Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Interesting info on CBS Elvis In Concert!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:15 pm

I hate to start another thread on EIC but I found some interesting info about the special on another Elvis forum. A production assistant posted his experience of working on the special and has some interesting information. He said that the consensus among the production crew was that Elvis was involved in the project not only for financial gain but also for an artistic challenge; believe it or not! CBS (of course) was not happy with Elvis' Omaha show and made threats that Elvis' performance did not meet his contractual obligations. Rapid City was a huge improvement and Smith & Hemion were delighted with the footage they had. Rapid City had a smaller Elvis fan base than Omaha and Elvis had to work harder to get fan reaction compared to Omaha. They used mostly Omaha inserts for crowd reaction shots. This production assistant said that watching the complete show in Rapid City he had a feeling of complete awe at the efforts of an unwell man, under enormous pressure and seeing the looks on peoples faces as this larger than life figure made this one very special night.
Unfortunately the magic of television was unable to capture anything like what it was like to be in that building in Rapid City.

Some other observations; There was never any plans to tape other shows if they hadn't got good footage in Rapid City. It was actually out of the question. If they hadn't, Elvis and the Colonel would not have met their contractual obligation. The Colonel was a huge friend, very arrogant and full of himself. There was no pool side interview of Elvis. They were instructed from the outset that Elvis would not he available for one on one interviews, we were there to film two concerts, that was it. A crew was sent to Memphis to film exteriors of Graceland. Compared to Omaha, Elvis in Rapid City was like a new man. it was a shame that the CBS cameras were unable to capture the true magic of a Elvis' concert in Rapid City.

Re: Interesting info on CBS Elvis In Concert!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:44 pm

eligain wrote:?..CBS (of course) was not happy with Elvis' Omaha show and made threats that Elvis' performance did not meet his contractual obligations....

What exactly were his 'contractual obligations'? To sing 'Yoga is as Yoga Does' dressed in a Tutu? All of the above is subjective and probably the well intended observations of a fan who does all of their shopping at www.rosecolouredglasses.com.
::rocks

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Yup, this was posted in theelvisforum.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:15 pm

I don't understand the line, "The Colonel was a huge friend, very arrogant and full of himself." What?

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:39 pm

I suspect the quote was actually - "The Colonel was a huge FIEND"

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:58 pm

eligain wrote:I hate to start another thread on EIC but I found some interesting info about the special on another Elvis forum. A production assistant posted his experience of working on the special and has some interesting information. He said that the consensus among the production crew was that Elvis was involved in the project not only for financial gain but also for an artistic challenge; believe it or not! CBS (of course) was not happy with Elvis' Omaha show and made threats that Elvis' performance did not meet his contractual obligations. Rapid City was a huge improvement and Smith & Hemion were delighted with the footage they had. Rapid City had a smaller Elvis fan base than Omaha and Elvis had to work harder to get fan reaction compared to Omaha. They used mostly Omaha inserts for crowd reaction shots. This production assistant said that watching the complete show in Rapid City he had a feeling of complete awe at the efforts of an unwell man, under enormous pressure and seeing the looks on peoples faces as this larger than life figure made this one very special night.
Unfortunately the magic of television was unable to capture anything like what it was like to be in that building in Rapid City.

Some other observations; There was never any plans to tape other shows if they hadn't got good footage in Rapid City. It was actually out of the question. If they hadn't, Elvis and the Colonel would not have met their contractual obligation. The Colonel was a huge friend, very arrogant and full of himself. There was no pool side interview of Elvis. They were instructed from the outset that Elvis would not he available for one on one interviews, we were there to film two concerts, that was it. A crew was sent to Memphis to film exteriors of Graceland. Compared to Omaha, Elvis in Rapid City was like a new man. it was a shame that the CBS cameras were unable to capture the true magic of a Elvis' concert in Rapid City.

Interesting topics on the CBS special are possible after all.
I still don't get the choice of RC, although I admit Elvis pulled it off for 1977 standards.

If you look at the tour list, Cincinnati & Indy were bigger cities with a more fanatic crowd.
Elvis was usually better in tour closing shows so they should have picked that one.

The producers previewed Chicago May 1st and weren't happy.
If this was done with artistic ambitions in mind, why didn't they change the whole show format?

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Which of the Chicago shows is considered to be a pretty good show? May 1 or May 2? Lucky they didn't see St. Paul, April 30.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:57 pm

stevelecher wrote:I don't understand the line, "The Colonel was a huge friend, very arrogant and full of himself." What?

