Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Song Hits Rhythm & Blues Magazine from 1952

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:04 am

Song Hits Rhythm & Blues Magazine from 1952.

This is the december issue.

I just bought this for one dollar at a garage sale.

Check out the Elvis related items which are inside.

Note the lyric differences and one verse Elvis left off of "lawdy miss clawdy".

Also note that the Tarnel Darling is not printed here.

I am not sure what version or recording the Lloyd Price has that reference, though Elvis doesn't use it on his 1956 master but of course references it
in 1968.

Also, they have an article on Kay Starr and it talks about how she is from Memphis, (which I didn't know).
She actually moved there in her early teens as Elvis did, and lived there for a relatively short time.
And there is a mention of
a recording out called, "Fool fool, fool".

And the lyrics for it are printed out as well.

I also noticed that the same person who wrote "Fool, fool, fool" also wrote, "Ting a ling" which was later recorded by Buddy Holly.
Recall Elvis' mention of Kay Starr as one of his favorite singers in the 1950's.

Cool stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ekenee on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Song Hits Rhythm & Blues Magazine from 1952

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:08 am

ekenee wrote:Also, they have an article on Kay Starr and it talks about how she is from Memphis, (which I didn't know), and how she had
a recording out called, "Fool fool, fool".
And the lyrics for it are printed out as well.
Recall Elvis' mention of Kay Starr as one of his favorite singers in the 1950's.

Cool stuff.

Yup.

What [sic] is your favorite female singer right now?

Patti Page and Kay Starr.

- Press Interview, Vancouver - Saturday, August 31, 1957

Perhaps Presley praises Starr in that 1957 interview because his 1955 live performances of "Fool, Fool, Fool" appropriated Kay's pop hit, rather than the R&B original by the Clovers. Her version is excellent, actually.

phpBB [video]

Kay Starr "Fool, Fool, Fool" (Capitol 2151, July 5, 1952)
Billboard U.S. Most Played Juke Box Records #13, September 6, 1952 ... was B-side of "Kay's Lament"

Your cover scan is very small. Any chance you can re-upload it -- and especially the pages with the Kay Starr interview -- with dimensions similar to what other members like The fool use? At least something like 762 x 1000 would be great.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:04 am

I will try to show the Kay Starr article tomorrow.

I am unable to put large pics on the internet due to the very long time it takes to upload them, because
I am one of the 45 people in the world that is still on dial-up internet.

Is anyone having trouble reading the lyrics I posted? I will try to upload a slightly larger pic if possible.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:32 am

You lucky man, buying that super cool mag for only a dollar! Thanks for posting it on here! Love both versions of the song. But it's clear Elvis' version comes from Starrs version. I must get myself a Kay Starr CD, any recommendations on the best one to buy? Thanks again.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:53 pm

New information added. Hope you all like.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 am

Thanks for the additions. The article shows Starr was born in Oklahoma, but moved to Memphis in her teens. She sang on WREC Radio, broadcasting from the Peabody. Wonder if Elvis heard her on the radio? I'll bet he did.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for the additions. The article shows Starr was born in Oklahoma, but moved to Memphis in her teens. She sang on WREC Radio, broadcasting from the Peabody. Wonder if Elvis heard her on the radio? I'll bet he did.

No problem.

I bet he did to.

And

I wonder if Elvis ever caught her singing at a local talent show.

Before Elvis got the courage to audition for Sun in 1953 I am sure he must have checked out local live shows

to see what the music scene was like.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:09 am

Pretty cool, thanks for posting!

I dig this song very much:

phpBB [video]

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:00 pm

The story goes that Pat Cupp introduced Elvis to Kay Starr's version of "Fool, Fool, Fool". Pat and his friend, Cheesie Nelson, had probably the world's first ETA and they were asked to fill in for Elvis, Scotty and Bill, when the Memphis boys were stranded en route with a broken-down car. The Rockabilly Hall of Fame states:
In the summer of 1954, Pat and family moved from Magnolia Arkansas to Texarkana Arkansas. Pat began his junior year in Arkansas High School. It was during this time that he met a friend, Cheesie Nelson, who introduced him to the world of Country Music. Cheesie had become an Elvis Presley fan and introduced Elvis's early music to Pat. Cheesie could mimic Elvis and wanted Pat to play the guitar for him. Pat and Cheesie became very popular in Texarkana and performed at the local High Schools. It was in the late fall that Pat and Cheesie met Elvis, Scotty and Bill. Elvis and band had some car trouble south of Texarkana and was late in getting to their stage show on time. The promoter of the show knew of Pat and Cheesie and sent someone to get them to come to the stage show and keep the audience happy until Elvis and band could get there. Pat and Cheesie made it to the show and performed Elvis's songs until Elvis got to the show. When Elvis came in, he was amused at what he saw and heard. Elvis then thanked Pat and Cheesie for helping out and took over the show. At intermission, Elvis call Pat and Cheesie back stage to his dressing room and spent the intermission time visiting.

Pat's parents had a fairly extensive record collection of the pop artists of the day and he says that on a second visit to Texarkana, Elvis called at the family home and it was then that Pat played him some records that he thought might suit the Elvis style, including Kay's "Fool, Fool, Fool". It was only recently that he discovered that Elvis had actually taken his advice and performed the song.
Here's Pat with one of his own records from a year or two later:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/KU3pcQmfGVA[/youtube]