Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS - The hidden gems

Sat May 10, 2003 10:20 pm

I was just going through some recent messages on this board when I came accross the "Just Pretend" thread. Also, when I was posting my answer on the "Elvis' personal record collection" thread I was thinking about the "hidden gems" topic. Greg Nolan Jr. brought up "The Rough Guide To Elvis" by Paul Simpson which has this outstanding chapter called "The Canon - 50 essential Elvis songs". Simpsons mentions a song that definitely is my favorite "hidden gem" by Elvis, his 1964 "It Hurts Me".

Wouldn't a CD filled with stuff like that be a great release? I mean, everyone knows the (30) #1 Hits but there're at least twice as much songs that are as good as the number 1 hits but but which are mostly unknown to the public ...

What are your favorite "hidden gems" by Elvis and why?

Sat May 10, 2003 10:40 pm

my favorite "hidden gems" by Elvis
will its "three corn patchs" i just like the beat.
and "if you don't come back"

"Thanks to the rolling sea"

Sat May 10, 2003 11:05 pm

Yes!
A great idea!!!
Hidden gems:
It Hurts Me
Just Pretend (studio or live?)
How The Web Was Woven
Let Yourself Go (68 -edited - version)
Gentle On My Mind
Tell Me Why
Crawfish
I´m Leavin´
Stranger In My Own Hometown (70 - rehearsal version)
You´ll be gone
Loving Arms
Talk About The Good Times
Good Time Charlie´s Got The Blues

... just a few hidden gems, in no particular order...
20 tracks like these, it would be a killer album!

Sat May 10, 2003 11:09 pm

Prince - A great selection! I love Tell Me Why! But what about another great 1957 recording, "I Need You So"?? This is the perfect 50ies pop ballad IMO with Elvis showing his singing abilities for the first time in full bloom. Personally I think it's even better than the other great ballads of that time, "Love Me Tender" and "Love Me" ...

Whadda ya think?

Sat May 10, 2003 11:22 pm

Yes!
I Need You So is a GREAT song! I´m basically a 68-77 EP fan, but some earlier songs are just incredible... and both I Need You So and Tell Me Why are better then the hits from this period... I also love the 60´s "latino" songs, even a song like "I´ll Take Love" ! That´s a song I always play when I´m working as a DJ! :wink:

Sat May 10, 2003 11:28 pm

Prince Dragna wrote:I also love the 60´s "latino" songs, even a song like "I´ll Take Love" ! That´s a song I always play when I´m working as a DJ! :wink:

Yesssss! These "latino" songs are all great! But what the heck is "I'll Take Love"??? :?

Sat May 10, 2003 11:33 pm

How About "Bossa nova baby"
it's not a bad song in fact i like to see it in a re-mix version
like allc.

Sat May 10, 2003 11:34 pm

See See Rider - I´ll Take Love is from the movie Easy Come Easy Go! It´s almost like La Bamba, but what the heck.... it´s Elvis, it´s 60´s-latino-trash, and it´s great!!! If you haven´t heard it, you must check it out!
By the way - it´s Saturday night and I´m staying home, listening to Rhythm & Country at maximum volume, drinking wine... Jesus, that might sound tragic, but I´m feeling pretty good!

Sat May 10, 2003 11:36 pm

Curtis Simpkins wrote:How About "Bossa nova baby"
it's not a bad song in fact i like to see it in a re-mix version
like allc.

Peaking at #8 in 1963 I wouldn't call it a "hidden gem". It was a major hit in fact, wasn't it?

Sat May 10, 2003 11:39 pm

Prince Dragna wrote:See See Rider - I´ll Take Love is from the movie Easy Come Easy Go!

Phew! Finally a song I didn't know after listening to Elvis for over 25 years ... LOL! Man, Easy Come, easy Go isn't the kind of stuff I'm usually listening to, I'm sorry. But yeah, I'm gonna check it out anyway, thanks for the recommendation! ;)

By the way - it´s Saturday night and I´m staying home, listening to Rhythm & Country at maximum volume, drinking wine... Jesus, that might sound tragic, but I´m feeling pretty good!

Yeah, I'm drinking beer and feeling great, too! ;) "Rhythm & Country" is a GREAT album. One of the best from "Essential Elvis" series. A little too long IMHO ...[/quote]

Sat May 10, 2003 11:42 pm

well i know bossa nova isn't a hidden gem
but i like the song.

Sat May 10, 2003 11:42 pm

Bossa Nova Baby is a great song, but hardly a "hidden gem". BTW does anyone remember the late 80´s remix released on a 12" in the UK? It wasn´t very good... :twisted:

Sat May 10, 2003 11:49 pm

Thinking About You should be on the "hidden gems" list too... I just realized! A marvellous performace, with a lot of feeling. OK, time to pour another glass of wine. Cheers, y´all!

