Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Great thread Mister Moon!!

Re: St. Petersburg, Florida - August 7, 1956

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Glad you like it, Joe !

Stay tuned. You ain't seen nothing yet ! :wink:

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Cool topic, Mister Moon. Keep up the great work.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Francesc wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Many thanks, Phil and Francesc.

Francesc wrote:when I posted threads like this, I did over the Picture section.

I thought about posting this stuff in the Picture Section, too. But I finally decided to do it in All Elvis, as it's not always strictly pictures, but a lot of text too.

Besides that, if these topics are barely noticed in All Elvis, I doubt anybody would even notice them in the Picture Section.

There's a crew of people that check more the Picture section than the other sections.

Yes, but all they care about are images, not words. Words have value, too. ;-)

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:03 pm

More clippings. These are all from page 21, and are continued from those from page 19 (see yesterday's post, please).

Here we get an exciting description of both the pre-Elvis performances, and of the Elvis performance itself. Lots more to follow, including great pics !

560808 14.JPG

560808 15.JPG

560808 16.JPG

560808 17.JPG

560808 18.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Of all the Presley opening acts, the Jordanaires seem to always get the best reviews, and quite rightly so.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 pm

jon_burrows wrote:Cool topic, Mister Moon. Keep up the great work.

Thanks a lot, jon_burrows. Glad you like it !

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Of all the Presley opening acts, the Jordanaires seem to always get the best reviews, and quite rightly so.

Yes, and I would have liked to see their act at that time. They were recording for Capitol Records, and were trying to reach the mainstream, non-gospel, market. Some of their late 50s / early 60s recordings for the label are interesting, and they include versions of Marty Robbins' "Sugaree", Webb Pierce's "I Ain't Never", and even a version of "Don't Be Cruel", which was released as late as 1962, if I'm not mistaken.

As for the Elvis show, you gotta love the inclusion of Phil Maraquin, "comic magician", in the bill. I mean, this is really bizarre ! People went to see a rock and roll act, and they had to face with this guy who had nothing to do at all with The Big Beat. It's so bizarre it's cool.

Thanks for your post.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:47 pm

More stuff from the "St. Petersburg Times", the day after the concerts.

560808 21.JPG

560808 6.JPG

560808 20.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:15 am

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Of all the Presley opening acts, the Jordanaires seem to always get the best reviews, and quite rightly so.

Yes, and I would have liked to see their act at that time. They were recording for Capitol Records, and were trying to reach the mainstream, non-gospel, market. Some of their late 50s / early 60s recordings for the label are interesting, and they include versions of Marty Robbins' "Sugaree", Webb Pierce's "I Ain't Never", and even a version of "Don't Be Cruel", which was released as far as 1962, if I'm not mistaken.

As for the Elvis show, you gotta love the inclusion of Phil Maraquin, "comic magician", in the bill. I mean, this is really bizarre ! People went to see a rock and roll act, and they had to face with this guy who had nothing to do at all with The Big Beat. It's so bizarre it's cool.

Thanks for your post.

It's also possible that the Jordanaires' close connection to Elvis, coupled with their exuberant style, won over a crowd that could hardly stand the other, tepid opening artists.

570400_Capitol F3610_Jordanaires.JPG
Jordanaires "Sugaree" (Capitol F3610, March 1957)
With Marvin Hughes' Orchestra

It appears that their spring 1957 release of "Sugaree" (Capitol F3610) did not chart, but did earn a trip to Republic Pictures in Hollywood, where they sang their little blues rocker on the big screen.

Billboard Apr 27 1957 p61.JPG
Billboard - April 27, 1957
Look for the Jordanaires film mention in the "Folk Talent and Tunes" column.

Sadly, it appears the film was delayed a release for more than three years, as Republic shut down their operations in 1958. It was released by Globe/Vista in 1961:

610500_Buffalo Gun_poster.JPG
Buffalo Gun
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/69853/Buffalo-Gun/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174522/companycredits?ref_=ttrel_ql_5

Republic Pictures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Pictures

Regardless, take a look at the rockin' lead vocals of Gordon Stoker! Pretty neat stuff.

phpBB [video]

Jordanaires "Sugaree" ("Buffalo Gun," Globe/Vista, May 1961)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Yes, and I would have liked to see their act at that time. They were recording for Capitol Records, and were trying to reach the mainstream, non-gospel, market. Some of their late 50s / early 60s recordings for the label are interesting, and they include versions of Marty Robbins' "Sugaree", Webb Pierce's "I Ain't Never", and even a version of "Don't Be Cruel", which was released as far as 1962, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for your post.

