Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How do you collect your Elvis music?

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:50 pm

With fans from different generations, I was wondering how you collect your Elvis music?
Are you collecting the old fashioned records and cd's or are you just downloading Elvis music?

Re: How do you collect your Elvis music?

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:06 pm

I don't download anything. I want that little shiny silver CD sitting on my shelf. When they stop releasing the CDs, my collecting days will be over. I still have CDs that I have yet to listen to.

I'm gonna LOVE my retirement someday.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:13 pm

I have been collecting Elvis Vinyl Records since i was 10 years old, and i have every single Vintage 45, EP, LP, issued from 1954~1977, also some 78's and all 5 SUN (45)Records, that i bought thru a private collector. I have also amassed a very large collection of CD's, i have not had the need to download as yet, i really enjoy collecting the Vinyl and CD, i need that avid collecting fix, and i just really love seeing them in my hands and on display in my Elvis room. :D

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:42 pm

I do some of each.

I have a pristine vinyl copy of Aloha that I need to purchase a player for.

I have volumes of CDs, some I have bought at Graceland, some online (half.com, etc.), some at used record stores.

I also have purchased a few things on iTunes that were either cheaper or not available. When I first started collecting Elvis music one of the first things I purchased was the "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" box set. I used iTunes to buy some of the songs that weren't included on that set - things like "Padre", "Honky Tonk Angel" and "Spanish Eyes." Of course now I've bought those songs a few times over with other CDs I've purchased.

My entire collection is saved in iTunes and is backed up to multiple DVDs. I went through the loss of a few CDs back in the day and I don't want to go through that again.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:42 pm

I agree with Rob, I don't download anything. I miss the days of old when you enjoyed reading the album covers and would proudly line them up to admire your collection and the beautiful photographs of Elvis. I used to feel guilty for not playing my newest CD's immediately, but in time, I'll listen to each and every one of them. So glad I discovered this messageboard about 10 yrs ago. ::rocks

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Same as Rob. Absolutely the same.

Collectors always want the hardware. Collectors don't collect bits and bytes. You can't touch, feel, smell, sell or (hardly) trade bits and bytes. 1 and 0 don't thrill.

(Doesn't mean I wouldn't download the Pittsburgh soundboard for example, if it wouldn't be available anywhere else)

http://www.rare-elvis.de/

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Rob wrote:I don't download anything. I want that little shiny silver CD sitting on my shelf. When they stop releasing the CDs, my collecting days will be over. I still have CDs that I have yet to listen to.

yehhhhhhhh :smt006 :smt006 :smt006

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

SUN-RCA wrote:I have been collecting Elvis Vinyl Records since i was 10 years old, and i have every single Vintage 45, EP, LP, issued from 1954~1977, also some 78's and all 5 SUN (45)Records, that i bought thru a private collector. I have also amassed a very large collection of CD's, i have not had the need to download as yet, i really enjoy collecting the Vinyl and CD, i need that avid collecting fix, and i just really love seeing them in my hands and on display in my Elvis room. :D

Shhh! :wink:. Don´t say it loud or one individual over here will tell you have to correct your obsessive collecting habit :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:39 pm

No downloads and my days of collecting vinyl are long over. I have all the original releases but they are put away and not played.
CDs only for playing.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

SUN-RCA wrote:I have been collecting Elvis Vinyl Records since i was 10 years old, and i have every single Vintage 45, EP, LP, issued from 1954~1977, also some 78's and all 5 SUN (45)Records, that i bought thru a private collector. I have also amassed a very large collection of CD's, i have not had the need to download as yet, i really enjoy collecting the Vinyl and CD, i need that avid collecting fix, and i just really love seeing them in my hands and on display in my Elvis room. :D

Shhh! :wink:. Don´t say it loud or one individual over here will tell you have to correct your obsessive collecting habit :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Hi Mike, here is a little history of my obbsession of being an avid Elvis colletor.

When i was a young teen i would walk or ride my bike almost every day to the Used Record Shop, and would spend a couple of hours going thru all the Elvis Records, and buy what i could with my meager pay from working odd jobs around my town.

