Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:03 am

How could I possibly ruin it for you? Elvis failed music lovers once with the 60s movie years and after an explosive comeback with the 68 TV Special and American sessions and 3 decent Las Vegas engagements, he fails music lovers a second time, and never returned. I guess two comebacks (the fantastic Elvis Is Back and From Elvis In Memphis) a 3rd would be too much to expect. If I were not such a strong fan of his, he could not have disappointed me so much. The added applause on songs like I Just Can't Help Believin' and The Wonder Of You are just plain irritating. And yes, they are much like laugh tracks on sitcoms.

The Jordanaires were very good at what they did, but that Elvis wanted them on almost EVERY song, made them irritating after a while. I mean what in the hell are they doing on Hound Dog (as one of probably 100 examples)? He never got over his desire to be in a gospel quartet.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:12 am

poormadpeter wrote:
frus75 wrote:The overdubbed applause, when you know is fake, is like when somebody in front of you has dirt on his teeth and you can't fix your eyes on other things. It distracts me from the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but you're not meant to know it's fake - and people didn't forty years ago. This is where having too much info can be detrimental. We know Elvis struggled through this or that session, or hated this or that song, so now we hear that when we listen to it. But sessions and songs might sound very different if we didn't know this extra information as we wouldn't look for evidence of it.

I've always been thankful for the fact that I've always been able to disconnect myself from all that extra information whenever I listen to Elvis' music. No matter the song or the era. Therefore, my listening experience isn't spoiled.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:30 am

skatterbrane wrote:How could I possibly ruin it for you? Elvis failed music lovers once with the 60s movie years and after an explosive comeback with the 68 TV Special and American sessions and 3 decent Las Vegas engagements, he fails music lovers a second time, and never returned. I guess two comebacks (the fantastic Elvis Is Back and From Elvis In Memphis) a 3rd would be too much to expect. If I were not such a strong fan of his, he could not have disappointed me so much. The added applause on songs like I Just Can't Help Believin' and The Wonder Of You are just plain irritating. And yes, they are much like laugh tracks on sitcoms.

The Jordanaires were very good at what they did, but that Elvis wanted them on almost EVERY song, made them irritating after a while. I mean what in the hell are they doing on Hound Dog (as one of probably 100 examples)? He never got over his desire to be in a gospel quartet.

So you're not criticising one of the greatest rock n roll records ever made?

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:57 am

poormadpeter wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:How could I possibly ruin it for you? Elvis failed music lovers once with the 60s movie years and after an explosive comeback with the 68 TV Special and American sessions and 3 decent Las Vegas engagements, he fails music lovers a second time, and never returned. I guess two comebacks (the fantastic Elvis Is Back and From Elvis In Memphis) a 3rd would be too much to expect. If I were not such a strong fan of his, he could not have disappointed me so much. The added applause on songs like I Just Can't Help Believin' and The Wonder Of You are just plain irritating. And yes, they are much like laugh tracks on sitcoms.

You're joking, right?

I understand what skatterbrane is saying. Sometimes I wish I could turn down the overwhelming backing vocals on a lot of Elvis' live albums. I want to hear Elvis' voice but sometimes the backing vocals drown him out and I get a headache. As much as I love the 1969 live performances even the backing vocals on those tracks are grating after awhile. And that was when the backing vocals were good! Perhaps I'm too easily distracted but for me the canned applause and shrieking backing vocals are really distracting. I much prefer "Elvis - Event Number 8" over "Elvis Recorded Live on Stage in Memphis." The backing vocals are still there but at least some of the overbearing musical arrangements are gone. And I can actually hear Elvis' voice which is in fairly good shape.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:58 am

I'm sure the Jordanaires were there because Elvis, the recording artist, wanted them there.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:04 am

Elvis' 50's recordings are almost flawless.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:27 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

You're joking, right?

I understand what skatterbrane is saying. Sometimes I wish I could turn down the overwhelming backing vocals on a lot of Elvis' live albums. I want to hear Elvis' voice but sometimes the backing vocals drown him out and I get a headache. As much as I love the 1969 live performances even the backing vocals on those tracks are grating after awhile. And that was when the backing vocals were good! Perhaps I'm too easily distracted but for me the canned applause and shrieking backing vocals are really distracting. I much prefer "Elvis - Event Number 8" over "Elvis Recorded Live on Stage in Memphis." The backing vocals are still there but at least some of the overbearing musical arrangements are gone. And I can actually hear Elvis' voice which is in fairly good shape.

He's talking about the 1956 Hound Dog!

