Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Susan Boyle to duet with elvis

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:35 am

Matt Ashton wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:Totally unnecessary, and nothing excuses anyone being so mean spirited. I won't repeat what you said about Susan's face, which was mainly my point. You have joined Rupert Murdoch's lot, what a shame.

I have obviously offended your delicate sensibilities and for that I apologize. perhaps it is time to move on.... oh wait a minute

Mountain Misst wrote:Thank you :D

Such a shame that people are more interested in what is outside than inside, as is the "modern ways" following the money making media, like sheep. Our society is down the loo like some of the people who are banned from here.

You thank somebody who is having a swipe at me (which by they way I don't care about, I'm thick skinned) and see that as ok, however I'm sure you don't see that as mean spirited? sa la vie

You took so much offense at an innocent "thank you" which was only manners, and nothing else, imagine how Susan and her family and friends would feel if they read what you wrote about her face, when you find a "thank you" insulting. Imagine it!!!!

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:00 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:For those of you who like those silly fake duets, i suggest you read Luther Moore's excellent artice in the latest issue of ETM&HM called "Two's Company" pages 14/15.

My thoughts exactly Luther Moore, well done, great article!

The article is over-the-top. I'm not saying I "like those silly fake duets", as such, but OCAYF is not silly. It's straightforward and well done by two people who can sing. At least it's not an overdone, sampled, disco-beat-laden remix.

I happen to like the Christmas Duets CD, too. It just made a nice change. I played it a couple of weeks ago on a long car journey and it really put me in the Christmas mood. For me, it was Elvis being 'brought out of the cold' and into the 21st Century. It didn't destroy anything in the Elvis world and was not in any way untasteful.

"To each his own", as someone once said.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:09 am

Steve Morse wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:For those of you who like those silly fake duets, i suggest you read Luther Moore's excellent artice in the latest issue of ETM&HM called "Two's Company" pages 14/15.

The article is over-the-top. I'm not saying I "like those silly fake duets", as such, but OCAYF is not silly. It's straightforward and well done by two people who can sing. At least it's not an overdone, sampled, disco-beat-laden remix.

I happen to like the Christmas Duets CD, too. It just made a nice change. I played it a couple of weeks ago on a long car journey and it really put me in the Christmas mood. For me, it was Elvis being 'brought out of the cold' and into the 21st Century. It didn't destroy anything in the Elvis world and was not in any way untasteful.

Like i said to someone else on this thread "if fake duets float your boat then i feel sorry for you"

Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:01 am

Mountain Misst wrote:
Matt Ashton wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:Totally unnecessary, and nothing excuses anyone being so mean spirited. I won't repeat what you said about Susan's face, which was mainly my point. You have joined Rupert Murdoch's lot, what a shame.

I have obviously offended your delicate sensibilities and for that I apologize. perhaps it is time to move on.... oh wait a minute

Mountain Misst wrote:Thank you :D

Such a shame that people are more interested in what is outside than inside, as is the "modern ways" following the money making media, like sheep. Our society is down the loo like some of the people who are banned from here.

You thank somebody who is having a swipe at me (which by they way I don't care about, I'm thick skinned) and see that as ok, however I'm sure you don't see that as mean spirited? sa la vie

You took so much offense at an innocent "thank you" which was only manners, and nothing else, imagine how Susan and her family and friends would feel if they read what you wrote about her face, when you find a "thank you" insulting. Imagine it!!!!

Please read my comments more closely, it clearly states "(which by they way I don't care about, I'm thick skinned)" I leave offence for those who are thin skinned :smt006

Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Matt Ashton wrote: I would kill for my family!

A spanner being the weapon of choice? :wink:

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:47 pm

jungleroombear wrote:
Matt Ashton wrote: I would kill for my family!

A spanner being the weapon of choice? :wink:

Mohahahahah

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:41 am

The single is now No1 on Amazon UK singles chart.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/ ... ef=sr_bs_1

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:23 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:

Like i said to someone else on this thread "if fake duets float your boat then i feel sorry for you"

Luther makes a valid point. After all, he holds an opinion that is at one end of the spectrum – which means he hates artificial duets.

But, unlike most pieces in Elvis The Man and His Music, it is all one-sided: He can’t stand such duets and doesn’t believe there are any benefits coming out of creating duets. He says a duet will not create interest in the back catalogue or draw in new fans.

He is furious – he calls Sony/BMG “dimwits”, takes a swipe at Priscilla and EPE and slams corporate greed. He also says Elvis’ genius is impaired by association with such products (and performers) and also Elvis’ talent has been chipped away. He says the “Christmas Duets” project (which went on to earn a gold album award ) received a “universal mauling”. It is, he says like updating a Turner painting.

