Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Susan Boyle to duet with elvis

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:21 am

MaryAnn wrote:I've been giving this question some thought.

Perhaps it comes down to whether we regard Elvis an artist, or whether we regard him as a marketable commodity. It's an age-old question. In Elvis' case, it's even more confusing since the performer himself never seemed sure of the answer.

His manager was sure. In fact, the question probably never crossed his mind. His client was a marketable commodity and he was just the person to market him. End of story.

But time changes our attitudes towards an individual and their body of work. It changes our perspective. After a lifetime of listening to fantastic music, I finally realized that Elvis Presley's music was unique, better than most -- no, better than all -- in a class by itself. He was an artist, whether he (or his manager, or those around him) knew it or not. The important thing is, I know it now.

To see any artist's work tampered with is a desecration. For better or worse, it came from their soul and it is theirs. I think artists have a right to know when they die that they will be judged by future generations on exactly what they created. They and their work should not be at the mercy of the latest fad.

Technology is a blessing and a curse. How we choose to let it affect "art," is a serious question.

That was lovely, MaryAnn. Your posts are always a pleasure to read. :)

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:27 am

Thank you, InheritTheWind. Most appreciated.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:45 am

Perhaps it comes down to whether we regard Elvis an artist, or whether we regard him as a marketable commodity. It's an age-old question. In Elvis' case, it's even more confusing since the performer himself never seemed sure of the answer.

His manager was sure. In fact, the question probably never crossed his mind. His client was a marketable commodity and he was just the person to market him. End of story.

But time changes our attitudes towards an individual and their body of work. It changes our perspective. After a lifetime of listening to fantastic music, I finally realized that Elvis Presley's music was unique, better than most -- no, better than all -- in a class by itself. He was an artist, whether he (or his manager, or those around him) knew it or not. The important thing is, I know it now.

To see any artist's work tampered with is a desecration. For better or worse, it came from their soul and it is theirs. I think artists have a right to know when they die that they will be judged by future generations on exactly what they created. They and their work should not be at the mercy of the latest fad.

Technology is a blessing and a curse. How we choose to let it affect "art," is a serious question.

Beautifully and gently said, MaryAnn, thank you :D

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:06 am

Mountain Misst wrote:

Beautifully and gently said, MaryAnn, thank you :D

Yes. It's refreshing to hear a feminine voice amid all the testosterone! Gentle is good. MaryAnn and Mountain Misst are two of the nicest members on this forum. :D

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:18 am

Yes it is.

Remember in the 80's when they first started to colorize old black and white films?

Purist fans and performers were up in arms. Actors and directors were getting really pissed off
because they were tampering with thier work, and they didn't appreciate it one bit.
They were marketing it, not as art, but as a comodity. They wanted to update it, make it more
pallitable to a newer generation, that may not watch a black and white film no matter how good it is.

I have to agree, to some degree.

Who's going to tell the director, "you have your original, so stop complaining".

That's why that line people keep saying where I can go back and listen to Elvis' version, is really not the point.

The point is the tampering. Is it ethical? Is it right? How does it change pop culture.

But then again, tampering in other forms takes place.

The Beatles recorded songs early on in stereo or binaural but they were mixed down to mono.

Then later released in stereo.

Elvis' music keeps going thru mixing and mastering tampering.

Elvis himself complained that he would record songs and later listen to the mix and find out
they put his voice too far upfront, and some other differences that were different than what he heard
in playbacks. That is tampering.

This type of tampering for pure gimicicky reasons to appeal to this new technology driven generation,
takes it to a new level. There is no limits with what they can or will do.
They will sample audio pieces and put them together like a puzzle to come up with some
kind of "art".

And they will tell you, "you still have the original".

Or "you don't have to buy it".

But does that jusify it?

If it does, and money is the only motivation, then forget about an artists legacy, just put
out bobble heads, ducks, fake duets, til the cows come home, and have impersonator contests in the front yard of Graceland, because if it makes money do it, cause we all know that, Elvis the artist and his music and movies are all gonna still be there to enjoy. Right?

