Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis 69 3 CD Box from Gravel Road

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Found this update on ElvisNews:

Gravel Road Music will release a 3CD box soon, with 1969 as subject, this is their press-release:

This release is intended to be a flawless release with the best sounding Elvis of 1969.
We started by going back to the basic recordings of the American sound studio; the edited repaired master tracks without the dubbing done later in Nashville.

Elvis himself wasn’t all that thrilled with some of the overdubs.
It’s been said that he was very happy with the sound on the acetates that he took home with him, but less so with the final masters.

Elvis heard the dubbed masters at a very late stage and very little could be done.

As an artist, you can’t always be in complete control of your output, and clearly especially when your name is Elvis Presley.

These original master tracks were the result of the joint vision of producer Chips Moman, the musicians and Elvis.

The two most famous songs from these sessions are without a doubt “Suspicious Minds” and “In The Ghetto”. In fact, they may well be the best-known recordings of his entire career. Just ask anyone to name two Elvis songs…

On disc 2 you will find the multi-track live recording of the August 24, 1969 Midnight Show. Thanks to existing tape legends, paperwork and research and the fantastic unprocessed soundboard recording of the same show, we were able to piece this show together as it was originally recorded. We double-checked and compared the whole show second for second with an audience recording of the show that we had recently acquired. There are only three songs borrowed from the dinner show: “I Can’t Stop Loving You”, “Runaway” and “ What’d I Say”, which are 98% identical to the midnight show versions. We used the career dialogue from the August 24, 1969 dinner show. We don’t have this in multi-track quality and therefore we decided to include a third disc with the original raw unrepaired soundboard. As extra bonus, we used a very rare tape of a rehearsal from January 1969 at the American Sound Studios, where we can even hear a glimpse of Roy Hamilton singing!

The combination package “Elvis In Person & Back in Memphis” was the basic concept, but we wanted more. During the first days of the comeback in Las Vegas in 1969, special RCA presentation box sets were given away. These box sets are very rare and expensive to get hold of. This was the perfect 1969 package idea for this release.

INCLUDED ARE:

- A 28 page full color /b&w photo folio with 28 photos of Elvis in the style of 1969 including rare or unpublished photos.
- A 32 page full color booklet with original articles,
- An interview with Elvis from 1969, co-workers and musicians about recording at the American Sound Studios and performing in Las Vegas.
- Over 60+ photos of Elvis on stage (many from the same show), various are rare or unpublished
- 15 incredible photos of The American Sound Studio with Elvis, again some are rare or unpublished!!
- Previously unreleased versions.
- A rare studio rehearsal of January 1969.
- The unaltered raw audio of the August 24, 1969 M/S soundboard.
- The reproduction slipcase of the famous 1969 presentation box set.
- All recordings in excellent sound quality.

We hope you’ll agree we did our best to respect and honour the original artistic ideas from 1969.

DISC ONE In Memphis Undubbed Repaired Masters

01. Wearin' That Loved On Look 02. Only The Strong Survive 03. I'll Hold You In My Heart 04. Long Black Limousine 05. It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin' 06. I'm Movin' On 07. Power Of My Love 08. Gentle On My Mind 09. After Loving You 10. True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 11. Any Day Now 12. In The Ghetto 13. Inherit The Wind 14. This Is The Story 15. Stranger In My Own Home Town 16. A Little Bit Of Green 17. And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind 18. Do You Know Who I Am? 19. From A Jack To A King 20. The Fair's Moving On 21. You'll Think Of Me 22. Without Love (There Is Nothing) 23. Suspicious Minds.

Tracks 1-12 were in fully dubbed versions released on “From Elvis In Memphis”. These were the only songs besides the single “Suspicious Minds” intended for release of the magnificent studio recordings at the American Sound Studios.
The tremendous enthusiasm provoked using the remaining recordings as well. It was proven right - it sold multi platinum.

Tracks 13 -22 were fully dubbed versions released on “Back In Memphis” which was also released as a double release with Elvis In Person as, “From Memphis to Vegas - From Vegas to Memphis”. Track 23 was released as single and not added to either of the two studio albums. An extended live version was released on “Elvis In Person”. Note: This disc includes some previously unreleased versions.

