Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New FTD's delivered

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:30 am

I've gave the FTD's a careful listen as well. To my ears, the sound quality is pretty much the same as Disc 1 (Opening Show) of the "Rebooked" box, however, the FTD discs are much better edited than the Backdraft label discs (I don't have to use the FF button as much), and there is considerable less distortion and drop outs on the closing show FTD disc 2, compared to the former (Disc 4 of Rebooked)....so all in all FTD is a step up from previous releases (Madison & Backdraft).

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:56 am

The only Disc I have of these shows is True Love Travels On A Gravel Road on the Laurel label.
Can someone please tell me
1. How is the sound compared to this CD on the Laurel label. Better or Worse?
2. Since I have most of the FTD soundboards which FTD soundboard has the closet
sound to this new ON STAGE SEASON. Does it sound closer to "Dinner at 8" "Its Midnight" or
"I Found My Trill".

Many thanks

Burning Love

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:17 am

Burning Love wrote:The only Disc I have of these shows is True Love Travels On A Gravel Road on the Laurel label.
sound to this new ON STAGE SEASON. Does it sound closer to "Dinner at 8" "Its Midnight" or
"I Found My Trill".

Many thanks

Burning Love

the FTD is much much better than True Love Travels on a Gravel Road cd, especially the closing show is sensational sounding! I would say the sound(on closing show) is most close to the newer FTD soundboards i.e. Sold Out or 3000 Paradise Road

JEFF d
EP fan
Last edited by JEFF d on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am

Kylan wrote:am a bit dissapointed with the opening show. just got it and listened to the first 20 mins or so. elvis' vocal way up front. everything else quiet and the sound is quite shrill. listen to the sweets on proud mary. headache city. the boot is a bit more pleasing to the ear. oh well. its a soundboard. they are what they are. never do listen to soundboards often.

Ack.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:34 pm

r&b wrote:
Kylan wrote:am a bit dissapointed with the opening show. just got it and listened to the first 20 mins or so. elvis' vocal way up front. everything else quiet and the sound is quite shrill. listen to the sweets on proud mary. headache city. the boot is a bit more pleasing to the ear. oh well. its a soundboard. they are what they are. never do listen to soundboards often.

I agree. I thinks it's a tough listen. I will probably sell it. I don't keep anything I cant enjoy.

my thoughts too....and the ending with Millie on Let it be Me........excruciating

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Jesus, all this crap about what's better than what. It's a soundboard that was recorded 43 years ago for gods sake. It isn't ever going to be audiophile quality. If your sitting there comparing you are not sitting there enjoying. To be honest if you collect all Elvis stuff how many times are you going to listen to this one or these two concerts in your lifetime. Not many would be my guess.
Just enjoy what we have or go back and listen to Elvis singing from the bottom of a 100ft well from the audience recordings of the 80s boots that we had.
Thanks Ernst and Roger and the rest, it is truly a fantastic release.
Paul

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:30 pm

rollinson1 wrote:Jesus, all this crap about what's better than what. It's a soundboard that was recorded 43 years ago for gods sake. It isn't ever going to be audiophile quality. If your sitting there comparing you are not sitting there enjoying. To be honest if you collect all Elvis stuff how many times are you going to listen to this one or these two concerts in your lifetime. Not many would be my guess.
Just enjoy what we have or go back and listen to Elvis singing from the bottom of a 100ft well from the audience recordings of the 80s boots that we had.
Paul

Truer words were never spoken. Amen.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:43 pm

JEFF d wrote:
Burning Love wrote:The only Disc I have of these shows is True Love Travels On A Gravel Road on the Laurel label.
"I Found My Trill".

Many thanks

Burning Love

the FTD is much much better than True Love Travels on a Gravel Road cd, especially the closing show is sensational sounding! I would say the sound(on closing show) is most close to the newer FTD soundboards i.e. Sold Out or 3000 Paradise Road

JEFF d
EP fan

Jeff:

Thanks so much for your response. By the way my motivation for asking the question is because I yet to have these releases and I am just curious so to what the sound is like. I am waiting for the 'Black Friday' sale to take advantage of the huge discounts since I am about to loose my job and probably will not find another one with the same pay. Even though I will have to settle for less money at the new job I will eventually find. I may not like settling for less money at this future job but its 'better then nothing'. Which is actually have I have always looked at the soundboards that we should never have had since they were never meant to be released. I love all these releases, even the rehearsals "Vegas to Hawaii" because they are 'better than nothing"

Burning Love

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Ack.

Be sure to ack Jeff, NOrrie! Deb and, r&b while ur at it ole chap!

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:11 pm

rollinson1 wrote:Jesus, all this crap about what's better than what. It's a soundboard that was recorded 43 years ago for gods sake. It isn't ever going to be audiophile quality. If your sitting there comparing you are not sitting there enjoying. To be honest if you collect all Elvis stuff how many times are you going to listen to this one or these two concerts in your lifetime. Not many would be my guess.
Paul

Not true for me what you said about listening very often. I listen to my concerts a lot. Poor excuse to say it doesn't matter because you're not going t listen very often anyway. I want to hear the different thoughts and they very a lot from sounding much better than to not sounding as good as the boots. FTD is great but I have not ordered these new ones yet and I want to hear what people think. Fake praise isn't going to help me. That's what the board is for. Let the people speak.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:37 pm

The Madison release employs heavy handed processing to filter out some of the mic overload on the Opening Night show. While less distortion might at first blush seem like a good thing, try doing an a/b comparison between the Madison and the FTD.

