Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis 69 3 CD Box from Gravel Road

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:56 am

The Pirate wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I've never heard of "Susie-Q" being done at American Sound in January 1969, supposedly Elvis did try it out during rehearsals at the International in late July. However, I am intrigued by the idea of hearing even a bit of Presley hero and major influence Roy Hamilton singing in the Memphis studio while Elvis sits in the booth with producer Chips Moman and watches.

Is this what it's come to? We're now getting excited over the prospect of listening to material recorded while Elvis was listening from another room?

Yes it is. If you want to be considered a deep Presley fan.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:01 am

Mister Mike wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I've never heard of "Susie-Q" being done at American Sound in January 1969, supposedly Elvis did try it out during rehearsals at the International in late July. However, I am intrigued by the idea of hearing even a bit of Presley hero and major influence Roy Hamilton singing in the Memphis studio while Elvis sits in the booth with producer Chips Moman and watches.

Is this what it's come to? We're now getting excited over the prospect of listening to material recorded while Elvis was listening from another room?

The idea of hearing Roy Hamilton is very appealing.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

That would be terrific.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:20 am

Think I'll have to wait and see what price I can get this for before deciding.Looks like a well presented package.

norrie

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tornado wrote:With the Elvis At American Sound Studio, I'm done and complete with the 1969 Memphis session. Long live FTD! I know that true love travels on Gravel Road, but I'll Follow That Dream instead.

But without love, there is nothing.

There goes my everything then ;-)))

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

I'm not knocking anyone that wants to listen to an unheard Roy Hamilton recording, but don't put it out as an Elvis bootleg and ask £50 for it.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:28 am

The Pirate wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The idea of hearing Roy Hamilton is very appealing.

I'm not knocking anyone that wants to listen to an unheard Roy Hamilton recording, but don't put it out as an Elvis bootleg and ask £50 for it.

It's not being presented that way, it's referred to by the OP as a "Bonus." So what is your argument?

Bonus track (20+ minutes) 20. Band Rehearsal and a first attempt of “Come Out, Come Out (Wherever you are)” at American Sound studios (Roy Hamilton can be heard here) January, 1969.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

It's not being presented that way, it's referred to by the OP as a "Bonus." So what is your argument?

Bonus track (20+ minutes) 20. Band Rehearsal and a first attempt of “Come Out, Come Out (Wherever you are)” at American Sound studios (Roy Hamilton can be heard here) January, 1969.

It's a 'bonus' which in reality is being presented as the main feature. The rest of the set consists of material which is only marginally different to what we already have. If it hadn't been for the discussions here it's likely that some people would have read the adverts and bought this set in the belief that they were going to hear a new Elvis recording.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:11 am

The Pirate wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

It's a 'bonus' which in reality is being presented as the main feature.

No, it's not.

Our discussion of it on this topic does not make it a "main feature." The OP's text seems to impress upon collectors that there are unreleased studio nuggets worth having on CD1, and interesting live material on CDs 2 and 3. I analyzed this live material earlier in the discussion. Coupled with the deluxe packaging and expected high-quality audio, many hard core collectors may well want to pick up this release. The "bonus" material, if as advertised, is a nice cherry on top.

So your complaint is not legitimate about the "bonus" material being presented as paramount.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

If that's the case, then I would suggest purchasing a Roy Hamilton "Greatest Hits" compilation CD...you'll get a lot more bang for your buck, and not be disappointed. :wink:

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: The OP's text seems to impress upon collectors that there are unreleased studio nuggets worth having on CD1, and interesting live material on CDs 2 and 3.

Just how much is unreleased, and how interesting the rest is, is what this rests on. Looking at the track list I would say "almost none, and not very", and seeing as the label is being very cagey about what exactly might be new, then I believe it'll all come down to this 20+ minute tape being the main draw for a lot of buyers.

I'm not denying the packaging looks good, but again, is this what it's come to now? If someone is a collector solely because of the presentation, then maybe it's time to start collecting another artist.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
My goodness, such anger.

Having a personal axe to grind tells us more about you than the product. Hope you feel better soon.

I will have to quote you on this the next time an MRS or Boxcar product gets released.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:15 pm

It's OBVIOUS Venus and Gravel Road have basically RUN OUT OF NEW MATERIAL~! 8)

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Damn them! How could they do this to us? How in the hell could they possibly run out of new material?

Elvis is recording new material all the time!

