Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Post by L Ray »

Jarle Jensen wrote:Just listened to this release. What a dissapointment. Probably the most boring mix ever of an Elvis show.

The original was one of the best pre 1977 live releases, it had a real live feeling to it. The new mix is way too clean (done to remove hiss ofcours). It might work on cheap systems where the mid range is missing anyway. But if you are used to better and fuller sound you get really bored listening to this remaster/remix. More midrange is needed here to get more life to this recording, but that is not possible without introducing tape hiss. Today sound quality is just a matter of removing as most hiss and noise as possible.

"This is the new an improved Elvis sound". I am really sad if this is the way we will hear Elvis in the future.

Thank God for FTD allowing Kevan Budd to remaster the Jailhouse Rock releases. That is how true to life sound is all about.

The Jailhouse House Rock vol. 2 was done by Vic and Sebastian. Thank God or those guys too. We don't want God to be confused.

JamieAKelley
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by JamieAKelley »

Not sure what you're listening on, but I listen with my studio mixing equipment (maybe that's why eq wasn't a problem for me? not sure). I'd like a bit more bass guitar and more voices (and with voices on the side instead of center for more space in the sound) but for me this is still the most fresh sound we've had. I'm still glad I have the original mix, but this is the one I'll come back to now.

But we're all different, and we like what we like. :)

Interesting what your thoughts are on this release and mention Kevan, as brightness for hearing clarity above sound body was actually a consistent trait of Kevan's 50's restoration work - and I say that as someone who very much enjoyed the releases he worked on. That's not meant "tongue in cheek" or anything like that, just thought I'd mention the observation.

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

Jarle Jensen
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Jarle Jensen »

Johnny2523 wrote:Huh?...
......I dont think you can compare a studio album to a live album..
Why not. It is the mastering/mixing I am comparing, not the recording prosess and the quality of the recording.

You are free to comment on everything ofcours. But it would have been more interesting to hear your own comments on the use of noise reduction and removal of mid range. Or what do you really like about this release compared to the original (or the FTD).

kind regards
Jarle Jensen

Jarle Jensen
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Jarle Jensen »

JamieAKelley wrote:Not sure what you're listening on, but I listen with my studio mixing equipment (maybe that's why eq wasn't a problem for me? not sure). I'd like a bit more bass guitar and more voices (and with voices on the side instead of center for more space in the sound) but for me this is still the most fresh sound we've had. I'm still glad I have the original mix, but this is the one I'll come back to now....
I listened to this release on a pair of Focal Electra 1027, a set I like very much. Typical french very close to the sound balance you get from a vintage set of JMR (Jean Marie Raynaud) speakers. I personally don't like to listen to music on studio monitors in my living room. They work best in a dead room.

I see your points about space and clearity of the voices, but the overall sound gets too boring for my taste.

kind regards
Jarle Jensen

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

Jarle Jensen wrote:Just listened to this release. What a dissapointment. Probably the most boring mix ever of an Elvis show.

The original was one of the best pre 1977 live releases, it had a real live feeling to it. The new mix is way too clean (done to remove hiss ofcours). It might work on cheap systems where the mid range is missing anyway. But if you are used to better and fuller sound you get really bored listening to this remaster/remix. More midrange is needed here to get more life to this recording, but that is not possible without introducing tape hiss. Today sound quality is just a matter of removing as most hiss and noise as possible.

"This is the new an improved Elvis sound". I am really sad if this is the way we will hear Elvis in the future.

Thank God for FTD allowing Kevan Budd to remaster the Jailhouse Rock releases. That is how true to life sound is all about.
I haven't listened (and won't be listening) to it enough to know how much hiss reduction is responsible for the bunched-up flat sound of this release, but I second your words bigtime. When I read people in Elvis world moaning about a bit of tape hiss or applauding releases where it's been removed, it makes my soul sink. They have no idea what damage can be done to the sonics by using noise reduction to remove hiss.

