Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis at the Tennessee State Capitol --> Politics As Usual !

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:21 am

610308_TN State Capitol_01_w Matthews_Stoker.JPG
Photo: Gerald Holly, Nashville Tennessean

It was Wednesday, March 8, 1961, when Elvis addressed the Tennessee State Legislature in Nashville after accepting a certificate of Colonelship from Governor Buford Ellington, and then toured his office.

The speech was as close as Presley ever came to entering the political arena.

He would have gotten my vote! ;-)

Interestingly, the Presley entourage included the Jordanaires and their wives, and he spent much of the day with beautiful First Daughter, Ann Ellington. Even more interestingly, on his way home he stopped at the Tennessee State Prison to visit with incarcerated former singer of the Prisonaires, Johnny Bragg. Clearly their relationship went back to Sun Records and the early days of his career, and perhaps even earlier than that.

And his dance card for March 1961 was filled, with a Nashville album session starting on Sunday (3-12), a soundtrack session in West Hollywood a week after that, beginning on Tuesday (3-21), a benefit concert in Honolulu that Saturday (3-25), and location filming in Hawaii for his latest movie.

What a wonderful life!

At the Tennessee State Capitol / In Governor Buford Ellington's office:

610308_Address to TSL_01.JPG
Photo: Gerald Holly, Nashville Tennessean

610308_Address to TSL_02.JPG
Photo: Jack Corn, Nashville Tennessean

610308_Gov office_01_Ann Ellington.JPG

610308_Gov office_02_w unk boy_Ann Ellington.JPG

Thanks in part to:
Tennessee State Library and Archives: Photograph and Image Search
http://tnsos.org/tsla/imagesearch/index.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis at the Tennessee State Capitol --> Politics As Usu

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:23 am

In Governor Buford Ellington's office:

610308_Gov office_03_w THP Trooper.JPG

610308_Gov office_04_w John Ellington.JPG

610308_Gov office_05_w Ann and John Ellington_senators.JPG

610308_Gov office_06_w Ann and Gov Ellington_Jordanaires and wives.JPG

610308_Gov office_07_w Ann and Gov Ellington_Esposito_Fortas_West.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:27 am

Text of Ellington and Presley's Speeches to the Legislature:

990801_Elvis Word For Word p146.jpg

990801_Elvis Word For Word p147.jpg

990801_Elvis Word For Word p148.jpg

Jerry Osborne, Elvis Word for Word: What He Said, Exactly How He Said It (Port Townsend: Jerry Osborne Enterprises, August 1, 1999)

Tennessee State Capitol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_State_Capitol

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:29 am

Media Reaction:

Sarasota Herald Tribune - Thursday, March 9, 1961

On March 8, 1961 Elvis drove his Rolls Royce to Nashville, Tennessee. He was accompanied by personal entourage members Joe Esposito, Sonny West, and Alan Fortas. That day, Elvis was the special guest of a joint session of both houses of the Tennessee State Legislature. They had invited him to come in late February, but due to his schedule he was unable to come until March. The purpose of the visit was so they could honor Tennessee's favorite son.

Governor Buford Ellington introduced the Jordanaires and then in his introduction of Elvis said, "Elvis Presley, the greatest honor that the governor of Tennessee can bestow upon a man is to ask you and present to you this certificate of Colonelship on the governor's staff. I do it with pride and with pleasure and tell you that not only the governor of the state, but every citizen of Tennessee is very, very proud of you."

Elvis thanked the governor and addressed those present in the senate chamber (including the young people who had skipped school for the occasion) saying, "...this is one of the nicest things that has ever happened to me in my entire career... and I'd like to say that I'm very proud to be from the state of Tennessee and I'll always... I will always call this my home..."

Governor Ellington went on to say that, even though Elvis' manager Colonel Tom Parker could not be there, he wanted to announce that "...Colonel Parker is no longer the number one Colonel - it's Colonel Presley."

Shelby County Senator J. Lewis Taliaferro was recognized by the senate chairman and he introduced Alan Fortas, Joe Esposito and Sonny West. He then presented Elvis with a framed copy of the Senate Joint Resolution Number Fifty-Two, which recognized Elvis for his having brought fame to Memphis and Tennessee as a successful entertainer, for having served his country in the armed forces and for his humanitarian efforts.

