Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:00 am

Putting out the same show on both discs doesn't make much sense, regardless of mixes. However,I say this with a caveat that I don't have any inside information that would proves this to be true. Could the first disc be the multi-track show remixed and the second disc be a recreation of the set-list from the multi-track show but taken from the other March, 1974 Memphis shows via soundboard. My understanding is that Sony does have the soundboards of all of the March, 1974 Memphis shows in their archives. It probably wouldn't be too hard to duplicate the setlist from the March 20 multi-track show using the soundboard recordings from the other Memphis shows. If not the other Memphis shows, I'm sure they could replicate the setlist from the March 20 date using soundboards from other locations, not just Memphis as well.

I just can't see the logic behind duplicating the multi-track recording on both discs. And I really wouldn't understanding why they would put out the multi-track recording and the soundboard of the same show. Some people forget, even that's a possibility. I don't see any reason whatsoever to include the August 16, 1974 studio rehearsals, that is unless the original stereo tape has been located.

Daryl

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:06 am

Maybe this is where they could use that "Lackluster Elvis" title someone suggesting in another thread?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:13 am

skatterbrane wrote:Maybe this is where they could use that "Lackluster Elvis" title someone suggesting in another thread?

Most of the vocals on the original album were far from being lackluster. The expanded concert highlights some less-than-stellar moments on the routine toss-away tracks, but Elvis was in fine vocal form in Memphis.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:23 am

midnightx wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Maybe this is where they could use that "Lackluster Elvis" title someone suggesting in another thread?

Most of the vocals on the original album were far from being lackluster. The expanded concert highlights some less-than-stellar moments on the routine toss-away tracks, but Elvis was in fine vocal form in Memphis.

He was quite peppy!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:52 am

Wow! The enthusiasm for this release is on par with that of the FTD Boy from Tupelo Masterpiece (well maybe not that enthusiastic).

Gee what else do you want them to release.

The way some are posting, one might think it was the 60th anniversary of some of the greatest rock and roll laid down on tape by Presley, and that a credible Legacy release could be assembled using the Sun Records album from the 70's, and some great cuts off of the aforementioned FTD Tupelo release.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Perhaps finally the FS of Help Me is included... :wink:

God, I hope so!

Classic.

But you know dreams can come true.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 am

Matthew wrote:Perhaps the whole listing is a mistake. Live On Stage In Memphis in no way qualifies for any kind of Legacy Edition treatment. It is as redundant a live release now as it was in 1974.

Spot on and completely accurate assessment of this release.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:01 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
greystoke wrote:Is the track-listing on Amazon actually correct?

It may not be. For one thing, a Legacy release usually presents the album as it was released at the time. The 1974 RCA LP did not include the entire concert, it was carefully edited to avoid as much overlap as possible with the 1969, 1970, 1972 and 1973 live albums.

That's not what happened with the Cash prison concerts on Legacy.

As for this release "jumping the shark" - sadly that happened long ago when fans were happy to lap up the legacy editions in the form of twofers with a few singles thrown in. It was lazy programming compared with other releases in the series, and completely unlike any other Legacy edition releases, but they were Elvis releases so fans went out and bought them. If we as fans don't take a stand against Elvis releases being poorly thought out, then why should Sony bother to try and do better? So we shouldn't be surprised at this Legacy release. Add to that the apparent success and critical reception of the Stax albums, and this release doesn't seem so surprising after all. Especially as this will no doubt have 40 anniversary written all over it.

Excellent and insightful post.

One might think that after almost 58 years, the powerless that be might stop giving Presley followers the shaft. Sadly, the abuse continues in the form of Legacy "twofers".

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:05 am

I've found other reissues of this concert satisfying, but I've always felt the potential single true best version has eluded us.

This seems to have the potential to be the one, and I'm looking forward to it.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:07 am

I would prefer Live in Memphis on disc 1, and Having Fun With... on disc 2, both being 1974 releases.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am

The usual 'rush to judgement' on unconfirmed information.

If only Elvis fans could be a happy bunch . . .

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:Well, I definitely wouldn't say "Steamroller Blues" was "sloppily performed", as I enjoy this performance more than the Aloha master.

For my money it's not nearly as good as the 1-14-1973 live master, which RCA pulled for single release.

That said, imagine if Elvis had tried "Steamroller" three years earlier.

I always preferred the 1-12-1973 version as I think it has much more power and "drive". I wonder why they didn't choose that one for single release? Both versions contain small mistakes. Okay, the live master has a more "bluesy feel". :wink:

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Steve Morse wrote:The usual 'rush to judgement' on unconfirmed information.

If only Elvis fans could be a happy bunch . . .

Hey... it's what they do...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Somehow I doubt we will get the FULL UNCUT concert.

I just hope they don't hire that Coldplay dude again for mixing and mastering. I think I'll wait for sound samples and reviews first.

It's about time to get this good and enjoyable concert in a listenable quality. A friend of mine would strongly agree. :wink:

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
I just hope they don't hire that Coldplay dude again for mixing and mastering.

Really? I loved his work on MSG show. I hope the dude is back!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

smt133 :smt078

Sorry, of course it's all a matter of taste. But I can't listen to this darn mess.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:12 pm

I hope the dude is back to!
I also enjoyed his work on ''Prince From Another Planet'''. To me it sounds great, and works well for radio stations and 7.1 cinema sets :D

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:33 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

smt133 :smt078

Sorry, of course it's all a matter of taste. But I can't listen to this darn mess.

I'm amazed! The Dude made the whole concert alive again. He also brought some edge the the sound that the original vinyl was lacking. The original mixing and mastering was done in a bit hurry, wasn't it?

