Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

VERY rare picture of Elvis

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:30 am

Hello guys, this is my first post here and I'd like to start by saying that I found this picture while searching the web the other day. It's apparently from a newspaper released in the 50's and it compares Elvis to the ancient Greek Gods due to the remarkable physical resemblance. However, the Elvis picture must be extremely rare (atleast to me) because I've seen almost all of his pictures taken during the 50's and I've never come across this one before. I hope you guys can help me out with this one. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: VERY rare picture of Elvis

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:49 am

The resemblance is uncanny.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:53 am

Elvis does favor the Statue of Liberty.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:54 am

norrie wrote:The resemblance is uncanny.

Specially the hair! :o

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:57 am

ElvisAronPresley1935 wrote:Hello guys, this is my first post here and I'd like to start by saying that I found this picture while searching the web the other day. It's apparently from a newspaper released in the 50's and it compares Elvis to the ancient Greek Gods due to the remarkable physical resemblance. However, the Elvis picture must be extremely rare (atleast to me) because I've seen almost all of his pictures taken during the 50's and I've never come across this one before. I hope you guys can help me out with this one. Thanks!

New to my eyes as well. Assuming the clipping is genuinely from 9-20-1956 (Thu), it may come from the publicity photos shot at Elvis' Audubon home in Memphis that July.

The Los Angeles Herald-Express was a morning paper, very tabloid in nature.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:37 am

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it! I don't recall seeing any publicity photos taken at audubon drive. Maybe they are extremely rare? Wish I could see that picture in better quality and the other ones taken at the same shoot.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:39 am

Other newspapers run the story also on September 20 and 21, 1956

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Well, I thought it might be from the 1034 Audubon Drive "photo session" but Elvis has a watch on his left wrist, his hair is combed differently, and he is wearing a different shirt.

1956 photo_DETAIL.JPG

However, he does have his rings on his left hand, as in the photos below, so it's at least from the same time frame.

Below are a few of the 1034 Audubon Drive shots done by Bob Williams of the Memphis Press-Scimitar. In one of them notice how Elvis wears two rings on his left hand and none on his right, which, along with the length of his sideburns, puts the date to when he was home the last two weeks of October 1956, just before he acquired another motorcycle.

561000_Audubon_Williams_01.JPG

561000_Audubon_Williams_02.JPG

561000_Audubon_Williams_03.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Not Greek but Roman.

http://metro.co.uk/2008/07/22/1-800-yea ... ey-304103/

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Elvis was often described as looking like the Creek gods, during the 50's, but that picture is completely new to me.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Thank you for the posting. Can you please tell us a little bit about yourself as you have chosen a rather unimaginative and annonymous log-in name.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Jove wrote:Image

Not Greek but Roman.

http://metro.co.uk/2008/07/22/1-800-yea ... ey-304103/

He's got that big wart on his hand. That's one way to place the photo.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:38 am

bripet56, where are you?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:47 am

@drjohncarpenter - thank you for all the info, I had a feeling it was a rare picture. Now i found this picture on the web (it's relatively known) and for some reason I believe it must have been taken around the same time. Despite not having 2 rings on the same hand or his sideburns being slightly shorter it seems to me that he's wearing the same shirt. And, you also said that the picture must have been taken during July so it kinda adds up as this one was taken around that time.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:55 am

ElvisAronPresley1935 wrote:Now i found this picture on the web (it's relatively known) and for some reason I believe it must have been taken around the same time. Despite not having 2 rings on the same hand or his sideburns being slightly shorter it seems to me that he's wearing the same shirt. And, you also said that the picture must have been taken during July so it kinda adds up as this one was taken around that time.

ElvisAronPresley1935, that's a reversed image in your above post.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Blue River wrote:
ElvisAronPresley1935 wrote:Now i found this picture on the web (it's relatively known) and for some reason I believe it must have been taken around the same time. Despite not having 2 rings on the same hand or his sideburns being slightly shorter it seems to me that he's wearing the same shirt. And, you also said that the picture must have been taken during July so it kinda adds up as this one was taken around that time.

