Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Where to Start

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:38 pm

skatterbrane wrote:That was posted for the PICTURES he requested, not the price. Anyone with a little savy and resourcefulness can hunt down the best price on the internet.

exactly... are these ppl for real??

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Yes, I'm for real.

Hunting down best prices on the internet for Elvis packages is precisely what I've been doing lately.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:08 am

Richard--W wrote:Yes, I'm for real.

Hunting down best prices on the internet for Elvis packages is precisely what I've been doing lately.

I was NOT suggesting him pay that price on the link, he asked to see what the new layout looked for the boxset, & it has already been pointed out a number of times the Amazon price.

PAY ATTENTION

& it took me all of 2 minutes to do a google search to find the photos for the boxset, this aint rocket science people

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:46 am

Who's not paying attention? I reacted to the price there, not to your posting the link. My post was not a criticism of you personally nor was I blind to the point of your link.

You don't mind if I share my price-hunt findings with the good folks here occasionally, do you.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:48 am

So has the OP bought anything yet? If you are not going to systematically buy all his original albums, starting with something like my list. Then the next best thing are these 3 boxes, and heck, I would have ordered them by now. It would keep you busy for a LONG time digesting all that material.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:11 am

skatterbrane wrote:So has the OP bought anything yet? If you are not going to systematically buy all his original albums, starting with something like my list. Then the next best thing are these 3 boxes, and heck, I would have ordered them by now. It would keep you busy for a LONG time digesting all that material.

I haven't decided yet, too much to go thru.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:12 am

Wish we'd given you less suggestions.

Let us know what you decide on.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:43 am

skatterbrane wrote:So has the OP bought anything yet?

Of course, many, many moons ago and long before this thread! :lol:

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:35 am

Matthew wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:So has the OP bought anything yet?

Of course, many, many moons ago and long before this thread! :lol:

Yup.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

I sure never take more than a few minutes to make a decision on something like this. I would have picked a route, depending on my end game plan, by now.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:52 am

skatterbrane wrote:I sure never take more than a few minutes to make a decision on something like this. I would have picked a route, depending on my end game plan, by now.
yeah I guess I just operate differently

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:29 am

Yes, I think most people operate differently than I do. I just do not have the patience to think things over too much. I just do it. But I guess my training as an Air Traffic Controller has a lot to do with it. Nothing worse than doing nothing in that profession.

Those 50s, 60s and 70s boxes are cheap enough, even if you decide to buy the individual albums later it hardly matters. And as for soundtracks, this is the way to go, no doubt!: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG4E6XG/ref ... BH6U27KCYX So with those 4 boxes, the 50s, the 60s, the 70s and the 20 CD soundtrack box, you will have the bulk of his entire output.

Or you could buy the 50s box, the 60s box, the 20 CD soundtrack box and this box: http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-20-Original ... collection and have a bit of overlap but more of the 70s material than the 70s box has to offer.

By the time you fully digest and appreciate either of those choices you will have had enough time to consider if you want to go 100% and probably have earned more money by then!

Man, if only it would have been that easy to own most of Elvis's canon in one fell swoop like that when I started out.

Now, I have most of his albums on CD with several copies just for the different mixes and mastering through the years. Some albums I am 5 or 6 deep on. And I am STILL looking for different masters of the same material.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:37 am

Many have mentioned the mastering on the 50s and 60s boxes have been much improved since, which is true. But for my money the 70s box has better mixes and mastering than that same material does today. (for the most part)

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Skatterbrane, thanks for your insight on the different masterings, I had not given it much attention before I red some of your posts. Normally I have just asumed that most new releases were better than the older, or assumed that buying more versions of an album was overkill, but you have made me more curious, regarding different (including older) masterings, (this could prove to be an expensive insight, so I realle don't know if I should thank you :) ) I also agree with you former post regarding what to buy, but would ad one of the gospel sets (Amazing grace or I believe), in case this kind of music should interest a new listener.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:52 pm

I Believe is the way to go with the Gospel. They did benefit from the newer mastering (in general) I am not a fan of He Touched Me material, but the His Hand In Mine and How Great Thou Art material is superb. You're welcome. Not everyone would agree with me that the 70s box sounds better than the 2007 masters of the same material, but I really think it does. I prefer the 2000 CD Promised Land expanded over the same material found on recent editions of Good Times CD, again not all would agree with me.

