Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

2 Photos of Elvis with Mama Cass Elliot 2/23/73

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:04 am

Saw this on The Elvis Presley Information Network (EIN) Cass is Another Great Loss For The World, She was a wonderful Gal. https://www.facebook.com/groups/13177239370/

ImageImage

Quotes

February 23, 1973 Imperials Quartet member, Joe Moscheo, is at the piano in Elvis' suite after a Las Vegas performance. Cass Elliott of the Mamas and Papas was in the audience for Elvis' show and Elvis invited her up to the suite - and they eventually all gathered around the piano for a "gospel sing" - including "Amazing Grace" according to Joe Moscheo on SiriusXm radio.

The supposed story from Joe or someone else that was there is this is the night she learned to sing gospel. At some point she asked Elvis why they keep singing gospel songs over and over so Elvis challenged her to give it a try for herself. She took the lead on Amazing Grace, Elvis and the rest fell in behind her doing harmony. She reportedly turned to Elvis telling him how beautiful it was and that now she understood.

Performance on the "The Ray Stevens TV Show" 1970.
phpBB [video]

Last edited by SUN-RCA on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Photo of Elvis with Mama Cass Elliot 2/23/73

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:29 am

That website you mention is just shameless. It was likely stolen from FECC, where it has been posted many times (and completely identified by me), as far back as 6 years ago. For example:

drjohncarpenter wrote:Cass Elliot began a run with comedian Marty Allen at the Flamingo on Thursday, Feb 22, 1973.

She attended Presley's closing show the next evening, it's quite possible Elvis invited them all back to his suite.

"Amazing Grace," Elvis' Hilton suite, Las Vegas, NV - Friday, February 23, 1973

L-R: Terry Blackwood, Sherman Andrus, Jim Murray, Cass Elliot, Joe Moscheo, Armond Morales, Marty Allen, Elvis, Linda Thompson, Red West, Lorraine Allen

This 1973 candid is interesting on many levels.

It's the last time Elvis was slim and trim, although he was undergoing some major personal problems, sadly detailed four years later in Elvis - What Happened? (1977). Not many photos of Elvis' private, in-suite jams have ever surfaced.

It appears all of the current members of the Imperials are there. Since the quintet had left Elvis' employ after the summer 1971 season in Las Vegas (September 6, 1971, to be exact), they had to have been in town with another singer -- perhaps Jimmy Dean had a booking in the area at that time.

Note that the African-American man in the picture is Sherman Andrus, who replaced Imperial Greg Gordon in early 1972 -- a VERY controversial move in the conservative-minded gospel field.

How often did Elvis do gospel jams with the Imperials after they left? Perhaps it was just this one time? Elvis was not thrilled they moved on to Jimmy Dean -- "that sausage maker" as Presley derisively called him.

Was this the only time Cass sang with Elvis? Her death came just a year later, on July 29, 1974, in London. A heart attack took her at the young age of 32, leaving behind a 7 year-old daughter, Owen.

Her manager was the flamboyant Allan Carr -- later to have huge success working on "Saturday Night Fever," "Grease" and other films.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33024&p=417923&#p417147

Other FECC examples:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33024&p=417147#p417147
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54521&p=787089#p787089
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55978&p=814510#p814510
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56572&p=825870#p825870
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62025&p=924270#p924270
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71697&p=1113424#p1113424
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74628&p=1126164#p1126164

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:51 am

Oh Man, There seems to be alot of Elvis Sites out there getting alot of their info at Fecc, I did find the photo to be enjoyable to see tho, ive always like Cass, and im glad they both spent some time together, sure wish I was there to witness them singing.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: ... It was ... stolen from FECC ...

Doc, can you explain, what you mean with stolen? There are websites you talk often, that they have stolen from FECC. The pictures copyright lays by the owners of the images, I think. They can IMO only stolen the text.

I do not want understand this thing wrongly. What do you think, how they should handle that?

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:56 am

Well, there are two elements to this, at least. Yes, the copyright goes to the photographer. But that doesn't mean he or she owns it. So, that's two credits. Buying the photo doesn't necessirly transfer the copyright, although those have been sold.

And the point is that the very first upload to the Internet should also be credited. From the beginning of the Internet, it has always been bad form to just take a photo from a another site. When bandwidth was a problem, linking to someone's photo was also bad form, because there were, and still are usage fees by the gig.

It's best to ask for permission as best you can, and always to give credit to where you found a photograph, as well as to try to identify and credit the photographer. And the photographer may want to be paid. But these days, that generally doesn't happen. Still, one should do the best one can. And not act like the photos were unearthed by your site, when they were not.

It would be like an archeologist saying "I found the mummy," when they didn't.Now, the archeologist doesn't really own the mummy, but they found it first.