On the FTD, you will notice that Anesini lets the master tape breath and presents it in an honest way -- clear and dynamic.

The Madison (which may be from a dub source) is a compressed, muffled muddle and has highs filtered out in order to cut down on the mic overload.

People are also saying that Elvis' voice is more forward on the FTD. This appears to be a mono source, however. So how could Elvis be higher in the mix? ==>

What I believe people are hearing is that the Madison used very heavy compression to bring the instruments and Elvis' voice to a comparable level (which eliminates dynamic range), whereas the FTD features the natural dynamic range on the tape as Porter recorded it.

The Madison, as a result, has no dynamics and no transients. High fatiguing.

The FTD is sourced from the master tapes and features an honest representation of said tapes in the best possible fidelity. The Madison does not.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:22 pm

L Ray wrote:
Paul

Not true for me what you said about listening very often. I listen to my concerts a lot. Poor excuse to say it doesn't matter because you're not going t listen very often anyway. I want to hear the different thoughts and they very a lot from sounding much better than to not sounding as good as the boots. FTD is great but I have not ordered these new ones yet and I want to hear what people think. Fake praise isn't going to help me. That's what the board is for. Let the people speak.

So true, if you are not going to listen to it very often, why buy it? I don't buy things to gather dust on a shelf, or for the sake of collecting. Those days are long over. Talk to the guy who has over 600 cds. Now there is someone who is not going to play them very often! Me? I buy it to play it, if I don't like it or am not satisfied, I sell it. I'd rather use the money for something else. Its a very simple philosophy.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:The Madison release employs heavy handed processing to filter out some of the mic overload on the Opening Night show. While less distortion might at first blush seem like a good thing, try doing an a/b comparison between the Madison and the FTD.

On the FTD, you will notice that Anesini lets the master tape breath and presents it in an honest way -- clear and dynamic.

The Madison (which may be from a dub source) is a compressed, muffled muddle and has highs filtered out in order to cut down on the mic overload.

People are also saying that Elvis' voice is more forward on the FTD. This appears to be a mono source, however. So how could Elvis be higher in the mix? ==>

What I believe people are hearing is that the Madison used very heavy compression to bring the instruments and Elvis' voice to a comparable level (which eliminates dynamic range), whereas the FTD features the natural dynamic range on the tape as Porter recorded it.

The FTD is sourced from the master tapes and features an honest representation of said tapes in the best possible fidelity. The Madison does not.

...And not one mention about the Re-Booked Box release (Backdraft Label). :facep:

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:24 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:The Madison release employs heavy handed processing to filter out some of the mic overload on the Opening Night show. While less distortion might at first blush seem like a good thing, try doing an a/b comparison between the Madison and the FTD.

...And not one mention about the Re-Booked Box release (Backdraft Label). :facep:

A tear?

There is no need, as Rebooked just used the Madison CDs for their re-release of 1-26-1970 OS and 2-23-1970 CS.

;-)

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

A tear?

There is no need, as Rebooked just used the Madison CDs for their re-release of 1-26-1970 OS and 2-23-1970 CS.

;-)

Backdraft used completely different sources from what Madison used, hence the huge difference in sound quality.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 am

...to my way of thinking the closing show is much better show and now in its best possible sound, that show/cd will be getting many spins from me. For the price paid I just look at the opening show as a bonus... and no I do not agree that it is a better listen than Madison release.

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:...And not one mention about the Re-Booked Box release (Backdraft Label). :facep:

A tear?

;-)

Backdraft used completely different sources from what Madison used, hence the huge difference in sound quality.

Nope. They used the afore-mentioned CDs, and there was no "huge" difference.

Have a nice day. ;-)

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:58 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:Great sound on G.I Blues Vol 2. A very enjoyable release. Great to have the recently found acetate of 'Shopping Around' tk14 too. G.I Blues insert ending with Elvis telling Hal Wallis he missed the ending (take 7/M). "Frankfort Special" remake CD-2 has hints of "Mystery Train"

Love the artwork and all the photos -

image.jpg

image.jpg

BTW, after listening to that take of G.I. Blues, we now know it was Hal Wallis who said "If you crack, it will be a new world record." following one of the false starts of the first version of "Pocketful of Rainbows", as first heard on 1991's "Collector's Gold" .

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Mike C wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Great sound on G.I Blues Vol 2. A very enjoyable release. Great to have the recently found acetate of 'Shopping Around' tk14 too. G.I Blues insert ending with Elvis telling Hal Wallis he missed the ending (take 7/M). "Frankfort Special" remake CD-2 has hints of "Mystery Train"

Love the artwork and all the photos -

image.jpg

image.jpg

BTW, after listening to that take of G.I. Blues, we now know it was Hal Wallis who said "If you crack, it will be a new world record." following one of the false starts of the first version of "Pocketful of Rainbows", as first heard on 1991's "Collector's Gold" .

Thanx! That alt take is my favorite version of "Pocketful of Rainbows".