Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Darlene Love Steps To The Front!

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:How do you follow that performance by James Brown? He tore the stage up and the audience were literally on the edge of their seats throughout. At the end when he feints throwing his tie, what a showman and powerful voice. The talent pool was very deep back in the day.

If you have the superb official DVD release of "T.A.M.I. Show," look for Darlene Love, as described.

I saw her exactly as you described, clearly loving every second of that performance. I don't have the DVD yet, but after such a great reminder of this show, I will get it.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:How do you follow that performance by James Brown? He tore the stage up and the audience were literally on the edge of their seats throughout. At the end when he feints throwing his tie, what a showman and powerful voice. The talent pool was very deep back in the day.

If you have the superb official DVD release of "T.A.M.I. Show," look for Darlene Love, as described.

I saw her exactly as you described, clearly loving every second of that performance. I don't have the DVD yet, but after such a great reminder of this show, I will get it.

The DVD quality is better than anything that came before, especially the audio. A must-own item for any fan of rock 'n' roll, or Steve Binder.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

The DVD quality is better than anything that came before, especially the audio. A must-own item for any fan of rock 'n' roll, or Steve Binder.

This is totally off topic, but you bring up Steve Binder and I just noticed something this week, (after not noticing for decades), and that
he was in the credits for an episode of "Gilligan's Island" in which a british invasion group comes
to the island to relax. It went by quick but I think he was the director.
The Mosquitos was the band,(credits indicate=the wellingtons) but I like the part in which the ladies sing
a song called, "You need us". There were Beatles references as well.
The episode had a real musical feel for the times. I believe it was from late 1966.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:32 am

Snake Eyes wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Don't know of its true but I recall reading that Mick Jagged said the promoter moved the Stones to appear after James' performance. He said something to the effect that they knew they would be dead men walking following Brown and they apologized to Brown for closing the show. Can't imagine anyone following James.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:53 am

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:I saw her exactly as you described, clearly loving every second of that performance. I don't have the DVD yet, but after such a great reminder of this show, I will get it.

This is totally off topic, but you bring up Steve Binder and I just noticed something this week, (after not noticing for decades), and that
he was in the credits for an episode of "Gilligan's Island" in which a british invasion group comes
to the island to relax. It went by quick but I think he was the director.
The Mosquitos was the band,(credits indicate=the wellingtons) but I like the part in which the ladies sing
a song called, "You need us". There were Beatles references as well.
The episode had a real musical feel for the times. I believe it was from late 1966.

Steve Binder is mentioned because, of course, he co-produced and directed "Singer Presents Elvis" for NBC-TV in 1968, and Darlene was a cast member.

Binder directed two episodes of "Gilligan's Island," and it was likely the tipping point for being approved by Presley as director in 1968, since Elvis was an enormous fan of that timeless, CBS-TV sitcom.

"Don't Bug the Mosquitoes" (Thursday, December 9, 1965)
"The Second Ginger Grant" (Monday, March 6, 1967)

Steve Binder - IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004596/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr1#director

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 am

Darlene Love on David Letterman, talking about Elvis:

phpBB [video]

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:44 pm

I love the way she told it this time! LOL!

Like Elvis was ordering from a menu: "uh, I think I'll try the swordfish; never had swordfish before. And it looks good."

Elvis looked at women as though they were a buffet!

Tee-hee!

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Darlene (and The Blossoms) also recorded at American Sound in Memphis...

[youtube] http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtJPofkGEQ [/youtube]

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:39 am

rjm wrote:I love the way she told it this time! LOL!

Like Elvis was ordering from a menu: "uh, I think I'll try the swordfish; never had swordfish before. And it looks good."

