Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:43 am

midnightx wrote:
Matthew wrote:Perhaps the whole listing is a mistake. Live On Stage In Memphis in no way qualifies for any kind of Legacy Edition treatment.

Neither did the inclusion of Love Letters with Elvis Country.

it may have started off as "what qualifies" but it sure isn't that way now...and LL was in fact the first clue :wink:

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
greystoke wrote:Is the track-listing on Amazon actually correct?

It may not be. For one thing, a Legacy release usually presents the album as it was released at the time. The 1974 RCA LP did not include the entire concert, it was carefully edited to avoid as much overlap as possible with the 1969, 1970, 1972 and 1973 live albums.

That's not what happened with the Cash prison concerts on Legacy.

As for this release "jumping the shark" - sadly that happened long ago when fans were happy to lap up the legacy editions in the form of twofers with a few singles thrown in. It was lazy programming compared with other releases in the series, and completely unlike any other Legacy edition releases, but they were Elvis releases so fans went out and bought them. If we as fans don't take a stand against Elvis releases being poorly thought out, then why should Sony bother to try and do better? So we shouldn't be surprised at this Legacy release. Add to that the apparent success and critical reception of the Stax albums, and this release doesn't seem so surprising after all. Especially as this will no doubt have 40 anniversary written all over it.

But if this is aimed at the general public, two versions of the very same concert is going to put people off, I would say. So, like others, I'm hoping the tracklisting is incorrect. I've never been convinced the whole of this concert is better than the original edit anyway - the edit made for a fun and enjoyable ride. But you factor in the extra songs and it's not so good. At the very least, the original album should feature in the original edit on disc 1 and then the full thing on disc 2. That would make more sense than the whole concert twice. The Vegas rehearsals make no sense at all - although they would if the second disc was given over completely to soundboard material from August/September 74, but that would be a very difficult move to pull off at retail level.

That said, the Memphis concert has always been my favourite of the 1972-74 live releases. Aloha has Elvis in very pedestrian form, and MSG has always seemed rushed. Elvis is in great voice in Memphis, and seems to be enjoying himself much more than on the previous albums.

As to whether it was redundant when released is up for debate - Robert Matthew Walker said it was in his book way back when. He even went on to say that every song had been recorded before and better - and even that's not true: Let Me Be There and Why Me Lord were completely new songs. I Got a Woman, Trying to Get To You, all of the rock n roll medley except Hound Dog, How Great Thou Art, Blueberry Hill, Help Me, My Baby Left Me, Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Funny How Time Slips away had never been released on record in live versions (with the exception of the 1968 TV show in the case of Clawdy) at the time of release. So, it was far from redundant. And I would argue it doesn't deserve to be the forgotten album that it is.

I'm not sure it deserves the Legacy treatment though. But Elvis's legacy editions are not in line with the rest of that catalogue, so why not? A two-disc treatment of the Sun material would perhaps have been better to tie in with an anniversary, but that still might happen. This is being released 40 years to the week since the concert, so perhaps a Sun release will appear in early July?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:07 am

With Cash's Folsom Prison release, there was an opportunity to present two complete concerts from the original event on two discs, so the "original" album was never going to be presented in it is original form. If the idea was finally present both concerts, it would not have made sense to present the Folsom Prison release as a 4 disc box set (the 4th disc being the DVD) with one disc housing the original, edited album. It would have been way too much recycling of material on the same set, in addition to increasing the retail price point with the extra disc housing the original album. Sony has produced a handful of its traditional 2 disc Legacy Editions with a 3rd bonus disc of DVD content, but once a forth disc would enter the equation, Sony would have been moving into box set territory and different economics would have been associated with any such project. Additionally, Sony kept the original album in print.

In general, all Legacy Editions have the original albums being celebrated in their original configurations on disc one (sometimes some bonus tracks are added after the original sequencing). In the case of the Elvis Legacy Editions, the same rule has applied. Here, it would be very odd to included the complete Memphis album concert twice in two different mixes. I suspect that the Amazon track-listing is inaccurate and that the first disc may very well be the original Felton Jarvis edit (which was actually effectively done), with the second disc being a new remix/remaster of the complete concert (plus the August 1974 bonus cuts). Perhaps I am wrong and Sony wants to present two mixes of the exact same concert, but it doesn't make much sense if the idea is to present Elvis' albums in their original mixes and sequencings.

Clearly, this live album is not worthy of a "Legacy Edition" in the traditional sense, but it does contain a concert with Elvis generally in consistent and strong vocal form, and Elvis' last Grammy Award winning performance. It was the last time his vocals sounded this good in concert; after March 1974 it would never be the same.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:18 am

midnightx wrote: I suspect that the Amazon track-listing is inaccurate and that the first disc may very well be the original Felton Jarvis edit (which was actually effectively done), with the second disc being a new remix/remaster of the complete concert (plus the August 1974 bonus cuts). Perhaps I am wrong

correct, Amazon have made numerous mistakes in the past on their initial posting...probably due to not receiving ALL the details of the product at once, but your post here is most likely what we will get, sounds good! :D but I`m still waiting for a legacy treatment of ETTWII

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:38 am

I am pleased the Memphis concert is being released on legacy, I will definitely buy it. I have always enjoyed this concert, the set-list and Elvis' voice during this show is great.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:49 am

flamingstar81 wrote:I am pleased the Memphis concert is being released on legacy, I will definitely buy it. I have always enjoyed this concert, the set-list and Elvis' voice during this show is great.

