Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS KING OF THE BILLBOARD HOT 100

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:17 am

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... milestones

I`ve removed the important aspect(s) of this article for a better understanding;

acts with the most Hot 100 appearances:

207, "Glee" Cast
120, Lil Wayne
108, Elvis Presley
91, James Brown
80, Jay Z
74, Ray Charles
73, Aretha Franklin
71, the Beatles
67, Elton John
65, Drake

Of course, the usual caveat about the "Glee" cast's Hot 100 discography: as the series' model has been to release multiple tracks as audio souvenirs of each new episode, 173 of its 207 chart entries – or 84% – have spent a single week on the survey. And just one, "Don't Stop Believin'," its first Hot 100 hit and its highest-charting (No. 4), has spent as many as seven weeks on the chart.

Conversely, for example, 82 of Presley's 108 hits – or 76% – spent seven weeks or more on the ranking. And, nearly half (45) remained on for at least 10 weeks.

(In between the "Glee" cast and Presley, it's also worth noting that of Lil Wayne's 120 Hot 100 outings, 76 – or 63% – have been in featured roles.)

Here's a recap of the acts with the most top 40 appearances on the Hot 100 through this week:

80, Elvis Presley
64, Lil Wayne
57, Elton John
51, "Glee" Cast
50, the Beatles
49, Madonna
46, Stevie Wonder
44, James Brown
43, Aretha Franklin
42, Taylor Swift
41, Marvin Gaye
41, Jay Z
41, the Rolling Stones

As with the "Glee" cast (with 51 top 40 entries), Swift has mixed her multi-format popularity with the digital era, having, for instance, charted with multiple cuts leading up to and upon the releases of her last three studio albums; in prior decades (and per erstwhile chart rules), acts charted only with commercially-available singles most often promoted to radio. (Had iTunes existed in the Beatles' heyday, for instance, perhaps each cut from, say, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" might've charted?)

And probably the most important thing here to always remember is that the HOT 100 did not begin until 1958, therefore excluding all Presley hits beforehand :D enjoy

Re: ELVIS KING OF THE BILLBOARD HOT 100

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks for the post 'sweetangeline, here are my thoughts on this list.

sweetangeline wrote:http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/5762951/glee-cast-taylor-swift-add-hot-100-milestones

I`ve removed the important aspect(s) of this article for a better understanding;

acts with the most Hot 100 appearances:

207, "Glee" Cast ~ YUCK :facep:
120, Lil Wayne ~ YUCK :facep:
108, Elvis Presley smt131 :smt023
91, James Brown smt131
80, Jay Z ~ YUCK :facep:
74, Ray Charles smt131
73, Aretha Franklin smt131
71, the Beatles smt131
67, Elton John ~ I liked some of his music from the 70's, but mostly 80's, never a big fan.
65, Drake ~ I don't even know who this is, so i goggled him, and still never heard of him.

Of course, the usual caveat about the "Glee" cast's Hot 100 discography: as the series' model has been to release multiple tracks as audio souvenirs of each new episode, 173 of its 207 chart entries – or 84% – have spent a single week on the survey. And just one, "Don't Stop Believin'," its first Hot 100 hit and its highest-charting (No. 4), has spent as many as seven weeks on the chart.

Conversely, for example, 82 of Presley's 108 hits – or 76% – spent seven weeks or more on the ranking. And, nearly half (45) remained on for at least 10 weeks.

(In between the "Glee" cast and Presley, it's also worth noting that of Lil Wayne's 120 Hot 100 outings, 76 – or 63% – have been in featured roles.)

Here's a recap of the acts with the most top 40 appearances on the Hot 100 through this week:

80, Elvis Presley smt131 :smt023
64, Lil Wayne :facep:
57, Elton John ~ I liked some of his music from the 70's and 80's
51, "Glee" Cast :facep:
50, the Beatles smt131
49, Madonna ~ I liked her back in the 80's and early 90's
46, Stevie Wonder smt131
44, James Brown smt131
43, Aretha Franklin smt131
42, Taylor Swift ~ I Like some of her songs.
41, Marvin Gaye smt131
41, Jay Z :facep:
41, the Rolling Stones smt131

As with the "Glee" cast (with 51 top 40 entries), Swift has mixed her multi-format popularity with the digital era, having, for instance, charted with multiple cuts leading up to and upon the releases of her last three studio albums; in prior decades (and per erstwhile chart rules), acts charted only with commercially-available singles most often promoted to radio. (Had iTunes existed in the Beatles' heyday, for instance, perhaps each cut from, say, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" might've charted?)