After the Sergeant of Arms made way for Elvis to leave the chamber, Elvis then toured the governor's mansion with Governor Ellington's daughter, Ann.

http://www.elvisoncd.com/frame.htm?http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/facts/colonelelvis.htm

Thank you very much!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:45 am

What a great time in Elvis' life. He looked magnificent, content and extremely happy. Doc, once again you've outdone yourself!! ::rocks

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:11 am

Wonderful, Doc. Thank you very much. How sad that in the following 8 years Elvis became a Hollywood hostage instead of touring America and the world.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:18 am

Fan-dam-tastic, Doctor! Man, what a great read that was. Salute!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:30 am

What a wonderful post here, DJC, thank you, like a breath of fresh air around here. Elvis looks just outstanding, what a moment for him.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:57 am

Joe Car wrote:What a great time in Elvis' life. He looked magnificent, content and extremely happy. Doc, once again you've outdone yourself!! ::rocks

Thank you muchly.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:04 am

What fantastic pictures. I love that lead-off photo in particular. He just exudes coolness.

Osborne's Word for Word notes that the transcript of Elvis' humble speech was sourced from an audiotape. Though I've read the speech in the book several times, plus again just now in the Doc's post, I can't seem to remember ever hearing it before. I'll have to check through the interview/press conference/etc. CDs I have.

Great topic/compilation!

Troy

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:09 am

Hasn't that speech been released?

I think I have on tape somewhere.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:13 am

ekenee wrote:Hasn't that speech been released?

I just found it on a 5 CD set I have called The Elvis Interviews: 1955-1977 (Radio Spirits). Sound quality is relatively poor, but still really cool to hear.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:17 am

Gotta admit, this thread took me by surprise !

Elvis looks spectacular and I enjoyed reading his speech.

Looking for some positivity tonite and absolutely found it.

Awesome Doc, Thank You !!!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:44 am

Doc,

Great post!!! Love the information and finding out about these events in Elvis' life. I didn't know about his Colonelship. Very cool.

Well done! :D

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:56 am

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:
ekenee wrote:Hasn't that speech been released?

I just found it on a 5 CD set I have called The Elvis Interviews: 1955-1977 (Radio Spirits). Sound quality is relatively poor, but still really cool to hear.

I found it on a different Elvis interview set. I knew I had it somewhere. thanks.

He says, "Good evening ladies and gentleman, and those of you that skipped school". He got quite a laugh for that one.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:15 am

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:What fantastic pictures. I love that lead-off photo in particular. He just exudes coolness.

Osborne's Word for Word notes that the transcript of Elvis' humble speech was sourced from an audiotape. Though I've read the speech in the book several times, plus again just now in the Doc's post, I can't seem to remember ever hearing it before. I'll have to check through the interview/press conference/etc. CDs I have.

Great topic/compilation!

Troy

Thanks.

A 1977 two LP set included a poor-quality recording (with hum) of the 3-08-1961 address to the Tennessee State Legislature, along with the 2-25-1961 Memphis press conference, and talk and songs from the Jordanaires.

771100_Elvis Speaks To You.JPG
Elvis Speaks To You (Green Valley Record Company, Inc. GV 2001/2002, November 1977)

The recording is not on YouTube, as far as I know.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:48 am

Wonderful presentation, Doc!

And, if read closely, most illuminating!

(Plus, they made him a Colonel. ;) )

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Great post! I've not seen any of those photo's, except two of them. Btw, is Johnny Bragg still around?

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Another of the great post that make this forum so essential and wonderful! Thanks a lot Doc!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Doc this is wonderful! Thank you again for yet another top-notch topic!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Colonel Presley looking great !
Great read Doc thanks.

norrie

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Doc

Fantastic. I've seen a couple of the photos in the past but had never researched details of the day (shame on me). Eventually perhaps I would have gotten to it, but you certainly spead my learning curve up with this post.

Just a point of interest to me in the speech from I think was the Governor
"..has sold over seventy five million records here in the United States. And that doesn't include those that have been sold abroad"
We're talking between 1956-1961 (a relatively very short period of time). And 2 of those years he was away being a soldier (granted the colonel was busy releasing material in that time) but still worth noting. When you try to wrap your head around that number it puts into perspective his pure sellling power in the music market. That is an Insane number...even by todays standards.

Enjoyed reading the speech and definitely did not know there was audio out there. I have never heard the audio so you can bet I will be trying to find out if the albums they were released on are still available for purchase somewhere out there.

::rocks

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Now all we need is the two Memphis concerts he performed during this time frame and
we have the complete picture.

Doctor could you please upload those for us? Thanks in advance. :wink:

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The recording is not on YouTube, as far as I know.

Now it is...

[Edit: And away it goes... sorry, folks. I hope you had a chance to listen while it lasted.]
Last edited by Ty@TheFilmFrontier on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:40 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Great post! I've not seen any of those photo's, except two of them. Btw, is Johnny Bragg still around?

Sadly, no. Bragg passed away in 2004:

The Prisonaires
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prisonaires