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:13 pm

The Pirate wrote:I'm not denying the packaging looks good, but again, is this what it's come to now?

It's the smell of the package. I tell you , it's always the freakin' smell.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Bob George wrote:
YDKM wrote:It's OBVIOUS Venus and Gravel Road have basically RUN OUT OF NEW MATERIAL~! 8)

GRM runs out of new material? Did they ever released new material what was worth to buy?

Do you play the dumb card for fun, and is that just who you are, "3577," uh, "nevermind," uh, "Bob George"?

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Rob wrote:Damn them! How could they do this to us? How in the hell could they possibly run out of new material?

Exactly. It's 2013, and unless the upper echelon of collectors lets something slip to us peons, we need to enjoy what we can.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:Damn them! How could they do this to us? How in the hell could they possibly run out of new material?

Exactly. It's 2013, and unless the upper echelon of collectors lets something slip to us peons, we need to enjoy what we can.

Spot on Doc I agree 100% but also why should be have to be bothered with money grabbers out to make a fast buck on material that's previously released by superior labels i.e FTD Sony and dare I say Venus.
Although lets not forget the extra bonus that we will be treated too!
All there in the bullish hype trying to fool people into buying it. 20+ minutes, that makes it a must! As on the Unsurpassed Masters CD 15 this instrumental try-outs of “Come Out, Come Out (Wherever You Are) (Track Only)” as it only runs for a mere 32:13 minutes or should I post 30+ minutes, so as a bonus from Gravel you will be treated to an edited version of what’s already out there, Elvis’ band playing music? A real must considering you can get a more complete version elsewhere! It really does make perfect sense.
Not to take away the beautiful artwork, but that it not the soul reason for buying a 3 CD set of music is it?
So dig out your old Unsurpassed Masters and listen to it in good sound and more complete if this is what you are really wanting to hear as Gravel thinks we are, in an edited form at least.
Although this way you can save your hard earned cash for something just a little more worthy of your green back..

Surprised actually you never pointed out the running times on Gravel and its first outing on Unsurpassed Masters, but as it appears you are very much in favour of this release. also the most interesting part, that may interest anyone is TRACK 11 - instrumental #2 (where you hear "Love, .. Love Is Strange, etc… a little impromptu snippet) Oh before you get excited no its not Elvis..

Doc your thoughts as I know your going to jibe your ass about something just remember if I have spelt anything incorrectly do point it out, once you have counted this post, but please, please don’t go changing any correctly spelt words wink, wink old mucker.
PS Doc just for you a description of Mucker before you go changing letters

mucker
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search
Contents
[hide]
• 1 English
o 1.1 Pronunciation
o 1.2 Noun
 1.2.1 Usage notes
o 1.3 Verb
English[edit]
Pronunciation[edit]
• Rhymes: -ʌkə(r)
Noun[edit]
mucker (plural muckers)
1. (UK, slang, southern) friend
Fancy a pint, me old mucker?
2. (slang, Northern Ireland) friend or acquaintance
How's about ye mucker? = How are you?
3. A person who removes muck (waste, debris, broken rock, etc.), especially from a mine, construction site, or stable.
4. (archaic, derogatory) A low or vulgar labourer.
Usage notes[edit]
• Mucker, in the friendly senses, is used almost exclusively by a man to another man.
Verb[edit]
mucker (third-person singular simple present muckers, present participle muckering, simple past and past participle muckered)
1. (obsolete, transitive) To scrape together (money, etc.) by mean labour or shifts.
(Can we find and add a quotation of Udall to this entry?)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:22 am

andyj wrote:Spot on Doc I agree 100% but also ...

Only 560 words this time around. You're slipping. ;-)

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

I'm thinking that someone's getting a free box-set here!
Anyone thinking the same?

Cheers
Piers

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 pm

andyj wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Spot on Doc I agree 100% but also why should be have to be bothered with money grabbers out to make a fast buck on material that's previously released by superior labels i.e FTD Sony and dare I say Venus.
Although lets not forget the extra bonus that we will be treated too!
All there in the bullish hype trying to fool people into buying it. 20+ minutes, that makes it a must! As on the Unsurpassed Masters CD 15 this instrumental try-outs of “Come Out, Come Out (Wherever You Are) (Track Only)” as it only runs for a mere 32:13 minutes or should I post 30+ minutes, so as a bonus from Gravel you will be treated to an edited version of what’s already out there, Elvis’ band playing music? A real must considering you can get a more complete version elsewhere! It really does make perfect sense.
Not to take away the beautiful artwork, but that it not the soul reason for buying a 3 CD set of music is it?
So dig out your old Unsurpassed Masters and listen to it in good sound and more complete if this is what you are really wanting to hear as Gravel thinks we are, in an edited form at least.
Although this way you can save your hard earned cash for something just a little more worthy of your green back..