Sun May 11, 2003 4:17 am

one sided love affair
never ending
gonna get back home somehow
the next step is love
just pretend
life
hi-heel sneakers unedited version
my little friend
you'll think of me
spring fever-duet with shelley fabares
pocketful of rainbows
such an easy question
it feels so right
you'll be gone
it hurts me
catchin on fast
loving arms
put the blame on me
party
come what may
and i love you so-live 1976
long legged girl
hard knocks
my boy-live
it's midnight
are you sincere
soltere
the last farewell
three corn patches

Hidden Gems

Sun May 11, 2003 5:31 am

If you are putting together a hidden gems listen, I think you have to include Tomorrow is a Long Time--one of E's finest 60s performances.

I've always been kind of partial to All I Needed was the Rain--shame it was buried in Stay Away Joe.

Terry

Gems

Sun May 11, 2003 5:54 am

I find it strange that this song does not get mentioned very often.
Wearin' That Loved On Look

JMO but I think this song would work now.

Tony

Re: Hidden Gems

Sun May 11, 2003 8:12 pm

terbon4 wrote:If you are putting together a hidden gems listen, I think you have to include Tomorrow is a Long Time--one of E's finest 60s performances.

Terry

I would agree on “Tomorrow Is A Long Time”. An excellent performance, and one of my all time favourite Elvis tracks. A pity he didn’t cover Bob Dylan’s songs more often.

I think BMG are correct to follow up “ELV1S” with the rest of the big hits on “Second To None”, but if “Second To None” is also successful, it might be a good idea for BMG to follow it with a compilation of classic performances that weren’t hit singles, and aren’t generally known to the casual record buyer. This would be a great introduction to the rest of the Presley catalogue for the people who have developed an interest in Elvis’ music following the success of ”ELV1S”.

Mon May 12, 2003 12:23 am

C'mon folks, give me more of them "gems", especially from his movies. What about "They Remind Me Too Much Of You", "I Need Somebody To Lean On" or "Let Yourself Go"?

One of his best songs of the 70ies has to be "For Ol' Times Sake". One of his saddest songs ever, what do you think?

Mon May 12, 2003 4:18 am

Tomorrow Never Comes

Mon May 12, 2003 4:25 am

[quote=One of his best songs of the 70ies has to be "For Ol' Times Sake". One of his saddest songs ever, what do you think?[/quote]

True. A great acoustic intro. I recently thought you know, I could actually hear this played on today's C&W radio and it would sound like a brand new song! It should get played. It sounds so fresh and new.

I'm curious at to who is the actual flattop picker on that song: Burton, Hodge or Reggie Young. They are all 3 listed on the session it was recorded.

Mon May 12, 2003 9:49 am

Without a doubt...

"It's Different Now"
"Shake A Hand"

Take a listen to these two and see if you agree!

Hidden gems

Mon May 12, 2003 10:12 am

How about some real hidden gems like
City By Night?

It feels so right
I agree, is an all-time classic while Reconsider Baby , although not unknown to us, is out-of-sight!

Also the later 'Pledging My Love' (not the single B side but the unedited version) is a fabulous plea from the heart.

Cheers, Piers

Wed May 14, 2003 7:14 pm

Some of my favorite "hidden" gems:

Is It So Strange
Suspicion
Tender Feeling
Come What May
Fools Fall In Love
High Heel Sneakers
Goin' Home
Any Day Now
A Little Bit of Green
Stranger In the Crowd
The Fool
I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
I'll Never Know
It's Only Love
The Sound of Your Cry
Sylvia
We Can Make the Morning
Early Morning Rain
It's A Matter of Time
Where Do I Go From Here?
Love Me, Love the Life I Lead
Sweet Angeline
Thinking About You
Pledging My Love

Tom (from Ohio)

overlooked songs

Wed May 14, 2003 7:34 pm

:D
tender feeling
anyone
animal instinct
wisdom of the ages
goin home
baby what u want me to do
is it so strange
memphis tenn
i met her today
never ending
let me be there
if you talk in your sleep
big love big heartache
20 days 20nights
when it rains it really pours
it wouldnt be the same without u

Wed May 14, 2003 11:51 pm

I don't know if this song charted (off the top of my head) but one of my personal favorites has always been "Sentimental Me".
It's in a class with "It Hurt's Me" and songs like "I Met Her Today" and another of my
favorites from Wild In The Country - "They Remind Me Too Much Of You".
Elvis' renditions of these songs are beautiful and are "Elvis classics" in my books.