Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:14 pm

Matthew wrote:It is still debatable whether the 'verb on the 2004 FTD is artificial, or simply a result of the audience/ambience tracks being so high in the mix. Considering we can hear audience members chatting to each other during the show I lean towards this being the case. Listen to any audience recording and you hear the same amount of reverb.

Regardless, 2004's Live On Stage In Memphis FTD achieves rather well the "listener in the arena" effect that Prince From Another Planet so failed to achieve.

I think we hear the backup singers talking on stage more than we hear audience members. It is a cool FTD for sure. But I wouldn't mind getting one with less echo. I am wondering what the new Live Memphis LP FTD sounds like. No one ever talks about that. I would guess that we will get whatever mix that one is, since it just came out last year.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Matthew wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Axeman wrote:Given that they claim the Richmond show is unreleased, ignoring the FTD issue, I'm guessing that the "Newly Mixed" Memphis show is only newly mixed if you also ignore the FTD release.

The press release doesn't say anything is "newly mixed", but if it did, the FTD came out 10 years ago so if they did use that mix, there is nothing new about it.

I'm so confused now.

Basically:

1) If Sony Legacy claimed they were releasing a "newly mixed" version of Live On Stage In Memphis, using the old FTD mix, since it is "unreleased", they'd be lying, since the mix is 10 years old.
2) However, the press release makes no mention of new mixing so it's irrelevant anyway.

That's true, Matthew, but as people were speculating, and as Johnny2523 said it was being called newly mixed in the Dutch article, I was pointing out that even if it is "newly mixed" it would probably be new to you ONLY if you didn't have the FTD, that's all.

Axe

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

I'm confused! Were the 74 rehearsals of 'Down in the Alley', 'the First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' and 'Goodtime Charlie's Got the Blues' ever released elsewhere?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Pink&Black wrote:I'm confused! Were the 74 rehearsals of 'Down in the Alley', 'the First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' and 'Goodtime Charlie's Got the Blues' ever released elsewhere?

Officially no (Except Softly As I Leave You and Twelfth of Never have turned up on the "The Complete Masters'' and ''The essential 70's masters'') set but on bootleg release yes most recently in Binaural Stereo on ''Autumn Gold''
CD-02
Promised Land / Down In The Alley / It's Midnight / Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming / Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues / Softly, As I Leave You So, I'm Leavin' / If You Talk In Your Sleep / If You Love Me #1 / If You Love Me #2 / Twelfth Of Never / Faded Love / Just Pretend

However complete (In mono as on the FTD) it was released back in 1996
on this CD:''From Sunset blvd to Paradise road" by the Diamond Anniversary label

CD 1; Rehearsal on August 16, 1974
01 If You Love Me (Let Me Know) 02:36
02 If You Love Me (Let Me Know) 03:04
03 Promised Land 02:56
04 Promised Land 04:02
05 Down In The Alley 02:51
06 Down In The Alley 02:31
07 It's Midnight 04:02
08 It's Midnight 03:29
09 Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming 04:04
10 Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues 03:12
11 Softly, As I Leave You 03:26
12 Softly, As I Leave You 03:56
13 I'm Leavin' 04:50
14 The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face 05:03
15 Proud Mary 04:12
16 If You Talk In Your Sleep 03:09
17 If You Love Me (Let Me Know) 15:06

CD 2: August 19 - 1974 OS
01 The Twelfth Of Never 02:51
02 Faded Love 03:17
03 Just Pretend 05:03
04 The Twelfth Of Never (Overdubbed Version) 02:37
05 Big Boss Man 02:31
06 Proud Mary 03:15
07 Down In The Alley 01:59
08 Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues 03:10
09 Never Been To Spain 03:47
10 It's Midnight 03:09
11 If You Talk In Your Sleep 03:48
12 I'm Leavin' 03:13
13 Let Me Be There 03:42
14 Softly, As I Leave You 02:38
15 If You Love Me (Let Me Know) 03:08
16 Love Me Tender 01:57
17 Polk Salad Annie 04:16
18 Introductions 03:48
19 Promised Land 02:46
20 Introductions Of Telly Savalas 00:48
21 My Baby Left Me 02:15
22 Bridge Over Troubled Water 04:09
23 Fever 02:55
24 Hound Dog 01:51
25 Can't Help Falling In Love 00:48

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:57 pm

These rehearsals were released on disc 1 of FTD's From Sunset To Las Vegas.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 pm

I just asked Ken Sharp, who did the liner notes, and according to him it's a totally new mix.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I just asked Ken Sharp, who did the liner notes, and according to him it's a totally new mix.

Good to know, many thanks. ::rocks

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:22 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I just asked Ken Sharp, who did the liner notes, and according to him it's a totally new mix.

Thanks for confirming this :D

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 pm

minkahed wrote:You mean no , "Having Fun With Elvis On Stage" two-fer to go with this package.

I'm out ....

Yeah, me, too. Maybe they are saving it for the next Legacy release, a 3 disc deluxe edition of this millstone in Elvis' career. 3 hours of "well, well, well", "you know what I can't do?" and "Mumphis" jokes.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:54 am

Sebastian E wrote:
Axeman wrote:Given that they claim the Richmond show is unreleased, ignoring the FTD issue, I'm guessing that the "Newly Mixed" Memphis show is only newly mixed if you also ignore the FTD release.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but I predict a straight rehash from FTD here. A shame, as I never liked the FTD of Memphis... though I know a lot of people did!

Axe

I never liked the FTD either and will only buy the new release if it contains a new mix of the complete show. One would hope that the producers are aware of the fact that they will lose sales in case the FTD mix is used and therefore have commissioned a new mix.

