New FTD's delivered

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Rob

Re: New FTD's delivered

Post by Rob »

poormadpeter wrote:There is nothing embarrassing about Little Darlin' in the context of a show. Elvis did the song as a lighthearted bit of fun, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I agree. But then again, I have never been embarrassed by anything Elvis put on an album post the movie soundtracks. There are songs that I don't like as much as I do others, but I have never been embarrassed by anything recorded by Elvis beyond the movie years.

I dig the man's music.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

1391806_525170777573577_632828736_n.jpg
1385636_525170680906920_1646055995_n.jpg
1385352_525170714240250_2055067261_n.jpg
923385_525170750906913_1371745534_n.jpg
:D Love it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

r&b

Post by r&b »

L Ray wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:There is nothing embarrassing about Little Darlin' in the context of a show. Elvis did the song as a lighthearted bit of fun, and there's nothing wrong with that - his humour was always rather silly anyway. Even on a live album it would have made sense, but Moody Blue was a "serious" album and so it sits uncomfortably on there. That said, I still think Moody Blue was a considerable step up from E P Boulevard - there is nothing here that finds Elvis's voice in such bad shape as Never Again, Love Coming Down and others, and the (mostly) country feel of the album hangs together well.

I was thrilled to have Little Darlin on there.
In the context of the show, I agree , its a lighthearted moment for those in attendance to enjoy. To include it as a track on a major album release its ridiculous and shows just how little RCA was able to get out of the studio from Elvis. It doesn't belong on the album IMO. Moody Blue was one of the most hodge podge releases of his career. There are Camdens that are better albums.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

r&b wrote:
L Ray wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:There is nothing embarrassing about Little Darlin' in the context of a show. Elvis did the song as a lighthearted bit of fun, and there's nothing wrong with that - his humour was always rather silly anyway. Even on a live album it would have made sense, but Moody Blue was a "serious" album and so it sits uncomfortably on there. That said, I still think Moody Blue was a considerable step up from E P Boulevard - there is nothing here that finds Elvis's voice in such bad shape as Never Again, Love Coming Down and others, and the (mostly) country feel of the album hangs together well.

I was thrilled to have Little Darlin on there.
Moody Blue was one of the most hodge podge releases of his career. There are Camdens that are better albums.
Dont agree with this at all.
I have always enjoyed this release.....even today and I cant wait for the FTD edition.
This album is one of the few that I really like the overdubs done by FJ (70s).......even the silly LD works for me.....but the soundboard versions does not.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

Rob wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:There is nothing embarrassing about Little Darlin' in the context of a show. Elvis did the song as a lighthearted bit of fun, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I agree. But then again, I have never been embarrassed by anything Elvis put on an album post the movie soundtracks. There are songs that I don't like as much as I do others, but I have never been embarrassed by anything recorded by Elvis beyond the movie years.

I dig the man's music.
Old McDonald, Queenie Wahine's Papaya, Yoga Is As Yoga Does. These songs don't make you cringe or feel embarrassed especially with other people in the room?

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

TINML wrote:
Rob wrote:

I dig the man's music.
Old McDonald, Queenie Wahine's Papaya, Yoga Is As Yoga Does. These songs don't make you cringe or feel embarrassed especially with other people in the room?
I don't feel embarresed..

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Rob

Post by Rob »

TINML wrote:Old McDonald, Queenie Wahine's Papaya, Yoga Is As Yoga Does. These songs don't make you cringe or feel embarrassed especially with other people in the room?
Read my post again, and pay attention this time.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

Rob wrote:
TINML wrote:Old McDonald, Queenie Wahine's Papaya, Yoga Is As Yoga Does. These songs don't make you cringe or feel embarrassed especially with other people in the room?
You don't have to be such a dick, do you?

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Rob

Post by Rob »

Sometimes.

But you can call me Richard if you'd like.

InheritTheWind

Post by InheritTheWind »

TINML wrote:
Rob wrote:
You don't have to be such a dick, do you?
Awwww. That's just Rob being funny. He does that to everyone. He's just playing!
Rob is one of the few people here who consistently makes me LOL. Laughing out loud is one thing but to LOL is major.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Please don't tell everyone that.

Everyone, please ignore InheritTheWind's post. I don't fool around when it comes to this board. I take it very seriously! I am never "just playing."

TINML got it completely right. I am indeed -- a dick.

InheritTheWind

Post by InheritTheWind »

Rob wrote:Please don't tell everyone that.

Everyone, please ignore InheritTheWind's post. I don't fool around when it comes to this board. I take it very seriously! I am never "just playing."

