Re: On Stage Season FTD - any details on the source tapes us

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:51 am

Really love the rebooked release.
Following info from the great http://keithflynn.com site:

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:As much as I will like this offical release for a supposed upgraded sound taken from the original source ...

It is not "supposed" -- it is a fact the sound of these two shows (1-26-1970 OS, 2-23-1970 CS) has never been better than on 2013's FTD collection, mastered by Vic Anesini.

Well, even if it is a fact and done by the sound guru Vic Anesini, I´ll wait until I get it and then I will judge myself how great the sound is :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:35 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:As much as I will like this offical release for a supposed upgraded sound taken from the original source ...

It is not "supposed" -- it is a fact the sound of these two shows (1-26-1970 OS, 2-23-1970 CS) has never been better than on 2013's FTD collection, mastered by Vic Anesini.

Well, even if it is a fact and done by the sound guru Vic Anesini ...

There's no "if" involved. ;-)

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:14 pm

James27 wrote:I wish FTD would eventually release all previously unreleased multitrack material, including that on the Rebooked set, this season shows Elvis at his best or near-best after his '68 Comeback, despite some flaws, between the all-out approach of the '69 shows and the more relaxed, measured atmosphere of the August 1970 season.

I think each CD on this 'new' FTD has about 25 minutes of blank space on them, so to entice the ones who have already bought these same shows on bootleg time and time again, they could have added a few more unreleased live versions. That's the only way I would have bought these shows yet again.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

drjohncarpenter wrote:

How do you know this as fact? Have you got the FTD in your posession and sat and carefully compared to the 5 or 6 previous releases of these same old shows to the supposed 'new' sources???

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

drjohncarpenter wrote:

How do you know this as fact? Have you got the FTD in your posession and sat and carefully compared to the 5 or 6 previous releases of these same old shows to the supposed 'new' sources???

I don't know the answer to that question, but the source will definitely, not supposedly, be new to the many people like me who don't buy bootlegs. And if other fans choose to buy 5 or 6 previous releases of the "same old shows" that's their lookout. I'm not saying it's a bad or silly lookout but nobody made anybody buy 5 or 6 bootlegs of the same thing instead of waiting for a (possibly) superior official release :)

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:36 pm

But if one is a collector of Elvis concerts or other audio, then most people here would already have these shows already and bought them again and again because, like now with the forthcoming FTD's, we are told (hyped) that these are better quality... again.
Your theory, Mr. Volcano, is like saying I'm never going to buy the movie GI Blues on 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, VHS tape, DVD or blu, ray hoping that in even more years time, if we're still alive, that something even better turns up. So you will never see Elvis' movies until you are 138 years old!! :facep:

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Earlier generation source tapes are being mastered by a world class mastering engineer. Where exactly is the confusion?

Bootleggers have never really been known for their great mastering work.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:07 am

I'm glad I didn't wait a dozen years or more to hear these remarkable concerts.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:48 am

Tony.. wrote:But if one is a collector of Elvis concerts or other audio, then most people here would already have these shows already and bought them again and again because, like now with the forthcoming FTD's, we are told (hyped) that these are better quality... again.
Your theory, Mr. Volcano, is like saying I'm never going to buy the movie GI Blues on 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, VHS tape, DVD or blu, ray hoping that in even more years time, if we're still alive, that something even better turns up. So you will never see Elvis' movies until you are 138 years old!! :facep:

Yes, but don't forget Laser Disc too. "Elvis - The Lost Performances" only made it to VHS and Laser Disc as authorized releases.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:10 am

I hear what you say and I am often in awe of you guys' time & dedication, and a bit jealous I guess, as a shorter-term fan :(

Tony.. wrote:But if one is a collector of Elvis concerts or other audio, then most people here would already have these shows already and bought them again and again because, like now with the forthcoming FTD's, we are told (hyped) that these are better quality... again.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
James27 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Didn't those multi-tracks got released on the ON STAGE FTD ??

No, not all of it. The Rebooked set as well as their (Backdraft's) (excellent) 1-disc compilation included multitrack material that couldn't fit onto the excellent 2-disc FTD.
It also included the "rough mix" of the original On Stage album, which is a treat.

