Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New FTD's delivered

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:14 pm

elvisland wrote:has anybody received the new ftds from the elvis shop london yet

Yes but unfortunately I wasn't in so they are at the post office until tomorrow.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 pm

norrie wrote:
elvisland wrote:has anybody received the new ftds from the elvis shop london yet

Yes but unfortunately I wasn't in so they are at the post office until tomorrow.

You will love 'em, norrie!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm sure I will Doc.Ftd constantly delivers.

norrie

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Uh oh elvismatters just started taking pre-orders for Moody blue FTD and gave this as cover-art ''The cover ain't definitive yet'' Image lets hope that this aint the cover.. and that they just stick to the original cover.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Uh oh elvismatters just started taking pre-orders for Moody blue FTD and gave this as cover-art ''The cover ain't definitive yet'' Image lets hope that this aint the cover.. and that they just stick to the original cover.

Yeah the original can't be beat, what the heck was BMG thinking when they sprang this one on us in 2000.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:37 pm

TINML wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Uh oh elvismatters just started taking pre-orders for Moody blue FTD and gave this as cover-art ''The cover ain't definitive yet'' Image lets hope that this aint the cover.. and that they just stick to the original cover.

Yeah the original can't be beat, what the heck was BMG thinking when they sprang this one on us in 2000.

that's a mighty good question my friend.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:09 pm

TINML wrote: What the heck was BMG thinking when they sprang this one on us in 2000.

They wanted to try something different and increase sales by selling the same ol album with a new cover on it. Did not work for me because I never bought the album. Already have the originals. (FEPB & MB original pressing CD's from the 80's)

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:29 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
TINML wrote: What the heck was BMG thinking when they sprang this one on us in 2000.

They wanted to try something different and increase sales by selling the same ol album with a new cover on it. Did not work for me because I never bought the album. Already have the originals. (FEPB & MB original pressing CD's from the 80's)

Actually, the cover art seemed more like a way to let consumers know it was not a straight reissue of "the same ol album" -- which was a fact.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

Actually, the cover art seemed more like a way to let consumers know it was not a straight reissue of "the same ol album" -- which was a fact.

OK but the original album covers for the debut and FEIM were kept intact and those were NOT straight reissues either.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:01 pm

TINML wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Actually, the cover art seemed more like a way to let consumers know it was not a straight reissue of "the same ol album" -- which was a fact.

OK but the original album covers for the debut and FEIM were kept intact and those were NOT straight reissues either.

Yes, but they had mostly good songs on them.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TINML wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Actually, the cover art seemed more like a way to let consumers know it was not a straight reissue of "the same ol album" -- which was a fact.

:lol:

I liked it. I was around 14 when I got the reissue on CD and I loved most songs, as I do to this day.

EXCEPT for Little Darlin', that will always be a freaking embarrassment.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:30 pm

There is nothing embarrassing about Little Darlin' in the context of a show. Elvis did the song as a lighthearted bit of fun, and there's nothing wrong with that - his humour was always rather silly anyway. Even on a live album it would have made sense, but Moody Blue was a "serious" album and so it sits uncomfortably on there. That said, I still think Moody Blue was a considerable step up from E P Boulevard - there is nothing here that finds Elvis's voice in such bad shape as Never Again, Love Coming Down and others, and the (mostly) country feel of the album hangs together well.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:32 pm

TINML wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TINML wrote:

:lol:

I liked it. I was around 14 when I got the reissue on CD and I loved most songs, as I do to this day.

EXCEPT for Little Darlin', that will always be a freaking embarrassment.

The overdubs on it are excellent.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:47 pm

poormadpeter wrote:There is nothing embarrassing about Little Darlin' in the context of a show. Elvis did the song as a lighthearted bit of fun, and there's nothing wrong with that - his humour was always rather silly anyway. Even on a live album it would have made sense, but Moody Blue was a "serious" album and so it sits uncomfortably on there. That said, I still think Moody Blue was a considerable step up from E P Boulevard - there is nothing here that finds Elvis's voice in such bad shape as Never Again, Love Coming Down and others, and the (mostly) country feel of the album hangs together well.

I was thrilled to have Little Darlin on there.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:48 pm

poormadpeter wrote:There is nothing embarrassing about Little Darlin' in the context of a show. Elvis did the song as a lighthearted bit of fun, and there's nothing wrong with that - his humour was always rather silly anyway. Even on a live album it would have made sense, but Moody Blue was a "serious" album and so it sits uncomfortably on there. That said, I still think Moody Blue was a considerable step up from E P Boulevard - there is nothing here that finds Elvis's voice in such bad shape as Never Again, Love Coming Down and others, and the (mostly) country feel of the album hangs together well.

elvis voice in bad shape on never again and love coming down?? :shock: I thought these were sung great by elvis.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 pm

Different strokes, I love most of the Jungle Room masters and I am embarrassed by LD.