When I bought the Legacy edition of Aloha after the MSG release, it sounded so boring that I never even listened the whole CD. It may rot in peace.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Apparently CD 1 will contain the complete Memphis show, while CD 2 will feature the March 18, 1974 Richmond show (previously issued on FTD's 48 Hours to Memphis).

Source:

http://www.bluesmagazine.nl/40th-annive ... e-memphis/

RCA/Legacy Recordings Set to Release 40th Anniversary 2CD Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis, the King of Rock’s Triumphant 1974 Hometown Return Concert

Newly Remastered Album Includes All Concert Tracks Not Included on Original Vinyl

2nd Disc Premieres Previously Unreleased MONO “Test Run” of Entire Concert Recorded with a Live Audience at the Richmond Coliseum on March 18, 1974

RCA Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis with an expanded 2CD release of the monumental concert experience featuring tracks left off the original album (because of the spatial limitations of vinyl) plus a wealth of previously unreleased material.

Disc 2 of the newly remastered expanded Legacy Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis presents for the first time a recently located recording of Elvis’ complete concert “test run” held for an ecstatic live audience on March 18, 1974, two days before his historic concert return to Memphis, where he’d last played live in 1957. The remarkable “test run” performance was recorded in MONO, drenched in the reverb Elvis preferred, and provides new insight into the magic of Elvis.

As a special added bonus for Elvis aficionados, Disc 2 of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis includes five intimate tracks (three of them previously unreleased) cut at the RCA Studios in Hollywood on August 16, 1974. Originally intended as reference recordings for an upcoming Las Vegas engagement, the performances—which include “Down In The Alley,” “Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues,” “Softly As I Leave You,” “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” and “The Twelfth Of Never”—-provide a rare fly-on-the-wall glimpse into Elvis’ consummate backstage artistry as he prepares these songs for concert.

The musicians backing Elvis on Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis include James Burton and John Wilkinson (guitars); Charlie Hodge (guitar and vocals); Duke Bardwell (bass); Ronnie Tutt (drums); Glen D. Hardin (piano); The Sweet Inspirations, J.D. Sumner & The Stamps, Kathy Westmoreland (vocals) with Joe Guercio and his Orchestra.

Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis will include a 24 page booklet featuring rare photos, previously unseen memorabilia, new liner notes, press clips and more.

Following the artistic success of his 1973 Stax sessions and the global phenomenon of the Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite album and broadcast the same year, Elvis opened 1974 with a 15 city tour routed to end in Memphis and a state-of-the-art concert recording.

“I wanted to record a live session in my hometown of Memphis,” said Elvis at the time. “After all, this is where it all started out for me.”

Originally released on vinyl on July 7, 1974, Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis reached #1 on the Country charts and featured “How Great Thou Art,” the track that would bring Elvis his third (and third Gospel) Grammy win.

Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (Legacy Edition)

Label: Legacy / Sony
Release: 18 March 2014

Disc 1

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me
Trying To Get To You
All Shook Up (not included on original album)
Steamroller Blues (not included on original album)
Teddy Bear-Don’t Be Cruel (not included on original album)
Love Me Tender (not included on original album)
Long Tall Sally-Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On-Mama Don’t Dance-Flip, Flop And Fly-Jailhouse Rock-Hound Dog
Fever (not included on original album)
Polk Salad Annie (not included on original album)
Why Me Lord
How Great Thou Art
Suspicious Minds (not included on original album)
Introductions (not included on original album)
Help Me
An American Trilogy
Let Me Be There
My Baby Left Me
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy (not included on original album)
Funny How Time Slips Away (not included on original album)
Can’t Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

Disc 2

The Richmond “Test Run” Concert – previously unreleased

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me
Trying To Get To You
All Shook Up
Steamroller Blues
Teddy Bear-Don’t Be Cruel
Love Me Tender
Long Tall Sally-Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On-Mama Don’t Dance-Flip, Flop And Fly-Jailhouse Rock-Hound Dog
Fever
Polk Salad Annie
Why Me Lord
How Great Thou Art
Suspicious Minds
Introductions
Help Me
An American Trilogy
Let Me Be There
My Baby Left Me
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy
Funny How Time Slips Away
Can’t Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

Recorded live March 18, 1974 at the Coliseum, Richmond

The August 1974 RCA Rehearsal

Down In The Alley (previously unreleased)
Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues (previously unreleased)
Softly As I Leave You
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (previously unreleased)
The Twelfth Of Never

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:53 pm

I'll probably buy it :D.
I didnt get the richmond FTD neither did i get the Memphis '74 FTD.
so this will do for me. So far i own all legacy edition cd's

The dutch message on top of it says the concert is ''Newly, Remixed''
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:54 pm

It's good how they class material released on FTD as previously unreleased. Even so, this sounds decidedly better and, shock of shocks, like a legitimate Legacy Edition.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:00 pm

however the tracklist for cd 2 is still not right.. My baby left me wasnt performed in richmond!
Neither was How Great Thou Art and lawdy miss clawdy.
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm

poormadpeter wrote:It's good how they class material released on FTD as previously unreleased

where have you been, it`s been that way for years and it makes sense :wink:

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:

The dutch message on top of it says the concert is ''Newly, Remixed''

So we got hope, if they don't use the FTD mix... Lucky may need a new bucket...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:03 pm

"..where he’d last played live in 1957. The remarkable “test run” performance was recorded in MONO, drenched in the reverb Elvis preferred..."

Number 1, he last performed in Memphis in 1961.
Number 2, this explains a LOT.