These are all arguments we’ve heard before, so I don’t see anything unusual in Luther ‘s views.
He does however make a point we can all agree with: there is no interaction, spontaneity or playfulness in duets such as these. But, I thought we all knew that. That’s why post August 1977 projects involving Elvis’s voice – whether Felton Jarvis’ work, the Elvis Medley, JXL, the Xmas Duets album or even Virtual Elvis concerts – were never expected to match the original, real thing.

I can see why people don’t like a Susan Boyle duet, because I can see that updating is not the same as having the original out there. But, I also believe that the public will be able to distinguish between a remix or a duet and the original recording - should they then find their way to the originals. I became a fan through an unusual route, so I tend to disagree that an official duet with Susan Boyle will erode Elvis’ reputation.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Well written Suds, and if anyone know people who likes the duet, maybe you can point them in the direction of Elvis' original recording as can be found on many Elvis christmas compilations and also on the new "the nations fav. Elvis songs", and maybe there will be yet another fan.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:32 pm

As I saId before why is everyone getting so upset with this duet, its a fake duet, they didnt do anything with Elvis' vocal at all, only put it on a track with Boyle. Everyone knows its a fake duet, I dont see the harm. I didnt like the Christmas duets album a few years ago but I dont see much wrong with a few well constructed ones. I thought the Martina McBride one worked well. But if they were to do another duets album could they not get some major stars and groups to do it like U2, Tom Jones, McCartney.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:34 pm

alanfalk wrote:Well written Suds, and if anyone know people who likes the duet, maybe you can point them in the direction of Elvis' original recording as can be found on many Elvis christmas compilations and also on the new "the nations fav. Elvis songs", and maybe there will be yet another fan.

I dont think any Elvis fan would prefer a duet to the original however maybe somewhere in the world a Susan Boyle fan might be now an Elvis fan because of this duet.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:40 pm

A duet with Susan Boyle might lead non fans into perhaps the 68 comeback special, or the sun sessions, his movies, whatever, where they will discover what all the fuss was about and his genius. Different avenues have to be taken with an artist who has been dead for 36 years.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:23 pm

nod3million wrote:
alanfalk wrote:Well written Suds, and if anyone know people who likes the duet, maybe you can point them in the direction of Elvis' original recording as can be found on many Elvis christmas compilations and also on the new "the nations fav. Elvis songs", and maybe there will be yet another fan.

I dont think any Elvis fan would prefer a duet to the original however maybe somewhere in the world a Susan Boyle fan might be now an Elvis fan because of this duet.

I believe that the target audience is one and the same, we could argue that the vast majority of Elvis fans are of a certain age group, and that they would be more likely to consider listening to Susan Boyle, than lets say someone in their 20's or early 30's. There will probably be some cross over, but not very much.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 pm

I don't think many if any Subo fans will become Elvis fans after hearing this duet. They just wouldn't turn on to the ''68 Special' or the 'Sun Sessions', they just wouldn't get it. In my circle of friends and other people I've asked, Subo is regarded as a novelty artist, who isn't taken that serious by music fans on this side of 'The Pond'.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:46 pm

jon_burrows wrote:I don't think many if any Subo fans will become Elvis fans after hearing this duet. They just wouldn't turn on to the ''68 Special' or the 'Sun Sessions', they just wouldn't get it. In my circle of friends and other people I've asked, Subo is regarded as a novelty artist, who isn't taken that serious by music fans on this side of 'The Pond'.

That's not necessarily true. First of all, the music industry has changed dramatically and whether Subo is a "novelty artist" or not, fact is she is well-known. Secondly, how can you not get the 68 comeback special, the greatest rock & roll and music ever performed, all on beautiful video.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:05 am

Joe Car wrote:
jon_burrows wrote:I don't think many if any Subo fans will become Elvis fans after hearing this duet. They just wouldn't turn on to the ''68 Special' or the 'Sun Sessions', they just wouldn't get it. In my circle of friends and other people I've asked, Subo is regarded as a novelty artist, who isn't taken that serious by music fans on this side of 'The Pond'.

That's not necessarily true. First of all, the music industry has changed dramatically and whether Subo is a "novelty artist" or not, fact is she is well-known. Secondly, how can you not get the 68 comeback special, the greatest rock & roll and music ever performed, all on beautiful video.