Surprised actually you never pointed out the running times on Gravel and its first outing on Unsurpassed Masters, but as it appears you are very much in favour of this release. also the most interesting part, that may interest anyone is TRACK 11 - instrumental #2 (where you hear "Love, .. Love Is Strange, etc… a little impromptu snippet) Oh before you get excited no its not Elvis..

Doc your thoughts as I know your going to jibe your ass about something just remember if I have spelt anything incorrectly do point it out, once you have counted this post, but please, please don’t go changing any correctly spelt words wink, wink old mucker.
PS Doc just for you a description of Mucker before you go changing letters

mucker
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search
Contents
[hide]
• 1 English
o 1.1 Pronunciation
o 1.2 Noun
 1.2.1 Usage notes
o 1.3 Verb
English[edit]
Pronunciation[edit]
• Rhymes: -ʌkə(r)
Noun[edit]
mucker (plural muckers)
1. (UK, slang, southern) friend
Fancy a pint, me old mucker?
2. (slang, Northern Ireland) friend or acquaintance
How's about ye mucker? = How are you?
3. A person who removes muck (waste, debris, broken rock, etc.), especially from a mine, construction site, or stable.
4. (archaic, derogatory) A low or vulgar labourer.
Usage notes[edit]
• Mucker, in the friendly senses, is used almost exclusively by a man to another man.
Verb[edit]
mucker (third-person singular simple present muckers, present participle muckering, simple past and past participle muckered)
1. (obsolete, transitive) To scrape together (money, etc.) by mean labour or shifts.
(Can we find and add a quotation of Udall to this entry?)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.

I wish I could but can't find it anymore... :shock: :cry:

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:29 am

PiersEIN wrote:I'm thinking that someone's getting a free box-set here!

No need to brag.

Heaven knows you've probably got more "promos" from both official and unofficial sources than anyone on this forum.

Do let us know how much you enjoy this upcoming Gravelroads release, and -- please -- post on-topic next time. ;-)

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:I'm thinking that someone's getting a free box-set here!

No need to brag.

Heaven knows you've probably got more "promos" from both official and unofficial sources than anyone on this forum.

Do let us know how much you enjoy this upcoming Gravelroads release, and -- please -- post on-topic next time. ;-)

Oh Doc such a joker, the soul solider of this gravel release, I can see a lot of FREE copies flying around, as he tries to get shot of them. lol
as you say Doc very appealing to hear Roy Hamilton why wait spin your unsurpassed Master, if it is him.

also I see your still counting my words do you know how pathetic you are making yourself look. Its been said by many, to many to count - you need to get over yourself and get a life..
Try opening a window look outside you never know what you'll find, I know your driveway if you can call it that, don't look up to much but I am sure from the other side of your house you have a reasonable view, I must look it out again and do an aerial view as opposed to a google street view.
and you never know I may understand you a bit better if it looks like a miserable place to live.
especially if you don't get out much..

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:12 pm

http://elvisnews.com/news.aspx/grm-message/14366

GRM Message

We received this message from Gravel Road Music regarding their 1969 Box:

Our upcoming release of the ELVIS 1969 Box Set and bonus Photo Folio requires several parties to be involved for the finest possible production. Unfortunately, the first prints we received were simply below our standards, so we are choosing to scrap them and start again.

For that reason the ELVIS 1969 Box Set will be out during the first week of 2014. As always with Gravelroad Music, the fans will get nothing but the best when it comes to Elvis. Stay tuned!

Updated: Dec 21, 2013

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:42 pm

nothing to do with the fact no one wants this.. is this going the way of "For God And Country" delay after delay until everyone forgets it was even mentioned, - but you got to love the bull "As always with Gravelroad Music, the fans will get nothing but the best when it comes to Elvis. Stay tuned!" - JUST NOTHING UNRELEASED WORTH TALKING ABOUT..

When it comes to nothing but the best when it comes to Elvis - Gravel is not one that springs to the top of my mind lol

Happy Christmas Gravel