Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Interesting info on CBS Elvis In Concert!

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:11 am

This story doesn't sound unrealistic.
There are thousands of silent people out there who were somehow part of the EP show in the 70s.
Security, facilities, roadies, technicians, local musicians and now somebody speaks up regarding the CBS special.
Big deal and no major reason to question the authenticity?

Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Another possibility is that the guy really did work on the special but
his memory of the events is not accurate which happens alot when someone
is speaking of events 20 or 30 years ago.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:32 pm

ekenee wrote:Another possibility is that the guy really did work on the special but
his memory of the events is not accurate which happens alot when someone
is speaking of events 20 or 30 years ago.

What about what he is saying not be accurate?

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:34 pm

midnightx wrote:Absurd.

What is absurd?

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:32 pm

I think we'll never know how Parker convinced Elvis to do the special. But the Colonel was at best to manipulate Elvis along the years so it a was a very easy task in 1977, regarding Elvis poor health and sad state of mind. To me the most plausible hypothesis was that Parker convinced Elvis they will earn a lot of money doing nothing out of the ordinary, the only thing Elvis had to do was just to play live in Omaha and Rapid City, but without extra songs and no production numbers, like he did in Aloha or in the 1968 TV special.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Elvis might have told himself that he'd lose some weight and get fired up, just like he did a few months prior. Didn't happen this time.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:10 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:I think we'll never know how Parker convinced Elvis to do the special. But the Colonel was at best to manipulate Elvis along the years so it a was a very easy task in 1977, regarding Elvis poor health and sad state of mind. To me the most plausible hypothesis was that Parker convinced Elvis they will earn a lot of money doing nothing out of the ordinary.

We've already known that for years.

You've just said it yourself Elvis and Parker needed the money so they did the show.

Parker wouldn't have needed to do anything to convince Elvis to do the special other than point to the money.

Elvis was having cash flow problems throughout the 70s so he needed to do something and probably didn't need any convincing.

The CBS television special wasn't some big conspiracy mastermind by either the network or Parker.

It was a job for money that's it.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:45 pm

We all know it was a money grab but so was Aloha, Elvis On Tour, TTWII, the movies, etc. But maybe Parker also knew how Elvis usually rose to a challenge and whipped himself into shape so I'm sure that was considered as well. Unfortunately Elvis didn't have it in him this time. I just think he was too deep into depression, too deep into the drugs, too distracted with the bodyguard book and trying to win over Ginger to rise to any challenge.

I don't know exactly what this EIC production assistant meant by Elvis doing the special for money and the artistic challenge. When he was asked he pointed to how Elvis pulled himself together and put effort into the Rapid City show.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:54 pm

OK, Brian, but Elvis himself was not happy at all after the Omaha concert when he said to Ed Parker words like: "How I become stuck in this situation? I guess it's show business, after all". And he said also to the producers: "I know I was terrible in Omaha. I will try to do better next time". So these quotes written by Peter Guralnick in Careless Love suggests that Elvis was aware of his physical condition and worried about the future impact of the CBS TV special. So maybe money was not the decisive factor and I wonder if Elvis wanted to do that TV special. I guess not.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:03 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:OK, Brian, but Elvis himself was not happy at all after the Omaha concert when he said to Ed Parker words like: "How I become stuck in this situation? I guess it's show business, after all". And he said also to the producers: "I know I was terrible in Omaha. I will try to do better next time". So these quotes written by Peter Guralnick in Careless Love suggests that Elvis was aware of his physical condition and worried about the future impact of the CBS TV special. So maybe money was not the decisive factor and I wonder if Elvis wanted to do that TV special. I guess not.

Being willing to do the CBS special and being enthusiastic about it are two different things.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:09 pm

eligain wrote:We all know it was a money grab but so was Aloha, Elvis On Tour, TTWII, the movies, etc. But maybe Parker also knew how Elvis usually rose to a challenge and whipped himself into shape so I'm sure that was considered as well. Unfortunately Elvis didn't have it in him this time. I just think he was too deep into depression, too deep into the drugs, too distracted with the bodyguard book and trying to win over Ginger to rise to any challenge.

Maybe but it's also known that Elvis in Concert had less thought put in it compared to those other projects.

It's been said many times that Elvis agreed to the deal because he wouldn't have to do anything out of the ordinary.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Of course. Two televised concerts from an already booked ordinary tour had nothing in common with a unique event like Aloha from Hawaii (1973) or such challenging 1968 TV special when Elvis worked hard to revitalize his career.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:46 am

Last edited by epf on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:17 am

who made the setlist ...guess it was charlie.....why james burton or others try to change thing
or why did the col . not asked to singing numbers from his last album

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:01 pm

I always assumed Charlie made the set list, but Elvis could say yes or no or do change ups. I had read years ago that someone told elvis that "Memories" was such a downer and should not be in the show. I guess they wanted electric-elvis on stage. He disagreed because he said he really liked the song....so it stayed.
And before I get clobbered by the usual suspects, NO I do NOT remember where I read that information, so take it as you will.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 pm

GetLow wrote:I always assumed Charlie made the set list, but Elvis could say yes or no or do change ups. I had read years ago that someone told elvis that "Memories" was such a downer and should not be in the show. I guess they wanted electric-elvis on stage. He disagreed because he said he really liked the song....so it stayed.
And before I get clobbered by the usual suspects, NO I do NOT remember where I read that information, so take it as you will.