When got out of School and had my first full time job, i would go to the Record Shop every Friday on pay day, and spend alot of my pay on Elvis Records, I had to have not only the first pressed issue of every Elvis record, but every re-issue also, and after years of collecting, my Vinyl collection is complete, except for the 78's.

The Used Record Shop that i have built most of my Vintage Vinyl Records from is still here, and owned by the same owner who has owned it since the 1950's, and has one of the largest collection of Elvis 45's, EP's and LP Vinyl Records that would make any avid Elvis Record collector react like this :smt119 :smt120 :smt118

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:50 am

I don't download Elvis material either - although it has to be said that, if FTDs were available to download on iTunes etc, I would probably download the interesting tracks from the ones I don't buy (if there was a soundboard with 1 or 2 more interesting selections, for example).

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:43 am

Sun-RCA - where is this record shop of yours? I'd love to drop by.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:11 am

joekro1977 wrote:Sun-RCA - where is this record shop of yours? I'd love to drop by.

Hi "joekro1977"

Massachusetts.

If you ever decide to come up this way, send me a PM, and i will be glad to meet up with you and take you there, the owners name is Skip, great ole 80 year old Gentleman.

When Elvis first made it big in 1956, Skip loved everything about him, he always saved 2 new copies from each box of new Elvis Records that came in with his shipments to his Record Shop, he would open one copy to play and keep the 2nd copy sealed, he has done this with many other favorite singers of his.

He is like a 2nd Grandfather to me, and i have been to his home many times since i was a kid, and to see his private Elvis collection is mind boggling, Skip is the man who helped me put my collection together since i was 10 years old. :smt020

Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:26 am

Rob wrote:I don't download anything. I want that little shiny silver CD sitting on my shelf. When they stop releasing the CDs, my collecting days will be over. I still have CDs that I have yet to listen to.

Same here Rob!

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks guys for your answers. Iam like most of you....collect records, cd's and anything else with Elvis music on it....I also download....pure for the fact to have it already....and later on I will buy the original. With the amount of cd's (legal and illegal)it is sometimes too much to buy everything that will be released ....so downloading will keep me up-to-date.....

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:24 am

Sun Hero wrote:Thanks guys for your answers. Iam like most of you....collect records, cd's and anything else with Elvis music on it....I also download....pure for the fact to have it already....and later on I will buy the original. With the amount of cd's (legal and illegal)it is sometimes too much to buy everything that will be released ....so downloading will keep me up-to-date.....
Now, I stick to FTD first, collecting all the Classic series and avoiding the soundboards, minus a few exceptions. I would hope to see more footages too from the movies. I also collect Sony releases, once a year when they come up with something "new" around the August Elvis Week.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:06 am

In a pinch, I'll buy an oddball track from a soundtrack, like "Sand Castles," because it's so much easier than ripping the vinyl, or hunting down the CD its on. $0.99, and it's on the IPod. Kinda lazy. I have it already, but makes it easy to enjoy when the moment strikes.

And I have downloaded things by other artists. No full albums except two: Lisa's latest with deluxe booklet in pdf, and "The Last Castrato," Allesandro Moreschi (sp??) which I have on vinyl. I think it might have been worked on a bit to try to upgrade the sound. I had to have that! (I could have bought the CD, but I wanted it right then. What if it slipped out of print or something? Poor excuse, but I didn't see the harm.)

Otherwise, I am hoping for lossless file downloads for FTDs. In choice of formats.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:29 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

SUN-RCA wrote:
joekro1977 wrote:Sun-RCA - where is this record shop of yours? I'd love to drop by.

Hi "joekro1977"

Massachusetts.

If you ever decide to come up this way, send me a PM, and i will be glad to meet up with you and take you there, the owners name is Skip, great ole 80 year old Gentleman.

When Elvis first made it big in 1956, Skip loved everything about him, he always saved 2 new copies from each box of new Elvis Records that came in with his shipments to his Record Shop, he would open one copy to play and keep the 2nd copy sealed, he has done this with many other favorite singers of his.