DISC TWO In Person Live “On Stage” Multi -Track

01. Opening 02. Blue Suede Shoes 03. I Got A Woman 04. All Shook Up 05. Love Me Tender 06. Medley : Jailhouse Rock – Don’t Be Cruel 07. Heartbreak Hotel 08. Hound Dog 09. I Can’t Stop Loving You* 10. Johnny B. Goode 11. Monologue* (Life Story) 12. Baby What You Want Me To Do 13. Runaway* 14. Are You Lonesome Tonight ? 15. Words 16. Yesterday (with “Hey Jude” Ending) 17. Band Introductions 18. In The Ghetto 19. Suspicious Minds 20. What’d I Say* 21. Can’t Help Falling In Love / Outro

Disc two contains the multi track live recording of August 24, 1969 Midnight Show. The Multi track recording has been repaired with segments of the August 24, 1969 Dinner Show. Tracks marked with * are taken from the Dinner Show.

DISC THREE Raw Audio Unedited Soundboard & Studio Rehearsal

01. Opening 02. Blue Suede Shoes 03. I Got A Woman 04. All Shook Up 05. Love Me Tender 06. Medley : Jailhouse Rock – Don’t Be Cruel 07. Heartbreak Hotel 08. Hound Dog 09. I Can’t Stop Loving You 10. Johnny B. Goode 11. Monologue (Life Story) 12. Baby What You Want Me To Do 13. Runaway 14. Are You Lonesome Tonight ? 15. Words 16. Yesterday (with “Hey Jude” Ending) 17. Band Introductions 18. In The Ghetto 19. Suspicious Minds (Partially).

Bonus track (20+ minutes) 20. Band Rehearsal and a first attempt of “Come Out, Come Out (Wherever you are)” at American Sound studios (Roy Hamilton can be heard here) January, 1969.

Disc three contains the raw unprocessed soundboard recording of the August 24, 1969 M/S, without effects. A significantly different August 24, Midnight Show when compared to the fragmented release over the years of the multi track recording. Edited due to improper language use or running times. Also segments of this show were used to repair or enhance other 1969 and 1970 multi track recordings. This is the real deal, uncut, raw and finally, no tons of reverb as on previous releases of this remarkable show.

Re: Elvis 69 3 CD Box from Gravel Road

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

K.C. wrote:Elvis himself wasn’t all that thrilled with some of the overdubs.
It’s been said that he was very happy with the sound on the acetates that he took home with him, but less so with the final masters.

Elvis heard the dubbed masters at a very late stage and very little could be done.

As an artist, you can’t always be in complete control of your output, and clearly especially when your name is Elvis Presley.

Where is it documented that "Elvis himself wasn't all that thrilled with some of the overdubs" in relation to the 1969 Memphis masters.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Checking Keith Flynn's site tells me that most of the August 24 MS has been released in multi track, mostly on Writing For The King but also EAP and Platinum. What's the point of releasing this show?

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:31 pm

you will find the multi-track live recording of the August 24, 1969 Midnight Show. Thanks to existing tape legends, paperwork and research and the fantastic unprocessed soundboard recording of the same show, we were able to piece this show together as it was originally recorded. We double-checked and compared the whole show second for second with an audience recording of the show that we had recently acquired.

So it's a multi-track that is not even a multi-track???.. im lost
Or a multi track (Most likely stolen from the Official Sources) combined with a soundboard to make it appear complete??
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:32 pm

This is another lame attempt at fishing more money off of fans during the holidays. All of the material has been previously released in one form or another. I'll skip this crappity outing for now.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:43 pm

We have Drowned in Sound, so we need this because.....?????

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:45 pm

WMarkJ wrote:We have Drowned in Sound, so we need this because.....?????

Because they want u to pay most likely 60 or 70 dollars for a boxset with previously released material just because it looks good.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:50 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:

Because they want u to pay most likely 60 or 70 dollars for a boxset with previously released material just because it looks good.

Don't forget the smell.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:55 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Don't forget the smell.

nothing smells better than the smell of gravel's crap in the morning :D

joking aside..
Those so called soundboard upgrades hardly sounded any better then the old ones.
The only cd's gravelroad did right with are the 1970 rehearsals.. but that's it for me..