And probably the most important thing here to always remember is that the HOT 100 did not begin until 1958, therefore excluding all Presley hits beforehand :D enjoy

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:08 am

I would agree with all of your emoticons :D we have the same taste in music!!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:21 am

sweetangeline wrote:I would agree with all of your emoticons :D we have the same taste in music!!

Cool :wink: :D

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:44 am

...and the most important part, I can`t believe I forgot this GLEE ENDS NEXT YEAR!! FINALLY :D

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:10 pm

sweetangeline wrote:...and the most important part, I can`t believe I forgot this GLEE ENDS NEXT YEAR!! FINALLY :D

Never saw it ,but my niece is a fan

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Prior to the commencement of The Billboard Hot 100, in its present form, on August 4th, 1958 Elvis had already accumulated 25 Top 40 Hits. So his tally should really be 105.

Brian

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Billboard shouldn't count Glee, Lil Wayne or any digital downloads as being hits on the Billboard charts.

For Billboard to act like it's the same thing as having a hit single back then is ridiculous.

Billboard doesn't count the pre rock era largely because the hits songs back then were based on sheet music.

Thus Billboard doesn't count Bing Crosby's hit singles but they have given credit to Glee and anyone else in the present time.

Since they do count downloads Billboard should go back and give credit to all the pre rock n' roll era performers.

They won't because they are hypocrites.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Prior to the commencement of The Billboard Hot 100, in its present form, on August 4th, 1958 Elvis had already accumulated 25 Top 40 Hits. So his tally should really be 105.

Brian

true and that`s why I wrote this part in the original post;

sweetangeline wrote:And probably the most important thing here to always remember is that the HOT 100 did not begin until 1958, therefore excluding all Presley hits beforehand enjoy

sometimes it`s better to read the whole thread, than just bits and pieces... :D

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:33 am

Now just imagine if all 10 or 12 songs from an Elvis album back in the day were eligible for inclusion on the Hot 100. Ditto for the Beatles.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:28 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Now just imagine if all 10 or 12 songs from an Elvis album back in the day were eligible for inclusion on the Hot 100. Ditto for the Beatles.

exactly ::rocks

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:25 am

Back in the 80's I heard a DJ comment that Elvis owned 10% of the all time Billboard Top 100, nowadays, Billboard seems to have a hard on to discriminate and discredit Elvis Presley's monumental achievement's that had/have been the benchmark for any artistic success of the modern Rock music era.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 am

minkahed wrote:Back in the 80's I heard a DJ comment that Elvis owned 10% of the all time Billboard Top 100, nowadays, Billboard seems to have a hard on to discriminate and discredit Elvis Presley's monumental achievement's that had/have been the benchmark for any artistic success of the modern Rock music era.

I'm not even sure we're in the rock era anymore. This might be the post-rock era.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 pm

I just tried to let my subscription lapse (again), because I have no idea what it's for anymore.

People listen to music however they chose now; aside from catalog and Christmas releases, there are no "hit" records anymore.

It makes no sense to try to adapt a model set up for a dead distribution structure. Napster changed the world forever, and then youtube and subscription services went further, and there are no hit records.

Sometimes a song or dance craze will bomb out youtube, but you don't need Billboard to tell you about that. Just click "tending" and you got it.

It's fun when the comments roll by so fast you can't read 'em. That's a hit. So what's Billboard for, exactly?

That model is over. Catalog still has a dignified place, and Amazon will give you those stats along with seasonal music. Beyond that, you are your own programmer.

So, the fat lady already sang. Time to sing along. There's more "old" music available than ever. Time to leave the hits to history.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Billboard should define/allocate music in four categories - sheet, vinyl, Digital/CD, download. Eliminate most controversy. Assign years to the categories and make sure it includes all years of an artists chart career. It is just too confusing now.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:09 pm

rjm wrote:I just tried to let my subscription lapse (again), because I have no idea what it's for anymore.

People listen to music however they chose now; aside from catalog and Christmas releases, there are no "hit" records anymore.

It makes no sense to try to adapt a model set up for a dead distribution structure. Napster changed the world forever, and then youtube and subscription services went further, and there are no hit records.

Sometimes a song or dance craze will bomb out youtube, but you don't need Billboard to tell you about that. Just click "tending" and you got it.

It's fun when the comments roll by so fast you can't read 'em. That's a hit. So what's Billboard for, exactly?

That model is over. Catalog still has a dignified place, and Amazon will give you those stats along with seasonal music. Beyond that, you are your own programmer.

So, the fat lady already sang. Time to sing along. There's more "old" music available than ever. Time to leave the hits to history.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Nice post rjm, you're completely spot on about how tainted the Billboard charts and awards are handled in this "modern era" ...