Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Presley's Stereo Equipment ==> Mysteries Solved!

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:27 am

What stereo equipment did Elvis listen to at Graceland in the raquetball court and the "3 TV" room?

What follows is my best guess of the brands and specific model numbers based on comments from Bill Porter and my research on the Steve Hoffman forum: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/e ... nd.331614/

Bill Porter gave an interview and stated: http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/intervi ... HM0ca.dpbs

MF: Was Elvis a hi-fi fan? Did he have a bid system?

BP: I never went into his bedroom, but I put a really elaborate system in his racquetball court. He had big, three-way Electrovoice custom systems with 18-inch woofers. Of course, you couldn't turn it up too much in a racquetball court, because the sound would bounce around so much ...I was using Crown amps. I had it set up for radio, cassettes and records.

MF: Do you remember what turntable it was?

BP: No.

MF: That's healthy.

BP: I had a Crown IC 150 preamp and a Lux(man) tuner.

Porter tells us the exact model of preamp and names the brand of tuner. By comparing images to known products I was able to determine the amp model number and the tuner model number. Additionally, I was able to find the cassette deck brand and model number by sheer luck, due to the distinctive stripe on the wood cabinet and comparing it to vintage images.

Below: Presley's audio rack next to his upright piano in the Graceland Raquetball Court.

Raquetball Court Gear:

Crown DC300R Amplifier
Crown IC150 Preamp
Luxman Tuner (probably model T-310)
Cassette Deck: Tandberg Series TCD 300

Below: Crown DC300R Amplifier & Crown IC150 Preamp

Below: Luxman Tuner (probably model T-310)

Below:Cassette Deck: Tandberg Series TCD 300

Now let's turn to the TV room:

I was able to find a model on ebay that appears to be exact match for the stereo preamp/amplifier and tuner: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AM-FM-R ... 0728440777

TV Room:

RCA Victor New Vista Model MHT67W

Does anyone know the RCA turntable model number? Also, what is the equipment in the upper right and the 45 RPM device directly below it?

Re: Elvis Presley's Stereo Equipment ==> Mysteries Solved!

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:04 am

nice info,thanks

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:36 am

I've seen the turntable from Elvis's bedroom when the Graceland on Wheels came to Colorado. It is a Dual. It had the acetate of the Stamps latest album on it and it was what was on it the day he died. I've heard that the album on the TV room turntable the day he died was a Sam Cook album.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:27 am

Nice research. Thanks for sharing. There appears to be additional equipment besides what you list on the Raquetball set. What is the device directly under the tuner? Also between the amp and pre-amp there appears to be additional device.

His bedroom stereo set was listed in the Graceland inventory after his death. He had a Marantz amp, Teach tape deck and Dual record player in his bedroom. It doesn't say which speakers he had. Apparently during Jungle Room Sessions in 1976 Elvis had his bedroom speakers brought down because he felt the sound on the speakers RCA provided weren't good enough.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:51 am

Great topic.
Let's add the sound system installed in the Lisa Marie!
Not a lot I could find..

Elvis also included a conference room that was finished in teak and a videotape system that was linked to four TVs plus a stereo system that had fifty-two speakers. Hence, the aircraft combined the latest in technology with the elegance and grandeur of Graceland.

Its worth mentioning that Elvis himself picked the interior fabrics, the color schemes, the on-board audio-visual system

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Lisa Maries stereo control set is behind the chair in this pic. You can see one of the speakers under the table.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Elvis's upstairs office desk had a build-in stereo as seen in this pic from Gracelands VIP museum.

I believe the record player you can see on the left here is from his bedroom. This pic is too from Gracelands VIP museum.

Last edited by Marko on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Robert wrote:Great topic.
Not a lot I could find..

Elvis also included a conference room that was finished in teak and a videotape system that was linked to four TVs plus a stereo system that had fifty-two speakers. Hence, the aircraft combined the latest in technology with the elegance and grandeur of Graceland.

Its worth mentioning that Elvis himself picked the interior fabrics, the color schemes, the on-board audio-visual system

Bruce Jackson installed a new system in the Lisa Marie (personal expense cheque for $500 was signed by Elvis on 4 December 1976 and he told BJ not to talk about it so that Vernon wouldn't make a fuss) after Bruce flew the plane to Florida. I recall he told me he installed JDL speakers, not sure about the system. The "job" came about after one of the guys told Bruce that "The Boss "had summonsed him", and once reaching the Imperial Suite, Bruce went in to EP's bedroom and sat on Elvis' bed with him (whilst Elvis played with a gold handled gun). Elvis instructed Bruce to fix the "deleted - see guidelines #2 sound system in the deleted - see guidelines #2 plane...", as told to me by Bruce.
Bruce, who had recently received his pilots license, flew with the Lisa Marie crew (and flew the plane, I have a photo of him flying it from this date) to Florida (I have a few shots of the plane in a hanger down there.
Anyway, it wasn't until after the last Vegas engagement had finished that Elvis got to test the new plane sound system. Bruce said he was very nervous because Elvis had sledged him for the week leading up to the sound test.
As they flew back to wherever, EP decided to finally use the new system. To BJ's surprise, no music was played, but plenty of Monty Python was, particularly the Albatross skit
phpBB [video]

BJ said Elvis would sometimes reference this skit in concert in relation to what he "heard" from the audience calling his name from behind the band. This might explain the "borgaweil" reference Elvis makes to the "turn around gang" between See See Rider & I Got A Woman during the 21 June 1977 show.
Anyway, above is just a summation me and the banned from FECC Lucky Jackson (Kris P, Monkey Business forum) had with Bruce Jackson quite a few years ago.
Last edited by Jim Dandy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Nice info. That's one my favorite MP sketches along with the dead parrot sketch.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Very nice info and fantastic research. Thanks a lot.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:57 pm

The 'little' things.... thanks a lot!

