Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

St. Petersburg, Florida - August 7, 1956

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 pm

On Tuesday, August 7, 1956, Elvis performed three shows at the Florida Theatre, in St. Petersburg, Florida.

I have found several clippings related to these concerts. Here's three of them (the first one is split in two pieces), from the previous days. I will probably post more in the next few days, including the fabulous reviews and photos of the shows.

560802 ELVIS 1.JPG

560802 ELVIS 2.JPG

560802 ELVIS 3.JPG

560803.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: St. Petersburg, Florida - August 7, 1956

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:26 am

Thank you. Did you find those online?

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:49 am

I have an original ticket.

[urlImage][/url]

[url][URL=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/Guitarman71/media/EPCOLLECTION47_zps537f7070.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:51 am

epf wrote:Thank you. Did you find those online?

You're welcome, epf.

Yes, this can be found online. It's like a bottomless pit ! Not too difficult to do, but it takes time, even if you know which dates / places to look after.

Researchers have already found most of this stuff many years ago, when there was no internet at all, and they had to travel to public libraries, etc. It must have been a mammoth task to do. People still do it today, as there's still a lot to be found outside of the internet.

These are small pieces of the big puzzle, but it's all first-hand information, and I think it's a thrill to find it and preserve it.

Thanks !

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:58 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:I have an original ticket.

This is a beautiful item, Fairchild1171. It's an unused ticket. Where did you find it ?

Thanks !

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:42 am

Online, offline and in between.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 am

Mister Moon wrote:

You're welcome, epf.

Yes, this can be found online. It's like a bottomless pit ! Not too difficult to do, but it takes time, even if you know which dates / places to look after.

Researchers have already found most of this stuff many years ago, when there was no internet at all, and they had to travel to public libraries, etc. It must have been a mammoth task to do. People still do it today, as there's still a lot to be found outside of the internet.

These are small pieces of the big puzzle, but it's all first-hand information, and I think it's a thrill to find it and preserve it.

Thanks !

Every time I'm in a city where Elvis played, we always (or almost always) go to the Public Library. Also there are some newspapers that are online.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Francesc wrote:

Online, offline and in between.

Francesc, do you have the publishing date of this clipping ?

This must be from the "St. Petersburg Times" as well, as it's signed by Anne Rowe.

Thanks !

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:10 pm

I have a bunch in my website http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/news1956.htm scroll down to St Petersburg.

This one is St. Petersburg Times (July 24, 1956) (Pre-concert Article)

PM for a list of newspapers

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Francesc wrote:I have a bunch in my website http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/news1956.htm scroll down to St Petersburg.

Thanks, Francesc. You have an incredible collection of clippings in your site. This is most interesting, and it says a lot about your interest in Elvis.

But I don't want to steal your work, or anybody else's. I prefer to find this stuff by myself. It's funnier, if hardly original.

While looking for Elvis stuff, I also have the opportunity of reading other articles, or enjoying the layouts, the advertisements, etc. You can also find Elvis-related articles where you didn't expect to do it, and that's a great reward in itself.

Despite the extremely poor reactions to this kind of topics, I think I'll keep on posting them. Maybe this stuff is interesting to handful of people only, but it's definitely worth it bringing it alive.

Thanks again.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Well it is not stealing if you have my permission. :D

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:30 pm

Francesc wrote:Well it is not stealing if you have my permission. :D

This is so cool, Francesc. Thanks a million.

Records des de Barna. :D

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:35 pm

More neat stuff from the "St. Petersburg Times" about Elvis' appearances on August 7, 1956.

Here's an advertisement from August 4, as well as two clippings (an ad and an article) from the day of the shows. Dig it ! :

560804.JPG

560807 1.JPG

560807 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Francesc wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

You're welcome, epf.

Thanks !

Every time I'm in a city where Elvis played, we always (or almost always) go to the Public Library. Also there are some newspapers that are online.

Cool, that must be a fun thing to do. I am very happy with these kind of clippings, it makes things come to live. Thank you, guys!

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Mister Moon wrote:More neat stuff from the "St. Petersburg Times" about Elvis' appearances on August 7, 1956.

Here's an advertisement from August 4, as well as two clippings (an ad and an article) from the day of the shows. Dig it ! :

560804.JPG

560807 1.JPG

560807 2.JPG

Nice, thank you. Funny, he was dubbed the King of the Teens in some articles. Could it be that Parker requested that? It sounds like promo lingo.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:02 pm

epf wrote:
Francesc wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

You're welcome, epf.

Thanks !

