Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Moody Blue and From Elvis at American Sound Studio

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:50 am

YDKM wrote:I agree i do have a high degree of 'tolerance' for Elvis at his worst.... but i don't hear Elvis at his worst in October 1976! :D :sosorry:

That's right. And the band sound SO good too...

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:57 am

I have not yet gotten this release but I would like to make a comment.

From all the comments it seems that Elvis was in a rather good mood when he recorded these songs.
As opposed to the bored and uninterested Elvis that some of us might have felt when one hears that he supposedly
told Jerry that he just did not want to record his song, 'Theres a Fire Below'. It a shame to bad
he did not record this song. I know there are a lot of mixed feeling about this song, but I am one to
think this would have been one of the stronger cuts of these sessions. At least it would have been
better than 'The Last Farewell".

Burning Love

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:49 am

Absolutely Burning Love...... trouble is next day Elvis was more focused on a new delivery of Motorbikes and effectively the session broke up..... so sad because Elvis and the band were obviously having a great time that first night in both the Quality of the material AND having fun in a recording session-unfortunately that combination would never happen again!~ :|

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:38 pm

I have had Moody Blue a couple of weeks now. When you get 4 Classic FTD's at the same time it takes some time to absorb them. I have to say cd 2 on Moody Blue is one of the better second cd's in the land of classic double ftd's. Blue Eyes is one of my favorite cuts from the Graceland sessions and fits in great with my other favorites, She Thinks I Still Care, Pledging My Love, and the very funky never can get enough of Way Down. Nice finish with America. What a fun joyful collection the Moody Blue set is. I still don't have From EP Blvd. ftd. Maybe I should consider it when I order my next batch later this year.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:58 pm

L Ray wrote:I have had Moody Blue a couple of weeks now. When you get 4 Classic FTD's at the same time it takes some time to absorb them. I have to say cd 2 on Moody Blue is one of the better second cd's in the land of classic double ftd's. Blue Eyes is one of my favorite cuts from the Graceland sessions and fits in great with my other favorites, She Thinks I Still Care, Pledging My Love, and the very funky never can get enough of Way Down. Nice finish with America. What a fun joyful collection the Moody Blue set is. I still don't have From EP Blvd. ftd. Maybe I should consider it when I order my next batch later this year.

Bravo L Ray.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:05 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
L Ray wrote:I have had Moody Blue a couple of weeks now. When you get 4 Classic FTD's at the same time it takes some time to absorb them. I have to say cd 2 on Moody Blue is one of the better second cd's in the land of classic double ftd's. Blue Eyes is one of my favorite cuts from the Graceland sessions and fits in great with my other favorites, She Thinks I Still Care, Pledging My Love, and the very funky never can get enough of Way Down. Nice finish with America. What a fun joyful collection the Moody Blue set is. I still don't have From EP Blvd. ftd. Maybe I should consider it when I order my next batch later this year.

Bravo L Ray.

Even though Elvis had serious health problems in 1976/77, the truth is that he was still capable of singing great and making great recordings. The Moody Blue LP shows us that and with the FTD we get to hear more.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:13 pm

L Ray wrote:

Bravo L Ray.

Even though Elvis had serious health problems in 1976/77, the truth is that he was still capable of singing great and making great recordings. The Moody Blue LP shows us that and with the FTD we get to hear more.

That's the truth.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 pm

How can a mish-mosh LP just thrown together to fulfill the 3 LP /year obligation be considered great? A few good cuts does not make a great LP. You need to get real. The LP was mediocore at best.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:31 pm

L Ray wrote:

Bravo L Ray.

You know the past 2 days I've been listening alot to the Jungle Room Sessions, and I have to agree. Just because there wasn't that much material recorded does not mean what did get put down on tape isn't anything other than bad material. Pledging My Love, For The Heart, Way Down, Solitare....all good stuff, with Elvis, in fine voice. Now this is just my opinion, my view on the record at hand. I don't compare it to the other records Elvis put out, thats unfair given the Elvis' circumstances at this point in his life. It's strange though, how much better his voice sounded in the studio, compared to the live concerts.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 pm

r&b wrote:How can a mish-mosh LP just thrown together to fulfill the 3 LP /year obligation be considered great? A few good cuts does not make a great LP. You need to get real. The LP was mediocore at best.

It's FTDs treatment of it. It opens a once unlocked door on the sessions...

That's fact! Plain and simple.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:08 am

r&b wrote:How can a mish-mosh LP just thrown together to fulfill the 3 LP /year obligation be considered great? A few good cuts does not make a great LP. You need to get real. The LP was mediocore at best.

It's FTDs treatment of it. It opens a once unlocked door on the sessions...

That's fact! Plain and simple.

Much of the material had been previously released. The door was unlocked already. I like the FTD but let's not go crazy.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Nice effort!