As has been mentioned before, Rebooked is primarily a nice box set of previously-released material from official and unofficial CDs, and cassettes. Follow That Dream's classic album edition of On Stage, released in 2012, includes the complete 2-19-1970 MS, remastered from the RCA multi-tracks.

The material that "couldn't fit" onto the FTD amounts to 9 cuts from the 2-19-1970 DS -- of which 3 are not songs at all but "Elvis Talks" -- and all of them taken from a cassette source.

Well, thx for the info about the source of the still officially unreleased audio on Rebooked. I wondered about that, since it sounded good, I assumed the sources were perhaps from the original master tapes. But collectors like me are sometimes like that, they want it all, and not having certain versions in multitrack quality on the official label, can drive them nuts, as a matter of speech :) Still, The existing FTD, as I already pointed out, is for me a great cohesive release. I understand the pacing.

I do hope FTD can find some way to release whatever's still unreleased from February 1970 and February 1972. Adding the undubbed masters from On Stage would be a good foundation, or else.. certain songs from shows from August 1969 and/or 1970 perhaps, that FTD decides will not see the light of day in the context of yet another complete concert from those years?

If it were me, I would like to have ALL multitrack material today in the best possible sound, but I understand the longer-term economics for not offering all the top-drawer (multitrack) all at once (in the case of 1969-1972 both show and sound quality), and also the intention to try and document each tour and engagement, were available.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Got mine in the mail today. Have listen to several cuts and sounds great, of course I don't have the boot to compare it to. Listened to through let it be me on the 2nd disc and I'm very pleased with the sound. Only negative is on parts where E is talking between songs the volume is very low.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 pm

I received "On Stage Season" last Friday and have listened to the opening show only. I do not own the bootleg so I don't have much to compare to. Elvis' vocals are way up front in the mix, to the point where I had to turn stereo down several times when he started yelling...err, uh singing, that is. There seems to be distortion on his microphone throughout the show. But, for an early 1970 soundboard with most of the songs sung live for the first time I must say that I am very impressed. Elvis had obviously worked out the kinks by the time RCA recorded shows in mid February. Great to hear only live version of "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" although the ending seems a bit off. I like it nonetheless. I really felt sorry for the horn section of Bobby Morris' Orchestra at the end of "Kentucky Rain"...haha. The booklet appears to be top notch as well with a few photos that I've never seen before. Thank you once again, FTD! Job well done.
Elvis Fan
PS I concur with previous post. As with most soundboards, Elvis' between song banter is almost inaudible.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Interesting after all this time that Sony had Vic master a soundboard for FTD... I wonder if they will continue to use him for soundboards moving forward??

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Elvis Fan wrote:I received "On Stage Season" last Friday and have listened to the opening show only. I do not own the bootleg so I don't have much to compare to. Elvis' vocals are way up front in the mix, to the point where I had to turn stereo down several times when he started yelling...err, uh singing, that is. There seems to be distortion on his microphone throughout the show. But, for an early 1970 soundboard with most of the songs sung live for the first time I must say that I am very impressed. Elvis had obviously worked out the kinks by the time RCA recorded shows in mid February. Great to hear only live version of "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" although the ending seems a bit off. I like it nonetheless. I really felt sorry for the horn section of Bobby Morris' Orchestra at the end of "Kentucky Rain"...haha. The booklet appears to be top notch as well with a few photos that I've never seen before. Thank you once again, FTD! Job well done.
Elvis Fan
PS I concur with previous post. As with most soundboards, Elvis' between song banter is almost inaudible.

