Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 pm

L Ray wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
jeanno wrote:It looks like the Legacy group is doing like RCA 40 years ago: more and more live albums. A Legacy production dedicated to the Sun recordings (60th anniversary) would have made more sense to me, and it was also the perfect opportunity to release the live I Forgot To Remember To Forget. Instead here is Elvis live in 74 singing Mama Don't Dance and Let Me Be There. This is very disappointing.

There are much better albums that deserve a legacy treatment (even the one dedicated to Elvis albums) but here we go again wasting time and space in the catalogue.

Who says legacy aint releasing stuff related to sun later this year? it's only January!!

That's right, it's not July yet. If we are hearing about this one in Jan. then we might hear about a Sun set in April or May.

It goes without saying that Sony will ultimately produce a new, updated mainstream Sun set.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:47 pm

The Legacy Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis is now on the http://www.elvisthemusic.com website.

It does not mention who remixed & remastered the Memphis show.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I believe that Ken Sharp did the liner notes for this one, so perhaps that he can provide more info?

Ken where are you... :wink: ....?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:The Legacy Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis is now on the http://www.elvisthemusic.com website.

Simple copy paste.. they still havent fixed the tracklisting to CD 2. My baby left me, How Great Thou Art and Lawdy Miss Clawdy werent performed at this concert. And I Can't Stop loving you isnt mentioned (it's without blueberry hill!)

this is the right tracklist!

Tracklisting
Also Sprach Zarathustra (Richard Strauss)
See See Rider (Trad. Arr. E. Presley)\
I Got A Woman - Amen (Ray Charles) (J. Hairston)
Love Me (J. Leiber / M. Stoller)
Trying To Get To You (Singleton / McCoy)
All Shook Up (O. Blackwell / E. Presley)
Steamroller Blues (James Taylor)
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel (K. Mann / B. Lowe) (O. Blackwell / E. Presley)
Love Me Tender (V. Matson / E. Presley)
Long Tall Sally / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On / Your Mama Don't Dance
Flip Flop And Fly / Jailhouse Rock / Hound Dog (Johnson / Penniman / Blackwell) (Williams / David) (Loggins / Messina) (Big Joe Turner) (Leiber / Stoller) (Leiber / Stoller)
Fever (Davenport / Cooley)
Polk Salad Annie (T.J. White)
Why Me Lord (Kris Kristofferson)
Suspicious Minds (Mark James)
Band Introductions
I Can’t Stop Loving You (Don Gibson)
Help Me (Larry Gatlin)
American Trilogy (Mickey Newbury)
Let Me Be There (with Reprise) (John Rostill)
Funny How Time Slips Away (Willie Nelson)
Can’t Help Falling In Love (Peretti / Creatore / Weiss)
Closing Vamp

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:The Legacy Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis is now on the http://www.elvisthemusic.com website.

Hmm.

'Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis' 40th Anniversary 2CD Edition To Be Released March 18

140108_recordedmemphis.jpg

RCA/Legacy Recordings Set to Release 40th Anniversary 2CD Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis, the King of Rock's Triumphant 1974 Hometown Return Concert

Newly Remastered Album Includes All Concert Tracks Not Included on Original Vinyl

2nd Disc Premieres Previously Unreleased MONO "Test Run" of Entire Concert Recorded with a Live Audience at the Richmond Coliseum on March 18, 1974

RCA Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (http://smarturl.it/elvis_ERLOSIM_amzn) with an expanded 2CD release of the monumental concert experience featuring tracks left off the original album (because of the spatial limitations of vinyl) plus a wealth of previously unreleased material.

Disc 2 of the newly remastered expanded Legacy Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis presents for the first time a recently located recording of Elvis' complete concert "test run" held for an ecstatic live audience on March 18, 1974, two days before his historic concert return to Memphis, where he'd last played live in 1957. The remarkable "test run" performance was recorded in MONO, drenched in the reverb Elvis preferred, and provides new insight into the magic of Elvis.

