Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New FTD's delivered

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:58 am

Great news.... i will have a great time in November listening to both these great new FTD's!~ :smt006

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:52 am

Can't wait to receive the live CD! I was only talking about the opening concert from this season a few weeks ago and now FTD have released it! Maybe Ernst was reading my post? Haha, okay, maybe not...

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:03 am

Yes i remember saying either HERE or in conversation with FECC member Jim Dandy that if FTD can deliver an even just 10% improvement in sound i will be delighted..... last weekend i made certain i had listened to the previous Bootlegs from these 2 early Vegas 1970's shows - so i will be able to give my rating to these next month- but great to hear that first people's feedback is SO POSITIVE- clearly 2 new FTD'S are winners!~ :D
Actually i have enjoyed EVERY Vegas opening and closing shows i have ever heard... always interesing shows and Elvis seemed to deliver good ones each time...just wish i could listen to every season's opening and closing in beuatiful FTD sound but unfortunately that won't be possible, still opening with a double from 1970 is a fantastic taste of pleasure!~ :)

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:18 am

Received mine today from shopelvis.

Excuse me while I go do some listening!

RKS

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:57 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Keith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
memfisking wrote:Thanks ...

But will he find the other "surprise"? Not without help. ;-)

"Didja Ever" 8)

Shouldn't the "Gramafunken version of Wooden Heart" also be one of the surprise on this set? :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Renan wrote:Did you get the chance to check if there is any improvement on sound quality of the Opening and Closing night concerts?

See:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79471&p=1224663#p1224663

Thank you!

I have already pre ordered.....just have to wait a little longer. :D

Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:57 am

Garfield wrote:
Keith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:But will he find the other "surprise"? Not without help. ;-)

"Didja Ever" 8)

It warms my old heart to see how FECC brings old friends together.

Nice comment!
:smt003 :smt003

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:22 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Received mine today from shopelvis.

Excuse me while I go do some listening!

RKS

I got confirmation that mine has shipped from ShopElvis.com I only ordered them 3 days ago! Maybe I will have them by Saturday! Had to pass on GI Blues(for now, sry Rob)

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:17 am

has anybody received the new ftds from the elvis shop london yet

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 am

Keith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

"Didja Ever" 8)

where is an unreleased outtake of didja ever? I see only the master.
besides, weren't the masters not already remixed released on vol.1?
anybody?

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:49 pm

matilda wrote:
Keith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

"Didja Ever" 8)

anybody?

Didja Ever is on volume 1.

No they weren't remixed on Vol 1.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:50 pm

matilda wrote:where is an unreleased outtake of didja ever? I see only the master.
anybody?

I asked about the unreleased "Gramafunken version of Wooden Heart" as well, and no answer :cry:. Silence is Golden..... :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Just listening to the closing show of the On Stage Season set and avidly reading the accompanying booklet :D Did Ringo Starr really attend the opening show, as indicated in the featured newspaper clipping?

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:31 pm

matilda wrote:
Keith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

"Didja Ever" 8)

anybody?

What you get on Volume 1 is a splice of takes 1 (Intro) and 2 - This is the master used on later U.S. pressings of the "GI Blues" album, and is the master used on CD releases where the masters have not been remixed. The masters weren't remixed on Volume 1 by the way, only the outtakes were remixed by Vic Anesini.
Here on Volume 2 is the complete Take 2 which was the original master of the song, used on the initial 1960 U.S. pressings as well all international (U.K, German etc...) pressings of the "G.I. Blues" album throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Mike Windgren wrote:Shouldn't the "Gramafunken version of Wooden Heart" also be one of the surprise on this set? :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.

Yes, this is on the set, but it isn't a surprise as such as it was listed on the track listing flyers. Elvis doesn't sing on this either, as it's only an instrumental.

Keith

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:44 pm

The opening night concert sounds fabulous! I think it's got to be one of Elvis' best ever performances. Great blend of songs. Love the high energy, the way Elvis attacks the rockers and the beautiful ballads. Enjoyed reading the liner notes too. Thanks to Ernst & Co for another stellar release! :D

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Keith wrote:
matilda wrote:
Keith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

"Didja Ever" 8)

anybody?

