Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:04 pm

I alway liked why me lord in any version by elvis and JD.
and never got bothered by fever before.. I always liked this concert from tip to toe.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:24 pm

PiersEIN wrote:Ernst says (as we suspected) that the tracklistings on various websites are incorrect.
Nor does he know why SONY are sending out press promo copies already as he has not yet seen the finished product.

YES - 'Blueberry Hill/I Can't Stop Loving You' is on the Memphis concert CD.
NO - the new "extra tracks" are not on the Richmond CD - the listing is wrong.

Cheers
Piers

Thanks for the info, Piers. It was a HUGE relief to read this.

cashfan wrote:First of all apologies if I have created a lot of animosity on this forum, it wasn't my intention. I just wanted to let to you all know my thoughts/comments on the advance copy I received.

We all have opinions which is great and at the end of the day we all want the same thing, a copy that is faithful to the originals.

If I do receive any news from Sony regarding the track listings/mistakes, I will let you know.

Of course, if we do get the correct version does that make my advance/promo a collectable item :)

Peter

No apologies necessary, Peter. We were all just very confused and angry, as it seemed that Sony screwed up.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:39 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Why Me,Lord? and Fever are the weak points of the concert.

At least Elvis doesn't make a joke of the former at this show.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:25 am

Great news… I just had confirmation from Sony that the track listing(s) will be correct on the released album. I can now start writing my article/review.

They are not sure why the advance/promo CDs is incorrect but at least I can keep it and maybe one day it will become collectable.

Peter

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:31 am

cashfan wrote:Great news… I just had confirmation from Sony that the track listing(s) will be correct on the released album. I can now start writing my article/review.

They are not sure why the advance/promo CDs is incorrect but at least I can keep it and maybe one day it will become collectable.

Peter

It's a keeper for sure. How do you like the sound compared to the FTD? One thing I like about the FTD is that you feel like your in the building with the fans. I hope some of that is still there.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:20 am

Thank you, Piers! Much appreciated.

rlj

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:58 am

rlj4ep wrote:Thank you, Piers! Much appreciated.
rlj

My pleasure, nice to have these things confirmed.
Cheers,
Piers

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:

No ... but because of the ridiculous JD lead vocal ... it kinda makes a joke of itself...

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:32 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:

No ... but because of the ridiculous JD lead vocal ... it kinda makes a joke of itself...

I really don't understand all the annoyance against JD

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:41 pm

JD is one of the greatest bass singers in southern gospel music, nuff said.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:13 pm

JD Sumner and the Stamps and Voice are two vocal groups Elvis could have done without, I find them annoying as hell.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:40 pm

cashfan wrote:First of all apologies if I have created a lot of animosity on this forum, it wasn't my intention. I just wanted to let to you all know my thoughts/comments on the advance copy I received.

We all have opinions which is great and at the end of the day we all want the same thing, a copy that is faithful to the originals.

If I do receive any news from Sony regarding the track listings/mistakes, I will let you know.

Of course, if we do get the correct version does that make my advance/promo a collectable item :)

Peter

No need to appogize. If I had received a copy to I would have also pointed out the mistakes.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:03 pm

I would argue that the weak points of the show are the ones that were edited out, with the exception of Steamroller. For once, Felton Jarvis did a brilliant job of making a hugely enjoyable LP out of a very good concert. Despite Elvis's good performance and his being in fine voice, the editing out of some of the oldies and tracks like Fever help to make a better-paced listening experience (as does the edit of I Got a Woman). Like some others, I also prefer the original mix with the overdubbed audience. Fake or not (and most people wouldn't have realised it was back in 1974), the audience reaction give a feeling of being in the arena itself more than any other Elvis live release. By contrast, for example, Aloha's audience sound as if they are barely there. People disapprove of the dubbed audience, but seemingly have no problem with overdubs of instruments and vocals on other live albums. Historical accuracy was never the main aim of a release such as this, whereas a fun listening experience was.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:28 pm

I don't prefer the original mix with the overdubbed audience. To me it's ridiculous. I want to hear the original sound recorded by RCA and even with these two weak version songs I consider this was the last live album of Elvis to be remembered for a good performance.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:01 pm

The overdubbed applause, when you know is fake, is like when somebody in front of you has dirt on his teeth and you can't fix your eyes on other things. It distracts me from the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:33 pm

It amazes me that folks on here hate this mix or that mix or this back-up singer or that back-up singer. They don't like this upgrade or this duet. I can see some of this but to nit-pick over the choice of back-up singers is not understandable. Didn't Elvis himself pick the back-up singers, didn't Elvis himself want JD and his dive bombing or Voice. So want everything orginal and just as it was you should praise JD and Voice being on the recordings because they indeed were there and were there because Elvis like them being there. If you know Southern Gospel at all you would realize Elvis styled himself a lot after and sang like men like the Big "Chief' and Jake Hess of the Statesman and other southern gospel stars and I think he admired JD all the way back to the Blackwood brothers days. Listen to the
Statesmans recording of Why Me Lord with Big "Chief" singing the beginning part just as Elvis had JD do and then you might understand where this comes from.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 pm

srovenstine wrote:It amazes me that folks on here hate this mix or that mix or this back-up singer or that back-up singer. They don't like this upgrade or this duet. I can see some of this but to nit-pick over the choice of back-up singers is not understandable. Didn't Elvis himself pick the back-up singers, didn't Elvis himself want JD and his dive bombing or Voice. So want everything orginal and just as it was you should praise JD and Voice being on the recordings because they indeed were there and were there because Elvis like them being there. If you know Southern Gospel at all you would realize Elvis styled himself a lot after and sang like men like the Big "Chief' and Jake Hess of the Statesman and other southern gospel stars and I think he admired JD all the way back to the Blackwood brothers days. Listen to the
Statesmans recording of Why Me Lord with Big "Chief" singing the beginning part just as Elvis had JD do and then you might understand where this comes from.