As a special added bonus for Elvis aficionados, Disc 2 of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis includes five intimate tracks (three of them previously unreleased) cut at the RCA Studios in Hollywood on August 16, 1974. Originally intended as reference recordings for an upcoming Las Vegas engagement, the performances—which include "Down In The Alley," "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues," "Softly As I Leave You," "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and "The Twelfth Of Never"—-provide a rare fly-on-the-wall glimpse into Elvis' consummate backstage artistry as he prepares these songs for concert.

The musicians backing Elvis on Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis include James Burton and John Wilkinson (guitars); Charlie Hodge (guitar and vocals); Duke Bardwell (bass); Ronnie Tutt (drums); Glen D. Hardin (piano); The Sweet Inspirations, J.D. Sumner & The Stamps, Kathy Westmoreland (vocals) with Joe Guercio and his Orchestra.

Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis will include a 24 page booklet featuring rare photos, previously unseen memorabilia, new liner notes, press clips and more.

Following the artistic success of his 1973 Stax sessions and the global phenomenon of the Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite album and broadcast the same year, Elvis opened 1974 with a 15 city tour routed to end in Memphis and a state-of-the-art concert recording.

"I wanted to record a live session in my hometown of Memphis," said Elvis at the time. "After all, this is where it all started out for me."

Originally released on vinyl on July 7, 1974, Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis reached #1 on the Country charts and featured "How Great Thou Art," the track that would bring Elvis his third (and third Gospel) Grammy win.

Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis

Disc 1

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me
Trying To Get To You
All Shook Up (not included on original album)
Steamroller Blues (not included on original album)
Teddy Bear-Don't Be Cruel (not included on original album)
Love Me Tender (not included on original album)
Long Tall Sally-Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On-Mama Don't Dance-Flip, Flop And Fly-Jailhouse Rock-Hound Dog
Fever (not included on original album)
Polk Salad Annie (not included on original album)
Why Me Lord
How Great Thou Art
Suspicious Minds (not included on original album)
Introductions (not included on original album)
Help Me
An American Trilogy
Let Me Be There
My Baby Left Me
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy (not included on original album)
Funny How Time Slips Away (not included on original album)
Can't Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

Disc 2
The Richmond "Test Run" Concert
- previously unreleased

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me
Trying To Get To You
All Shook Up
Steamroller Blues
Teddy Bear-Don't Be Cruel
Love Me Tender
Long Tall Sally-Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On-Mama Don't Dance-Flip, Flop And Fly-Jailhouse Rock-Hound Dog
Fever
Polk Salad Annie
Why Me Lord
How Great Thou Art
Suspicious Minds
Introductions
Help Me
An American Trilogy
Let Me Be There
My Baby Left Me
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy
Funny How Time Slips Away
Can't Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

Recorded live March 18, 1974 at the Coliseum, Richmond

The August 1974 RCA Rehearsal
Down In The Alley (previously unreleased)
Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues (previously unreleased)
Softly As I Leave You
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (previously unreleased)
The Twelfth Of Never

'Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis' 40th Anniversary 2CD Edition To Be Released March 18 | The Official Elvis Presley Site
http://www.elvisthemusic.com/us/news/elvis-recorded-live-stage-memphis-40th-anniversary-2cd-edition-be-released-march-18
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 pm