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:03 am

How many songs in Elvis' cannon that can be categorised as 'art' is subjective. The fact that in the UK at least there will be a high profile TV show and album then the 'Subo Duo' can only be a good thing as it is keeping his legacy alive. At least it's the man himself and any criticism can then be assessed on his performance. Though comparing Elvis Presley to Susan Boyle is a frightening thought!

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:35 pm

"But it would have worked better if she had sung Adesti Fidelis in Latin, and if there had been a choir"

No choir ? I hear a choir (singing sweetly somewhere), albeit it's a children's choir and/or synthetic choir effects.

I've just listened to the track again and I think it's beautiful. What do people want/expect ? The opening, with the piano chords, is respectful to the Elvis recording, Elvis's voice comes across as rich and masculine and the whole thing is very tasteful. Susan Boyle is a 'proper' singer, not one of the shouters that seem to be the thing on all of these X-Factor-type shows ; and her voice complements Elvis's, neither overshadowing the other.

Along with tonight's Elvis show on ITV, I am more than pleased that Elvis's music and his fabulous voice will be back in the public eye and ear for the rest of this year. Don't forget, too, that out there, even as I write, there are quite a few unsuspecting people who will 'discover' Elvis for the first time and enter the world of financial poverty that affects us all once we get hooked !!

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:12 pm

ekenee wrote:

Yes it is.

This type of tampering for pure gimicicky reasons to appeal to this new technology driven generation,
takes it to a new level. There is no limits with what they can or will do.
They will sample audio pieces and put them together like a puzzle to come up with some
kind of "art".

And they will tell you, "you still have the original".

Or "you don't have to buy it".

But does that jusify it?

If it does, and money is the only motivation, then forget about an artists legacy, just put
out bobble heads, ducks, fake duets, til the cows come home, and have impersonator contests in the front yard of Graceland, because if it makes money do it, cause we all know that, Elvis the artist and his music and movies are all gonna still be there to enjoy. Right?

I don't think it is "tampering" - they just made "art" out of an existing art product. It has been happening since centuries : buildings became later on churches, then changed style, then became state building etc.

I don't see anything new or strange.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Just listened to the mix. WOW, how to reduce Elvis to a backing singer. O, well!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:13 am

Yes. It's refreshing to hear a feminine voice amid all the testosterone! Gentle is good. MaryAnn and Mountain Misst are two of the nicest members on this forum. :D

You are very kind InheritTheWind, thank you.

I like it here, people are intelligent and well read, there is a good variety to read, quite refreshing, really (understatement). :D :smt006

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:20 pm

jungleroombear wrote:Just listened to it again and the more i hear, the more i like! I doubt it will be listed as an Elvis single for chart purposes, although Brian might know more about that.

The less I hear of this the more I like!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:45 pm

jungleroombear wrote:Just listened to it again and the more i hear, the more i like! I doubt it will be listed as an Elvis single for chart purposes, although Brian might know more about that.

Both artists are credited with a duet single unless one is shown as a 'featured' artist. I have checked with the Official Charts Company and they assure me that both Susan Boyle and Elvis will be credited with the same chart position - hopefully No.1 which will make it Elvis' 22nd.

Brian

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:13 am

Brian Quinn wrote:

Both artists are credited with a duet single unless one is shown as a 'featured' artist. I have checked with the Official Charts Company and they assure me that both Susan Boyle and Elvis will be credited with the same chart position - hopefully No.1 which will make it Elvis' 22nd.

Brian

Thank you. I guess the chart position and sales of the single will depend to an extent on the appeal of any music video.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo4_XWVEIO0

Brian

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:14 am

Brian Quinn wrote:Here is the video:

Brian

Thanks Brian.

The jump suited mini-impersonator idea does nothing but maintain the stereotypical Elvis image. Susan Boyle's record label are, I suppose, entirely free to make the video they want.

But I thought the song had a grand sound that will enable it to come across strongly on tv and radio. And the video, made for a children's charity, will make people go "ahhhhh", so it will still have it's own power for many, especially at Christmas.

I'd be interested to hear later on what the public will be say about this latest Subo track.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:24 am

Suds wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Here is the video:

Brian

Thanks Brian.

The jump suited mini-impersonator idea does nothing but maintain the stereotypical Elvis image. Susan Boyle's record label are, I suppose, entirely free to make the video they want.

