Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Moody Blue and From Elvis at American Sound Studio

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:52 am

Quoting the Doc and others here at last is the complete and proper exlaination of the 1997 'platinum' 'take' and why its NOT on the 'Moody Blue FTD!~ :D
LSP-4445 wrote:Hmm maybe I`m getting old and deaf at the same time but need some help so here it goes.......
Listening to the Moody Blue FTD version now but this one doesnt have the cool
"boogie woogie" ending on Way Down that was on the Platinum 1997 box set?
So is the whole ending on take 2a on Platinum box set just fake????
If yes ....talk about Mr Ferrante taking liberties :shock:

"Way Down" - take 2A
Platinum - uses an edit at the end to create a better listening experience
Moody Blue (FTD) - is the complete take from 10-29-1976

Dennis Ferrante worked with Ernst Jørgensen and his team to make all of Platinum a listenable retail product. Many of the rare cuts have been modified for this reason.

It is irksome, though, that Felton Jarvis had trouble counting to three at the "Way Down" session. What would have been marked as seven separate takes had the recording been at RCA's Studio B with Steve Sholes, ended up as several variants of "take two."
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Surrender to love <<--->> Let's forget about the stars!

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 am

YDKM wrote:Quoting the Doc and others here at last is the complete and proper exlaination of the 1997 'platinum' 'take' and why its NOT on the 'Moody Blue FTD!~ :D
LSP-4445 wrote:Hmm maybe I`m getting old and deaf at the same time but need some help so here it goes.......
Listening to the Moody Blue FTD version now but this one doesnt have the cool
"boogie woogie" ending on Way Down that was on the Platinum 1997 box set?
So is the whole ending on take 2a on Platinum box set just fake????
If yes ....talk about Mr Ferrante taking liberties :shock:

"Way Down" - take 2A
Platinum - uses an edit at the end to create a better listening experience
Moody Blue (FTD) - is the complete take from 10-29-1976

Dennis Ferrante worked with Ernst Jørgensen and his team to make all of Platinum a listenable retail product. Many of the rare cuts have been modified for this reason.

It is irksome, though, that Felton Jarvis had trouble counting to three at the "Way Down" session. What would have been marked as seven separate takes had the recording been at RCA's Studio B with Steve Sholes, ended up as several variants of "take two."
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Surrender to love <<--->> Let's forget about the stars!

Thank you, I do what I can.

I like how you copied my sig too. ;-)

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Mine is much cooler :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:24 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Mine is much cooler

What is the point of this off-topic post?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Like yours :wink:. Food for thought! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:56 am

Mike, you're à cool dude.!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 am

Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Like yours

My previous post was on-topic. You are trying to create yet another fight, for no reason.

Grow up.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Like yours

Grow up.

smt179. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:16 am

For those who might like to hear what Poor Man's Gold could have been, take a listen to a guy called Jamie Aaron Kelley and an album called Unfinished Business. He sings this song and also Leave My Woman Alone. When you listen to Elvis' few lines of this song, I think it would have come out great if he had finished it!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Grow up.

Come back when you grow up, girl. You're still living in a paper-doll world. You'll someday be a woman ready to love, so come back baby -- when you grow up.

How do you reckon Elvis would have sounded on that?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Rob wrote:

Come back when you grow up, girl. You're still living in a paper-doll world. You'll someday be a woman ready to love, so come back baby -- when you grow up.

I dont know but I remember thinking in 1966, geez even Bobby Vee is having nice pop chart success and Elvis is wallowing. Thanks for reminding me of those dark days.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 pm

What was Bobby Vee doing in 1968, 1969 and 1970 when Elvis was on top of the world?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Rob wrote:What was Bobby Vee doing in 1968, 1969 and 1970 when Elvis was on top of the world?

Vee was dead on the charts but you had to feel the pain of it all in 1966. At the time, in high school, it was quite disturbing. Elvis was not quite on top of he world in 1968. Dec. only (TV special). I'll give you 1969 and 1970. But to me, it wasnt the same after that. The comeback in terms of quality records was really over by 1971 except for Burning Love which really benefited a lot from the 50's revival that was going on that year.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:22 pm

r&b wrote:I'll give you 1969 and 1970. But to me, it wasn't the same after that.

Did I ever mention the fact that I became a fan after that?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Rob wrote:

Hopefully not half as wimpy as Bobby Vee comes off on the track.

phpBB [video]

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Rob wrote:
r&b wrote:I'll give you 1969 and 1970. But to me, it wasn't the same after that.

Does he also know you consider "Welcome To My World" a highlight from the "Aloha" TV broadcast?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Ask and you'll be given the key to this heart of mine.....

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:11 pm

Rob wrote:Ask and you'll be given the key to this heart of mine.....

Were you picked on a lot as a kid?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm still picked on -- mostly here.

And I'm telling mom.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:26 pm

Rob wrote:I'm still picked on -- mostly here.

And I'm telling mom.

Oh, no, you are the golden child!

:smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Hopefully not half as wimpy as Bobby Vee comes off on the track.

phpBB [video]

I actually like that song more now for its pop value than I did in 1966. In 1966, I hated it, thought it was total wimp and was shocked my classmates were buying the 45. Why not buy Love Letters, Frankie & Johnny, Indescribably Blue, etc? Why not I say??

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Does he also know you consider "Welcome To My World" a highlight from the "Aloha" TV broadcast?

Welcome to My World is indeed a highlight from Aloha. With a fresh and lilting arrangement that bears only a passing resemblence to the Nashville sound heard on the classic Jim Reeves original.

Elvis sings beautifully, with a smile in his voice, and a smile on his face. An understated vocal which is both honest and pure, lacking in affectation and clear as a bell. Listen again with fresh ears, and enjoy:

phpBB [video]

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:45 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Welcome to My World is indeed a highlight from Aloha. With a fresh and lilting arrangement that bears only a passing resemblence to the Nashville sound heard on the classic Jim Reeves original.

Elvis sings beautifully, with a smile in his voice, and a smile on his face. An understated vocal which is both honest and pure, lacking in affectation and clear as a bell. Listen again with fresh ears, and enjoy:

phpBB [video]

It fit the theme of the show, and he sang it nicely. And I like it. In fact, I love it.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:49 am

elvisjock wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

phpBB [video]

It fit the theme of the show, and he sang it nicely. And I like it. In fact, I love it.

Totally agree with you guys, a beautiful version, and Elvis seem's so happy singing it, and just delivers a heartwarming performance.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:40 am

Very sad to say that my "Moody Blue" booklet is M.I.A. ! :( :(