He is like a 2nd Grandfather to me, and i have been to his home many times since i was a kid, and to see his private Elvis collection is mind boggling, Skip is the man who helped me put my collection together since i was 10 years old. :smt020

Cool, thanks for sharing! ::rocks. Do you happen to have the website or the name of the record shop? :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:04 pm

SUN-RCA wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Hi Mike, here is a little history of my obbsession of being an avid Elvis colletor.

When i was a young teen i would walk or ride my bike almost every day to the Used Record Shop, and would spend a couple of hours going thru all the Elvis Records, and buy what i could with my meager pay from working odd jobs around my town.

When got out of School and had my first full time job, i would go to the Record Shop every Friday on pay day, and spend alot of my pay on Elvis Records, I had to have not only the first pressed issue of every Elvis record, but every re-issue also, and after years of collecting, my Vinyl collection is complete, except for the 78's.

The Used Record Shop that i have built most of my Vintage Vinyl Records from is still here, and owned by the same owner who has owned it since the 1950's, and has one of the largest collection of Elvis 45's, EP's and LP Vinyl Records that would make any avid Elvis Record collector react like this :smt119 :smt120 :smt118

So your collection from 54 to 77 also includes every variation? You seemed to have completed a much impossible task to collect them all.
Congrats !

Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Whenever something new was released, I bought it.
It was fun going to the record shop on saturdaymorning to ask if anything new arrived.
When CD's came on the scene I bought every new release.
I don't care for bootlegs unless it is studio outtakes.

For listening outdoors I downloaded the complete masters as MP3 and have these on my MP3-player.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:50 am

I started collecting since I was 14,years old back in the early 80s. I have most Original 45s and albums on vinyl from both USA and Germany (and a strong collection UK releases as well. Apart from that I have a complete collection containing the most essential CD releases since 1984.
My FTD collection is complete until half way 2012 then money got tight and since then I was not able to buy anything. I never cared much for bootlegs although I have quite a few but nowadays I download both new FTDs and interesting bootleg releases. The FTD releases are temporary downloads until I have money to actually buy the discs (which should not take too long since I have just started in a new job). On bootleg I no longer spend any money nor do I spend any money on new books since I have the essential biographies, the Jorgensen book and quite a few Ger Rijff books. That's enough for me. I am not a photo fan...

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi everyone, first post!-I have had a few cds (Elvis at Sun, first 3 rca albums, from Elvis in memphis and 1 & 2nd to none) and a few dvds for a while now, but as I have been getting more and more hardcore into Elvis I have been picking up certain special edition sets like Prince from another Planet and Stax etc. My plan is to save up and get the Complete Masters box set within the next few months, and after that continue buying any specialty releases that contain outtakes and such not included in the set. Until then I keep watching vids on youtube to hold me over till I have enough money for the set!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:09 pm

I go into a shop, give the person behind the counter my money, they hand me my goods, then i walk out of the shop with a big grin on my face.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:58 pm

joeydee wrote:Hi everyone, first post!-I have had a few cds (Elvis at Sun, first 3 rca albums, from Elvis in memphis and 1 & 2nd to none) and a few dvds for a while now, but as I have been getting more and more hardcore into Elvis I have been picking up certain special edition sets like Prince from another Planet and Stax etc. My plan is to save up and get the Complete Masters box set within the next few months, and after that continue buying any specialty releases that contain outtakes and such not included in the set. Until then I keep watching vids on youtube to hold me over till I have enough money for the set!

Welcome Joeydee! Have a happy hunting to complete your collection in the upcoming decades :wink:

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:03 pm

SUN-RCA wrote:

Hi "joekro1977"

Massachusetts.

Hi SUN-RCA
This is really interesting , thanks for sharing...ive never been to Massachusetts...would love to visit there in that interesting records shop :)
Foe me i also collect in the good ol fashion way...since i was 9 or 10 years old...went to every records store and bought every Elvis vinyl i got my hands on...
I have almost complete ( Original USA ) collection of the '45,EPs , LPs from 1956 -1977 ...sadly i dont own even one of those rare 5 SUN singles....and dont have the SPEEDWAY LPM & GOLD RECORDS VOL 4 LPM !......those are rare and very expensive.....
I also collect CDs and the FTDs....