Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Where to Start

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:18 am

poormadpeter wrote:
jdw89 wrote:I vote someone should order me the 50's set. ::rocks :lol:

I also found this reviews for the King of Rock N Roll set:

The music is timeless, of course, and this set delivers the goods. As historic as these performances are, you'd think there would be an information booklet included with the set, as there was with the 1992 set and, indeed, just about every CD set on the market. Nope! Keep that in mind when deciding which set to order, this more recent slipcase version or the older box. As far as I can tell from the reviews, the mastering and sonic quality are the same. Incidentally, used copies of the 1992 booklet are available on the Amazon site for extra $$.

The recent release of the 50s masters does have a booklet. I'm not quite sure what version this guy has (never heard of a slipcase edition), but it's clearly not the most recent one which is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Rock-Roll-Complete-Masters/dp/B008VI0A2G/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389145780&sr=1-2&keywords=elvis+king+of+rock+n+roll

I know what he must be talking about there was in fact a slip case version of the 50s box at one time, that is without the book because I have it! The back of the slipcase says it came out in 2000 (I also have the regular boxset w. the nice booklet as well)

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi guys been awhile I think I am going to go with the Legacy editions.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 pm

jdw89 wrote:Hi guys been awhile I think I am going to go with the Legacy editions.

Does your uncle have them?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:20 am

I don't think he owns any Elvis. My grandpa has a few

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:22 am

jdw89 wrote:I don't think he owns any Elvis. My grandpa has a few

Maybe grandpa can lend you his Legacy CDs.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nah he doesn't have any legacy ones, he has some of the compilations you can get at Wal-Mart.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:02 am

jdw89 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nah he doesn't have any legacy ones, he has some of the compilations you can get at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart is a great place to shop for Elvis CDs.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jdw89 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yeah but they don't carry the Legacy editions do they?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:31 am

jdw89 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jdw89 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yeah actually they do, Last time I was there they had From Elvis In Memphis, On Stage, Elvis Is Back, and Elvis Presley Lp Legacy Editions!

I would just swing by your local Walmart and pick a few up that you are interested in, because they all are superb.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:17 am

jdw89 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jdw89 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Wal-Mart has got it all. It's the best.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:56 am

Went to 2 Walmart's today and neither had any, bummer. Are the legacy editions better than the 50's 60's and 70's sets though? They do look nice from what I can tell, is there a lot of inside info in the booklets? And are they going to reissue most or all of his catalog this way eventually?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:16 am

jdw89 wrote:Went to 2 Walmart's today and neither had any, bummer. Are the legacy editions better than the 50's 60's and 70's sets though? They do look nice from what I can tell, is there a lot of inside info in the booklets? And are they going to reissue most or all of his catalog this way eventually?

Buy every Legacy package you can, and then also get the box sets.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:17 am

They've already reissues most of his catalog. We have the FTD's coming out constantly, the Legacy Editions, etc etc. I have the Legacy Editions and the 50's 60's and 70's sets, its just up to you. I only bought them because for the price and the packaging you can't beat it. Just start somewhere you can't go wrong man go ahead and buy off Amazon.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks guys. What type of information will I learn in the booklets?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:39 am

jdw89 wrote:Thanks guys. What type of information will I learn in the booklets?

http://photos.elvispresleymusic.com.au/ ... klet_2.jpg

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Holy cats! Go online and order them! I can't believe you are still milking this. I suspect you are more interested in talking about it than doing it. Hey, make sure to post on Facebook your purchasing experience. Maybe you can also make a Youtube video of your opening the packages and reading the booklets. Indecision, the hallmark of the current generation.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Sorry I dont have tons of money so I am just trying to make sure I am spending it wisely

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:48 am

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-From-Anoth ... her+planet
http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Recorded-Ma ... pd_sim_m_5

Do these both contain the same concerts? I know the biggest difference would be price and one has a DVD.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:21 am

jdw89 wrote:hey where should i start out with Elvis cds? i dont own any of his yet

Elvis `56. Best sound, best material, best, best, best IMHO

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:32 am

jdw89 wrote:Sorry I dont have tons of money so I am just trying to make sure I am spending it wisely

Precisely how much money are you planning on spending on Elvis music? :smt023

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 am

Matthew wrote:
jdw89 wrote:Sorry I dont have tons of money so I am just trying to make sure I am spending it wisely

Precisely how much money are you planning on spending on Elvis music? :smt023

He said earlier, One Hundred Dollars. And I'm almost sure every suggestion that would be good for a new fan has been mentioned. But maybe not....

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 am

memphisound wrote:He said earlier, One Hundred Dollars. And I'm almost sure every suggestion that would be good for a new fan has been mentioned. But maybe not....

I don't think you can buy much with Monopoly money, but still - the guy has all the Elvis music he needs already.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:59 am

$100 is quite a bit to spend on Elvis stuff in my opinion. I could get the majority of the Legacy CDs with it, I am going to pick up 1 or 2 now I think and then get the rest when I get my tax return after I preview some of them.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:07 pm

jdw89 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Prince-From-Another-Planet-Deluxe/dp/B008QZ9E6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390196844&sr=8-1&keywords=elvis+presley+prince+from+another+planet
http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Recorded-Ma ... pd_sim_m_5

Do these both contain the same concerts? I know the biggest difference would be price and one has a DVD.

FYI - your second link is for the vinyl.

To answer your question, the PFAP box set features the afternoon & evening June 10th 1972 Madision Square Garden concerts, completely remixed & remastered from the multi-track tapes. It includes a DVD with a documentary and fan-shot live concert footage. Highly recommended.

The regular Legacy Edition of MSG includes the original mix of the album on Disc 1, which was the evening show, plus the afternoon show on Disc 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Recorded-Ma ... are+garden).

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:05 pm

jdw89 wrote:Thanks guys. What type of information will I learn in the booklets?

You will learn about the music that is pressed on the CDs.

Matthew wrote:
memphisound wrote:He said earlier, One Hundred Dollars. And I'm almost sure every suggestion that would be good for a new fan has been mentioned. But maybe not....

I don't think you can buy much with Monopoly money, but still - the guy has all the Elvis music he needs already.

Plus, he has an uncle who gets all kinds of great Elvis CDs at Wal-Mart.