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:07 am

$$$$$$$$$$$$ once again for the holidays. Great marketing!

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:09 am

I'm sure it would be a very beautiful release! but i will pass on this one because there is not any new material. If they would only include 1 cd of the 3 cds with new staff I'm sure i would buy it.

::rocks

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:28 am

Some thoughts.

SOUNDBOARD SOURCE
The soundboard tape of 8-24-1969 MS (Here I Go Again being the first release) runs out after "Yesterday" / "Hey Jude." The producers of this import (and the copies after) use at least two different 1969 shows to fill in the last 4 cuts: the in-line recording from 8-03-1969 DS (first heard on Opening Night 1969) takes care of half of "Suspicious Minds," and all of "What'd I Say" and "Can't Help Falling In Love." To be exact, their edit on "Suspicious Minds" comes at 3:06, and matches the 8-03 DS the rest of the way. The performance of "In The Ghetto," the first 3:06 of "Suspicious Minds" (and the introductions) that are heard on Here I Go Again may be from the mysterious 8-23-1969 DS, although others claim the 8-22-1969 MS is the source. Finally, Here I Go Again runs too slow, while Opening Night 1969 is more or less at proper pitch.

MULTI-TRACK SOURCE
These have almost all been issued officially:
Blue Suede Shoes - Writing For The King (FTD)
I Got A Woman - Writing For The King (FTD)
All Shook Up - Writing For The King (FTD)
Love Me Tender - Writing For The King (FTD)
Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel - Writing For The King (FTD)
Heartbreak Hotel - Writing For The King (FTD)
Hound Dog - Writing For The King (FTD)
I Can't Stop Loving You
Johnny B. Goode - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Monologue
Baby What You Want Me To Do - Platinum (RCA)
Runaway
Are You Lonesome To-night? - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Words - Platinum (RCA)
Yesterday / Hey Jude - Writing For The King (FTD)
Introductions
In The Ghetto - Elvis Aron Presley (RCA)
Suspicious Minds - Writing For The King (FTD)
What'd I Say
Can't Help Falling In Love - Writing For The King (FTD)

GRAVELROAD
- multi-tracks all together, filling in the missing items from the 8-24-1969 DS multi-track
- soundboard source restored and offered without any added tracks from other shows
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:32 am

GRAVELROAD
- multi-tracks all together, filling in the missing items from the 8-24-1969 DS multi-track
- soundboard source restored and offered without any added tracks from other shows

8-24-1969 DS was Already released on the ''Live In Las Vegas''set.
meaning if we put the ''Writing For The King'' album and ''Live In Las Vegas CD 1'' together. we have the same result.
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:33 am

Elvis 69. . . How many of the photos on the covers are from 1969? (1 out of 5?). Yeah I know the original 69 albums apart from Back In Memphis ? (From Elvis In Memphis / Vegas To Memphis - Memphis To Vegas & In Person) all had 1968 photos on the covers but surely a "new" 69 album should have a more relevant photo.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:36 am

Johnny2523 wrote:nothing smells better than the smell of gravel's crap in the morning :D

joking aside..
Those so called soundboard upgrades hardly sounded any better then the old ones.
The only cd's gravelroad did right with are the 1970 rehearsals.. but that's it for me.

The Gravelroad reissue of 8-03-1969 DS (The Return of a Prodigy) was a MAJOR upgrade, as was the 7-15-1970 MGM rehearsal (Get Down And Dirty), which also included unreleased material. Their 1971 soundboard reissues this year have also received high marks from collectors.

So your crude comments indicate an agenda, or an ineptitude. Which is it?

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:nothing smells better than the smell of gravel's crap in the morning :D

joking aside..
The only cd's gravelroad did right with are the 1970 rehearsals.. but that's it for me.

The Gravelroad reissue of 8-03-1969 DS (The Return of a Prodigy) was a MAJOR upgrade, as was the 7-15-1970 MGM rehearsal (Get Down And Dirty), which also included unreleased material. Their 1971 soundboard reissues this year have also received high marks from collectors.

So your crude comments indicate an agenda, or an ineptitude. Which is it?