Cool, that must be a fun thing to do. I am very happy with these kind of clippings, it makes things come to live. Thank you, guys!

Sometimes it is very fun, sometimes it is a waste of time and frustrating. Every Public library has a different system to read the microfilm and get photocopies. Some have their machines out of order, some have cool machines that we can make searches ...so it all depends. I don't remember if it was at DeLeon or one of the other 2 cities were Elvis played in July 4 that they didnt have a way to print so I had to take photos of the ad. :facep: I call this dedication.

And I'm lucky that my wife is more patient than me because sometimes I just want to turn around and say **** it ... :D

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:05 pm

epf wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:More neat stuff from the "St. Petersburg Times" about Elvis' appearances on August 7, 1956.

560804.JPG

560807 1.JPG

560807 2.JPG

Nice, thank you. Funny, he was dubbed the King of the Teens in some articles. Could it be that Parker requested that? It sounds like promo lingo.

Glad you like this, epf. You're welcome !

Yes, he was dubbed with many different names in those articles. It could be "promo lingo", that's for sure, but I think it was more of a "journalist lingo", where the guys and gals writing those articles tried to find an original way of naming that extravagant singer.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Here's today's dose of St. Petersburg wildness and mayhem !

Now is the turn for the articles and photos that appeared in the "St. Petersburg Times" the day after Elvis' three concerts there. There was a mention, and a great photo, in the front page, and lots of fantastic stuff inside.

As with other similar articles I've posted, I will upload them in pieces, as it's the only way I can save them from the internet, and also the only feasible way of posting them here.

It's real nice to note, in the second cutting here, the mention of Anne Muncy and Nila Shea, the two Elvis fans from St. Petersburg who were also present at the concerts Elvis performed in Tampa and Lakeland the previous two days. You can see them pictured in my thread about the Lakeland shows : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79494

560808 FRONT.JPG

560808 2.JPG

560808 3.JPG

560808 4.JPG

560808 5.JPG

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:13 am

Mister Moon wrote:
Francesc wrote:I have a bunch in my website http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/news1956.htm scroll down to St Petersburg.

Thanks, Francesc. You have an incredible collection of clippings in your site. This is most interesting, and it says a lot about your interest in Elvis.

But I don't want to steal your work, or anybody else's. I prefer to find this stuff by myself. It's funnier, if hardly original.

While looking for Elvis stuff, I also have the opportunity of reading other articles, or enjoying the layouts, the advertisements, etc. You can also find Elvis-related articles where you didn't expect to do it, and that's a great reward in itself.

Despite the extremely poor reactions to this kind of topics, I think I'll keep on posting them. Maybe this stuff is interesting to handful of people only, but it's definitely worth it bringing it alive.

Thanks again.

Don't be discouraged, at least 50 members have viewed this topic:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?mode=who_visited_a_topic&t=79612&f=1

It just seems that Elvis' Golden Decade seldom gets the love it deserves, especially when there are pages and pages to write about being out of his mind on stage in Houston twenty years later.

The August 1956 tour must have been quite an experience. It really is shameful there are no tape or film recordings.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:21 am

Mister Moon wrote:Despite the extremely poor reactions to this kind of topics, I think I'll keep on posting them. Maybe this stuff is interesting to handful of people only, but it's definitely worth it bringing it alive.

Like John says, don't be discouraged... I enjoy reading this information but I don't always feel the need to post about it... thank you for taking the time to share this with us... 1956 was an incredible year for Elvis!!

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Many thanks, Doc and elvis-fan. Your comments are much appreciated !

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:55 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks again.

I have the same opinion as the others

The topic is interessant

Keep clipping

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:10 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Many thanks, Doc and elvis-fan. Your comments are much appreciated !

when I posted threads like this, I did over the Picture section.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Many thanks, Phil and Francesc.

Francesc wrote:when I posted threads like this, I did over the Picture section.

I thought about posting this stuff in the Picture Section, too. But I finally decided to do it in All Elvis, as it's not always strictly pictures, but a lot of text too.

Besides that, if these topics are barely noticed in All Elvis, I doubt anybody would even notice them in the Picture Section.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Many thanks, Phil and Francesc.

Francesc wrote:when I posted threads like this, I did over the Picture section.

I thought about posting this stuff in the Picture Section, too. But I finally decided to do it in All Elvis, as it's not always strictly pictures, but a lot of text too.

Besides that, if these topics are barely noticed in All Elvis, I doubt anybody would even notice them in the Picture Section.

There's a crew of people that check more the Picture section than the other sections.