Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New FTD's delivered

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Mike C wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Really do love the instrumentals on CD-2. Also it is amazing to hear the "Frankfort Special" takes sounding like 'Mystery Train' - and surprising that Elvis doesn't start singing, "train I'll ride" - nonetheless the formal tone of the sessions may have been a factor...

So Scotty borrowed from himself to come up with the Frankfort Special lick.

Whoa! WHOA! Whoa! WHOA!
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoooooa.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2346&p=19413#p19413
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23623&p=280411#p280411
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44091&p=599063#p599063

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 pm

voldto wrote:how do the sound on the opening and closing show compare to the other releases?

easy much better- fuller/cleaner more ambient, better intrumentation sounds from the band/orchestra and Elvis's Vocals ...CLEARLY a much better sound!~ :D

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Finally home, able to listen for the first time! Thank you Ernst, Roger and everybody else involved in these projects! It's such a thrill listening to these CD's! My fav Las Vegas season and suprisingly good sounding soundboards! I was surprised how well Elvis handled It's Now Or Never!
G. I. Blues: It's such fun listening through those CD's. It may not be rock'n roll, but the whole aura around these sessions, the wonderful sound and not least Elvis himself.
To me this is simply great, easy listening! I love that Whistelling Blues track. Wonder how it would have been with an Elvis vocal in there! Great stuff! FTD is the best thing that ever happened to us, the fans! :)

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 pm

:D Yes in these 2 FTD cases maybe the WAIT was indeed worthwhile!~ :D

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:11 am

bajo wrote:Finally home, able to listen for the first time! Thank you Ernst, Roger and everybody else involved in these projects! It's such a thrill listening to these CD's! My fav Las Vegas season and suprisingly good sounding soundboards! I was surprised how well Elvis handled It's Now Or Never!
G. I. Blues: It's such fun listening through those CD's. It may not be rock'n roll, but the whole aura around these sessions, the wonderful sound and not least Elvis himself.
To me this is simply great, easy listening! I love that Whistelling Blues track. Wonder how it would have been with an Elvis vocal in there! Great stuff! FTD is the best thing that ever happened to us, the fans! :)

What is surprising about Elvis, in great voice, doing a great job on Now Or Never? I agree it is a fine version and I enjoy it, but I'm hardly surprised. I suppose some think we had to wait until the later '70's, when his voice got richer and more operatic.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:02 am

stevelecher wrote:
bajo wrote:Finally home, able to listen for the first time! Thank you Ernst, Roger and everybody else involved in these projects! It's such a thrill listening to these CD's! My fav Las Vegas season and suprisingly good sounding soundboards! I was surprised how well Elvis handled It's Now Or Never!

What is surprising about Elvis, in great voice, doing a great job on Now Or Never? I agree it is a fine version and I enjoy it, but I'm hardly surprised. I suppose some think we had to wait until the later '70's, when his voice got richer and more operatic.

Yes and how silly for us to think like that when he was already singing like that in 1960, when he first recorded it.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:40 pm

:smt002
L Ray wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

Yes and how silly for us to think like that when he was already singing like that in 1960, when he first recorded it.

That's right. He's got that big voice on G.I Blues...

Just love the songs in the movie and Juliet Prowse. So sad she passed away at only 59 years.

image.jpg

Photo From the excellent book ELVIS: FROM MEMPHIS TO HOLLYWOOD by David English.
For more G.I Blues info...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:25 am

I'm a little disappointed the acoustic version of "Big Boots" was not included in Volume 2. So here's hoping for a GI Blues Volume 3 deluxe.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:06 pm

an oversight? or will there vol.3?

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:02 pm

:D listened to Wooden Heart instrumental at least 20 times today!~ :P :roll: :wink: 8) :lol:

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

TCB-FAN wrote:I'm a little disappointed the acoustic version of "Big Boots" was not included in Volume 2. So here's hoping for a GI Blues Volume 3 deluxe.

Shhhhhh!, don' say it loud or you'll be acussed for putting down the FTD label :wink:. How dare you..... smt174. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Weird thing..the new Venus is out and not one complain about the fact that besides a bit studio banter and perhaps the take 7 of sylvia nothing is new..all other is just pc-remixed or taken from FTD..or from previous bootlegs..or whatever..when a FTD comes out..every tiny bit is being critized immeditaly or even before release..just saying..

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:37 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:I'm a little disappointed the acoustic version of "Big Boots" was not included in Volume 2. So here's hoping for a GI Blues Volume 3 deluxe.

matilda wrote:an oversight? or will there vol.3?

