Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis and Johnny Carson...

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:01 pm

@ jeremylr...Wow, Thanks for the quotes...it's very interesting to know the exact Johnny' Jokes/quotes rather than just reading third party' stories!

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 pm

jeremylr wrote:I'm a member of Johnny Carson's clip licensing program found on his official website. I've always wondered about the "fat and forty" remarks that Billy Smith (Revelations from the Memphis Mafia) and certain publications have alleged that Carson said about Elvis. So I searched Carson's clip licensing database using "Elvis" as a keyword. I would have to pay a considerable fee to purchase the videos, but I can supply a transcript of what was actually said on four separate Carson Tonight Show opening monologues between 1974 and 1976. As you will see, Carson never made such a remark on The Tonight Show, and the jokes are pretty innocuous...

From the January 8, 1974 Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson monologue:
“How about some happy news? You know who’s celebrating their 39th birthday today? Elvis Presley. It’s hard to think of Elvis pushing 40 years old. But just to show he still has it, he blew out the candles on his cake today with his hips.”

From the January 8, 1975 monologue:
“Guess who celebrated their 40th birthday today?” Elvis Presley. He is now wearing orthopedic blue suede shoes (laughter). He looks very young, though, but I hear he got an orthopedic, I mean he got a surgical hip lift… he is only allowed to swivel now in the presence of a registered nurse. That’s what the nurse told me [laughter].”

From the January 22, 1975 monologue:
“Most people have trouble with inflation, paying the rent, trying to buy a new car. Did you read today what Elvis Presley is thinking of buying? You think you got trouble making the house payments? Elvis’ father was apparently up in New Jersey today, and he is considering buying his own 707. I don’t mean a little two wheels with propellers on it. I mean a 707 jet airliner. It has a sauna, a dance floor, a gymnasium, two bedrooms and two dining rooms. It’s like a house that flies…Elvis’ plane does have some problems, though. Every time the plane takes off, it pulls Elvis’ plug out of his guitar. He does have another problem. As you are landing, the stewardesses remind you to keep your seatbelt fastened until Elvis’ hips come to a complete stop.”

From the January 21, 1976 monologue:
“Well, let’s go to the news and see if Elvis Presley gave his parakeet a new Cadillac. Did you notice that? Presley’s giving everybody Cadillacs. You say hello and Elvis gives you a Cadillac.”

thanks for posting those quotes. its cool to see that and that fans are able to do that on that site.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 pm

yaso wrote:@ jeremylr...Wow, Thanks for the quotes...it's very interesting to know the exact Johnny' Jokes/quotes rather than just reading third party' stories!

What are you talking about? Billy Smith's testimony is first-person, and quite believable. Read all of page 1 again, but with care.

Thank you.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:13 pm

I had always heard that it was Walter Cronkite that made the "Fat and Forty" comment that got Elvis pissed off.

The book i was referring to that talks about Elvis and Johnny meeting is by Henry Bushkin. it also mentions that Elvis told Johnny how much he liked Freddie De Cordova. who worked on the Tonight Show and who also directed Elvis in Frankie and Johnny.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:15 pm

DEH wrote:I had always heard that it was Walter Cronkite that made the "Fat and Forty" comment that got Elvis pissed off.

The book i was referring to that talks about Elvis and Johnny meeting is by Henry Bushkin. it also mentions that Elvis told Johnny how much he liked Freddie De Cordova. who worked on the Tonight Show and who also directed Elvis in Frankie and Johnny.

Walter Cronkite? That is unlikely.

Where, exactly, have you "always heard" this?

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:28 pm

in one of the many elvis books. i would have to go look. it was at the end of the news where they would sometimes do one last news tidbit just before Cronkite would do that closing catchphrase "and that's news for "insert date here". he ended the show mentioning it was elvis's 40th birthday.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 pm

I admire Billy Smith greatly. Elvis definitely benefited from his presence. My issue: fans have read Revelations and other sources referencing the infamous moment when Johnny Carson said Elvis was "fat and forty" on The Tonight Show. Yes, Alanna Nash worded Billy's recollections somewhat implicitly, but readers likely take "fat and forty" as fact [seems like Nash wanted this to happen, she put the phrase in quotes btw), and may in turn develop a negative connotation of the late night comedian. I know I did. Carson's actual words set the record straight.

Carson may indeed have offended Elvis, but what actually happened was blown way out of proportion in subsequent retellings. The "fat and forty" phrase as attributed to Johnny Carson is incorrect and reaks of sensationalized journalism. Revelations is required reading, but not everything within its covers holds up to scrutiny.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:11 pm

jeremylr wrote:I admire Billy Smith greatly. Elvis definitely benefited from his presence. My issue: fans have read Revelations and other sources referencing the infamous moment when Johnny Carson said Elvis was "fat and forty" on The Tonight Show. Yes, Alanna Nash worded Billy's recollections somewhat implicitly, but readers likely take "fat and forty" as fact [seems like Nash wanted this to happen, she put the phrase in quotes btw), and may in turn develop a negative connotation of the late night comedian. I know I did. Carson's actual words set the record straight.

