Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS' PERSONAL RECORD COLLECTION

Sat May 10, 2003 6:36 pm

The estate are about to issue a comprehensive list of Elvis' personal record collection to those folks who have joined their collectors club.
Any member care to assist by putting the listings on this messageboard or possibily e-mail them to me ?
I am expecting someone to say, "JOIN THE CLUB"...I would if I thought it was good value for the fees they charge, but this is the first and only item I've been interested to date. So, I really would not have had any reason to join. If this appeal does not bring forth a result, fine, so be it.

Sat May 10, 2003 7:33 pm

One of my favorite parts of a surprisingly great little book called "The Rough Guide to ELVIS" by Paul Simpson (Rough Guides/Penguin, 2002) is the section on pages 217- 225 about Elvis' diverse record collection. It says so much about the man and I'm surprised this subject doesn't come up more.

It lists 30 selected singles and ten albums and what a list it is, including the likes of Bobby "Blue" Bland, B.B. King, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, the Animals, Jim Croce, James Brown, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, the Clovers and more.

I could list the specifics but it's a fine book (even for us "experts") that deserves our support.

Sat May 10, 2003 9:48 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:One of my favorite parts of a surprisingly great little book called "The Rough Guide to ELVIS" by Paul Simpson (Rough Guides/Penguin, 2002) is the section on pages 217- 225 about Elvis' diverse record collection. It says so much about the man and I'm surprised this subject doesn't come up more.

It lists 30 selected singles and ten albums and what a list it is, including the likes of Bobby "Blue" Bland, B.B. King, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, the Animals, Jim Croce, James Brown, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, the Clovers and more.

I could list the specifics but it's a fine book (even for us "experts") that deserves our support.

Gregory, I absolutely agree on the "Rough Guide" being a great book. Unfortunately it seems to be still pretty unknown among fans. Maybe the title is a little misguiding. One should probably say that it isn't for Elvis "beginner's". IMO you already have to be a little further into the Elvis world to be able to really appreciate it.

My favorite chapters - besides the one you mentioned - are the whole "Influences" section, "The Canon - 50 essential Elvis songs and the stories behind them" and of course "The Movies". It almost seems to me that for the first time ever an author has given them the appreciation they deserve. The in-depth reviews are great and the rating is absolutely fair and appropriate. Simpsons discovers many interesting little pop culture stories and significances.

If you don't have it, go and buy it - I promise you won't regret it. An interesting interview with Simpson can be found here: http://www.elvis.com.au/articles/interviews/interview_paulsimpson.htm

Uh, what was the subject?! ;)

Sat May 10, 2003 9:56 pm

See-See, great points.

The title alone of the Paul Simpson put me off when i saw it. As a long time fan, I figured this book was just "for beginners" ("why do I need a 'rough guide'," etc.) but within minutes I realized, that it was a must-buy. I look at it often and it would be very well-received by most here. It really is ideal for Elvis-Know-It-Alls.

It always bothered me though that Mr. Simpson (actually an alias!) didn't disclose his source for the record collection listing but I assume it's legit.

Sun May 11, 2003 12:56 am

Thanks for that great link with the interview with Simpson, I will think about buying that book of him...

About Elvis' record collection: didn't he play his own records quite a lot? I think I've heard something like that on a documentary: someone who visited Graceland told that Elvis was always playing his own records....