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Marko wrote:Nice research. Thanks for sharing. There appears to be additional equipment besides what you list on the Raquetball set. What is the device directly under the tuner? Also between the amp and pre-amp there appears to be additional device.

Thanks! Based on my research, here is what I believe is in E's audio rack, from top to bottom:

Cassette: Tandberg TCD 300
Tuner: Luxman T-310
Output Control Console: Crown OC-150
Preamp: Crown IC150
Amp 1: Crown D150A
Amp 2: Crown DC300R

I listed these next to the gear in the image below for reference:

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:
Robert wrote:Great topic.
Not a lot I could find..

Bruce Jackson installed a new system in the Lisa Marie (personal expense cheque for $500 was signed by Elvis on 4 December 1976 and he told BJ not to talk about it so that Vernon wouldn't make a fuss) after Bruce flew the plane to Florida. I recall he told me he installed JDL speakers, not sure about the system. The "job" came about after one of the guys told Bruce that "The Boss "had summonsed him", and once reaching the Imperial Suite, Bruce went in to EP's bedroom and sat on Elvis' bed with him (whilst Elvis played with a gold handled gun). Elvis instructed Bruce to fix the "deleted - see guidelines #2 sound system in the deleted - see guidelines #2 plane...", as told to me by Bruce.
Bruce, who had recently received his pilots license, flew with the Lisa Marie crew (and flew the plane, I have a photo of him flying it from this date) to Florida (I have a few shots of the plane in a hanger down there.
Anyway, it wasn't until after the last Vegas engagement had finished that Elvis got to test the new plane sound system. Bruce said he was very nervous because Elvis had sledged him for the week leading up to the sound test.
As they flew back to wherever, EP decided to finally use the new system. To BJ's surprise, no music was played, but plenty of Monty Python was, particularly the Albatross skit
phpBB [video]

BJ said Elvis would sometimes reference this skit in concert in relation to what he "heard" from the audience calling his name from behind the band. This might explain the "borgaweil" reference Elvis makes to the "turn around gang" between See See Rider & I Got A Woman during the 21 June 1977 show.
Anyway, above is just a summation me and the banned from FECC Lucky Jackson (Kris P, Monkey Business forum) had with Bruce Jackson quite a few years ago.

Correction on the Lisa Marie speakers. They are "JBL" Studio Monitors, quite common in recording studios and radio stations.

BTW, for all the fancy equipment that filled the racquetball court, Elvis also had a very standard intercom/radio system. The main control panel is just inside the front door of the building. (I have the same panel in my house, which was built only about 7 years later.)

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Nice topic......thanks for sharing.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Close up of the Lisa Marie stereo system
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:35 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:
Marko wrote:Nice research. Thanks for sharing. There appears to be additional equipment besides what you list on the Raquetball set. What is the device directly under the tuner? Also between the amp and pre-amp there appears to be additional device.

Thanks! Based on my research, here is what I believe is in E's audio rack, from top to bottom:

Cassette: Tandberg TCD 300
Tuner: Luxman T-310
Output Control Console: Crown OC-150
Preamp: Crown IC150
Amp 1: Crown D150A
Amp 2: Crown DC300R

I listed these next to the gear in the image below for reference:

Very nice. Thanks again. That's some heavy duty hifi.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:56 pm

How much would it cost to put this system together today? Its still top of the line equipment.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks for the research and info you did monkboughtlunch i like any and all things that were part of Elvis personal life as well. 8)

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:04 am

Marko wrote:Close up of the Lisa Marie stereo system

Nice catch!

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:33 am

Marko wrote:Close up of the Lisa Marie stereo system

Here's my best guess on the two visible components of the Lisa Marie stereo system:

Lisa Marie Airplane

SAE Mark 1B Preamp / Equalizer
Pioneer H22 8-Track Tape Player

Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:41 am

Interesting! Nice detective work. Thanks

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:42 am

They sure don't make pre-amps like they used to.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:50 am

Marko wrote:His bedroom stereo set was listed in the Graceland inventory after his death. He had a Marantz amp, Teach tape deck and Dual record player in his bedroom. It doesn't say which speakers he had. Apparently during Jungle Room Sessions in 1976 Elvis had his bedroom speakers brought down because he felt the sound on the speakers RCA provided weren't good enough.

Any model numbers or photographs of the Marantz, Teac and Dual?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:15 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:
Marko wrote:His bedroom stereo set was listed in the Graceland inventory after his death. He had a Marantz amp, Teach tape deck and Dual record player in his bedroom. It doesn't say which speakers he had. Apparently during Jungle Room Sessions in 1976 Elvis had his bedroom speakers brought down because he felt the sound on the speakers RCA provided weren't good enough.

Elvis' bedroom Dual turntable:

For a top view go here:

http://elvisinthe70s.tumblr.com/post/88 ... ugust-1977

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:19 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:

Unfortunately the inventory didn't state any model numbers.