Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis 69 3 CD Box from Gravel Road

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 am

the new “Gravel Road ‘69” set is finally out!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 am

Do you have it?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:05 am

I got email today that the set is out as of today and that the dealers should have the cd's shortly..
However i didnt buy it..

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:06 am

Johnny2523 wrote:I got email today that the set is out as of today and that the dealers should have the cd's shortly..
However i didnt buy it..

Don't feel too bad ... at least you're getting the new Straight Arrow set from August 1973, with that double-shot of "My Boy." ;-)

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:09 am

I have heard, too ..it was out now.. I am curious.. ::rocks

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:I got email today that the set is out as of today and that the dealers should have the cd's shortly..
However i didnt buy it..

Don't feel too bad ... at least you're getting the new Straight Arrow set from August 1973, with that double-shot of "My Boy." ;-)

atleast im getting 2 new shows instead of 1969 material that was already released, and for a higher price.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:05 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Don't feel too bad ... at least you're getting the new Straight Arrow set from August 1973, with that double-shot of "My Boy." ;-)

atleast im getting 2 new shows instead of 1969 material that was already released, and for a higher price.

7 pages in and you're still bagging on this label. Again, your comments indicate an agenda, or an ineptitude.

As I wrote earlier, the OP's text seems to impress upon collectors that there are unreleased studio nuggets worth having on CD1, and interesting live material on CD2 and CD3. I analyzed this live material earlier in the discussion.

Coupled with the deluxe packaging and expected high-quality audio, many hard core collectors may well want to pick up this release. The "bonus" material, if as advertised, is a nice cherry on top.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Again, your comments indicate an agenda.

Perhaps he was the man in the grassy knoll who fired the fatal shot , who was hired by Allen Dulles & Lyndon Johnson ? :shock:

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:33 pm

I caved in and bought it. It looks impressive from the outside at any rate, but has anyone managed to get it out of the box yet?

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Anybody has it already..?..Opinions please.. :smt006

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:43 pm

The Pirate wrote:I caved in and bought it. It looks impressive from the outside at any rate, but has anyone managed to get it out of the box yet?

I bet you're one of those who also caved and bought the newly released Beatles U.S. Albums box set as well.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Welll... Against my own ''gut feeling'' i just bought the release ..
atleast the art-work seems nice.. While i'm not much interested in 1969. I guess its nice to have.
I will let you all know how it is..
If i don't like it, i'll just resell it, it's as easy as that.. im really taking this release with a touch of salt.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:i'm not much interested in 1969.

Why should you be? If you've heard one show, you've heard them all.

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Rob wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:i'm not much interested in 1969.

Why should you be? If you've heard one show, you've heard them all.

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny.

They are great shows, but all so very similar in both setlists, and elvis his voice.. which is not a bad thing.. But we already got sooo much.
This is probably my last 1969 CD-set i'll buy.. unless FTD comes out with the August 3 1969 show or with the show that contained both One Night and Love Me. (And ofcoarse but i doubt it'll ever happen: Opening Night '69

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:59 pm

In all honesty I thing that the so called opening night as released by Ft Baxter and later by Gravelroad is the best show from 1969..it is magic pure..I love this show from start to finish..and I am almost sure that we get a FTD treatment of this brilliant concert...

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Ciscoking wrote:In all honesty I thing that the so called opening night as released by Ft Baxter and later by Gravelroad is the best show from 1969..it is magic pure..I love this show from start to finish..and I am almost sure that we get a FTD treatment of this brilliant concert...

The same counts for me, i love how that show is different to the later shows..
Thats why it's one i will buy when FTD releases it :)

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:23 pm

I was doing a bit research about the so called "opening night" tape and while doing this I,listened to the show carefully..I was stunned...really..that is a master piece....no more and no less..he was THAT good..unbelievable... ::rocks

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I was doing a bit research about the so called "opening night" tape and while doing this I,listened to the show carefully..I was stunned...really..that is a master piece....no more and no less..he was THAT good..unbelievable... ::rocks

Does your research indicate:

- if 8-03-1969 DS is accurate?
- exact source of the recording?

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I was doing a bit research about the so called "opening night" tape and while doing this I,listened to the show carefully..I was stunned...really..that is a master piece....no more and no less..he was THAT good..unbelievable... ::rocks

Does your research indicate:

Finding the original date seems impossible as long as we don`t have a matching audience recording.
The original tape is lying in the vaults without any date. I found that Felton Jarvis recorded the concert to show Elvis how a live album could look like..its a simple SB recording...the multi-track machines weren`t set up at this time..

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:52 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
The Pirate wrote:I caved in and bought it. It looks impressive from the outside at any rate, but has anyone managed to get it out of the box yet?

I bet you're one of those who also caved and bought the newly released Beatles U.S. Albums box set as well.

That was never in question, I ordered that as soon as it was announced. The Elvis '69 box was a different matter. I deleted the email with all the information about how to order it, and that would have been that if I hadn't had second thoughts after reading some of the comments on here.

The problem with it is, the slip case appears to have been manufactured without taking into account the thickness of the additional photo album. So it all fits in very snugly, and in the end the only way to remove everything was to shake it all quite violently. It took me a good ten minutes before there was any movement because I daren't start pulling at the cardboard in case it damaged something. I've played disc one so far. The sound quality is as good as I'd hoped, although I have to be honest and say that I have so many different releases of the studio material - official and unofficial - that I have no idea what if any of this stuff is previously unreleased. But all that applied before I bought it, so that's fine with me. It was my choice.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:38 am

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Does your research indicate:

Finding the original date seems impossible as long as we don`t have a matching audience recording.
The original tape is lying in the vaults without any date. I found that Felton Jarvis recorded the concert to show Elvis how a live album could look like..its a simple SB recording...the multi-track machines weren`t set up at this time..

There is documentation that Felton recorded this early show from the soundboard?

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Does your research indicate:

There is documentation that Felton recorded this early show from the soundboard?

I got info from men who should know it. Perhaps they know it from paper work. I didn`t ask. I take these infos for granted.

BTW...I got info the box is out and will be delivered out today....

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:31 am

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Finding the original date seems impossible as long as we don`t have a matching audience recording.

I got info from men who should know it. Perhaps they know it from paper work. I didn`t ask. I take these infos for granted.

BTW...I got info the box is out and will be delivered out today....

With all due respect, that's not a verifiable bit of research. You need to see the documentation, determine it is legitimate, and then evaluate what it is telling you.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:17 pm

John...I am still researching ..I have just started.
When I have more infos..you are the first who
gets to know it.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:18 pm

John...I am still researching ..I have just started.
When I have more infos..you are the first who
gets to know it.