What you get on Volume 1 is a splice of takes 1 (Intro) and 2 - This is the master used on later U.S. pressings of the "GI Blues" album, and is the master used on CD releases where the masters have not been remixed. The masters weren't remixed on Volume 1 by the way, only the outtakes were remixed by Vic Anesini.
Here on Volume 2 is the complete Take 2 which was the original master of the song, used on the initial 1960 U.S. pressings as well all international (U.K, German etc...) pressings of the "G.I. Blues" album throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Mike Windgren wrote:Shouldn't the "Gramafunken version of Wooden Heart" also be one of the surprise on this set? :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.

Yes, this is on the set, but it isn't a surprise as such as it was listed on the track listing flyers. Elvis doesn't sing on this either, as it's only an instrumental.

Keith

Thanks Keith for your detailed info.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Keith wrote:

Keith

Thank you Sir! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:40 pm

:D Yes my cd's are on their way now - so 'now dig this ' just recieved them cheers!~ 8) :lol:

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Help is on the way! ;-)

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 pm

YDKM wrote:
Yes my cd's are on their way now - so 'now dig this ' just recieved them cheers!~

I can't believe shopelvis beat nowdigthis in sending these out. WOW!

Though I haven't listened completely yet, my first impressions:

What I first noticed on the G.I. Blues FTD is how upfront and "warm" Elvis' vocal is. In fact, on the opening track, "Didja Ever", I thought his vocal was too "warm" - meaning, it almost sounded muffled - if you know what I mean.

As for the "On Stage season" - First, I don't have the bootleg of these shows so I have no comparison. I noticed that there is alot of microphone distortion. Like Elvis was too close to the mic or something. It's a bit distracting. There is quite a bit of fade in and out also.

Now I do realize that these are just soundboard recordings and not RCA pro recorded, but I had hoped for better maybe because Bill Proter was the engineer - I don't know.

The shows are very high energy with some great versions, although it seems Elvis is shouting at times more that singing. Really makes you wish they we're pro recorded by RCA!

RKS

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:51 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:YDKM wrote:
Yes my cd's are on their way now - so 'now dig this ' just recieved them cheers!~

I can't believe shopelvis beat nowdigthis in sending these out. WOW!

Though I haven't listened completely yet, my first impressions:

What I first noticed on the G.I. Blues FTD is how upfront and "warm" Elvis' vocal is. In fact, on the opening track, "Didja Ever", I thought his vocal was too "warm" - meaning, it almost sounded muffled - if you know what I mean.

As for the "On Stage season" - First, I don't have the bootleg of these shows so I have no comparison. I noticed that there is alot of microphone distortion. Like Elvis was too close to the mic or something. It's a bit distracting. There is quite a bit of fade in and out also.

Now I do realize that these are just soundboard recordings and not RCA pro recorded, but I had hoped for better maybe because Bill Proter was the engineer - I don't know.

The shows are very high energy with some great versions, although it seems Elvis is shouting at times more that singing. Really makes you wish they we're pro recorded by RCA!

RKS
When Elvis was alive North America was first to receive the latest record, now it's the other way around since FTD is based in Denmark. The World tuns turns tuns .... but the cds too on my sound system when I get them.Mine has been sent by Now Dig This and it's gonna take a week before I get it cause I live on the othe side of the Atlantic ocean, I don't mind, I can wait a little longer and NDT has always give me the best of service. They ARE fast but they can't control the time/distance once it's shipped. And they have the best magazine too on Elvis. A time to rejoyce !!!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:03 am

:D November will be a great month for many fans listening to best QUALITY SOUND on many of Elvis's finest vocals!~ :D
Bill Porter just did his best at the time.... these were never mean't to be released at the time of recording. :|

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks Ernst for the On Stage Sessions, what a magnificent set of shows. The second show in particular just blew me away. Listening to Elvis power his way through Let it Be Me, I Can't Stop Loving You and CC Rider was truly thrilling. He is The King in this show. I had goosebumps experiencing such a powerful performance from Elvis. I hear Elvis encountering parts of songs for the first time, I know how they will sound later but for now its great to hear him encounter moments he will adjust in future performances. I've been loving Elvis since 1970 and On Stage was one of my first Elvis musical experiences, this FTD will be treasured. This is excellent work by the FTD team and I thank you for showcasing Elvis at his brilliant best. We Elvis fans are so lucky to have you at the helm of FTD.