It's the board software that changes the word which was most likely originally an expletive. When you type "@sshole" or something worse...it automatically changes the word to "friend."

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Let me give it a try.

How would you like my foot shoved up your friend?

Yep, you're right.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:06 pm

stevelecher wrote:I don't understand the line, "The Colonel was a huge friend, very arrogant and full of himself." What?

I'm glad someone said it.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:41 pm

stevelecher wrote:Which of the Chicago shows is considered to be a pretty good show? May 1 or May 2? Lucky they didn't see St. Paul, April 30.

May 2nd is the one..
The first show was average at best

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:44 pm

lpa wrote:

I'm glad someone said it.

Well he was huge be it a friend or a fiend.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:45 pm

eligain wrote: There was no pool side interview of Elvis.

Tragic.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 pm

I think none of the May 1977 Chicago shows were "pretty good".

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:03 pm

egilj wrote:
eligain wrote: There was no pool side interview of Elvis.

Tragic.

A bloody muddy rubbish catastrophe.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:What is especially curious about this "interesting info" is that is is posted by someone anonymous, and they refuse to elaborate any further on their career at CBS, or television in general. And they somehow found a very small Elvis internet forum to post this exclusive information. Could it all be a wind-up? There is not one thing mentioned in their posting that anyone with any knowledge of the special could have written.

Don't think there is any wind up (why do you keep using that?). He just seems like someone who wanted to share his story of working on this special with Elvis fans. After someone asked, he does say he was going to post it here but found this place too unfriendly. He first posted about this about a year ago, and has answered a few questions since. There is some more of what he revealed than what I posted. He does talk about what he's doing now but people on the forum are only interested in Elvis. I believe him because he doesn't make any wild claims and is totally straight forward. I totally agree with him that no recording or film or video has been able to fully capture the magic of Elvis on stage in person no matter what his condition was. That's why, even at his worst, the audience is still screaming.

Like I said, there is more about it than what I posted, I just posted the highlights of what I read. I know it's not earth shattering but I found it interesting plus it dispels some myths that keep hanging on like them filming other shows or the pool side interview. He talks about how the Colonel tried to charge CBS for seats that couldn't be used because of the camera platforms and that they had a crew in Lincoln and Indianapolis for external shots and how insurance prevented them from filming the show in Lincoln. He really isn't an Elvis fan but he appreciated what he saw and he acknowledges that Elvis was sick and in bad shape.
Last edited by eligain on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:01 am

It was actually "The Colonel was a huge @sswhole" but the software changed it.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:16 am

The booklet to the gravelroad CD ''From Omaha to Rapid City''
for anybody who likes info on the CBS special and shows :D

Booklet2.jpg

Booklet3.jpg

Booklet4.jpg

Booklet5.jpg

Booklet6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:17 am

Booklet7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Interesting info on CBS Elvis In Concert!

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:17 am

A@shole. Asswhole. Either way you slice it, it stinks.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:What is especially curious about this "interesting info" is that is is posted by someone anonymous, and they refuse to elaborate any further on their career at CBS, or television in general. And they somehow found a very small Elvis internet forum to post this exclusive information. Could it all be a wind-up? There is not one thing mentioned in their posting that anyone with any knowledge of the special could have written.

That's precisely what I think. I believe that this is bogus.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:47 am

Rock Legend wrote:

Thank you.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:

Thank you.

Why would it be bogus if what he is saying makes perfect sense? He's not stating some outlandish premiss like he saw Elvis taking drugs or that he worked on the "pool side" interview. He's not making himself out to be an important member of the crew with secret inside information. He just states some inner workings of the special that he observed which is pretty straight forward and that even though he isn't an Elvis fan, the experience made him appreciate Elvis's talent more. I can see now why he decided not to share it here!

Maybe part of the problem is my trying to tell here what he said. I would post the whole thread and his words here so you can see it for yourself if it's legal but I don't know if it's legal to post a thread from another forum. And I'm not trying to advertise that forum.

John, I figured you would call everything a lie though because you've called me a liar for my experiences because they weren't reported in a newspaper! I wonder if that's "unfounded, unfair and damn rude"?

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:34 am

The poster on the original topic hasn't made any outlandish claims and seems a genuine and nice, helpful person. His insights have been appreciated on the forum.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:07 am

Absurd.