None of both.. it indicates an opinion.
if you read what i said ''The Only CD's Gravelroad did right with are the 1970 rehearsals''.. Get Down and Dirty is a 1970 rehearsal..
I forgot about the Return of a prodigy, 'll admit that. The 1971 Soundboards hardly sounded any better.. They might have had high marks from people who didnt had the original boots to begin with.. But they are not a Major Upgrade.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:41 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
GRAVELROAD

meaning if we put the ''Writing For The King'' album and ''Live In Las Vegas CD 1'' together. we have the same result.

Arithmetic is clearly not a strong suit.

But at least you have answered my question about whether your attacks represent an agenda or ineptitude.

As my previous post makes clear, to recompile 8-24-1969 MS, one needs to use 5 different sources, and then fill in three missing cuts. Those are apparently being done with the 8-24-1969 DS multi-track.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:43 am

Johnny2523 wrote:I forgot about the Return of a prodigy, 'll admit that.

Good thing I pointed it out, or you would never have rectified your error.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
GRAVELROAD

But at least you have answered my question about whether your attacks represent an agenda or ineptitude.

As my previous post makes clear, to recompile 8-24-1969 MS, one needs to use 5 difference sources, and then fill in three missing cuts. Those are apparently being done with the 8-24-1969 DS multi-track.

God Doc you are funny! ::rocks

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
GRAVELROAD

As my previous post makes clear, to recompile 8-24-1969 MS, one needs to use 5 difference sources, and then fill in three missing cuts. Those are apparently being done with the 8-24-1969 DS multi-track.

then again your way of communicating with people aint either.. in my opinion.
Im done with this doc.
bye bye :smt006

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:52 am

Johnny2523 wrote:then again your way of communicating with people aint either.. in my opinion.
Im done with this doc.
bye bye :smt006

Sorry if my facts on this topic got in the way of your "smell" jokes and other pot shots taken at Gravelroad.

Fair is fair. Maybe next time you can read with care, think, and then post your thoughts. That will be appreciated by all of us.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:27 am

Matthew wrote:

Where is it documented that "Elvis himself wasn't all that thrilled with some of the overdubs" in relation to the 1969 Memphis masters.

Anyone? Otherwise it reads like blatant marketing BS to me.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:31 am

Matthew wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Anyone? Otherwise it reads like blatant marketing BS to me.

I've heard it, read it, a few times over the last few decades, Matthew.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:29 am

Does anyone have a photo of the real 1969 promotional box mentioned, I don't know much about old EP promotional items and I'd love to see that.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:44 am

King Volcano wrote:Does anyone have a photo of the real 1969 promotional box mentioned, I don't know much about old EP promotional items and I'd love to see that.

only a front
http://www.popsike.com/ELVIS-PRESLEY-1969-INTERATIONAL-HOTEL-PROMO-BOX-USA/230323516083.html

ImageELVIS PRESLEY 1969 INTERNATIONAL HOTEL PROMOTIONAL BOX SET.THIS SPECIAL BOX SET WAS MADE ONLY FOR ELVIS' OPENING NIGHT ON JULY 31st 1969 AT THE LAS VAGAS HOTEL.THIS BOX SET WAS GIVEN AWAY FREE TO THE 2000 CELEBRITIES, PRESS AND FANS WHO WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO ATTEND THE CONCERT.IT IS WITHOUT DOUBT ONE OF THE RAREST ELVIS VINYL PROMOTIONAL ITEMS IN THE WORLD.THIS COPY WAS GIVEN TO A BRITISH STUNTMAN WHO WAS SEAN CONNERYS STUNT DOUBLE ON THE FIRST TWO JAMES BOND FILMS HE ALSO WORKED WITH ROBERT MITCHEM HIS FAMILY TOLD ME THAT HE WENT TO THIS SHOW WITH MITCHEM ALTHOUGH I CANNOT PROVE THIS.THE BOX HAS BEEN REPAIRED AND IS IN GOOD CONDITION IT COMES WITH TWO ELVIS VINYL RECORDS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION A COLOUR PHOTO BOOK PRINTED BY RCA RECORDS A BLACK AND WHITE BONUS PHOTOGRAH FROM THE 1968 TV SPECIAL.