As for the backing vocals in his live shows in the 60s and 70s, they are there because Elvis wanted them there, and no doubt that was because of the gospel tinge those kinds of voice brought to the show no matter what the song - and that was an element was ingrained in Elvis's musical personality.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

You're joking, right?

I understand what skatterbrane is saying.

I don't. To criticize Elvis' legendary 1956 recording of Hound Dog borders on the absurd... and is more than a tad pretentious.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:58 am

A audio rip of FTD vinyl version was uploaded on usernet a few days ago but havent had any time comparing the audio mix yet.
Maybe it has the same as upcoming Legacy release.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:15 am

elvis-fan wrote:
I don't. To criticize Elvis' legendary 1956 recording of Hound Dog borders on the absurd... and is more than a tad pretentious.

Sorry but to me Hound Dog would be 100% perfection if it didn't have the "ahhhs" during the guitar solos.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:40 am

javilu wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Sorry but to me Hound Dog would be 100% perfection if it didn't have the "ahhhs" during the guitar solos.

It already is perfection...

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:53 am

Rich_TCB wrote:Good question. I would think that the first disc would be the original album from 1974, and the second disc would be the complete show and remixed/remastered. And whether that would be the FTD mix & master, who knows.

But I really hope Vic Anesini was involved in regards to the complete show.

Please let's not ruin a good thing .

Also note the songs were edited on the original release to fit to a single LP, since most of these were already available on "Aloha" - had nothing to do with a sloppy performance.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:58 am

poormadpeter wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

You're joking, right?

He's talking about the 1956 Hound Dog!

As for the backing vocals in his live shows in the 60s and 70s, they are there because Elvis wanted them there, and no doubt that was because of the gospel tinge those kinds of voice brought to the show no matter what the song - and that was an element was ingrained in Elvis's musical personality.

Oh! Oops. I'm reading too fast because I'm trying to post while at work. Probably not the best idea because I keep missing things. I thought you were talking about the live Memphis album. Sorry! But I still think skatterbrane has a point with his other thoughts. I don't agree about Hound Dog.

And yes, I realize that the backing vocals were part of Elvis' vision in 1969. I mostly like the backing vocals but sometimes they're overbearing and they swallow Elvis' vocals. But I realize that's what he wanted. In 1969-1970 it mostly worked.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:48 am

Okay, I probably should have let your previous comments pass without comment, but now you blaspheme! Hound Dog? Really? The Jords backups are an integral part of the arrangement of that classic rock and roll track. Man, if it annoys you so much, turn the damn thing off! This kind of carping was old eons ago. I know that we're supposed to spout the party line here - the only good Elvis music is 50's Elvis, plus Elvis is Back and FEIM....but seriously, you and some of the others here need to find some hobbies besides analyzing and tearing every Elvis recording to pieces. Do you apply this kind of analysis to the recordings of other artists?

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 am

Amazon.com here in the U.S. just sent me an e-mail stating that since I pre-ordered "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" (Legacy Edition), I can download a copy of it via Amazon's AutoRip from Amazon's Cloud Player. I thought some people might want to know this.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:15 am

Daryl wrote:Amazon.com here in the U.S. just sent me an e-mail stating that since I pre-ordered "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" (Legacy Edition), I can download a copy of it via Amazon's AutoRip from Amazon's Cloud Player. I thought some people might want to know this.

Thanks!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:48 am

Listening to the iTunes preview of "See See Rider" a couple of things are immediately clear:

* Thankfully, it's not the same (awful) mix as on the FTD release.
* The overdubbed audience noise has been removed (listen to end of the guitar solo)

And I'm not 100% certain, but it seems to be a brand new mix - for example; Burton is higher in the mix than both FTD and original versions. Now this is just from listening to a 90 second sample, but still... It sounds great!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:12 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
And I'm not 100% certain, but it seems to be a brand new mix -

Yes, its remixed as mentioned a few pages back.
Sound is promising with more of rock feel.
For me it's too early to say if the FTD or Legacy version will be my future go to version.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Robert wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
And I'm not 100% certain, but it seems to be a brand new mix -

Yes, its remixed as mentioned a few pages back.
Sound is promising with more of rock feel.
For me it's too early to say if the FTD or Legacy version will be my future go to version.

Oops, you're right - I missed that! Mixed by Rob Santos and Steve Rosenthal, everything seems very promising... maybe they did get it right, for once!