His vocals add a pathos to the songs that make the depth of the lyrics hit home when I listen to them.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:13 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:

elvis voice in bad shape on never again and love coming down?? :shock: I thought these were sung great by elvis.

His vibrato is so wide he sounds like he is singing while holding a pneumatic drill.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:16 pm

The MB re-issue with bonus tracks from 2000 had the poorest sound quality as it was not re-mixed nor re-mastered. One of the songs was clipped off at the beginning of the track....from what I've been told.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:20 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:The MB re-issue with bonus tracks from 2000 had the poorest sound quality as it was not re-mixed nor re-mastered. One of the songs was clipped off at the beginning of the track....from what I've been told.

It's not horrid like some of the 80's CD's I've heard. It's OK but nowhere near that amazing job Vic Anesini did on that $5 From Elvis Presley BLVD reissue that was released a few years ago.

And the album WAS remastered, so that's incorrect.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:32 am

Just listening to G.I. Blues FTD and must say it sounds fabulous. CD-1 and the remixed master takes sound smooth.

Great version of "Doin The Best I Can," which following on from Vol 1 is more of the same with the great Jordanaires.
"Frankfurt Special" has the "let's get started before this train runs out of juice" line on the breakdown.

The booklet is gorgeous with great photos too:

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 am

TINML wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:The MB re-issue with bonus tracks from 2000 had the poorest sound quality as it was not re-mixed nor re-mastered. One of the songs was clipped off at the beginning of the track....from what I've been told.

It's not horrid like some of the 80's CD's I've heard. It's OK but nowhere near that amazing job Vic Anesini did on that $5 From Elvis Presley BLVD reissue that was released a few years ago.

The 2000 Moddy Blue could perhaps be the only issue of an album to include bonus tracks but lose one song from the original album. Lunacy.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:44 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:Just listening to G.I. Blues FTD and must say it sounds fabulous. CD-1 and the remixed master takes sound smooth.

Great version of "Doin The Best I Can," which following on from Vol 1 is more of the same with the great Jordanaires.
"Frankfurt Special" has the "let's get started before this train runs out of juice" line on the breakdown.

image.jpg

Thanks for the info. How is that take 14 of Shoppin Around?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 am

poormadpeter wrote:
TINML wrote:

The 2000 Moddy Blue could perhaps be the only issue of an album to include bonus tracks but lose one song from the original album. Lunacy.

Not really lunacy, they were just releasing all the 1976 masters in one package... perhaps they should have given the cd another name but I wouldn't really say it was lunacy.

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:04 am

heathbarclay wrote:Just listening to the closing show of the On Stage Season set and avidly reading the accompanying booklet :D Did Ringo Starr really attend the opening show, as indicated in the featured newspaper clipping?

I don't know if Starr attended the opening night show but he definitely did attend one of the shows early on in this engagement, as Robert Hilburn mentioned Starr being in the audience in a review he wrote of a show from the engagement ("Charisma of Presley Still Rocks Vegas"). I'm not 100% sure Hilburn's review was of the opening night show. I don't believe it is because Hilburn makes references to both dinner shows and midnight shows and also mentions that Elvis would be beginning the second week of the 4 week stand in Vegas the day the article appeared in the newspaper. So it would seem that Starr likely didn't attend opening night but he did attend a show during the first week of the engagement.

To quote from the Hilburn review:

"But the Beatles' Ringo Starr, sitting in the audience almost as a symbolic representative of those who were influenced by Presley's music, joined some of the faithful in strong applause on every song."

Here's Ringo Starr talking about meeting Elvis in Las Vegas in 1970 (0:58 mark).

phpBB [video]

The James Kingsley review in Billboard magazine ("Presley 'Shakes Up' Las Vegas Audience") in the 2-7-70 issue makes mention that Dean Martin was in the audience and that Elvis threw out a brief version of "Everybody Loves Somebody." I do believe that Kingsley's review is of the opening night show.

The Kingsley review also mistakenly notes that Elvis performed "Lodi" (it should have been "Proud Mary" instead).

A review in the "Daily Variety" by Duke makes mention that Sammy Shore had a running comedy bit about the Peggy Lee song "Is That All There Is?" Frank Lieberman's review ("Elvis IS Still The King!") also notes the comedy bit about "Is That All There Is."

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:47 am

L Ray wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Just listening to G.I. Blues FTD and must say it sounds fabulous. CD-1 and the remixed master takes sound smooth.

image.jpg

Thanks for the info. How is that take 14 of Shoppin Around?

Take 14? Ah yes! It speeds along at a jaunty pace - enjoyable!
Love the instrumentals on CD-2. "Whistling Blues"with it's super jazz/blues guitar.

You know - G.I Blues the movie was never a favourite. However since the first vol 1, and now this excellent FTD VOL 2 - the period has become one of my favourite periods. Just fascinating and fantastic music.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.