But I thought the song had a grand sound that will enable it to come across strongly on tv and radio. And the video, made for a children's charity, will make people go "ahhhhh", so it will still have it's own power for many, especially at Christmas.

I'd be interested to hear later on what the public will be say about this latest Subo track.

Suds,

I agree. Still EPE are into Elvis impersonators so they would not object. At the end of the day it's for a great charity and the moms will love it, especially the scene where the child trips over. You can just hear the collective AAAAHHHH. Also it would be great for Elvis to get another No.1, especially with a Christmas song (another first).

Brian

Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:04 am

Here is my opinion, for what it's worth....

First off, as most duets are recorded, both artists usually don't sing together. Each artist will sing whatever song they are doing in it's entirety and then the vocals are edited together afterwards so the way they put these things together doesn't bother me on a technical level. As someone pointed out prior, I would prefer using a different take to give us die-hard fans a different vibe. But overall, I think they did a nice job with the mix.

Second, I like Susan's vice better then Olivia's so for that reason in itself, I like Susan's version better.

Third, the fact that Elvis could still sound modern 40+ years after his vocal recording, speaks volumes in terms to those who may not be as familiar, as to why this man is so legendary. IMO, nobody in this generation is worthy enough to sing with Elvis but Susan has the chops and class to be a first choice if I was picking.

Forth, Christmas songs are seasonal and fun to listen to. This is something I'll listen to while putting up my tree. I'm not going to over analyze it for it's musical content.

Fifth, Unfortunately, we will probably never discover any new Elvis Christmas music (including 50's outtakes - which would be my dream come true) so these little holiday projects add new holiday music to my collection. I wouldn't even mind one with guys but I'm sure each artist would try to sing like Elvis.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:49 pm

New CD cover art + £3.99 again did go up to £6.99

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8 ... L1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G ... d_i=468294

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:11 pm

Looks like Susan Boyle will be performing 'O Come All Ye Faithfull' during the 'X Factor' show on the day of its release - Sunday, 8th December.

Brian

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Looks like Susan Boyle will be performing 'O Come All Ye Faithfull' during the 'X Factor' show on the day of its release - Sunday, 8th December.

Brian

Lechyd da Brian! I wonder how they will incorporate Elvis into the production?

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:15 pm

jungleroombear wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Looks like Susan Boyle will be performing 'O Come All Ye Faithfull' during the 'X Factor' show on the day of its release - Sunday, 8th December.

Brian

Perhaps they will have the winner of the Graceland impersonator contest do the Elvis part.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:22 pm

ekenee wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:

Brian

Perhaps they will have the winner of the Graceland impersonator contest do the Elvis part.

Ooooh.. that would be awful. I don't particularly like the video as it is because it reinforces some negatives that the general public seem to associate with Elvis... that the jumpsuit is more important than the music.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:11 pm

I have no problems with electronically created duets, although I'm not fond of them, but they hardly ever translate on the concert stage. It worked when Barbra Streisand "duetted" with Marlon Brando, and Robbie Williams with Frank Sinatra, because Brando and Sinatra's performances weren't interspersed with Steisand and Williams's. Instead, footage on screen, in which Brando sung I'll Know, and Sinatra sung It Was Very Good Year, were allowed their due and to play out without interruption. Even if their complete performances weren't present. When Celine Dion "duetted" with Sinatra and Elvis on stage, there was footage used along with her own performances. Which some people liked, and some didn't. But without footage, the Susan Boyle duet is surely going to expose everything lacking with these kind of projects. And that's not to rubbish this duet, or make hasty presumptions about what none of us have seen. Merely appreciating the drawbacks of Susan Boyle singing on stage along with a voice that isn't represented. Perhaps footage will be used to good effect, although, with Boyle on the promotional trail and The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song still fresh, the deck is gradually being stacked in this single's favour. Whether it will reach number one, or not, is yet to be seen, but surely a top-ten is on the cards.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:30 am

The problem with duets is that the living artists tend to out sing and ad lib to the dead artist. Not quite fair in my opinion.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:10 pm

I've just listened to this and I think it works very well.