ElvisAronPresley1935, that's a reversed image in your above post.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:40 pm

That statue that Jove posted looks like Meat Loaf! :) By Jove!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Hahaha yes I knew it was reversed but I couldn't find the original one. Does anybody know if someone has any info on my previous picture? Would be great help!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 pm

ElvisAronPresley1935 wrote:Hahaha yes I knew it was reversed but I couldn't find the original one. Does anybody know if someone has any info on my previous picture? Would be great help!

Thank you for the posting. Can you please tell us a little bit about yourself as you have chosen a rather unimaginative and annonymous log-in name.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 am

@Tony Thanks for asking! :) I couldnt come up with a name so I decided what if I used his full name and the year he was born. I mean, if I was him then it definitely would be the username I'd choose. Hope I'm not upsetting anyone here! I'm just a big fan of Elvis.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 am

AT first I thought Audibon drive too, but that curtain behind him looks like one from Las Vegas.

It still could be Audibon drive on a different day that the publicity shots were taken.

It's difficult to tell though.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:03 am

ElvisAronPresley1935 wrote:@drjohncarpenter - thank you for all the info, I had a feeling it was a rare picture. Now i found this picture on the web (it's relatively known) and for some reason I believe it must have been taken around the same time. Despite not having 2 rings on the same hand or his sideburns being slightly shorter it seems to me that he's wearing the same shirt. And, you also said that the picture must have been taken during July so it kinda adds up as this one was taken around that time.

That photo is from Elvis' summer vacation in Biloxi in July 1956. As noted, the photo is reversed. It is also cropped -- friend Red West is in the other half of the original shot, also with a cigar.

560700_in Biloxi w cigar.JPG

I cannot find the uncropped image, but here are a couple more, possibly from the same day.

560700_w Red West Biloxi.JPG
With Red West in Biloxi - July 1956

560700_w June Juanico_Ko-Ko Lounge_Biloxi.JPG
With June Juanico, Ko-Ko Lounge in Biloxi - July 1956

Elvis travelled to Biloxi, MS on July 9 and vacationed there and in nearby Ocean Springs until returning to Memphis on July 20. He decided to return to the area again ten days later, hitting Biloxi in the early hours of July 30. He headed for Miami on August 2, with his first tour show starting the next day.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for those two great photos! If you look closely at the last picture with his then girlfriend, the shirt he's wearing is almost identical to the one he wore in the original picture I posted. Same white color and has the stripes and the collar looks the same.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:33 pm

ElvisAronPresley1935 wrote:Thanks for those two great photos! If you look closely at the last picture with his then girlfriend, the shirt he's wearing is almost identical to the one he wore in the original picture I posted. Same white color and has the stripes and the collar looks the same.

It's the same shirt. That's why I posted them, they are quite possibly all taken the same day.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Well, I thought it might be from the 1034 Audubon Drive "photo session" but Elvis has a watch on his left wrist, his hair is combed differently, and he is wearing a different shirt.

1956 photo_DETAIL.JPG

However, he does have his rings on his left hand, as in the photos below, so it's at least from the same time frame.
Below are a few of the 1034 Audubon Drive shots done by Bob Williams of the Memphis Press-Scimitar. In one of them notice how Elvis wears two rings on his left hand and none on his right, which, along with the length of his sideburns, puts the date to when he was home the last two weeks of October 1956, just before he acquired another motorcycle.

561000_Audubon_Williams_02.JPG

Great photo, new to me, thank you very much!

The photos taken by Bob Williams i have dated last week of September. The hair is shorter than in October photos, and he wear both rings on left hand from September 9 until October 19.
About the photo from paper, he has 2 rings on left hand, and the paper was from September 20. He arrived home on September 22, so the photo can't be from Audubon Drive. I think the photo was taken sometimes between Sept. 10 and Sept 19 in California, Culver City.
Still, the hair was a little too long for end-September...maibe he had a haircut just before he left for Memphis.