Many Thanks.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:41 am

slaterus wrote:Thanks Ernst for the On Stage Sessions, what a magnificent set of shows. The second show in particular just blew me away. Listening to Elvis power his way through Let it Be Me, I Can't Stop Loving You and CC Rider was truly thrilling. He is The King in this show. I had goosebumps experiencing such a powerful performance from Elvis. I hear Elvis encountering parts of songs for the first time, I know how they will sound later but for now its great to hear him encounter moments he will adjust in future performances. I've been loving Elvis since 1970 and On Stage was one of my first Elvis musical experiences, this FTD will be treasured. This is excellent work by the FTD team and I thank you for showcasing Elvis at his brilliant best. We Elvis fans are so lucky to have you at the helm of FTD.

Many Thanks.

Totally agree!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:48 pm

heathbarclay wrote:Just listening to the closing show of the On Stage Season set and avidly reading the accompanying booklet :D Did Ringo Starr really attend the opening show, as indicated in the featured newspaper clipping?

In late January 1970 Ringo was in America to promote the release of "The Magic Christian":

The Magic Christian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Christian_(film)

The story goes that the legendary drummer caught one of the Presley shows that first weekend, maybe Sunday, 2-01-1970. A friend named Ken Mansfield set it up.

Beatles protege Ken Mansfield recalls the Elvis Presley meeting that never was
Submitted by jeremylr on September 27th, 2013

770000_Mansfield_Starr.jpg

Ken Mansfield may not be a household name, but the artists he counts as dear friends most certainly are. As the former U.S. manager of The Beatles' Apple Record Company, Mansfield wore several hats during his creative peak in the '60s and '70s, alternately promoting, producing, or writing for such luminaries as Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell, and "Ode to Billie Joe" chanteuse Bobbie Gentry.

In a recent, exclusive interview with this writer plugging the release of his memoir, "Stumbling on Open Ground: Love, God, Cancer, and Rock 'n' Roll", Mansfield memorably recalled how he nearly got to meet the King of Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley, at Ringo Starr's suggestion.

Question: Since you were good friends with The Beatles, did you have an opportunity to meet Elvis Presley?

Mansfield: Unfortunately I didn’t. Ringo Starr, who I met during my Capitol tenure and later befriended when The Beatles personally asked me to oversee Apple, their record company in the USA, called me from London and said Elvis was performing at the International Hotel in Las Vegas.

This happened during the last weekend of January 1970, just months after Elvis’ triumphant return to live performances. By then I had resigned from Apple and joined MGM Records as vice-president.

Ringo hadn’t seen Elvis since The Beatles’ historic August 1965 summit at the singer’s exotic Perugia Way home in Bel Air. (Ironically, I had also spent that day with The Beatles at their rented house in the Hollywood Hills. The day ended with them getting ready to go to Elvis’ house.)

Ringo said, “If I fly in, can you take care of us and arrange seating arrangements at one of Elvis’ shows?” Of course, I jumped at the opportunity as I was a serious Elvis fan. I thought, ‘Great, I'm going to get to meet Elvis because I'm going to be with Ringo’.

Long story short, we snuck Ringo in the back of the hotel and into the auditorium. Afterwards, Elvis sent for Ringo, but his people wouldn't let me go up with him. They only let Ringo go up. I was really disappointed.

I knew the musicians in Elvis’ TCB band, including drummer Ronnie Tutt and guitarist James Burton. I ultimately worked with The Imperials, a superb vocal quintet best known for backing Elvis, on their 1991 album, Big God. By then, Armond Morales was the only member still in the group who had worked with Elvis. Believe me, I asked him plenty of questions about Elvis [laughs].

680700_Mansfield_Starr.jpg
Ken Mansfield and Ringo Starr shoot the breeze with Apple secretaries inside The Beatles' corporate office in London, circa November 1968,
The White Album era; Note the picture of singer Jackie Lomax, who passed away in September 2013, featured on the wall.

Image Courtesy of Ken Mansfield

680700_Apple meeting.jpg
The Beatles attend a business meeting in London, summer 1968: L to R: The back of George Harrison's head, Apple Chief Executive Ron Kass, Paul McCartney, Ken Mansfield, Ringo Starr, President of Capitol Records Stanley Gortikov, and John Lennon's knees.....
Image courtesy of Ken Mansfield

http://www.bubblews.com/news/1219522-beatles-protege-ken-mansfield-recalls-the-elvis-presley-meeting-that-never-was

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.