Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:57 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:"good career move" did the Colonel really say that?

It wasn't the Colonel. I can't remember who said it.

Some critic for a newspaper if I recall correctly.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Simon1 wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:Very tough to answer. How do you know he would have achieved anything more at all. His career was stalled and he could have kept on going that route until he totally faded into oblivion and became one of many other oldies acts playing smaller & smaller venues.

That never would have happened.

Elvis had enough fans and was always more popular than the artists that had to play oldies package tours to earn a living.

Elvis played and routinely sold out the arena's in the United States and was always getting offered millions to play all over the world.

If nothing else Elvis would have continued to sell out shows and be a highly profitable touring act.

The thing about touring is you don't have to be relevant at all musically to sell out shows and make a lot of money from it.

Really? I doubt Elvis would have still sold out MSG for 4 shows in 1977. I think his career was now mostly relegated to less major cities and suburbs which, he was still selling out, but he was no longer the star he was a few years earlier. His name and past rep sold out shows those last 2 years, not the product he was putting out. If he didn't change course soon, I think the venues would have gotten smaller as the older faithful fans would have eventually stopped going and newer younger fans would not have been drawn to his show with no new hit records, and the reviews the shows were getting. Plus, the whole jumpsuit thing did not appeal to younger people. It didn't look like things were about to change. He didn't even want to record new material in 1977. But it seemed like Elvis was content to let things continue as they were. Another listless tour was about to start.

Yes, really r&b.

That's what I'm telling you Elvis was always going to consistently be able to sell out tours.

According to Billboard in 1977 Elvis was the #1 concert attraction for venues 6,000 to 20,000 seats and was still packing them in Vegas.

I just got thru telling you that to sell out shows you don't have to have hit records or be a contemporary force in music.

There are numerous examples of people not having a big hit record for years and they still pack them in.

You keep harping on the jumpsuits and perhaps Elvis should have ditched them by 1977 but it was a completely different era.

The 1970s was a horrible decade for fashion and many of the top music performers wore really ugly clothes on stage.

Always an apologist! Elvis could not have gone on forever touring the way he was, same songs and venues etc, it would have all eventually dried up. Elvis' popularity was waning. As r&b says, fans were still lining up to see him because of his past reputation. Most fans seeing him for the first time, in say, 74 to 77, were probably expecting to see the TTWII Elvis and the fans were screaming for what he once was and not for the performance he was giving at the time. As r&b says, he had no current new/hit records to keep the public interested. His career was in need of a desperate change. At the age if 42 it was too late, his young years were over.

I'm not being an apologist it's just being factual and it is stupid of you to even say that.

It's a fact that in 1977 Elvis Presley was the top touring act in America for arenas that seated 6,000 to 20,000 people.

How many times do I frickin have to say that you don't need current hit records to be a top touring act and to sell out shows.

Again that's the point lots of singers and bands sell out shows long after they stop having hit records or being a contemporary force in the music business because of their past reputations.

Since you don't understand something so simple you must be in need of serious help.

:roll: :roll:

Yes you don't have to have a hit to sell out an arena. Yes, he was still a top touring act (for middle America). But honestly, do you really think Elvis would have sold out 4 shows at MSG in 1977 like he did in 1972? How about the LA Forum? I don't think he would have. He just wasn't as hot an act for cities like that anymore. When I got my tickets for the Aug 1977 show in Uniondale, NY, a co-worker of mine said , Oh is Elvis still around? Such was his star status.

Did your co-worker live in a hole in the ground? Elvis was still in newspapers, magazines etc. It doesn't make sense.

No I think what co-worker meant by her remark was what has he done lately? Obviously she knew he wasn't dead (yet). As pointed out Elvis really only mattered to the hardcore Elvis fans at that point. To the music scene he was a no longer relevant. He was never on the radio except for country stations . What newspapers was he in? The Enquirer, The Star? Who really cares about that kind of news?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Rob wrote:

Howard Stern said it for one

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:39 pm

If Elvis would have even packed it in even and sailed off into the sunset so to speak, just healthy and free from the shackles of fame. He deserved so much more.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 pm

r&b wrote:
Rob wrote:

Maybe i'm mis-remembering...i've read the quote "good career move" somewhere. But i got the impression it came from The Colonel after quoting Elvis' death. Meaning wise move because i'm gonna make loads of money. I can imagine him saying something like that, like when i learnt how disgusted i was when he turned up at Elvis' furneral with a contract for Vernon to sign so he could carry on with business as usual. Heartless bastard!! As i say, could be wrong about the "good career move" quote.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:55 pm

r&b wrote:
Rob wrote:

Maybe i'm mis-remembering...i've read the quote "good career move" somewhere. But i got the impression it came from The Colonel after quoting Elvis' death. Meaning wise move because i'm gonna make loads of money. I can imagine him saying something like that, like when i learnt how disgusted i was when he turned up at Elvis' furneral with a contract for Vernon to sign so he could carry on with business as usual. Heartless bastard!! As i say, could be wrong about the "good career move" quote.

I know it was said, but I don't recall the colonel saying it. It was a critic.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Joe Car wrote:
r&b wrote:
Rob wrote:

I know it was said, but I don't recall the colonel saying it. It was a critic.

Though the actual speaker is still unidentified, here's some more info on the quote: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/08/04 ... reer-move/

Incidentally, the quote I've always heard attributed to the Colonel, upon learning of the death of Elvis, is, "This changes nothing."

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:37 pm

r&b wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:Very tough to answer. How do you know he would have achieved anything more at all. His career was stalled and he could have kept on going that route until he totally faded into oblivion and became one of many other oldies acts playing smaller & smaller venues.