It's also possible that the Jordanaires' close connection to Elvis, coupled with their exuberant style, won over a crowd that could hardly stand the other, tepid opening artists.

570400_Capitol F3610_Jordanaires.JPG
Jordanaires "Sugaree" (Capitol F3610, March 1957)
With Marvin Hughes' Orchestra

It appears that their spring 1957 release of "Sugaree" (Capitol F3610) did not chart, but did earn a trip to Republic Pictures in Hollywood, where they sang their little blues rocker on the big screen.

Billboard Apr 27 1957 p61.JPG
Billboard - April 27, 1957
Look for the Jordanaires film mention in the "Folk Talent and Tunes" column.

Sadly, it appears the film was delayed a release for more than three years, as Republic shut down their operations in 1958. It was released by Globe/Vista in 1961:

610500_Buffalo Gun_poster.JPG
Buffalo Gun
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/69853/Buffalo-Gun/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174522/companycredits?ref_=ttrel_ql_5

Republic Pictures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Pictures

Regardless, take a look at the rockin' lead vocals of Gordon Stoker! Pretty neat stuff.

phpBB [video]

Jordanaires "Sugaree" ("Buffalo Gun," Globe/Vista, May 1961)

Many thanks this very interesting post on The Jordanaires, Doc.

By the way, I've noticed you sometimes include vintage pages from Billboard Magazine in your posts. Could you give us the source for this stuff ? It would be most interesting to have access to those huge musical archives ! Thanks again.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:40 am

As a few here are so quick to derisively retort, I use Google Book search to find some of these Billboard scans. Some are from my own archive.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:As a few here are so quick to derisively retort, I use Google Book search to find some of these Billboard scans. Some are from my own archive.

I see nothing wrong with using Google, or any other tool, in order to find information. Most of the clippings I post are also from Google.

Thanks.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 am

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As a few here are so quick to derisively retort, I use Google Book search to find some of these Billboard scans. Some are from my own archive.

I see nothing wrong with using Google, or any other tool, in order to find information. Most of the clippings I post are also from Google.

Thanks.

Nor do I. But one does need to be wary of the internet, as simple Google searches are almost never enough.

It is a useful tool, no doubt, but a savvy scholar must rely on their own education and experience to get to the real truth.

This is what those detractors conveniently ignore.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for the thread, Mister Moon.

And let me also take this opportunity to thank Francesc for his great site, truly a labour of love.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Francesc wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Many thanks, Phil and Francesc.

Francesc wrote:when I posted threads like this, I did over the Picture section.

I thought about posting this stuff in the Picture Section, too. But I finally decided to do it in All Elvis, as it's not always strictly pictures, but a lot of text too.

Besides that, if these topics are barely noticed in All Elvis, I doubt anybody would even notice them in the Picture Section.

There's a crew of people that check more the Picture section than the other sections.

Yes, but all they care about are images, not words. Words have value, too. ;-)

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. ;-)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks.

Nor do I. But one does need to be wary of the internet, as simple Google searches are almost never enough.

It is a useful tool, no doubt, but a savvy scholar must rely on their own education and experience to get to the real truth.

This is what those detractors conveniently ignore.

For those of us who have lived many years without the internet, it will always be an object, not a subject. A tool, not a finality.

We've grown used to fill our needs for information through magazines, books, liner notes, and so on. You had to work real hard in order to get credible information, and it kept on coming slowly. Nowadays, once you enter a new website, you can almost tell if it's credible or not just by its very design.

I've met more than one person who think things like "if it's not online, it doesn't exist", or "if you want to know about anything, you'll find it in the internet". Well, that's obviously laughable. The world, and its history, is incredibly huge and, luckily, there are many things that can't be found in the internet.

It's up to each one of us. I know what I can get, and what I can't get from the internet.

And I know I'm the subject, too.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Jove wrote:Thanks for the thread, Mister Moon.

