20%
60's
16%
70's
64%

Total votes : 86

The ultimate poll

Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:22 pm

Always wanted to do this. Seems certain people have their strong opinions what is the best era. I want to put it to the test. This is about YOUR favorite and not just what critics say or ability and what is popular...or whatever. This is all about how YOU feel. Think about what has most influenced YOU as a listener or movie watcher or concert watcher or even interview listener!

Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:32 am

I agree - this is a good poll. Everybody vote! 8)

Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:45 am

With all the respect- simplistic but effective

good work !

E-Cat
Last edited by E-Cat on Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

EVERYBODY POST....pretty please!

Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:11 am

Thanks E-CAT and Rich_TCB. I too want to see everybody vote. I want a CLEAR idea what is the most popular/influential from all the posters. Lets shed some real light on what is considered the most important in the eyes of the REAL fans(well not that we are the only ones.lol). All the decades are great, but I want to find out without the critics and media, what is most important to the people in general. Incindently, I was the only one so far that voted for the 60's!!

Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:19 am

Cool post!
Thanks G!
:lol: :shock: :D

Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:55 am

I went with the sixties. Started with ELVIS IS BACK and ended with the Memphis sessions. Also the tv special, the movies. Also the Vegas comback, alot of stuff, mostly very good.

Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:37 am

Glad to see the 70's is in the lead! :P :P

Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:49 am

I think most would know I voted for the Seventies. Although I like a lot of Sixties (one of my Favourites is Suspicious Minds) and even Fifties stuff. But couldn't do without the Seventies. :mrgreen:
Last edited by sam on Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:50 am

As am I! And I'd like BMG to check this out and respond accordingly with more 70's releases. And EPE to use images from the 70's Elvis more, from Graceland displays to memorabilia they sell and whatever else. By not promoting Elvis in the 70's too much, it is like they are admitting to people critical of Elvis in the final phase of his life (or just the people who have heard all the rumors and haven't been set straight) that they are right and he WAS a big, fat drugged-out loser during this period and couldn't sing a lick.

BUMP ONE MORE TIME

Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:41 am

I know this is a dead link, but I do want to get a stronger vote. I REALLY want to know what people think on this board. It would mean a lot to me if EVERYBODY voted. Even if I can't get ALL people to vote, I just would like a better representation of the people on this board. I know there is a hell of a lot more people then 45. I realize this may be annoying. For that I apologize, but this is all I really ask so PRETTY Please. If you haven't voted, just take a moment. Cuss me out, that is okay with me. But do vote after you do that! lol

Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:46 am

My vote has been cast. I went with the 70's.....

Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:58 am

Yeah my apologies. I want to first take the time and thank the people that did vote. I am glad you gave me the time of day. I try to vote on other people's polls just as much.

Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:12 am

Always preferred the 70's (and voted accordingly).
Nice to see the majority of voters chose the same.
:)

Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:49 am

Voted 60's ; The Comeback ( the return from the Army the only comeback ELvis made), The Movies, The Gospel albums, The TV SPecials, The Return to Live performances, the 69 sessions. That decades got it all -and its the only 'complete' decade we had.

Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:22 am

This was a difficult decision for various reasons...

HOWEVER...I chose the 70s because ELVIS' voice and sound/music only improved with age! (Kinda like wine...)

ON THE OTHER HAND...I would have to say without ELVIS in the 50s...I would never have come to know about ELVIS and to "grow up with him!"

THEN OF COURSE...there is ELVIS in the 60s...ummmmmm...all the movies ELVIS left for us to enjoy as well as his FIRST TV SPECIAL! Then of course, his COME BACK TO LIVE PERFORMANCES...All in the 1960s...

SEE why it is such a difficult desicion???

Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:34 am

good poll, let's keep it going, and my favourite decade keeps wining! (the 70's) :lol:

Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:52 am

So what cracks me up is that the most critically accepted decade is in last place!! Still who knows, there are still a lot of voters yet to click. Maybe they are waiting till the last minute. lol Interesting point brought up about the 60's. Love all the decades, but the 60's is my favorite. Though the 70's would be my second choice.

In retrospect, why does the 70's continue to get the shaft? Tons of material, but yet this decade is not exhausted in the commercial market.

Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:38 am

paulwood wrote:Voted 60's ; The Comeback ( the return from the Army the only comeback ELvis made), The Movies, The Gospel albums, The TV SPecials, The Return to Live performances, the 69 sessions. That decades got it all -and its the only 'complete' decade we had.

Hmmm... that makes sense..... can I change my vote please :wink:

Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:00 pm

Paul Wood always seems to come up with the most well thought out, logical answers, but that doesn't keep me from disagreeing with him once in a while :D

I too am rethinking my vote, but very early in this poll I voted for the 1970's and I'll tell ya why. (Thanks for asking :mrgreen: )

I love the '68 Special and the movie soundtracks and the Nashville studio songs and the Memphis 1969 sessions, If I Can Dream is my favorite Elvis song, but seeing the Aloha special was the most significant thing I saw that turned me into a fan. So for Burning Love, the sad personal songs, Aloha, the Moody Blue album and the jumpsuits, I voted for the last incomplete decade Elvis gave us.

Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:26 pm

What's an Aggie?

Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:25 pm

My vote is for the fifties, as that is when i got hooked on Elvis, but like the sixties, love the seventies.

Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:34 pm

I cast my vote for the 70's in the poll a few days ago, although my favourite period is 1968 - 1977 which encompasses a lot of high points from the 60's (as outlined in above postings) too.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:37 am

Clint, I use the 68-77 descriptive as well, but now that I listen to the soundtracks so much I might have to change that to 60-77, and when BMG comes out with more 50's material in better sound I'll simply be a fan of the 54-77 period. :?

KiwiAlan- Aggie(a derivative of the word agriculture) refers to clan in east central Texas in the valley of the Brazos river. Simply put, an Aggie is a student or former student of Texas A&M University.

Today, April 21st is the date Aggie Muster is held. So my signature with the descriptive is only for today. Aggie Muster became official in 1922, but it has its roots in social gatherings of the late 1800s. Muster gained international fame in 1942 when Gen. George Moore ’08 led 25 men in Muster during the Japanese siege of the Philippine island of Corregidor. Today, more than 400 Musters are held worldwide.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:38 am

ok what have we got now. 66 out of 250 + posters on this board have posted. Hmm. C'mon people, remember it your freedom to vote in this country, so show your Elvis spirit!

Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:05 am

THe seventies started out great! But to see him go down hill so fast. The sixties were for the most part positive, and I love Elvis movies. If only Elvis had made it through the seventies