Oh I wasn't even aware of this... :P :wink:

But I strongly agree with you on this behalf. Let's see IF it's been remixed and remastered WHO did the job. Sorry but I don't want to see C.T., M.B. or L.R. involved in this project.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 am

Did Ken also reveal who prepared the new mix and who did the mastering?

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:45 am

Sebastian E wrote:

Please, not Lene Reidel ! Oh Nooooooooooooo !

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:08 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
Sebastian E wrote:

Please, not Lene Reidel ! Oh Nooooooooooooo !

Isn't she confined to FTD only? Minus the complete boxset..

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:46 am

Vic needs to remix it nobody else esp. not lr.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Maybe they got Dennis Ferrante out of retirement for this? :lol:

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

luckyjackson1 wrote:Maybe they got Dennis Ferrante out of retirement for this? :lol:

Not a bad guy at all! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

RCA/BMG Promised land cd-2000 edition!.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:28 pm

I'd like to see a Legacy ELVIS;NBC TV SPECIAL release. The original album and remaining studio tracks on disc one, and on side two, a compilation of the best live material from all four shows - songs that didn't make the original album. We already have the shows in their entirity - I wouldn't mind an edit of the best bits - especially for the mass market.

Disc two could contain the likes of:

Baby What You Want Me To Do (sit Down)
That's All Right (sit down)
Tiger Man (sit down)
Trying To Get To You (sit Down)
Are You Lonesome Tonight? (sit down)
Love Me (sit down)
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again (sit down)
Santa Claus Is Back in Town (sit down)
Don't Be Cruel (Stand up)
Blue Suede Shoes (Stand up)
Trouble/Guitar Man Stand Up)
Baby What You Want Me To Do (reprise) (Stand Up)

Plus the complete medley

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I'd like to see a Legacy ELVIS;NBC TV SPECIAL release. The original album and remaining studio tracks on disc one, and on side two, a compilation of the best live material from all four shows - songs that didn't make the original album. We already have the shows in their entirity - I wouldn't mind an edit of the best bits - especially for the mass market.

Disc two could contain the likes of:

Baby What You Want Me To Do (sit Down)
That's All Right (sit down)
Tiger Man (sit down)
Trying To Get To You (sit Down)
Are You Lonesome Tonight? (sit down)
Love Me (sit down)
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again (sit down)
Santa Claus Is Back in Town (sit down)
Don't Be Cruel (Stand up)
Blue Suede Shoes (Stand up)
Trouble/Guitar Man Stand Up)
Baby What You Want Me To Do (reprise) (Stand Up)

Plus the complete medley

Then i'd rather have studio outtakes from the 68 comeback sessions..
To re-buy the same material thats available on the complete 68 comeback set, dont make sense to me, and i wouldnt buy it... it be just another compilation.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
To re-buy the same material thats available on the complete 68 comeback set, dont make sense to me, and i wouldnt buy it... it be just another compilation.

But it's aimed at the public. And the public need to hear Elvis at his best live - not a bunch of fragmented outtakes of medley songs.

Those can come out on an FTD. I sure want more of them too - but not on a Legacy. It wouldn't be in keeping with the rest of the fine series.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

But it's aimed at the public. And the public need to hear Elvis at his best live - not a bunch of fragmented outtakes of medley songs.

Those can come out on an FTD. I sure want more of them too - but not on a Legacy. It wouldn't be in keeping with the rest of the fine series.

But the complete box was a public release.. Twice!.
and Elvis At Stax contained Masters + Outtakes.. Something in that way for the 1968 comeback special should work to.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

and Elvis At Stax contained Masters + Outtakes.. Something in that way for the 1968 comeback special should work to.

The 1968 comeback might not have had a legacy edition, but it has been released in a 4CD set under the legacy label. The alternate takes of bits and pieces of medley are really not going to be of interest to the average buyer. It is the live material that was a career-changer, not the studio elements, and that has been already presented in a lovely product currently available at a small price.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:51 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

The 1968 comeback might not have had a legacy edition, but it has been released in a 4CD set under the legacy label. The alternate takes of bits and pieces of medley are really not going to be of interest to the average buyer. It is the live material that was a career-changer, not the studio elements, and that has been already presented in a lovely product currently available at a small price.

Thats true peter.. but that's why i dont see the need of another compilation of the material already available AGAIN.
but if they were goin to.. i would like to hear the unreleased alt takes of the movie songs, rather then to have the same stuff that was released on that 4CD Boxset.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:03 pm

If "NBC TV Special" gets the Legacy Edition treatment, it is hard to imagine the second disc containing unreleased snippets of the medley and production numbers. If anything, the stellar "Tiger Man" sit-down performance would be the most logical inclusion. However, as already stated, the "Complete '68 Comeback Special" 4-CD set is in print and available at a reasonable price point, so one wonders if "NBC TV Special" is a legitimate candidate at this point.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:15 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Thats true peter.. but that's why i dont see the need of another compilation of the material already available AGAIN.
but if they were goin to.. i would like to hear the unreleased alt takes of the movie songs, rather then to have the same stuff that was released on that 4CD Boxset.

But the movie songs have no relation to the album? There is no need for any future retail release of the TV show material - it's nicely presented and a legacy edition would add nothing, and would supply two cds for the same price you can currently buy all four!

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:31 am

2008's "The Complete '68 Comeback Special" is already really a Legacy Edition of 1968's NBC-TV Special album in everything but name. CD1 is said album with associated bonus cuts, and CDs 2-4 contain supporting material. I cannot see any rationale for Legacy to put out another project on this stuff.