You're welcome, Jove.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Phil wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Despite the extremely poor reactions to this kind of topics, I think I'll keep on posting them. Maybe this stuff is interesting to handful of people only, but it's definitely worth it bringing it alive.

Thanks again.

I have the same opinion as the others

The topic is interessant

Keep clipping

Yeah, hang in there. It wasn't too popular five years ago either (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39291)
Keep doing it for your own enjoyment if not anyone else's.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:36 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Yeah, hang in there. It wasn't too popular five years ago either (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39291)

Thanks, James.

Being a big fan of Elvis in the 50s, your website is like a place of pilgrimage to me. Too good to be true.

I'll keep doing it even if, as I said above, others have done it before me.

As Alan Freed once said in an interview (I don't have the source at hand, sorry), "rock and roll is above all of us".

Thanks again.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Yeah, hang in there. It wasn't too popular five years ago either (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39291)

Thanks, James.

Being a big fan of Elvis in the 50s, your website is like a place of pilgrimage to me. Too good to be true.

I'll keep doing it even if, as I said above, others have done it before me.

As Alan Freed once said in an interview (I don't have the source at hand, sorry), "rock and roll is above all of us".

Thanks again.

Thanks, definitely keep doing it. We're all fishing (or have fished) from the same pond(s) (and preferably not peeing in the same pool).

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Love the newspaper clippings,great stuff Mister Moon.

norrie

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:59 pm

norrie wrote:Love the newspaper clippings,great stuff Mister Moon.

norrie

Thanks, norrie !

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:23 pm

More from the incredibly wide coverage done by the "St. Petersburg Times" about Elvis' three concerts on August 7.

560808 8.JPG

560808 9.JPG

560808 10.JPG

560808 11.JPG

560808 12.JPG

Did Elvis finally vote for Eisenhower ?

Ten days later, while in Los Angeles working on his first movie, he said he was going to vote for Stevenson.

In the end, he voted for neither of them :

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-voting.html
Last edited by Mister Moon on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Mister Moon wrote:More from the incredibly wide coverage done by the "St. Petersburg Times" about Elvis' three concerts on August 7.

Did Elvis finally vote for Eisenhower ?

Ten days later, while in Los Angeles working on his first movie, he said he was going to vote for Stevenson.

In the end, he voted neither of them :

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-voting.html

That is a wonderful blog, run by Elvis historian Alan Hanson, and always worth a visit.

As noted there, Elvis apparently never voted, nor did he register with any political party. And Elvis did indeed tell a reporter in 1956 that he supported Democratic nominee Adlai Stevenson for President, the only time he ever gave such an explicit endorsement. Obviously, the comment to St. Petersburg Times reporter Wendy Gardiner was off-hand.

Time magazine - July 16, 1956

Privately, Elvis is known to have deeply admired Presidents John F. Kennedy (Democrat) and Richard M. Nixon (Republican).

On the weekend of November 23-24, 1963, he spent the entire time watching TV with Ann-Margret, both of them crying their eyes out over the coverage of the murder of JFK and its aftermath, like millions in the U.S. and around the world.

After Nixon resigned in disgrace, effective on August 9, 1974, Elvis was one of the people who called shortly after, when the ex-president fell ill with a blood clot, and had to spend time in Long Beach Memorial Hospital in September and October 1974.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:(...) Elvis apparently never voted, nor did he register with any political party. And Elvis did indeed tell a reporter in 1956 that he supported Democratic nominee Adlai Stevenson for President, the only time he ever gave such an explicit endorsement. Obviously, the comment to St. Petersburg Times reporter Wendy Gardiner was off-hand.

Time magazine - July 16, 1956

Privately, Elvis is known to have deeply admired Presidents John F. Kennedy (Democrat) and Richard M. Nixon (Republican).

On the weekend of November 23-24, 1963, he spent the entire time watching TV with Ann-Margret, both of them crying their eyes out over the coverage of the murder of JFK and its aftermath, like millions in the U.S. and around the world.

After Nixon resigned in disgrace, effective on August 9, 1974, Elvis was one of the people who called shortly after, when the ex-president fell ill with a blood clot, and had to spend time in Long Beach Memorial Hospital in September and October 1974.

Thanks a lot for this interesting post.