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years

Post by YDKM »

:D Well i listened to this release twice again and thoroughly enjoyed it!~ :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

Matthew wrote:
elvisjock wrote:If you like rock concerts without drums, the FTD will make you very happy.
You must have a very rare copy of the FTD.
I think he must be referring to the April 18th 1972 show that was included on the "Close up" box set; by about the 4th or 5th track, the drums seem to have mysteriously moved behind the stage or something!!!! :cry:

Jamie
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Jamie »

Tony.. wrote:
Matthew wrote:
elvisjock wrote:If you like rock concerts without drums, the FTD will make you very happy.
You must have a very rare copy of the FTD.
I think he must be referring to the April 18th 1972 show that was included on the "Close up" box set; by about the 4th or 5th track, the drums seem to have mysteriously moved behind the stage or something!!!! :cry:

Yes I can't get excited by that mix. I prefer the rough mixes on Greensboro and Richmond bootlegs as they at least capture the excitement and power of the gig. On the San Antonio concert where does JS bass solo on Polk disappear to?

Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

YDKM wrote::D Well i listened to this release twice again and thoroughly enjoyed it!~ :D
The Sweet Inspirations never sounded better!

elvis71
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by elvis71 »

This release gets wonderful reviews from all over the world :D , and the mix is the best i've ever heard !!!, so therefore i do not agree with the negative comments on this release some fans will never be satisfied i guess ,and that's a a sad thing , being negative about this release is ( and i say it again) 100% not justified, i listened to this concert a dozen times, and that will not end very soon, wonderful release, this release is among my favorite legacy releases ever ::rocks

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Jamie wrote:On the San Antonio concert where does JS bass solo on Polk disappear to?
I have yet to find a release with the later Polk Salad Annie arrangement that betters the original Madison Square Garden album mix for being able to hear the bass solo properly.

JamieAKelley

Post by JamieAKelley »

Jarle Jensen wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote:Not sure what you're listening on, but I listen with my studio mixing equipment (maybe that's why eq wasn't a problem for me? not sure). I'd like a bit more bass guitar and more voices (and with voices on the side instead of center for more space in the sound) but for me this is still the most fresh sound we've had. I'm still glad I have the original mix, but this is the one I'll come back to now....
I listened to this release on a pair of Focal Electra 1027, a set I like very much. Typical french very close to the sound balance you get from a vintage set of JMR (Jean Marie Raynaud) speakers. I personally don't like to listen to music on studio monitors in my living room. They work best in a dead room.

I see your points about space and clearity of the voices, but the overall sound gets too boring for my taste.
Nice. :D I wouldn't want to listen with studio speakers in a living room either - but since I do so much audio work I built a studio at my house for recording/mixing/mastering, and I've yet to find a setup I'm happier with.

I think part of it is also what each of us is used to mix-wise. We'll see how time changes things too, as right now my experience is likely clouded by the unedited status and the clarity (of the drums especially, something that is a huge preference with me).

Sincerely,
Jamie

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

JamieAKelley wrote:
Jarle Jensen wrote:

Nice. :D I wouldn't want to listen with studio speakers in a living room either - but since I do so much audio work I built a studio at my house for recording/mixing/mastering, and I've yet to find a setup I'm happier with.

I think part of it is also what each of us is used to mix-wise. We'll see how time changes things too, as right now my experience is likely clouded by the unedited status and the clarity (of the drums especially, something that is a huge preference with me).
The same happens with me: the drums were never there before. Yes, I know they were, but they were obscured by the tambourine and parts of the drum set were not audible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iván

La voz del Rey

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

For the best sounding MSG Show (both afternoon & eve.), get PFAP

For the best sounding Aloha, get the 1998 release of AFH (for the main show)
For the best sounding Aloha rehearsal, get the Legacy release. (Disc 2)

For the best sounding Memphis show, get the Legacy release.

Of course, some may not agree, but that's just my opinion.
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years

Post by YDKM »

:D The drums in the new release are 'OUTSANDING' in specially 'trying to get to you' and 'polk salad' amazing ..one of THE best reasons why i love this release so much- hey i may even play it on way to work tommorow -it's THAT GOOD!~ :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Jarle Jensen wrote:

I used a cheap DVD player through the speakers on my six year old flat screen TV. I effing loved it, but what do I know? I've only been buying Elvis music for 43 years.