I don't get it. What is this "test run" concert on the 2nd disc?
Is this the same concert we got on "48 hours to memphis" FTD?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 pm

http://www.bluesmagazine.nl/40th-anniversary-2cd-edition-elvis-recorded-live-stage-memphis
Vandaag, op de 79ste geboortedag van Elvis, maakt The Legacy bekend dat op 14 maart a.s. een bijzonder heruitgave van het album ‘Elvis Recorded Live In Memphis’ het licht zal zien. Het originele album verscheen vrijwel exact 40 jaar eerder, op 20 maart 1974. De nieuwe uitgave is bijzonder: disc 1 bevat het oorspronkelijke album, geheel opnieuw gemixed, en nu aangevuld met de songs die –wegens ruimtegebrek- destijds niet op het vinyl terecht kwamen. Op disc 2 is het volledige concert te horen dat Elvis enkele dagen eerder in Richmond gaf, en dat hij als een test voor de show in Memphis beschouwde. Daarnaast zijn op deze schijf delen te vinden van de opgenomen repetities (augustus ’74) voor een serie concerten in Las Vegas, met zeldzame opnames als ‘Softly As I Leave You’ en ‘The Twelfth Of Never’.

In English:
Today on the 79th anniversary of elvis his birthday, Legacy announces a remarkable re-release of the album ''Elvis Recorded Live In Memphis'' Out on March 14.
This new release is special: Disc 1 contains the original album, Again remixed, and now filled with the remaining songs that where removed because of ''Space Limitations''.
On disc 2 we get the full concert that elvis gave days before in Richmond, which was considered a test run. We also get rehearsals recorded in (August '74) for a series of concerts in las vegas, with rare recordings of ''Softly as i leave you'' and ''The Twelfth Of Never

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Greg1995 wrote:I don't get it. What is this "test run" concert on the 2nd disc?
Is this the same concert we got on "48 hours to memphis" FTD?

Yes it is, and most likely in the same sound to.
I would personally have chosen the March 17 1974 recording in memphis, Which we got ''That's Allright Mama'' And ''Johnny Be Goode'' From as bonus tracks on the "48 hours to memphis" FTD
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:42 pm

They are calling it a "test run" insinuating that it was recorded to make sure things went smoothly for the real deal two days later.

Sounds more exciting that way.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Disc 2 of the newly remastered expanded Legacy Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis presents for the first time a recently located recording of Elvis' complete concert "test run" held for an ecstatic live audience on March 18, 1974, two days before his historic concert return to Memphis, where he'd last played live in 1957. The remarkable "test run" performance was recorded in MONO, drenched in the reverb Elvis preferred, and provides new insight into the magic of Elvis.

It's slightly worrying that Sony don't even know that he performed in Memphis in 1961!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
It's slightly worrying that Sony don't even know that he performed in Memphis in 1961!

I find more worrying that they don't know the show is actually previously released.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:10 pm

we have everything from FTD and I do not think anything has been changed on sound. They could publish a studio album again. Put Luck with bonus and the lost album with the May 63 session with bonus would be nice.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
http://www.bluesmagazine.nl/40th-anniversary-2cd-edition-elvis-recorded-live-stage-memphis
Vandaag, op de 79ste geboortedag van Elvis, maakt The Legacy bekend dat op 14 maart a.s. een bijzonder heruitgave van het album ‘Elvis Recorded Live In Memphis’ het licht zal zien. Het originele album verscheen vrijwel exact 40 jaar eerder, op 20 maart 1974. De nieuwe uitgave is bijzonder: disc 1 bevat het oorspronkelijke album, geheel opnieuw gemixed, en nu aangevuld met de songs die –wegens ruimtegebrek- destijds niet op het vinyl terecht kwamen. Op disc 2 is het volledige concert te horen dat Elvis enkele dagen eerder in Richmond gaf, en dat hij als een test voor de show in Memphis beschouwde. Daarnaast zijn op deze schijf delen te vinden van de opgenomen repetities (augustus ’74) voor een serie concerten in Las Vegas, met zeldzame opnames als ‘Softly As I Leave You’ en ‘The Twelfth Of Never’.