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks rjm, now I understand the thing.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:35 am

rjm wrote:

It's best to ask for permission as best you can, and always to give credit to where you found a photograph, as well as to try to identify and credit the photographer.

rjm

That will never happen with facebook. They don't even list the proper dates & other information of the suspected photo(s). As mentioned earlier, they leave all the guesswork & research to us....they're just good at photo dumping.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:09 am

True. But I wish their uploading system wouldn't strip the encoding information that a photographer puts into the photo, either automatically or afterwards, using a program. If they l left that in, that would be good. But it strips everything!

And puts its own info. So, it's my photo, right? I stood there in Memphis, uptown, decades ago, and took it, and then developed it. Didn't go to photo-mart, you know? And FB says "Robin shared {name withheld}'s photo." That really p'd me off! Or additionally, worse: "Robin tagged herself in {name withheld}'s photo." And I have the original physical photograph in my physical hand! Grrrrrr!

(This was of a historical building, now demolished. Not Elvis. I was not so fortunate as to have THAT snagged by the Google bot, if I had one.)

I fixed it, but not everyone is nice about such things. And the crowd just goes "thanks, {name}!" without a thought. "Great one, {name}!" They need to rectify that at the server level. Don't strip the encoding in the photographs.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Winston wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: ... It was ... stolen from FECC ...

Doc, can you explain, what you mean with stolen? There are websites you talk often, that they have stolen from FECC. The pictures copyright lays by the owners of the images, I think. They can IMO only stolen the text.

I do not want understand this thing wrongly. What do you think, how they should handle that?

When one site creates most of their content by traveling around the internet, copying images and information they find, and acting like it was all their own effort, that is stealing.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:That website you mention is just shameless. It was likely stolen from FECC, where it has been posted many times (and completely identified by me), as far back as 6 years ago.
It's only stolen if it is owned by FECC but i highly doubt it is.So you are wrong to use such a word.
Last edited by Gary1 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:23 pm

These 2 photos were also just added to (EIN) https://www.facebook.com/groups/13177239370/10151821428024371/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:23 pm

It's probably not "stealing" but it's not being completely honest either, it's a common courtesy to acknowledge your sources, especially if the work has been done by someone else.

Why have all this information strewn across the web when everyone can just come here and get the best and most accurate information pertaining to Elvis? ::rocks

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:39 pm

lol I had to see it carefully to find Elvis on the first one I confused him with Moscheo ,he looks like him,same hair cut
Bu the way, how thin was Elvis at that time

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Cass and Elvis would have made one helluva duet together. She had a fine voice.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Did you know if Mama Cass had shared her sandwich with Karen Carpenter, they may both may still be alive today.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:42 pm

skatterbrane wrote:Did you know if Mama Cass had shared her sandwich with Karen Carpenter, they may both may still be alive today.

That's kind of in poor taste. She didn't choke on a sandwich, she died of a heart attack.
And it's a very cool picture. Two soulful, talented, awesome singers together. Very nice.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 pm

Clark Gable wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Did you know if Mama Cass had shared her sandwich with Karen Carpenter, they may both may still be alive today.

That's kind of in poor taste. She didn't choke on a sandwich, she died of a heart attack.
And it's a very cool picture. Two soulful, talented, awesome singers together. Very nice.

Too soon?

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:48 pm

ECC83 wrote:It's probably not "stealing" but it's not being completely honest either, it's a common courtesy to acknowledge your sources, especially if the work has been done by someone else.

Bingo.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:00 pm

Off topic: in his March 1975 Vegas gig Elvis joked with a comment like "you should saw me a month ago. I looked like Mamma Cass" regarding his weight. And yes, I agree, a duet of Elvis with Mamma Cass could be terrific.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:02 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Off topic: in his March 1975 Vegas gig Elvis joked with a comment like "you should saw me a month ago. I looked like Mamma Cass" regarding his weight. And yes, I agree, a duet of Elvis with Mamma Cass could be terrific.

That might have been in poor taste since Cass was dead by then.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:22 pm

Sometimes it seems the most important thing about being an Elvis fan is to have status and who-did-what rather than just share information.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:34 pm

Xaykev wrote:Sometimes it seems the most important thing about being an Elvis fan is to have status and who-did-what rather than just share information.

Perhaps so, but not in this discussion.

Sharing information is what we do here on FECC. That site just plunders, posts and acts like no one else on the internet has any idea.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:39 am

How did the photo find its way on here in 2007? Where did that copy of the photo come from?

Re: 2 Photos of Elvis with Mama Cass Elliot 2/23/73

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:25 am

I've not been a member here too long but it is very clear to me also that someone likes a pat on the back and a lot of gratification themselves.
Very sad.

Re: 2 Photos of Elvis with Mama Cass Elliot 2/23/73

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:05 am

Its a terrific photo! :D