You should hear the original bootleg release of this tape.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Elvis Fan wrote:I received "On Stage Season" last Friday and have listened to the opening show only. I do not own the bootleg so I don't have much to compare to. Elvis' vocals are way up front in the mix, to the point where I had to turn stereo down several times when he started yelling...err, uh singing, that is. There seems to be distortion on his microphone throughout the show. But, for an early 1970 soundboard with most of the songs sung live for the first time I must say that I am very impressed. Elvis had obviously worked out the kinks by the time RCA recorded shows in mid February. Great to hear only live version of "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" although the ending seems a bit off. I like it nonetheless. I really felt sorry for the horn section of Bobby Morris' Orchestra at the end of "Kentucky Rain"...haha. The booklet appears to be top notch as well with a few photos that I've never seen before. Thank you once again, FTD! Job well done.
Elvis Fan

Yes. Your description sounds very much like my Madison copy. Based on your comments it seems that there is very little, possibly no, difference between the FTD and the old Madison versions. I hope that someone that has both comments soon about how they compare. Until then I will have to wait. I feel like you. My Madisons have distortion etc. but they are still listenable and worth having.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:02 pm

L Ray wrote:Yes. Your description sounds very much like my Madison copy. Based on your comments it seems that there is very little, possibly no, difference between the FTD and the old Madison versions. I hope that someone that has both comments soon about how they compare. Until then I will have to wait. I feel like you. My Madisons have distortion etc. but they are still listenable and worth having.

Ack.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Ok folks...enough debating...could someone please post samples from the FTD release and be done with it ? The proof is in the pudding.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Ok folks...enough debating...could someone please post samples from the FTD release and be done with it ? The proof is in the pudding.

Yes. This is what needs to be done. Please somebody.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:43 am

I'll await until NOVEMBER ...when i get to hear my copies!~ :D

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:46 am

Just got the On Stage Season FTD. This is a tour de force effort by Ernst and company.

The master tapes sound superior to the sources used on the bootlegs. For example, if you compare disc 1 of On Stage Season to the Opening Night Madison bootleg, you will notice that the bootleg sounds compressed, congested and muffled in comparison. While sonically inferior, the Madison releases were important in raising the profile of this material, and perhaps led FTD to acquire the source tapes. In fairness to Madison, perhaps they only had access to tape copies.

Yes, these are not perfect live recordings, and there are some instances of overmodulation distortion on the master tapes, but trust me, these shows have never sounded better than this new FTD.

Anesini's sensitive mastering leaves the dynamics intact (instead of the fatiguing overcompression on the bootlegs).

Ernst and the FTD team should be lauded for obtaining the master tapes and publishing this essential, historically important release. For the very first time, we can now enjoy TWO full complete concerts from the Jan/Feb 1970 engagement in the best possible fidelity. This is all the more significant when we realize that RCA didn't record any complete shows from this engagement on multitrack tape.

Greater resolution, clarity, warmth and dynamics. You will hear all of these qualities on the new On Stage Season FTD.

Bravo FTD!

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:58 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:Just got the On Stage Season FTD. This is a tour de force effort by Ernst and company.

The master tapes sound superior to the sources used on the bootlegs. For example, if you compare disc 1 of On Stage Season to the Opening Night Madison bootleg, you will notice that the bootleg sounds compressed, congested and muffled in comparison. While sonically inferior, the Madison releases were important in raising the profile of this material, and perhaps led FTD to acquire the source tapes. In fairness to Madison, perhaps they only had access to tape copies.

Yes, these are not perfect live recordings, and there are some instances of overmodulation distortion on the master tapes, but trust me, these shows have never sounded better than this new FTD.

Anesini's sensitive mastering leaves the dynamics intact (instead of the fatiguing overcompression on the bootlegs).

Ernst and the FTD team should be lauded for obtaining the master tapes and publishing this essential, historically important release. For the very first time, we can now enjoy TWO full complete concerts from the Jan/Feb 1970 engagement in the best possible fidelity. This is all the more significant when we realize that RCA didn't record any complete shows from this engagement on multitrack tape.

Greater resolution, clarity, warmth and dynamics. You will hear all of these qualities on the new On Stage Season FTD.

Bravo FTD!

What I said. ;-)

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:58 am

Like Polk Salad and Sweet Caroline on disc one. Can tell he was finding his way with the new songs but they never sounded better. I never had the boots on these and I'm glad FTD put them out. Great job again FTD and Ernst, keep them rolling.