Thank you Doc!

luckyjackson1 wrote:As a special weekend gift I tried to re-create the undubbed master of "Inherit The Wind" (thanks to the wonderful info on Keith Flynn's site), by using the intro without the count-in and an attempt to fix the line "in my vain".
I also spliced the longer fade-out from both versions to omit Elvis' mistake on the second overdub. Didn't work out a-hundred percent but it's too late now to give it another try. Hope you enjoy it anyway. Good night.

001 - Inherit The Wind.wav (File size: 34MB)
http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/51074314/file.html

What I meant was I used the intro of V.O.1 (PB) where there is no counting in the back audible. And I tried to fix the line "in my vein" and the following "smuck". Funny - is it only me but I get the impression while listening to both takes that Elvis didn't really feel like recording the song. And I also think that "Poor Man's Gold" sounded too much like "Don't Cry Daddy" to him so he decided (aside from the rather corny lyrics) not to record it. A shame though he didn't lay down a vocal track for the funky "Memory Revival" (or was it too equal to "Wearin' That Loved On Look"?) and "Come Out, Come Out (Wherever You Are)".

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:03 am

If you listen to outtakes, such as "She Thinks I Still Care" you can hear Elvis doing things with his voice just like he did in 1970 I remember seeing in TTWII Live and on stage.

Honestly IMO, the live shows don't do his voice justice in the last couple years, and the stuff from Moody Blue and EP BlVD proves that.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:26 am

I clearly remember doing a Graceland Tour in 1995..... and in the Jungle Room they played a bit from the Way Down session with Elvis saying ' looks like a walking disaster area'...and guess what its included on this Moody Blue release in the context of the recording sessions- great to hear this again some 19 years after i first heard it!~ :D

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:40 am

Burning Love wrote:I have not yet gotten this release but I would like to make a comment.

From all the comments it seems that Elvis was in a rather good mood when he recorded these songs.
As opposed to the bored and uninterested Elvis that some of us might have felt when one hears that he supposedly
told Jerry that he just did not want to record his song, 'Theres a Fire Below'. It a shame to bad
he did not record this song. I know there are a lot of mixed feeling about this song, but I am one to
think this would have been one of the stronger cuts of these sessions. At least it would have been

Burning Love

Jerry Scheff was no Roger Whittaker.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:32 am

midnightx wrote:
Burning Love wrote:I have not yet gotten this release but I would like to make a comment.

Burning Love

Jerry Scheff was no Roger Whittaker.[/quote}

And
Roger Whittaker was no Jerry Scheff!

Burning Love

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:44 am

midnightx wrote:

Burning Love

Jerry Scheff was no Roger Whittaker.

Neither was Elvis.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:46 am

YDKM wrote:I clearly remember doing a Graceland Tour in 1995..... and in the Jungle Room they played a bit from the Way Down session with Elvis saying ' looks like a walking disaster area'...and guess what its included on this Moody Blue release in the context of the recording sessions- great to hear this again some 19 years after i first heard it!~ :D

I recall when I was in Memphis for the first time in 1995 and while we were in the Jungle Room I stated that this was the place where Elvis made his final recordings. Another "fan" rolled his eyes in disbelief and said: "Yeah... sure... of course...". Never forget that. What a dumba*s. :roll:

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:06 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:I recall when I was in Memphis for the first time in 1995 and while we were in the Jungle Room I stated that this was the place where Elvis made his final recordings. Another "fan" rolled his eyes in disbelief and said: "Yeah... sure... of course...". Never forget that. What a dumba*s. :roll:

Hey, everyone knows Elvis made his final recordings in Nashville in 1980.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:54 pm

L Ray wrote:The longer threads like this go, the sillier they get.
getting used to it now.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:I recall when I was in Memphis for the first time in 1995 and while we were in the Jungle Room I stated that this was the place where Elvis made his final recordings. Another "fan" rolled his eyes in disbelief and said: "Yeah... sure... of course...". Never forget that. What a dumba*s. :roll:

Hey, everyone knows Elvis made his final recordings in Nashville in 1980.

That's funny for when I bought the "Elvis Forever Vol. 4" compilation in the eighties, it featured the overdubbed version of "You Asked Me To". Back then I didn't know sh*t about Elvis' recording sessions so I was really confused reading on the back cover: "Recorded December 11, 1973 / October 14, 1980". 8)

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 pm

The version of WAY DOWN on 'platinum' and a nice 'boogie woogie' instrumental part never made it to this FTD.....but otherwise it seems pretty complete and i have especially enjoyed disc 2 .,... but the 'undubbed' masters on Disc 1 all feature extra concert 'live' dialogue around the recorded versions... that is EXCEPT 'if you love me' that does NOT include the 'fairytale' false start from Kalamazoo on 26/4/77.~! :shock:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 am

Here is my attempt to re-create the splice and fade-out of "Suspicious Minds" - this time with the undubbed master. Enjoy!

Suspicious Minds (Re-created undubbed, spliced and faded master).wav (File size: 47MB)
http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/68443027/file.html

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks a lot.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:45 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Thanks a lot.

You're welcome! ::rocks I wish more people here would give it a spin to enjoy (and of course let me know their opinion :wink: ).