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by debtd1 »

The Pirate wrote:
Jarle Jensen wrote:

I used a cheap DVD player through the speakers on my six year old flat screen TV. I effing loved it, but what do I know? I've only been buying Elvis music for 43 years.
funny........ :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

YDKM wrote::D The drums in the new release are 'OUTSANDING' in specially 'trying to get to you' and 'polk salad' amazing ..one of THE best reasons why i love this release so much- hey i may even play it on way to work tommorow -it's THAT GOOD!~ :D

Just don't get pulled over for distractive driving. Fines can be steep. :smt002

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

YDKM wrote::D The drums in the new release are 'OUTSANDING' in specially 'trying to get to you' and 'polk salad' amazing ..one of THE best reasons why i love this release so much- hey i may even play it on way to work tommorow -it's THAT GOOD!~ :D
The TCB Band: Live On Stage In Memphis, special guest Elvis Presley!

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The Pirate wrote:
Jarle Jensen wrote:

As I have mentioned, some opinions are affected by the equipment people use to evaluate the material. The better the equipment, the more credibility I would put on people's opinions about the sound, mix and fidelity of the recording. So, I would basically ignore those who listen through a TV or with ear buds and iPod or smart phone or car stereo for example.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Finally got it!
My first impression is quite positive.

JB and Ronnie are dominating which is good. Elvis vocal is a bit dry but that's what most of you audiophile board members want isn't it? :wink:

Compression is related to today's fashion and it doesn't bother me although I agree it tones down the sharp edges of the music.

My verdict: it's a job well done but especially the bass could have been a bit more upfront, that's a letdown as bass guitar is the fundament of every recording. Even if it's Duke Bardwell.

Still, I prefer the FTD!
It has an ambient sound, but not at all drenched in reverb as some of you claim here.
It has more of a concert feel to it and Elvis vocal shines way better than on this Legacy recording..

JamieAKelley

Post by JamieAKelley »

skatterbrane wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jarle Jensen wrote:

As I have mentioned, some opinions are affected by the equipment people use to evaluate the material. The better the equipment, the more credibility I would put on people's opinions about the sound, mix and fidelity of the recording. So, I would basically ignore those who listen through a TV or with ear buds and iPod or smart phone or car stereo for example.
I also listen with my ipod when I'm working out, so does that put me back down to a "4" rating? lol j/k

As for what King Volcano said about the sound being "bunched up" - that's one thing I do agree wih, and why (while I very much like it) I wouldn't give the sound a perfect 10. For the (read: my) perfect mix, the voices would be more on the side and raised a bit on certain songs. The guitars seem ok to me, though James is in the Center AND the right, which is interesting. And I would like more bass guitar to fill it up, though I can do some of that with EQ.

But then everybody will have their own ideas of what they'd prefer. Maybe in 30 years we'll get a Blu-ray (or other format) with the multitracks so we can mix it ourselves? With technology being what it is, who knows.. :)

Sincerely,
Jamie

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

skatterbrane wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jarle Jensen wrote:

Does a 7.1 Bose Cinema Set count?.
Because it sounds awesome on there.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

JamieAKelley

Post by JamieAKelley »

Robert wrote:Finally got it!
My first impression is quite positive.

JB and Ronnie are dominating which is good. Elvis vocal is a bit dry but that's what most of you audiophile board members want isn't it? :wink:

Compression is related to today's fashion and it doesn't bother me although I agree it tones down the sharp edges of the music.

My verdict: it's a job well done but especially the bass could have been a bit more upfront, that's a letdown as bass guitar is the fundament of every recording. Even if it's Duke Bardwell.

Still, I prefer the FTD!
It has an ambient sound, but not at all drenched in reverb as some of you claim here.
It has more of a concert feel to it and Elvis vocal shines way better than on this Legacy recording..
Thanks for sharing your thoughts (and to everyone else who did too). Your post gets me thinking: I wouldn't mind hearing the FTD mix with the Legacy version's reverb level actually. That might fix a lot. For me (not for you, which is fine), it sounds very drenched in reverb (or at least too much audience mic in the mix if not reverb per se, especially after hearing this). The drums would pop more for sure. And yeah, nothing lets you hear Elvis' vocal goodness like a semi-dry vocal. :)

Sincerely,
Jamie

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

skatterbrane wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jarle Jensen wrote:

I guess what it comes down to is a choice between analysing the wav files, or enjoying the music. Silly me, I choose the latter every time.