It's true amongst the people I've asked, Joe. Personally, I don't know how you wouldn't get the '68 Special, I'm an Elvis fan. That being said, I don't get her music, so, In my opinion if they enjoy her music, I don't think they'd be interested in 'Sun Sessions' etc.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:07 am

I hope Susan gives it her all if she does any live performances of the Duet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5g-WCZvY8o

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:14 pm

jungleroombear wrote:I hope Susan gives it her all if she does any live performances of the Duet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5g-WCZvY8o

Without wanting to offend, but having watched the youtube clip I am now more than ever saddened by Elvis being paired with Susan Boyle, and no, not because of her looks but the fact that her performance was unprofessional, amateurish and substandard. People can have an off day, lord knows even the king had them but Susan Boyle should mime when her live act is so poor :facep:

People will associate Elvis with Susan Boyle and make him a laughing stock. Terrible, just terrible.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Clearly a lot of fans of this forum have zero goodwill or appreciation for Susan Boyle, who is neither a novelty act or a poor singer. She's been hugely successful, is well liked and is a very capable vocalist. She's not a confident performer, and that's clear for anyone to see -- the best of them make mistakes. But when your sole intentions are to sneer and ridicule, then it wouldn't make an iota of difference who this duet was recorded with. But we'll see how successful her album is and whether anyone who likes this project finds themselves sharing in the ridicule that's apparently forthcoming. Or whether they will just enjoy a novelty recording for the season and appreciate its success and a bit more exposure for Elvis and his music. But those finding this so difficult to endure will either have to accept this release and move on, or keep churning out the same garbage post-after-post.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:54 pm

greystoke wrote:Clearly a lot of fans of this forum have zero goodwill or appreciation for Susan Boyle, who is neither a novelty act or a poor singer. She's been hugely successful, is well liked and is a very capable vocalist. She's not a confident performer, and that's clear for anyone to see -- the best of them make mistakes. But when your sole intentions are to sneer and ridicule, then it wouldn't make an iota of difference who this duet was recorded with. But we'll see how successful her album is and whether anyone who likes this project finds themselves sharing in the ridicule that's apparently forthcoming. Or whether they will just enjoy a novelty recording for the season and appreciate its success and a bit more exposure for Elvis and his music. But those finding this so difficult to endure will either have to accept this release and move on, or keep churning out the same garbage post-after-post.

another common sense post that I totally agree with, some of you should read and read and read and read and read...and read some more :wink:

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:48 am

greystoke wrote:Clearly a lot of fans of this forum have zero goodwill or appreciation for Susan Boyle, who is neither a novelty act or a poor singer. She's been hugely successful, is well liked and is a very capable vocalist. She's not a confident performer, and that's clear for anyone to see -- the best of them make mistakes. But when your sole intentions are to sneer and ridicule, then it wouldn't make an iota of difference who this duet was recorded with. But we'll see how successful her album is and whether anyone who likes this project finds themselves sharing in the ridicule that's apparently forthcoming. Or whether they will just enjoy a novelty recording for the season and appreciate its success and a bit more exposure for Elvis and his music. But those finding this so difficult to endure will either have to accept this release and move on, or keep churning out the same garbage post-after-post.

Clearly you are seeing something more from Susan than I am! It is not a question of sneering for sneerings sake, I have enjoyed other duets including the project with Celine Dion. Susan Boyle may well be capable, but capable isn't cutting the mustard IMO. I make these comments because I am a huge Elvis fan and I care about how he is viewed and the quality of the artists associated with him. Are we now saying that as a fandom we now accept anybody doing a duet with Elvis? Surely there needs to be a line drawn, a quality control to ensure we safeguard Elvis' legacy. If not where will it end? If that sounds snooty, then maybe it is and I make no apology, but again that is because what is done in Elvis' name today will be available to view many years from now and what might seem like a bit of harmless dueting can mark a turning point in quality.

I would love to see someone like Michael Bublé who can sing and has a stage presence duet with Elvis ,Michael Bublé is a contemporary old style crooner who would introduce Elvis to a younger audience than that of Susan Boyle.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:05 am

I agree Buble would be a better choice alright but it's not really a huge deal at all. How many young people, I'm 38 but I'm talking 18 to 29 year olds are actually going to listen to Boyle's cd??? Very few if any. I think people here are getting all defensive about this duet for nothing.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 am

nod3million wrote:I think people here are getting all defensive about this duet for nothing.

wait till Sony puts out a 2xCD release with nothing but duets with Elvis... :smt022 let the crying begin :lol:

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:20 am

sweetangeline wrote:
nod3million wrote:I think people here are getting all defensive about this duet for nothing.

wait till Sony puts out a 2xCD release with nothing but duets with Elvis... :smt022 let the crying begin :lol:

Yeah well that's a different thing altogether. The Boyle duet is not going to do Elvis harm, probably won't go much good either but it's not worth the backlash it's getting.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:32 am

nod3million wrote:Yeah well that's a different thing altogether. The Boyle duet is not going to do Elvis harm, probably won't go much good either but it's not worth the backlash it's getting.

...and I agree