Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Which Record or CD did you first hear "That's All Right"

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:33 pm

I first heard it in October 1956. It was track 5 on side 1 of the UK version of the first album 'Elvis Presley' (Rock 'n' Roll) HMV CLP 1093. The song and the whole LP were mind blowing to an 11 year old who had been bought up with songs such 'How Much Is That Doggie in the Window' and 'Never Do A Tango With An Eskimo'.

Unless you were alive and into music at the time, it is impossible now to imagine the gigantic and liberating impact Elvis had on all our life's particularly, it seems, here in the Uk.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 pm

I first heard it in 1962, my aunt had the album "For LP Fans Only", she was a first generation fan.
It was so much different to my ears than the songs I was hearing by Elvis on the radio-a frantic fun feel with a blues edge.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 am

Elvis A Legendary Performer.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:32 am

Legendary Performer Vol 1 on 8 track in my dad's VW bus.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 am

On vinyl on either "This Is Elvis" or "The Sun Sessions." Can't remember for sure -- got them a month or so apart in the early 80s.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 am

MysteryTrain wrote:Yes, "That's All Right (Mama)" was on "A Legendary Performer, Vol. I" and it sounded great there, but it was the RCA version with the extra revibe.

MT

That LP was where I first heard and/or owned "That's All Right." What a perfect track, and one hell of a debut.

The "dry" Sun 209 A-side from 1954 would not greet my ears until maybe 10 years ago. It is the go-to version for me, now and forever.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:Yes, "That's All Right (Mama)" was on "A Legendary Performer, Vol. I" and it sounded great there, but it was the RCA version with the extra revibe.

MT

That LP was where I first heard and/or owned "That's All Right." What a perfect track, and one hell of a debut.

The "dry" Sun 209 A-side from 1954 would not greet my ears until maybe 10 years ago. It is the go-to version for me, now and forever.

Doc,

Where can I find the "dry" Sun 209 A-side from 1954?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:43 am

It probably looked a lot like THIS! (I don't have any of them anymore; I gave them away. :( )

8-track_Legendary_V1.JPG

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:51 am

Dixieland Rocks wrote:Doc,

Where can I find the "dry" Sun 209 A-side from 1954?

FTD's A Boy From Tupelo is the go-to digital source.

The original, "dry" version later surfaced on a 1973 counterfeit 45 of Sun 209, in colored vinyl.

Here's a YouTube upload that I *think* is an authentic dub of Sun 209:

phpBB [video]

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:06 pm

It was most likely the original 1959 pressing "For LP Fans Only" album that my uncle owned, must have heard it way back in the seventies. And then as a five-year old child I heard it again on the german documentary "Elvis - Die fruehen Jahre 1956-1963" and was blown away by it. Never let me go again since then. What an unbelievable recording.
Finally in 1986 I bought "The Sun Sessions" album and could call it my own.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:02 pm

The Sun collection in the mid 70s

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 pm

The first time I heard That's All Right, was on A Legendary Performer # 1 LP. That was a long time ago.