Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Where to Start

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:58 pm

hey where should i start out with Elvis cds? i dont own any of his yet

Re: Where to Start

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:07 am

Don't waste time with greatest hits compilations.

Go to the meat of the matter
Elvis At Sun
Elvis Presley-Legacy Edition
Elvis Golden Records Expanded
King Creole Expanded
Elvis Is Back-Legacy Edition
Elvis Golden Records Vol 3 Expanded
Tomorrow Is A Long Time
From Elvis In Memphis Legacy Edition
Elvis Country Legacy Edition
On Stage Legacy Edition
Promised Land Expanded

It is a lot more fun than buying box sets or compilations (Golden Records series excepted)

Some would advise to go with career spanning box sets as samplers to get your feet wet. I say go to the core and dive right in. You can buy box sets later if you want.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:08 am

Hello and welcome to the board :)
It depends if you want to buy compilations or original albums. I would go for the latter. :wink:
I think you should get the best albums first:
- Elvis Presley
- Elvis
- Elvis Golden Records
- Elvis Golden Records vol. 2
- Elvis Golden Records vol. 3
- Elvis is Back
- NBC TV Special
- From Elvis in Memphis/Back In Memphis
- In Person
- On Stage
- That's The Way It Is
- Elvis Country

If you want to go deeply into Elvis legacy from the very start I suggest you should start buying original albums or concert recordings on the FTD collector's label.
You will be able to hear an artist working on his art in the recording studio (studio outtakes) or entertaining the crowd in live concerts. :wink:
You will not get this material on normal releases that why it is collectors label.
Last edited by Greg1995 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:10 am

Ha if you consider what the Legacy titles have as 2nd discs your list and my list are very similar!

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:11 am

skatterbrane wrote:Ha if you consider what the Legacy titles have as 2nd discs your list and my list are very similar!

You're right. I just wanted to name the albums. :wink:
Cause "Love Letters From Elvis" on the 2nd disc of "Elvis Country" Legacy release isn't a great album, is it? :D

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:17 am

Nope, it isn't and it was the first album since his comeback that made me say "WTF?" but for the price of the Elvis Country Legacy, it is nice to get a 3 or 4 more decent songs.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:21 am

I would get this set first:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Cl ... m+classics

JEFF d
EP fan

The question to ask you first is what appeals to you most of all from what you've heard so far? Do you have any specific favourites? Does one element of Elvis' work stand out over the others?

Great starting list, skatterbrane.

The only stuff missing would be the DVD s of the comeback special and the movie jailhouse rock.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:22 am

Or better this :D

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-20-Original ... B008B11RLQ

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:24 am

JEFF d wrote:I would get this set first:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Cl ... m+classics

JEFF d
EP fan

Yes, that is a very good place to start. At least you get the core of Golden Records series plus bonus tracks. I am waiting for someone to suggest the Elvis 75, Good Rockin' Tonight box, and some always do. The problem is then if you go back an buy original titles, you have way too much overlap and redundancy.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:28 am

DarrylMac wrote:The question to ask you first is what appeals to you most of all from what you've heard so far? Do you have any specific favourites? Does one element of Elvis' work stand out over the others?

we should also ask jdw89 just how much money is willing to spend! It can get pretty deep in the Presley world! lol

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:31 am

jdw89 wrote:hey where should i start out with Elvis cds? i dont own any of his yet

You've signed on to to this forum owning not a single Elvis Presley CD? That's pretty amazing. Really amazing.

Anyway, being so bereft of the music made in such a long, varied and wonderful career, this is the collection you must get first:

Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight (Sony Legacy, December 8, 2009)

This is about as close to perfection for a "newbie box" as possible, a very well-done, career-spanning 4xCD collection.

It includes insightful, cogent liner notes, and you can get it for under $40:
http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-75-Good-Rockin-Tonight-Presley/dp/B002QVBP6O

Here's a kick-ass review of the above set, in case you remain unsure:
Robert Hilburn --> 'Elvis 75' Showcases King's Artistry
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50096

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:34 am

See? I knew it would happen.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:50 am

I'm looking to spend no more than $100 total right now and yes it is pretty amazing I don't own anything of his on CD I know! I like pretty much everything I've heard by him to be honest.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:51 am

skatterbrane wrote:See? I knew it would happen.

<3

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:06 am

jdw89 wrote:I'm looking to spend no more than $100 total right now and yes it is pretty amazing I don't own anything of his on CD I know! I like pretty much everything I've heard by him to be honest.

If you go on Amazon, you can find any of the above mentioned titles. And if buy used, you will get excellent deals on almost any of them. Your $100 can go a LONG way.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:17 am

You should really start with the Essential Masters Box sets. Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/King-Rock-Roll-Co ... masters+50

If you get all 3, you will own most of what he recorded in the studios. Not bad at all...

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:28 am

Scarre wrote:You should really start with the Essential Masters Box sets. Like this one:

If you get all 3, you will own most of what he recorded in the studios. Not bad at all...

Yes, but these releases are old and the sound quality and mixes are rather poor comparing to the recent ones (Vic Anesini fantastic remasters)

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:00 am

Greg1995 wrote:
Scarre wrote:You should really start with the Essential Masters Box sets. Like this one:

Yes, but these releases are old and the sound quality and mixes are rather poor comparing to the recent ones (Vic Anesini fantastic remasters)

Sure, not the best ones...but really, not bad at all...Really.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:07 am

jdw89 wrote:hey where should i start out with Elvis cds? i dont own any of his yet

Elvis In Concert.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:11 am

midnightx wrote:

Elvis In Concert.

That was funny, made me laugh.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:19 am

If at some point you want more 1970s, don't judge the 1970s just by the many overdubbed, dated lifetime albums is my advice. Save your money by not buying them & instead buy A Hundred Years From Now, Rhythm & Country, The Jungle Room Sessions for starters.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:26 am

midnightx wrote:

Elvis In Concert.

How very funny. Pleeeeeeease tell as a "My Boy" joke...Please? You do know that that is what you are famous for here?

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:28 am

Scarre wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Elvis In Concert.

How very funny. Pleeeeeeease tell as a "My Boy" joke...Please? You do know that that is what you are famous for here?

My Boy is no laughing matter. It is a tremendous track.