But, "memories" only stayed in the show for about a month.

And it's interesting to note that it was sort of treated like an oldie, in that it was speeded up for the show.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:31 pm

didn't Elvis use "Memories" as a kissing song in 1969. and his version in August 1969 was nowhere near as good as The 68 special version.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Exactly, Memories was never performed live after 1969. And also the Yesterday/Hey Jude medley as far as I know.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:28 pm

This is the 3rd time I try to thank eligain for this post.....My comments are deleted by someone who I will not name, cause he will delete my comments again...what ever happened to free speech?? Anyways, thanks again eligain for this interesting thread....

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:31 pm

GetLow wrote:I always assumed Charlie made the set list, but Elvis could say yes or no or do change ups. I had read years ago that someone told elvis that "Memories" was such a downer and should not be in the show. I guess they wanted electric-elvis on stage. He disagreed because he said he really liked the song....so it stayed.

Producer Sam Phillips, who attended the 7-31-1969 OS at Presley's request, was the one who recommended that "Memories" be dropped from the set, as it impacted the pacing of the show. He was right, but had the stunning, original single arrangement been embraced, it might not have been mentioned at all.

Elvis did not remove "Memories" from the set as it was a decent-sized hit just weeks earlier:

"Memories"
Billboard Hot 100 #35, April 12, 1969
CashBox Top 100 #24, April 26, 1969
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:39 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:OK, Brian, but Elvis himself was not happy at all after the Omaha concert when he said to Ed Parker words like: "How I become stuck in this situation? I guess it's show business, after all". And he said also to the producers: "I know I was terrible in Omaha. I will try to do better next time". So these quotes written by Peter Guralnick in Careless Love suggests that Elvis was aware of his physical condition and worried about the future impact of the CBS TV special. So maybe money was not the decisive factor and I wonder if Elvis wanted to do that TV special. I guess not.

Clearly money was the decisive factor, because Elvis knew he was unable to deliver the goods and did not want to do the TV special -- yet, Elvis did the TV special.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Producer Sam Phillips, who attended the 7-31-1969 OS at Presley's request, was the one who recommended that "Memories" be dropped from the set, as it impacted the pacing of the show. He was right, but had the stunning, original single arrangement been embraced, it might not have been mentioned at all.

Elvis did not remove "Memories" from the set as it was a decent-sized hit just weeks earlier:

"Memories"
Billboard Hot 100 #35, April 12, 1969
Cash Box Top 100 #24, April 26, 1969

I agree with Sam on this one. I've never really liked Memories. It seemed like too much of an MOR song more appropriate for Perry Como or Andy Williams. It also seemed inappropriate age wise as well. It is more suited to a more mature singer looking back on his life like Sinatra or Como. I think it would have worked better for Elvis if he would have recorded the song after 1975, after he passed 40. I Always thought the arrangement and sound was boiler plate TV movie of the week theme.

But I guess, since it was a single for 1969, it should be represented at least to move some more units. If I was at one of those Vegas shows and had to use the bathroom really bad, I would have got up to use it during this song.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:07 pm

eligain wrote:If I was at one of those Vegas shows and had to use the bathroom really bad, I would have got up to use it during this song.

I would have used a champagne glass and set it on the table behind me.

I ain't budgin'.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Memories got more popular as the years rolled on probably because Elvis passed away and the song took on new meaning. His TV Special aired, was a huge success, and really this single from the show can be considered a failure chartwise compared to the success of the show. I thought it would go top 10 in 1969. I didn't have a problem with Elvis using it in his Vegas 69 show, but clearly it wasn't as good as the TV special version, and yet , I wished he had kept it in his shows rather than doing some of the overblown ballads he moved on to. Its a nice song, with good lyrics but I can see how some people just don't dig it.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:36 pm

r&b wrote:Memories got more popular as the years rolled on probably because Elvis passed away and the song took on new meaning. His TV Special aired, was a huge success, and really this single from the show can be considered a failure chartwise compared to the success of the show. I thought it would go top 10 in 1969. I didn't have a problem with Elvis using it in his Vegas 69 show, but clearly it wasn't as good as the TV special version, and yet , I wished he had kept it in his shows rather than doing some of the overblown ballads he moved on to. Its a nice song, with good lyrics but I can see how some people just don't dig it.

He just sang to the backing track of the record on the TV special.