All of that being true, haven't you purchased this numerous times? I have the original LP, the CD of that, a Quad LP of it, the Fort Baxter of the more complete concert and the FTD of the complete concert. Legacy edition? Not for me. Why? I know, because we're collectors. Well, have at it.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:19 am

stevelecher wrote:
flamingstar81 wrote:I am pleased the Memphis concert is being released on legacy, I will definitely buy it. I have always enjoyed this concert, the set-list and Elvis' voice during this show is great.

All of that being true, haven't you purchased this numerous times? I have the original LP, the CD of that, a Quad LP of it, the Fort Baxter of the more complete concert and the FTD of the complete concert. Legacy edition? Not for me. Why? I know, because we're collectors. Well, have at it.

You make a good point Steve, I currently have the original album on CD and the FTD, and I used to own Audionics fifth time around but resold it. I'm mainly going to buy it because I like the legacy release format and the layout of their releases, and they always seem to be reasonable priced.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 am

sweetangeline wrote:
midnightx wrote: I suspect that the Amazon track-listing is inaccurate and that the first disc may very well be the original Felton Jarvis edit (which was actually effectively done), with the second disc being a new remix/remaster of the complete concert (plus the August 1974 bonus cuts). Perhaps I am wrong

correct, Amazon have made numerous mistakes in the past on their initial posting...probably due to not receiving ALL the details of the product at once, but your post here is most likely what we will get, sounds good! :D but I`m still waiting for a legacy treatment of ETTWII

And the current tracklisting shows Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Funny How Time Slips Away as not on the original album. So, there's already mistakes - although, going by the mistakes on the set released this week, the mistakes could be Sony's!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:36 am

We will just have to keep an eye on the site, elvisthemusic.
For when this release gets on that site I am sure we will get all the info we need.

Burning Love

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:46 am

I'll probably stick with what I have until everyone says it's in the best sound ever then I'll buy it again.So please,even if the sound is a revelation,don't tell me so I don't buy it yet again.My daughter needs to eat!

norrie

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:55 am

None of the official releases have good sound so far. I do not think they can polish this turd.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:00 am

Good Time Charlies Got The Blues i do can understand. The good times album was released on March 20 1974 (Same as the concert). which included this song.. yet the others make no sence to me.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:01 am

skatterbrane wrote:None of the official releases have good sound so far. I do not think they can polish this turd.

I quite like the FTD.

norrie

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:11 am

norrie wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:None of the official releases have good sound so far. I do not think they can polish this turd.

I quite like the FTD.

norrie

Same here, still if a new remix is presented I will check it out..

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:12 am

norrie wrote:

I quite like the FTD.

norrie

I suspect the FTD is about as good as it is going to get. I never bothered to listen to the CM version however.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 am

I always enjoyed the original mix - so what if it was overdubbed to make the crowd sound more excited? I'm sure very few people knew that was the case back in 1974. Once again too much info into the background of releases can result in us pulling them to bits.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:02 am

The original mix sounds better, but the audience is almost as loud as Elvis' voice. The FTD has more echo, even though the voice is more forward. As I say, I have not heard the CM version.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:20 am

That seems a rather odd choice for a Legacy release, I wish they would have the original album on cd 1 & on cd 2 have the 'Hello Memphis' show it is a very good soundboard that has not seen an official release yet & it is the true first homecoming show.

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:27 am

I want a multi-track recording of his 1961 Memphis appearance. Until then, there really isn't an unreleased live show I care much about.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:30 am

JEFF d wrote:That seems a rather odd choice for a Legacy release, I wish they would have the original album on cd 1 & on cd 2 have the 'Hello Memphis' show it is a very good soundboard that has not seen an official release yet & it is the true first homecoming show.

JEFF d
EP fan

Possibly Sony are working up the anniversaries each year ready 2015 - 80th birthday. I think that will bring us, among other thing, a complete albums boxed set similar to the Johnny Cash one released for his 80th birthday year. It's the choice of the same concert on both discs that doesn't make sense. The only time that would have made sense would have been Elvis Country: complete album as released on disc 1 and then the unedited masters on disc 2 without the linking sections. Alas, that was not to be.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:33 am

skatterbrane wrote:I want a multi-track recording of his 1961 Memphis appearance.

I think most everyone here would love this!

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 am

I believe that Ken Sharp did the liner notes for this one, so perhaps that he can provide more info?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:00 am

55 live tracks for $16 USD, IMHO there's not much to complain about.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:05 am

We should really wait for an official announcement before drawing too many conclusions on this. I wonder if the FTD will be deleted now.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:39 am

steve in SC wrote:55 live tracks for $16 USD, IMHO there's not much to complain about.

No, only half of that as you're getting most of them twice.