You don't have to be a dick about it. :wink:

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

How long have you been a private eye?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Don't worry, there are a couple of others who deserve the title more than you!

Rob

Post by Rob »

Who would they be?

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Johnny2523 wrote:
1391806_525170777573577_632828736_n.jpg
1385636_525170680906920_1646055995_n.jpg
1385352_525170714240250_2055067261_n.jpg
923385_525170750906913_1371745534_n.jpg
:D Love it
That's fabulous.

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by L Ray »

a mess of polk salad wrote:
L Ray wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Just listening to G.I. Blues FTD and must say it sounds fabulous. CD-1 and the remixed master takes sound smooth.

Great version of "Doin The Best I Can," which following on from Vol 1 is more of the same with the great Jordanaires.
"Frankfurt Special" has the "let's get started before this train runs out of juice" line on the breakdown.

The booklet is gorgeous with great photos too:
image.jpg

Thanks for the info. How is that take 14 of Shoppin Around?
Take 14? Ah yes! It speeds along at a jaunty pace - enjoyable!
Love the instrumentals on CD-2. "Whistling Blues"with it's super jazz/blues guitar.

You know - G.I Blues the movie was never a favourite. However since the first vol 1, and now this excellent FTD VOL 2 - the period has become one of my favourite periods. Just fascinating and fantastic music.
image.jpg

Thanks for getting back. I'm really looking forward to getting this one real soon as well as the On Stage. My old Madisons will go on ebay someday soon.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rob wrote:Who would they be?
Bad boy!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

How many times i had the shows before... several times.

The original Baxters("Walk a mile in.." and "Electryfying") and "True love travels".. (Laurel).. exiting times, to hear it the first time ever!!
"Rock in black"(SR Records) for the combined opening night..."Closing night" (Graceland) for the combined closing show.
Nice to have.

The two Madison versions; until then, the go to versions.

Rebooked at the International;(Backdraft) cool box, different sounding then the Madisons and nice extras.

And now, i'm expecting them on this FTD....
Altough the shows are bootlegged many times before, i still will get them, even when the sound is slightly improved.

I envy you guys who does'nt heard these shows before though, you are in for a treat!!

JohanD

Ales Majer
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Ales Majer »

TINML wrote: Old McDonald, Queenie Wahine's Papaya, Yoga Is As Yoga Does. These songs don't make you cringe or feel embarrassed especially with other people in the room?
Hey! Queenie Wahinee is ACE! :o

Can't wait for my albums to arrive. The pictures of the packages (G.I. Blues 2 and On Stage season) look absolutely gorgeous! :P

a mess of polk salad

Great sound on G.I Blues Vol 2. A very enjoyable release. Great to have the recently found acetate of 'Shopping Around' tk14 too. G.I Blues insert ending with Elvis telling Hal Wallis he missed the ending (take 7/M). "Frankfort Special" remake CD-2 has hints of "Mystery Train"

Love the artwork and all the photos -
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob

Post by Rob »

a mess of polk salad wrote:"Frankfort Special" remake CD-2 has hints of "Mystery Train"
I wondered if anyone else would pick up on that. He could have easily gone into "Mystery Train" with that intro, and I kept waiting for him to.

monkboughtlunch
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by monkboughtlunch »

G.I. Blues Vol 2 sounds phenomenal, and is the best I have heard this material ever sound! Very warm, dynamic with a liquid clarity. Fantastic mixes and mastering. The credits note it was "mixed by Vic Anesini." "Mastered by Sebastian Jeansson and Vic Anesini." FTD has really been on a roll lately.

Looking forward to the American Sound Vol 3 -- will that be 2 discs or 1?
Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a mess of polk salad

Rob wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:"Frankfort Special" remake CD-2 has hints of "Mystery Train"
I wondered if anyone else would pick up on that. He could have easily gone into "Mystery Train" with that intro, and I kept waiting for him to.
Yes wish he had gone into it...

norrie
Registered for: 20 years

Post by norrie »

Enjoying G.I.Blues vol 2 right now.It's never been a favourite of mine yet I find my foot is involuntary tapping along to the music and I couldn't help but sing along to Didja Ever.Perhaps if Elvis had only done two or three of these lighthearted musicals (Gi Blues,Blue Hawaii,Viva Las Vegas maybe)they would be held in higher esteem instead of being buried in the formula.Hindsight and what if's notwithstanding.
Along with vol 1 a great package from FTD with fantastic sound,even the outtakes have been worked on with great care.
Love the colour coded In and Outtakes in the booklet making it very easy to follow.
There are even pictures of the sheet music to get poormadpeter all excited !

norrie