in my opinion but I prefer without reverb, as the reverb has been added after the fact and was not really recorded that way, sure it may have sounded that way if you were sat in the middle of the auditorium/arena/coliseum/hall etc. I just think less is more on this occasion. However, I like that we have both ways to listen (PFAP vs. original 'Garden' and now FTD 'Live In Memphis' vs. the new Legacy version)

PFAP tried, but ultimately failed to capture the 'in the arena' atmosphere. Instead, it sounds flat and busy. I do not listen to it anymore.