The master of "Big Boots" (M1O-X Take 2) probably wasn't on Volume 2 because it was already included on Volume 1

Keith

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Weird thing..the new Venus is out and not one complain about the fact that besides a bit studio banter and perhaps the take 7 of sylvia nothing is new..all other is just pc-remixed or taken from FTD..or from previous bootlegs..or whatever..when a FTD comes out..every tiny bit is being critized immeditaly or even before release..just saying..

VENUS has proven over and over again that they provide unreleased stuff and not just "pc-remixed" crap.
All other volumes has something new and unreleased......this label are the only one giving us something good while all others
just re-issues old stuff/poor audience recordings.

For me Venus and some Legacy/FTDs are the only CDs worth buying.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Keith wrote:

matilda wrote:an oversight? or will there vol.3?

The master of "Big Boots" (M1O-X Take 2) probably wasn't on Volume 2 because it was already included on Volume 1

Keith

Thanks Keith for pointing that out. People here need to investigate a little before they make false statements.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:24 pm

KingElvis wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Weird thing..the new Venus is out and not one complain about the fact that besides a bit studio banter and perhaps the take 7 of sylvia nothing is new..all other is just pc-remixed or taken from FTD..or from previous bootlegs..or whatever..when a FTD comes out..every tiny bit is being critized immeditaly or even before release..just saying..

VENUS has proven over and over again that they provide unreleased stuff and not just "pc-remixed" crap.
All other volumes has something new and unreleased......this label are the only one giving us something good while all others
just re-issues old stuff/poor audience recordings.

For me Venus and some Legacy/FTDs are the only CDs worth buying.

Minor points..They often don`t fill the whole space of a disc...meaning more volumes.
No booklets...wrong take numbers (see Keep Rolling On)...new material is often just studio
banter..or longer fade lout..or as in this case..next to nothing new besides a dubious take 7 of Sylvia..

I just want to point out that even the much praised Venus label has its shortcomings..no one talks about this..When a new FTD is out..the complainers fill the first 5 rows immediatly..

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:01 pm

oh yes (i knew) Venus cd's give very little new..... but i buy this just for a few crumbs....
G.I.Blues set certainly pleases me the excellent stereo sound~! :D

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:13 am

am a bit dissapointed with the opening show. just got it and listened to the first 20 mins or so. elvis' vocal way up front. everything else quiet and the sound is quite shrill. listen to the sweets on proud mary. headache city. the boot is a bit more pleasing to the ear. oh well. its a soundboard. they are what they are. never do listen to soundboards often.

Re: AW: New FTD's delivered

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 am

Unfortunately there are no better sources..

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:41 am

Kylan wrote:am a bit dissapointed with the opening show. just got it and listened to the first 20 mins or so. elvis' vocal way up front. everything else quiet and the sound is quite shrill. listen to the sweets on proud mary. headache city. the boot is a bit more pleasing to the ear. oh well. its a soundboard. they are what they are. never do listen to soundboards often.

...that's exactly how I felt Kylan, but the closing show more than makes up for it! Its a stunning show in fantastic sound! They have really worked a miracle on it!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:43 am

Kylan wrote:am a bit dissapointed with the opening show. just got it and listened to the first 20 mins or so. elvis' vocal way up front. everything else quiet and the sound is quite shrill. listen to the sweets on proud mary. headache city. the boot is a bit more pleasing to the ear. oh well. its a soundboard. they are what they are. never do listen to soundboards often.

I agree. I thinks it's a tough listen. I will probably sell it. I don't keep anything I cant enjoy.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:56 am

r&b wrote:

I agree. I thinks it's a tough listen. I will probably sell it. I don't keep anything I cant enjoy.

The closing show sounds good though.

I do agree that the opening show is a much better listen on the Madison boot.

norrie

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:02 am

JEFF d wrote:

...that's exactly how I felt Kylan, but the closing show more than makes up for it! Its a stunning show in fantastic sound! They have really worked a miracle on it!

JEFF d
EP fan

looking forward to it! and ill give it a couple more spins to be fair but i was in a hurry and listened to it in the car. ill do a listen on my home theater when i get the chance

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:16 am

I feel BOTH shows sound much better on these FTD releases :D

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:02 am

...the opening show on FTD is not unlistenable, but go listen to the Madison release of the opening show again its the better of the two. :D

JEFF d
EP fan