Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis and Johnny Carson...

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 pm

If Elvis reacted that strongly to those rather innocent remarks from Carson, it illustrates very well his vulnerability at the time.
Regretfully, Elvis used self-mockery more as shield, than as a sign of self-confidence, especially in the later years.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:37 pm

If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.

Although, post Aug '77, isn't the above quote also attributed to Johnny Carson?

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:21 am

egilj wrote:If Elvis reacted that strongly to those rather innocent remarks from Carson, it illustrates very well his vulnerability at the time.
Regretfully, Elvis used self-mockery more as shield, than as a sign of self-confidence, especially in the later years.

I remember hearing stories about Elvis walking on stage with Glen Campbell or the other way around in 75 or 76 and Campbell patting Elvis's stomach and (good naturally) making fun of Elvis' weight. I wonder if that changed how Elvis felt about Glen Campbell?

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:35 am

eligain wrote:
egilj wrote:If Elvis reacted that strongly to those rather innocent remarks from Carson, it illustrates very well his vulnerability at the time.

I remember hearing stories about Elvis walking on stage with Glen Campbell or the other way around in 75 or 76 and Campbell patting Elvis's stomach and (good naturally) making fun of Elvis' weight. I wonder if that changed how Elvis felt about Glen Campbell?

The story is actually some kind of banter from Campbell in the audience at a December 1975 or 1976 Vegas show.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:

The story is actually some kind of banter from Campbell in the audience at a December 1975 or 1976 Vegas show.

IIRC, the show is the OS, December 2, 1976. Campbell was in the audience bantering with Elvis. It ended with Campbell saying he wouldn't care how well he played guitar if he could sing as well as Elvis.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:I had always heard that it was Walter Cronkite that made the "Fat and Forty" comment that got Elvis pissed off.

The book i was referring to that talks about Elvis and Johnny meeting is by Henry Bushkin. it also mentions that Elvis told Johnny how much he liked Freddie De Cordova. who worked on the Tonight Show and who also directed Elvis in Frankie and Johnny.

Walter Cronkite? That is unlikely.

Where, exactly, have you "always heard" this?

I have no idea where he heard it, but many years ago, and again - I don't know where, but I read this too. I did read it. It is false. But it was printed in some publications, many decades ago. I mean, A LONG time ago! It was, I think, a distortion of the Carson thing. I had thought it was Cronkite for the longest time, before I heard it was actually Johnny, who said . . . well, he said what he said.

But reading the "Comfort" thing, the Cronkite misattribution "went around" apparently for quite a while. I can't believe it's in a blog now, in 2013. It is clearly completely false. It was something that got totally misattributed and distorted, and became a rumor, and this is what happens . . .

rjm
P.S. -- My corrective "comment is awaiting moderation" by Mr. Comfort.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:34 am

Walter Cronkite was a very serious reporter and analyst to do such a corny joke. I saw recently some videos with him from the archive on Discovery Channel and I was very impressed about his high professional quality he had. The most impressive to me was the moment when he announced with a tear in his eye that president Kennedy died.