I listened to the FTD just now, for the first time in a couple of years. Still think it's terrible, all that reverb on Elvis' voice, makes it sound like he's singing in the bathroom backstage at the Mid-South. I prefer the original mix (except the overdubbed applause), and the Legacy mix sounds close to that, only much better.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:04 pm

Daryl wrote:Amazon.com here in the U.S. just sent me an e-mail stating that since I pre-ordered "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" (Legacy Edition), I can download a copy of it via Amazon's AutoRip from Amazon's Cloud Player. I thought some people might want to know this.

Thanks, Daryl. One thing to be aware of regarding this is that on reissued material, Amazon does not always use the same source for its AutoRip version as the physical media version.

Troy

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:

Thanks, Daryl. One thing to be aware of regarding this is that on reissued material, Amazon does not always use the same source for its AutoRip version as the physical media version.

Troy

This is true. I pre-ordered the Live in Memphis Legacy Edition and got the auto-rip for the 1994 release. I sent Amazon an email regarding this matter and they are looking into it...

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:41 pm

Now back to JD and Shaun, I think it's obvious and has been more then documented that Elvis loved Quartet Music or what we now call Southern Gospel music. I'm sure he was raised on it like many folks in the south and rual america. The highlights of most gospel quartets are the High and Low notes sung in the quartet so it's not really that surprising that Elvis would highlight the same and get a kick out of it like he did. Elvis has been credited for fusing gospel and blues so again why would it be surprising that he had a blues group the sweets and a gospel group backing him up.

As for JD and Shaun they were both stars in their own right in Sourthern Gospel. JD with the Blackwoods and Stamps and Shaun with the Imperials and Statesman. Elvis had tons of talent that he worked with including some of the greats like Brock and Ben Speer, Jake Hess, Armound Morales and on and on. The groups were all stars in their own right from the Jordanaries, Imperials, and Stamps.

Where Elvis performed a lot in the 1970's were more rual and southern and this type of music most people would have been familar with especially in the south. So JD and Shaun would have been natural to hear and not annoying as it is to some on here. You can just tell in the Gospel melody in the film "ON Tour" how much Elvis loved listening to and singing with these great voices, it's were he came from and what he was. No you don't have to like it or understand it but that is what made the man what he was musically.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:16 pm

poormadpeter wrote:

Yes, but I cannot see how that would ruin it for anyone who loves it! Why would another's opinion affect someone else's? No matter how many people have criticized me for being an Elvis fan all my life, did not change my mind, he is still my number one recording artist ever. But I still only like about 1/2 of what he has ever done. And most of it is concentrated on 1954-1958, 1960-1963 and 1968-1970.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:19 pm

When In Rome wrote:
Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:

Troy

This is true. I pre-ordered the Live in Memphis Legacy Edition and got the auto-rip for the 1994 release. I sent Amazon an email regarding this matter and they are looking into it...

Thanks guys for the info.

When In Rome - let us know if/when you hear back from Amazon.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:

Okay, I probably should have let your previous comments pass without comment, but now you blaspheme! Hound Dog? Really? The Jords backups are an integral part of the arrangement of that classic rock and roll track. Man, if it annoys you so much, turn the damn thing off! This kind of carping was old eons ago. I know that we're supposed to spout the party line here - the only good Elvis music is 50's Elvis, plus Elvis is Back and FEIM....but seriously, you and some of the others here need to find some hobbies besides analyzing and tearing every Elvis recording to pieces. Do you apply this kind of analysis to the recordings of other artists?

I apply this kind of analysis to everything I care about, not just recording artists. I am not critical of things I do not care about, example Tom Jones is not even on my radar I dislike him so much. How can I criticize something that holds absolutely no interest for me? I like the Beatles but I really hate their early stuff, it drives me crazy. I would rather listen to Elvis's worst soundtrack albums than The Beatles early albums. The Beatles got better with each album, Elvis's last great album was Elvis Country.

If I were on a Beatles forum, I would probably talk about how awful their I Want To Hold Your Hand and She Loves You period was, and what a masterpiece Abbey Road was, and how much I dig The White Album. (including Revolution 9).

I belong to a Oldsmobile Aurora forum, and am critical of their design flaws. I belong to a Les Paul forum and am critical of what is known as Gibson's Norlin period and how their guitars made between 1970 and 1980 pretty much sucked. But I also say that their early 90s period was probably one of their best.

Who in the heck want to gush and only say wonderful things about any subject under the sun? Just because someone is a fan of something does not mean the object of that fandom is immune to critical opinions. In fact the more one studies anything, the more the flaws and shortcomings come to light. To most of the non fans, it is the 70s Elvis which has drawn the most distain and ridicule, and it blocks non-fans from learning more about Elvis and how great his voice and music really was.

70s Elvis has isolated and put fans on the defensive towards the rest of the music loving public and musicologists.