Carson may indeed have offended Elvis, but what actually happened was blown way out of proportion in subsequent retellings. The "fat and forty" phrase as attributed to Johnny Carson is incorrect and reaks of sensationalized journalism. Revelations is required reading, but not everything within its covers holds up to scrutiny.

+ 1

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:59 pm

jeremylr wrote:Thanks guys for the nice replies regarding the quotes. When you're discussing comedy and Johnny Carson, so much more transpires in the delivery. Maybe one day the monologue videos will appear.

As for the "truncated" quote -- remember that a live audience plus Ed McMahon was also present. Carson had a habit of interrupting his joke delivery to banter with his straight man or the crowd if he heard an unexpected reaction like a laugh before the punch line, silence, groans, a loud noise from the crew, etc. That's why you see the ellipsis (...)

I concur that the only Johnny Carson quote where Elvis might have taken offense happened on January 8, 1975. The orthopedic blue suede shoes one. But I'm still not seeing anywhere where Johnny mentioned Elvis being fat and forty. It was my intention to illustrate how our perceptions alter and often elevate what really happened.

Dr. John, I love the Ann-Margret video from 1/22/75, even though it's a small sampling. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Carson Enterprises has an annoying habit of only featuring snippets from historic interviews and sketches on The Tonight Show. As you said, it would seem almost certain that Elvis watched it.

And for reference purposes, here is Billy Smith's recollection, taken from Revelations from the Memphis Mafia, page 507: "Elvis was always crazy about Johnny Carson. But then a few years later, Johnny was doing his monologue one night and Elvis was watching him. Johnny said something about Elvis being 'fat and forty.' And boy, Elvis turned against him after that. He wouldn't hardly watch him anymore. Elvis took stuff like that hard..."

I don't know if they still do this but you used to be able to buy entire episodes of Carson's show of a certain date, like from 1972 to 1992 or what ever period after NBC quit erasing shows. Something like the first 10 years had been erased to tape other shows.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:05 pm

DEH wrote:in one of the many elvis books. i would have to go look. it was at the end of the news where they would sometimes do one last news tidbit just before Cronkite would do that closing catchphrase "and that's news for "insert date here". he ended the show mentioning it was elvis's 40th birthday.

And Cronkite closed with Elvis is "fat and forty"? Please, do go look as it isn't noted in any of the books I have read. Not one.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 pm

jeremylr wrote:I admire Billy Smith greatly. Elvis definitely benefited from his presence. My issue: fans have read Revelations and other sources referencing the infamous moment when Johnny Carson said Elvis was "fat and forty" on The Tonight Show. Yes, Alanna Nash worded Billy's recollections somewhat implicitly, but readers likely take "fat and forty" as fact [seems like Nash wanted this to happen, she put the phrase in quotes btw), and may in turn develop a negative connotation of the late night comedian. I know I did. Carson's actual words set the record straight.

Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations from the Memphis Mafia is an essential work on the singer. Period.

As I have noted "fat and forty" is an inference, not a direct quote, and Alanna Nash does nothing more than properly transcribe what Billy Smith says. It is supposed to be in quotes. That is how it is done.

I will repeat this one more time: the phrase was NEVER attributed to Johnny Carson in the book, as your verbatim quote above proved. That some fans cannot discern the nuance in simple biographical prose is a curse of their own ignorance.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:in one of the many elvis books. i would have to go look. it was at the end of the news where they would sometimes do one last news tidbit just before Cronkite would do that closing catchphrase "and that's news for "insert date here". he ended the show mentioning it was elvis's 40th birthday.

And Cronkite closed with Elvis is "fat and forty"? Please, do go look as it isn't noted in any of the books I have read. Not one.

Indeed. Anyone who has the slightest knowledge of Walter Cronkite would know that he would never have made such a careless comment like that.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Unfortunately for Elvis, the press made a huge deal out of him turning 40 and an even bigger deal when he gained weight and Elvis didn't help his cause by continuing to wear the jumpsuits that only accentuated his weight.

I will never forget seeing the tabloid at the supermarket with a picture of Elvis wearing the gypsy jumpsuit with the bold headline: "ELVIS IS FAT!"

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:01 am

eligain wrote:Unfortunately for Elvis, the press made a huge deal out of him turning 40 and an even bigger deal when he gained weight and Elvis didn't help his cause by continuing to wear the jumpsuits that only accentuated his weight.