I don't understand the JD bashing, either. Elvis idolized the man, he felt it was an honor to "share the stage with him", as was mentioned in the documentary "He Touched Me". We forget that the average fan in 1974 hadn't seen/heard hundreds of soundboards/audience tapes, for most fans the first time they saw the Elvis Presley show would be the last. So what if Elvis wanted to showcase JD's low voice? Make your own cdr and edit that part out. Elvis CD collectors are impossible to please; they complain about what is left out, they complain about what is left in.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:49 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
srovenstine wrote:It amazes me that folks on here hate this mix or that mix or this back-up singer or that back-up singer. They don't like this upgrade or this duet. I can see some of this but to nit-pick over the choice of back-up singers is not understandable. Didn't Elvis himself pick the back-up singers, didn't Elvis himself want JD and his dive bombing or Voice. So want everything orginal and just as it was you should praise JD and Voice being on the recordings because they indeed were there and were there because Elvis like them being there. If you know Southern Gospel at all you would realize Elvis styled himself a lot after and sang like men like the Big "Chief' and Jake Hess of the Statesman and other southern gospel stars and I think he admired JD all the way back to the Blackwood brothers days. Listen to the

I don't understand the JD bashing, either. Elvis idolized the man, he felt it was an honor to "share the stage with him", as was mentioned in the documentary "He Touched Me". We forget that the average fan in 1974 hadn't seen/heard hundreds of soundboards/audience tapes, for most fans the first time they saw the Elvis Presley show would be the last. So what if Elvis wanted to showcase JD's low voice? Make your own cdr and edit that part out. Elvis CD collectors are impossible to please; they complain about what is left out, they complain about what is left in.

Good Point L.S
::rocks

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:54 pm

I give a damn what Elvis liked. You see, I do not LIKE 70s Elvis, and his choice of backup singers has a LOT to do with it. I do not like MOR, or contemporary country. I do not like the Las Vegas arrangements and I do not like 90% of what Elvis did after 1970. I don't like the jumpsuits. So, is it alright with you if I LOATHE JD Sumner and the Stamps and Voice? Or must I like them for your sake? I actually prefer the Blossoms and The Sweet inspirations, and the girls on the American recordings. Not a huge fan of the Jordanaires either, I do like the Imperials.

I do not like echo or reverb and I do not like dubbed audience noise or studio dubbing over live concert performances. I much prefer the On Stage mixes that Ferrante did because it did not have Felton's overdubbing. The mastering is lacking however.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:07 am

jurasic1968 wrote:I don't prefer the original mix with the overdubbed audience. To me it's ridiculous. I want to hear the original sound recorded by RCA and even with these two weak version songs I consider this was the last live album of Elvis to be remembered for a good performance.

What is the original sound? There is no original sound - everyone in that arena heard something different that night, every engineer who could have mixed that album back in 1974 would have come up with a different sound. Presumably if you want the original sound recorded by RCA, you have a problem with the On Stage album too, parts of which were later overdubbed?

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 am

frus75 wrote:The overdubbed applause, when you know is fake, is like when somebody in front of you has dirt on his teeth and you can't fix your eyes on other things. It distracts me from the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but you're not meant to know it's fake - and people didn't forty years ago. This is where having too much info can be detrimental. We know Elvis struggled through this or that session, or hated this or that song, so now we hear that when we listen to it. But sessions and songs might sound very different if we didn't know this extra information as we wouldn't look for evidence of it.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:18 am

skatterbrane wrote:

I give a damn what Elvis liked. You see, I do not LIKE 70s Elvis, and his choice of backup singers has a LOT to do with it. I do not like MOR, or contemporary country. I do not like the Las Vegas arrangements and I do not like 90% of what Elvis did after 1970. I don't like the jumpsuits. So, is it alright with you if I LOATHE JD Sumner and the Stamps and Voice? Or must I like them for your sake? I actually prefer the Blossoms and The Sweet inspirations, and the girls on the American recordings. Not a huge fan of the Jordanaires either, I do like the Imperials.

I do not like echo or reverb and I do not like dubbed audience noise or studio dubbing over live concert performances. I much prefer the On Stage mixes that Ferrante did because it did not have Felton's overdubbing. The mastering is lacking however.

I agree with everything you wrote. I have difficulty enjoying much of Elvis' work after 1970. A few bright spots here and there but mostly I avoid it.

And like others here I do not like the dubbed audience noise on Elvis Recorded Live on Stage in Memphis. It's really distracting and it sounds horribly cheesy. (Similar to the canned applause/shrieks when Fonzie enters the room on an episode of "Happy Days.") A shame since he was in pretty good voice in early 1974.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:26 am

I might understand why JD Sumer was there, but I'm sure I have the right to like it or not also. I terribly dislike Charlie Hodge being onstage and I'm sure there are hundred reasons why he was there .

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:53 am

skatterbrane wrote:

Okay, you said it yourself, you don't like 70's Elvis, so don't waste your money on 70's cd's - but don't try to ruin them for those of us who do.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:58 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:

Okay, you said it yourself, you don't like 70's Elvis, so don't waste your money on 70's cd's - but don't try to ruin them for those of us who do.

I confess that skatter does seem to invest a lot of energy on a thread for an album be clearly doesn't like and is never going to change his opinion about.