Tee-hee!

rjm

LOL, and, "he didn't get any" lol.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:47 am

Mountain Misst wrote:

Tee-hee!

rjm

Good God, I needed a laugh!!!! Thanks. :smt005

rjm

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:30 pm

rjm wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:

Tee-hee!

rjm

So, you're basicially saying Elvis didn't get any "Love"? :wink:

rjm

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:12 pm

rjm wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:

Tee-hee!

rjm

rjm

There may be more to this anecdote than Darlene remembers.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:31 am

Darlene seems fond of telling how men wanted to sleep with her but were turned down. She's told stories about Elvis, Tom Jones, and recently Danny Glover. I guess that book sales are boosted by that kind of thing. I'm more interested in the music.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:29 am

rjm wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:

Tee-hee!

rjm

rjm

Ohhhh I only just saw this, you are welcome, lol :D :D :D

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:00 pm

fn2drive wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Don't know of its true but I recall reading that Mick Jagged said the promoter moved the Stones to appear after James' performance. He said something to the effect that they knew they would be dead men walking following Brown and they apologized to Brown for closing the show. Can't imagine anyone following James.

Mick has got the moves like Jagger, but even so, James Brown stole the show. Marvin Gaye a close second. You just cannot get tired of talent like that.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 pm

TJ wrote:Darlene seems fond of telling how men wanted to sleep with her but were turned down. She's told stories about Elvis, Tom Jones, and recently Danny Glover. I guess that book sales are boosted by that kind of thing. I'm more interested in the music.

She turned me down too!! :wink:

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:46 pm

TJ wrote:Darlene seems fond of telling how men wanted to sleep with her but were turned down. She's told stories about Elvis, Tom Jones, and recently Danny Glover. I guess that book sales are boosted by that kind of thing. I'm more interested in the music.

To be fair, Darlene is asked the question, she answers the question. It's unfair and unkind to imply she's telling lies to sell her book.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:44 pm

I didn't imply she was lying. I think the woman is pretty cool and certainly talented. I just care less about how randy Tom Jones or Elvis was, or how pervy Danny Glover sounds on the phone.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Perhaps Darlene just answered a question, and along with that, didn't want to be lumped in with the women who counted conquests, who liked to spend their down time with a red flag, a blue flag, a white flag and every other flag flying in the wind, with their legs up in the air, doing that exact thing, lol.

LOL, poor Joe Car, lol

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:06 am

TJ wrote:I didn't imply she was lying. I think the woman is pretty cool and certainly talented. I just care less about how randy Tom Jones or Elvis was, or how pervy Danny Glover sounds on the phone.

Perhaps I should better have written "pushing randy stories to sell her book." That was your implication, and it is unfair. If someone asks the question, it is within her right to answer it.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:22 am

She fails to mention that she made out with Elvis. so she was one of many that did that.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:24 am

Snake Eyes wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Mick has got the moves like Jagger, but even so, James Brown stole the show. Marvin Gaye a close second. You just cannot get tired of talent like that.

TAMI is fabulous. Wonder if Elvis saw it.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:46 am

TJ wrote:I didn't imply she was lying. I think the woman is pretty cool and certainly talented. I just care less about how randy Tom Jones or Elvis was, or how pervy Danny Glover sounds on the phone.

I just read the context of Darlene's reference to Danny. Seems that he phoned her, being quite randy, and she certainly wasn't interested, lol, not the way to approach someone without any relationship background or come-on, a "cold call" lol.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:10 pm

r&b wrote:TAMI is fabulous. Wonder if Elvis saw it.

I believe I read somewhere (I think it was Guralnick's book "Careless love") that Elvis saw this. And that he loved James Brown's performance.
James Brown is simply fantastic in TAMI, in my opinion. No performances by Elvis could ever touch the showmanship of this masterpiece.
Any fan of soulful American music (like Elvis) should check out this James Brown performance!

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Regarding Darlene and Elvis, I think one look at both of them in the Rubberneckin' scene in COH is enough to show you that there was some genuine chemistry at work there. I can't paste the link from here, as I'm on the TV set, but it's readily available. The back-and-forth eye contact is telling enough; Elvis looks at her, too, swirling his head around and grinning. It ain't rocket science! ;) ))

rjm