I will never forget seeing the tabloid at the supermarket with a picture of Elvis wearing the gypsy jumpsuit with the bold headline: "ELVIS IS FAT!"

Yep. They took the worst picture they could find and splashed it across their front page. Of course, that's their M.O.

Wasn't this the one they used?

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:09 am

Actually, it looks to me like Carson's Elvis jokes were just good natured fun. And one quote I will always remember from Carson, what a shame it was that Elvis was dead and the impersonators are alive.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:30 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Actually, it looks to me like Carson's Elvis jokes were just good natured fun. And one quote I will always remember from Carson, what a shame it was that Elvis was dead and the impersonators are alive.

Another quote Carson made about Elvis is: "Have you ever noticed that all Elvis impersonators look the same but none of them look like Elvis?"

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:40 am

eligain wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Actually, it looks to me like Carson's Elvis jokes were just good natured fun. And one quote I will always remember from Carson, what a shame it was that Elvis was dead and the impersonators are alive.

Another quote Carson made about Elvis is: "Have you ever noticed that all Elvis impersonators look the same but none of them look like Elvis?"

That's a good one!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 am

dhornjr1 wrote:
eligain wrote:Unfortunately for Elvis, the press made a huge deal out of him turning 40 and an even bigger deal when he gained weight and Elvis didn't help his cause by continuing to wear the jumpsuits that only accentuated his weight.

Yep. They took the worst picture they could find and splashed it across their front page. Of course, that's their M.O.

Wasn't this the one they used?

No. Actually that picture is from February 12th 1977 but it was splashed all over the tabloids too. The picture that they had on the tabloid I saw that day was him in the black with multicolored embroidery and stones with white puff sleeves, gypsy jumpsuit from 1975.

Actually, it was Elvis and his people's fault for the above picture. He should have never stepped on a stage looking like that.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:55 am

In signing the divorce on his birthday, surely he hoped for a new beginning. But on his birthday the next year, Walter Cronkite, flashing a recent photo, announced on the Six o’Clock News: “Elvis – fat and 40!”

http://davidcomfort.org/elvis-the-king-of-rocknroll/

Same article: http://www.thewrap.com/blog-post/elvis- ... -boy-12642

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:50 am

Mountain Misst wrote:
In signing the divorce on his birthday, surely he hoped for a new beginning. But on his birthday the next year, Walter Cronkite, flashing a recent photo, announced on the Six o’Clock News: “Elvis – fat and 40!”

http://davidcomfort.org/elvis-the-king-of-rocknroll/

Same article: http://www.thewrap.com/blog-post/elvis- ... -boy-12642

Ack.

Who ever "David Comfort" may be, his unsourced prose needs to come equipped with an extra-large shovel, if you catch my drift.

In signing the divorce on his birthday, surely he hoped for a new beginning. But on his birthday the next year, Walter Cronkite, flashing a recent photo, announced on the evening news: “Elvis – fat and 40!”

The King collapsed and had to be carried to his bedroom. Weeks later he was checked into Baptist Memorial as “Aaron Silvie.” Here he underwent a second narcotics detox.

http://www.thewrap.com/blog-post/elvis-presley-lonely-birthday-boy-12642

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:02 am

LOL, LOL, welllllllllllllllll yes, lol

At least there is comfort there, lol :D

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:35 am

Wasn't it Elvis himself that made this quote when he said that he didn't want to be "fat and 40" up on some stage singing Hound Dog?

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:18 am

elvisbot wrote:
rjm wrote:But they never met up on the show. Some of the most powerful and famous people in the world did "walk-on"s. He maybe didn't even have to talk!

The audience would have gone completely bonkers, both in the studio, and out there in TVLand.

Ah, well.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

In order to do a walk-on, Elvis would have been paid next to nothing. The Colonel just wouldn't put up with that.
Another blotch on the Colonels "missed oppurtunity" list.
Damn him!
This is the Elvis world. Blame everything on Parker. Poor Parker, he's dead and can't defend himself, and we blame everything on him even though we weren't there and haven't walked 1/10 of a mile in his shoes.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:32 am

WMarkJ wrote:
elvisbot wrote:In order to do a walk-on, Elvis would have been paid next to nothing. The Colonel just wouldn't put up with that.
Another blotch on the Colonels "missed oppurtunity" list.
Damn him!
This is the Elvis world. Blame everything on Parker. Poor Parker, he's dead and can't defend himself, and we blame everything on him even though we weren't there and haven't walked 1/10 of a mile in his shoes.

Or puffed 1/100 of his cigars!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:26 am

eligain wrote:Wasn't it Elvis himself that made this quote when he said that he didn't want to be "fat and 40" up on some stage singing Hound Dog?
Mick Jagger said he did want to be doing "Satisfaction" at 40. Of course in your 20's lot's of folks see even 30 somethings as old. ::rocks