In English:
Today on the 79th anniversary of elvis his birthday, Legacy announces a remarkable re-release of the album ''Elvis Recorded Live In Memphis'' Out on March 14.
This new release is special: Disc 1 contains the original album, Again remixed, and now filled with the remaining songs that where removed because of ''Space Limitations''.
On disc 2 we get the full concert that elvis gave days before in Richmond, which was considered a test run. We also get rehearsals recorded in (August '74) for a series of concerts in las vegas, with rare recordings of ''Softly as i leave you'' and ''The Twelfth Of Never

Ummmm, sorry but where is it stated that the concert has been remixed? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 pm

lpa wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

I find more worrying that they don't know the show is actually previously released.

Will be interesting to see what the actual product lists with regards to this material, the On Stage Legacy Edition credited the FTD material borrowed for that one.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

In English:

Ummmm, sorry but where is it stated that the concert has been remixed? Sorry for the inconvenience.

right there in dutch, thats why i translated it.

disc 1 bevat het oorspronkelijke album, geheel opnieuw gemixed,en nu aangevuld met de songs die –wegens ruimtegebrek- destijds niet op het vinyl terecht kwamen

means This new release is special: Disc 1 contains the original album, Again remixed, and now filled with the remaining songs that where removed because of ''Space Limitations''.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:25 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Ummmm, sorry but where is it stated that the concert has been remixed? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Indeed, it could merely be a re-issue of the existing Chris Theis remix from 2004.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:25 pm

It's stated from the website Johnny2523 quoted (http://www.bluesmagazine.nl/40th-anniversary-2cd-edition-elvis-recorded-live-stage-memphis/)

I did my own translation and it's basically the same -->

Today, on the 79th birthday of Elvis, The Legacy is known that on 14 March, a special edition of the album "Elvis Recorded Live In Memphis" will see the light. The original album was released almost exactly 40 years earlier, on March 20, 1974. The new edition is special: Disc 1 contains the original album, completely mixed again, and now supplemented with the songs, because of space-time is not ended up on the vinyl. On disc 2 is told that Elvis gave a few days earlier in Richmond, the entire concert, and that he regarded as a test for the show in Memphis. In addition, this drive to find the rehearsals recorded (august '74) for a series of concerts in Las Vegas, with rare recordings as "Softly As I Leave You" and "The Twelfth Of Never.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 pm

lpa wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It's slightly worrying that Sony don't even know that he performed in Memphis in 1961!

The first statement is a typo, the second correct.

The 1974 Richmond show has not been released at retail.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The first statement is a typo, the second correct.

Neither had the August 1969 bonus cuts on the On Stage - Legacy Edition, yet they are duly credited as being first issued on the In Person FTD within the booklet for said release. I wonder if the Richmond show will be given the same curtesy.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Still no FS of Help Me...I guess..we poor collectors... :cry:

:wink:

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 pm

Well the sound on the FTD was... fair... So let's hope that this is indeed a new remix...

::rocks

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:11 am

Matthew wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Ummmm, sorry but where is it stated that the concert has been remixed? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Indeed, it could merely be a re-issue of the existing Chris Theis remix from 2004.

Oh no Lord, then help me.

Albert Goldman wrote:I'm ashamed to admit, but I didn't even listen to the rehearsal show.... I have to check it out.

Here's Mountain and Steamroller from the alternate show on the legacy edition - still sounds great to my ears. Okay, if I'd be nitpicking again I'd say the horns might be a little too upfront and Elvis and James a little too far in the back of the mix but all in all it sounds natural and clear to me.

http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/39958696/file.html
(File size: 68MB)

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Albert Goldman wrote:Really? I loved his work on MSG show. I hope the dude is back!

But I didn't like Breuer's work on the afternoon show. I think he ruined it with the echo and compression.
Last edited by luckyjackson1 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:14 am

By God, the Help Me false start better be there this time!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
lpa wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It's slightly worrying that Sony don't even know that he performed in Memphis in 1961!

While correct, but the claim by Sony is intellectually dishonest.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:20 am

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
lpa wrote:

While correct, but the claim by Sony is intellectually dishonest.

Isn't ShopElvis a retail store?