I think 95% would agree that the 50s and 60s box's material has been significantly improved with the newer mastering. So, my original suggestion was to buy those Legacy Editions.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:11 am

jdw89 wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I sure never take more than a few minutes to make a decision on something like this. I would have picked a route, depending on my end game plan, by now.
yeah I guess I just operate differently

There's a lot of you to go around.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:47 am

I vote someone should order me the 50's set. ::rocks :lol:

I also found this reviews for the King of Rock N Roll set:

The music is timeless, of course, and this set delivers the goods. As historic as these performances are, you'd think there would be an information booklet included with the set, as there was with the 1992 set and, indeed, just about every CD set on the market. Nope! Keep that in mind when deciding which set to order, this more recent slipcase version or the older box. As far as I can tell from the reviews, the mastering and sonic quality are the same. Incidentally, used copies of the 1992 booklet are available on the Amazon site for extra $$.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:59 am

And I vote someone should buy me a 2002 Cadillac Eldorado ETC.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:03 am

skatterbrane wrote:And I vote someone should buy me a 2002 Cadillac Eldorado ETC.

I don't think the price of a box set ($26) can compare to something like that. I'd definitely buy it but have a massive shortage of funds at the moment unfortunately. :sosorry:

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:21 am

Ah, but the same attitude is conveyed in my post as was in yours. I have things I want and cannot afford, this has, and will always be the case. I do not go on the Cadillac forum (I am a member) and ask about things I do not have the money to buy yet.

I thought you had already budgeted yourself $100 to get a start on your Elvis CD collection, or was that a pipe dream, and this whole thread was nothing but a futile exercise? I get kids emailing me for months, even years talking about buying my products, but finally when it gets right down to it, they don't have two nickels to rub together. I guess they probably bug just about everyone who has something they want. They just like dreaming about it.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:43 am

skatterbrane wrote:Ah, but the same attitude is conveyed in my post as was in yours. I have things I want and cannot afford, this has, and will always be the case. I do not go on the Cadillac forum (I am a member) and ask about things I do not have the money to buy yet.

I thought you had already budgeted yourself $100 to get a start on your Elvis CD collection, or was that a pipe dream, and this whole thread was nothing but a futile exercise? I get kids emailing me for months, even years talking about buying my products, but finally when it gets right down to it, they don't have two nickels to rub together. I guess they probably bug just about everyone who has something they want. They just like dreaming about it.

Bingo!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:52 am

jdw89 wrote:I vote someone should order me the 50's set. ::rocks :lol:

The music is timeless, of course, and this set delivers the goods. As historic as these performances are, you'd think there would be an information booklet included with the set, as there was with the 1992 set and, indeed, just about every CD set on the market. Nope! Keep that in mind when deciding which set to order, this more recent slipcase version or the older box. As far as I can tell from the reviews, the mastering and sonic quality are the same. Incidentally, used copies of the 1992 booklet are available on the Amazon site for extra $$.

The recent release of the 50s masters does have a booklet. I'm not quite sure what version this guy has (never heard of a slipcase edition), but it's clearly not the most recent one which is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Rock-Roll-Complete-Masters/dp/B008VI0A2G/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389145780&sr=1-2&keywords=elvis+king+of+rock+n+roll

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:57 am

poormadpeter wrote:
jdw89 wrote:I vote someone should order me the 50's set. ::rocks :lol:

The recent release of the 50s masters does have a booklet. I'm not quite sure what version this guy has (never heard of a slipcase edition), but it's clearly not the most recent one which is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Rock-Roll-Complete-Masters/dp/B008VI0A2G/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389145780&sr=1-2&keywords=elvis+king+of+rock+n+roll

Well then I wouldn't even want that one if it doesn't even have the booklet, I don't know why numerous people here have stated that it came with one?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:59 am

I have it, it has the booklet. This link has already been posted for you, don't you SEE the booklet?

http://shop.elvis.com.au/prod86.htm#sth ... N5IAW.dpbs

Or are you just looking for attention?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:09 am

skatterbrane wrote:I have it, it has the booklet. This link has already been posted for you, don't you SEE the booklet?

http://shop.elvis.com.au/prod86.htm#sth ... N5IAW.dpbs

Or are you just looking for attention?

Yes I see it, my mistake, I thought I had read the poster above me state it doesn't have one.