Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Examples of Elvis using his "rock" voice after 1969?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:49 am

During the '68 special and in some of the '69 shows I've listened to, Elvis had that raw, sort of raspy, rocky voice--that higher pitched voice that made him famous to begin with.

For example, Jailhouse Rock from the '68 special--I'm talking about THAT voice. That vocal styling?

It seems after around '69, he shifted almost completely, even on rock songs like Promised Land, to using his more baritone, operatic sort of voice.

But are there any examples you guys can give of Elvis using his "rock" voice--the higher, raspier voice--live or in a studio number--after around '69 or '70?

Re: Examples of Elvis using his "rock" voice after 1969?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:53 am

That rough edge was during the late 1960's , by August 1970 it was there at moments but for the most part his voice lost that raw edge hoarse sound from the late 60's. I don't think he tried to use a "soft Voice" per say on a track such as Promised Land I think that is just how he sounded when he sung. His voice changed a few times during his career, some dramatic changes like the rough sound in the 1969 era, the deep but powerful 1972 voice the more softer like Aloha from Hawaii. I personally feel he tore up Promised Land the way he sang it, same with Way Down.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:46 am

Houston '76.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:04 am

He nailed Promised Land! I love his take on that song. Pure rock and roll!

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:21 am

Clark Gable wrote:During the '68 special and in some of the '69 shows I've listened to, Elvis had that raw, sort of raspy, rocky voice--that higher pitched voice that made him famous to begin with.

For example, Jailhouse Rock from the '68 special--I'm talking about THAT voice. That vocal styling?

It seems after around '69, he shifted almost completely, even on rock songs like Promised Land, to using his more baritone, operatic sort of voice.

But are there any examples you guys can give of Elvis using his "rock" voice--the higher, raspier voice--live or in a studio number--after around '69 or '70?

Steamroller blues, Patch it up and T-R-O-U- B-L-E.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Houston '76.

Yes!

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:45 am

stevelecher wrote:

Yes!

You know what I'm talkin' about.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:52 am

Most songs would be from 1970:

PATCH IT UP
I WASHED MY HANDS IN MUDDY WATER
GOT MY MOJO WORKIN´
STEAMROLLER BLUES

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:56 am

phpBB [video]

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

Yes!

You know what I'm talkin' about.

Yes, i know what your talking about...but does Clark Gable, soon to be Cary Grant, know that?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Clark Gable wrote:During the '68 special and in some of the '69 shows I've listened to, Elvis had that raw, sort of raspy, rocky voice--that higher pitched voice that made him famous to begin with.

:lol:

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Who is Clark Gable ?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:13 pm

The author of this thread.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:19 pm

minkahed wrote:Who is Clark Gable ?

Rob wrote:The author of this thread.

Soon to be "Cary Grant"... according to mysterytrainrideson. smt179

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:27 pm

The last time I hear him use that driving rasp from 1968-69 was on the first "A Big Hunk O' Love" from the 1 / 26 / 1972 show that has been posted. He sounds awesome there.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 pm

minkahed wrote:Who is Clark Gable ?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm

I've also always liked his 1974 versions of My Baby Left me. And the Austin 1977 version of Steamroller was a little raw and rocking.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:28 pm

U.S. Male1990 wrote:The last time I hear him use that driving rasp from 1968-69 was on the first "A Big Hunk O' Love" from the 1 / 26 / 1972 show that has been posted. He sounds awesome there.

He kind of uses that rasp in a few versions of "Trying To Get To You" from early 1974. (During the "When I read your loving letter..." part.) Something about that song seemed to stimulate him. There are a few versions from the January/February 1974 season in Vegas where his voice has that raspy edge that are available on Ciscoking Corner. Also, there's a bit of rasp in his voice in TTGTY from the Houston Astrodome show in March 1974. Not quite 1968 but at least he tries.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:39 pm

I'm not sure it's a case of trying, I think his voice was in a transition in the late 1960s, and he could temporarily do things with it that didn't come easy afterwards. Even on some of the ballads from the period, there is a raspiness to his voice, and I don't think it's intended. Love Letters finds his voice as soft as silk, but on Mine it even has a slight rasp. By 1970, the transition into the mature voice seems to have been complete - it was deeper, darker and more powerful, but sadly Elvis tended to use the latter element as a short cut instead of putting thought into a performance.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:00 am

After 1970 it mostly alternated between thin/tremulous and the Tarzan bellow.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:46 am

InheritTheWind wrote:After 1970 it mostly alternated between thin/tremulous and the Tarzan bellow.

Pretty much. There's nothing like a good Tarzan bellow!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:01 am

InheritTheWind wrote:After 1970 it mostly alternated between thin/tremulous and the Tarzan bellow.

I think that's a little extreme. I don't think anybody sang as well as he did at MSG in 1972, plus countless other shows were he sang extremely well.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:12 am

Right... he certainly couldn't sing after 1970... :shock:

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:25 am

elvis-fan wrote:

That's not what he said.

The word "mostly" is key here. MSG, while effective, lacks most of the subtleties in the singing that were present in August 1970, for example. Never Been To Spain is effective, but the whole thing is a set up for that final verse, and What Now My Love in Aloha is set up in the same way. It's effective, but it is as subtle as a brick. Alternatively, take a listen at Just Pretend in 1970 where, yes, there is a powerful, loud chorus but that's not what the song is all about. It's not set up just to hear that ending, the verses are brilliantly sung, infused with virtually every genre of music Elvis covered, and avoid that simple soft-loud dynamic change. While some of those big, belting numbers might be fun to sing and listen to, Elvis isn't working to produce anything as great as what he had done before. As for the thin/tremulous voice, well we have that for the most part in May 1971 and July 1973.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:29 am

poormadpeter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

That's not what he said.

The word "mostly" is key here. MSG, while effective, lacks most of the subtleties in the singing that were present in August 1970, for example. Never Been To Spain is effective, but the whole thing is a set up for that final verse, and What Now My Love in Aloha is set up in the same way. It's effective, but it is as subtle as a brick. Alternatively, take a listen at Just Pretend in 1970 where, yes, there is a powerful, loud chorus but that's not what the song is all about. It's not set up just to hear that ending, the verses are brilliantly sung, infused with virtually every genre of music Elvis covered, and avoid that simple soft-loud dynamic change. While some of those big, belting numbers might be fun to sing and listen to, Elvis isn't working to produce anything as great as what he had done before. As for the thin/tremulous voice, well we have that for the most part in May 1971 and July 1973.

Thanks pete... but he's a big boy... I'm sure he can speak for himself...