Danny, King Creole

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
poormadpeter

Re: Danny, King Creole

Post by poormadpeter »

Pink&Black wrote:A couple of days ago I watched King Creole ( thanks again Keninlincs :D) Last time I watched it was before my vcr broke down, back in 1912. Always one of my favorite Elvis movies, I was wondering where 'Danny' would've fitted in? You hear an instrumental version of the song at the end as Danny returns to the King Creole. But was this song ever filmed for the movie?
Not sure, to be honest. However, the Paramount films are in dire need of an upgrade, most notably King Creole - I'm not sure that there has yet been a version on VHS or DVD that has been framed correctly. It always appears to me that the frame has been cropped at the top - you lose some of Elvis hair/head during Trouble, for example, but the issue is present throughout the film. I really can't believe that Curtiz would have framed the action in that way, it simply doesn't make sense, so the issue is presumably with the DVD.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Pink&Black wrote:A couple of days ago I watched King Creole ( thanks again Keninlincs :D) Last time I watched it was before my vcr broke down, back in 1912. Always one of my favorite Elvis movies, I was wondering where 'Danny' would've fitted in? You hear an instrumental version of the song at the end as Danny returns to the King Creole. But was this song ever filmed for the movie?
It may have been, as well as "Hard Headed Woman."

It would have been seen in a performance at the King Creole club, much like the title number that remains in the film.

Learn more more here:
King Creole on set and on Location (Revised New Photos)
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=78084

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It would have been seen in a performance at the King Creole club, much like the title number that remains in the film.

Learn more more here:
High chance its filmed, as you can hear the end of the song in the movie during the club scene

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

rjm

Post by rjm »

Does anyone know if they are working on this film for Blu-Ray?

Much desired!

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

rjm wrote:Does anyone know if they are working on this film for Blu-Ray?

Much desired!

rjm
i doubt it.. altough i dont know how many love me tender sold?

drjohncarpenter

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Learn more more here:
High chance its filmed, as you can hear the end of the song in the movie during the club scene
High chance? Not necessarily.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Don't care about Danny so much, but not seeing Hard Headed Woman performed in the film is one of the great mysteries (and lost chances)of Elvis' movies. It would have been spectacular.

Topic author
SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

Great question Pink&Black, the first time i thought about this was when i was a teen, when i bought my first copy of the December 1978 LP release of "A Legendary Performer, Volume 3. I did not know about this song before this album came out, and I really like that song, i had a friend at that time by that name, and I played this song for him, and "Bingo", he became a big fan from that day on. :D

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

You are welcome

-instagram kenh1964

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Maybe the lyrics were too complicated for "Hard Headed Woman" and they decided not to film it? Or Elvis was asynchronous with the lyrics? smt179

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Topic author
poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Pink&Black wrote:Thanks everyone for replying. Thank you Doc for referring me to the thread by Davide, awesome pictures. So both Hard Headed Woman and Danny were filmed, questions is, have they survived?
Considering the studio in question, the likelihood is sadly "no"

Topic author
SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

Pink&Black wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Maybe the lyrics were too complicated for "Hard Headed Woman" and they decided not to film it? Or Elvis was asynchronous with the lyrics? smt179

I always thought, since Elvis was asked by Michael Curtiz to lose the sideburns and to tone down his on stage movements, that maybe Curtiz thought Hard Headed Woman was just too wild?

Good point "Pink&Black" :wink:

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Pink&Black wrote:I always thought, since Elvis was asked by Michael Curtiz to lose the sideburns and to tone down his on stage movements...
That's interesting... I've never heard that about Michael Curtiz... is that comment noted in a book about Elvis or perhaps in the FTD book?

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Learn more more here:
i was reffering to ''Hard Headed Woman'' doc.

brian

Post by brian »

Was every song Elvis recorded for a film featured in the movie with a performance?

drjohncarpenter

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Learn more more here:
i was reffering to ''Hard Headed Woman'' doc.
I was referring to both songs in question.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jon_burrows

Post by jon_burrows »

Pink&Black wrote:...since Elvis was asked by Michael Curtiz to lose the sideburns and to tone down his on stage movements...
It's in Peter Guralnick's Last Train To Memphis.

Page 450 (softback)
"...Elvis was a little taken aback at first when Curtiz told him he would have to cut his sideburns and lose fifteen pounds for the role, ..."

Not sure about the "tone down his on stage movements", though.

Topic author
greystoke

Post by greystoke »

rjm wrote:Does anyone know if they are working on this film for Blu-Ray?

Much desired!

rjm
The distribution deal Warner Bros. has with Paramount to release over 600 of their catalogue titles makes the likelihood of a King Creole Blu-ray a distinct possibility. Olive Films have also leased the rights to numerous Paramount titles over the years, but currently don't own the rights to distribute any Presley pictures -- so the former is the most probable. All of the films Elvis made at Paramount come across as being in good condition without much obvious damage or dirt. So that's a plus. But a new transfer/HD scan would do wonders. Especially with any aspect ratio issues resolved.

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Pink&Black wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Maybe the lyrics were too complicated for "Hard Headed Woman" and they decided not to film it? Or Elvis was asynchronous with the lyrics? smt179

I always thought, since Elvis was asked by Michael Curtiz to lose the sideburns and to tone down his on stage movements, that maybe Curtiz thought Hard Headed Woman was just too wild?

I always thought Hal Wallis was behind not using "Hard Headed Woman" in the film. Wallis lobbied the Colonel hard for "King Creole" to be the featured single. When "Hard Headed Woman" was used instead, Wallis cut "Hard Headed Woman" from the film. Never again was the title of a Hal Wallis film used on a single by RCA. You don't mess with the Colonel.
MT

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

The camera negative is MIA. The best element is a 35mm fine grain which could yield a very good HD transfer.

The correct aspect ratio is 2:1.
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Oops, I was mistaken.

2.1 is the correct aspect ratio. Here's the official listing for exhibitors in Boxoffice magazine.

For more information on aspect ratios in the early years of widescreen, please visit:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

r&b wrote: but not seeing Hard Headed Woman performed in the film is one of the great mysteries (and lost chances)of Elvis' movies. It would have been spectacular.
This is pretty nice. Incidentally, the single version of Hard Headed Woman has much more reverb/echo, sounds great.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

mike edwards66 wrote:
r&b wrote: but not seeing Hard Headed Woman performed in the film is one of the great mysteries (and lost chances)of Elvis' movies. It would have been spectacular.
This is pretty nice. Incidentally, the single version of Hard Headed Woman has much more reverb/echo, sounds great.

Superb video.

It's so great that people spend the time and have the expertise (and software!) to create this sort of thing.

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Topic author
poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Oops, I was mistaken.

2.1 is the correct aspect ratio. Here's the official listing for exhibitors in Boxoffice magazine.

For more information on aspect ratios in the early years of widescreen, please visit:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation
How does this compare with the print we have on DVD? I confess that I'm not much good with the technical side of things beyond the basics. Would it be the reason for the odd framing we have had on VHS and DVD? My copy is part of a boxed set and simply says "widescreen" on the disc, but I think is the regular 1.85:1 - would this account for the loss of heads we have had on home video for years? It can be seen quite clearly on the little video Steve has linked to - when Elvis is performing (but at other point too), it's like we have lost the very top of the image - his hair goes out frame quite often, and sometimes even his forehead too. I'm sure that's not how it would have been filmed.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

2.1 is wider on screen with less height than 1.85:1.

It's very possible the widescreen transfer on the DVD is framed incorrectly. That happens quite often in telecine with sloppy operators.