Elvis had enough fans and was always more popular than the artists that had to play oldies package tours to earn a living.

Elvis played and routinely sold out the arena's in the United States and was always getting offered millions to play all over the world.

If nothing else Elvis would have continued to sell out shows and be a highly profitable touring act.

The thing about touring is you don't have to be relevant at all musically to sell out shows and make a lot of money from it.

Really? I doubt Elvis would have still sold out MSG for 4 shows in 1977. I think his career was now mostly relegated to less major cities and suburbs which, he was still selling out, but he was no longer the star he was a few years earlier. His name and past rep sold out shows those last 2 years, not the product he was putting out. If he didn't change course soon, I think the venues would have gotten smaller as the older faithful fans would have eventually stopped going and newer younger fans would not have been drawn to his show with no new hit records, and the reviews the shows were getting. Plus, the whole jumpsuit thing did not appeal to younger people. It didn't look like things were about to change. He didn't even want to record new material in 1977. But it seemed like Elvis was content to let things continue as they were. Another listless tour was about to start.

Yes, really r&b.

That's what I'm telling you Elvis was always going to consistently be able to sell out tours.

According to Billboard in 1977 Elvis was the #1 concert attraction for venues 6,000 to 20,000 seats and was still packing them in Vegas.

I just got thru telling you that to sell out shows you don't have to have hit records or be a contemporary force in music.

There are numerous examples of people not having a big hit record for years and they still pack them in.

You keep harping on the jumpsuits and perhaps Elvis should have ditched them by 1977 but it was a completely different era.

The 1970s was a horrible decade for fashion and many of the top music performers wore really ugly clothes on stage.

Always an apologist! Elvis could not have gone on forever touring the way he was, same songs and venues etc, it would have all eventually dried up. Elvis' popularity was waning. As r&b says, fans were still lining up to see him because of his past reputation. Most fans seeing him for the first time, in say, 74 to 77, were probably expecting to see the TTWII Elvis and the fans were screaming for what he once was and not for the performance he was giving at the time. As r&b says, he had no current new/hit records to keep the public interested. His career was in need of a desperate change. At the age if 42 it was too late, his young years were over.

I'm not being an apologist it's just being factual and it is stupid of you to even say that.

It's a fact that in 1977 Elvis Presley was the top touring act in America for arenas that seated 6,000 to 20,000 people.

How many times do I frickin have to say that you don't need current hit records to be a top touring act and to sell out shows.

Again that's the point lots of singers and bands sell out shows long after they stop having hit records or being a contemporary force in the music business because of their past reputations.

Since you don't understand something so simple you must be in need of serious help.

Yes you don't have to have a hit to sell out an arena. Yes, he was still a top touring act (for middle America). But honestly, do you really think Elvis would have sold out 4 shows at MSG in 1977 like he did in 1972? How about the LA Forum? I don't think he would have. He just wasn't as hot an act for cities like that anymore. When I got my tickets for the Aug 1977 show in Uniondale, NY, a co-worker of mine said , Oh is Elvis still around? Such was his star status.

Did your co-worker live in a hole in the ground? Elvis was still in newspapers, magazines etc. It doesn't make sense.

No I think what co-worker meant by her remark was what has he done lately? Obviously she knew he wasn't dead (yet). As pointed out Elvis really only mattered to the hardcore Elvis fans at that point. To the music scene he was a no longer relevant. He was never on the radio except for country stations . What newspapers was he in? The Enquirer, The Star? Who really cares about that kind of news?

He was still in the national news, not just The Enquirer and The Star. When he went into the hospital, was national news. All the stories of his 76 Vail/ Denver visit with the Denver cops and giving away Cadillacs made national news. When he broke up the fight at the gas station made the news. There was a national story about a resurgence in his record sales in Europe in 1977. The story that he was going to be in A Star Is Born made the news. When he performed in Denver in 76 it was big news with a cover story in the papers for 2 days plus other stories in the paper and on TV leading up to the performance. It was a front page story with pictures when he performed in Chicago in 1977. There was still "Tiger Beat" type fan magazines being published every year. And the fact that CBS wanted to do a TV special with him meant he was still relevant.

His records were still played on Adult Contemporary and MOR stations. His new records were played heavily on Denvers #1 station KHOW.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:54 pm

brian wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:You need to read posts again and try to understand.

I would say the same to you but evidently you can't.

I understand what r&b and you are trying to say but I don't agree with it and think it's wrong.

The thing with you is, you only see things your way. You don't examine or look through the correct end of the telescope. You've got to have an open mind and take into account other things that are going on at the time, instead of just seeing it one way. Your got this obsession with Elvis still selling out shows with no real insight into why he would still do this from 16th August onwards. What i'm talking about is the state of Elvis' career at the time and he could've gone on forever like that.

You are making false assumptions about me and talking out of your ass. :roll:

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:18 pm

brian wrote:
brian wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:You need to read posts again and try to understand.

I would say the same to you but evidently you can't.

I understand what r&b and you are trying to say but I don't agree with it and think it's wrong.

The thing with you is, you only see things your way. You don't examine or look through the correct end of the telescope. You've got to have an open mind and take into account other things that are going on at the time, instead of just seeing it one way. Your got this obsession with Elvis still selling out shows with no real insight into why he would still do this from 16th August onwards. What i'm talking about is the state of Elvis' career at the time and he could've gone on forever like that.

You are making false assumptions about me and talking out of your ass. :roll:

But i have a clean ass....

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:38 pm

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:

Yes, really r&b.

I guess Chicago Stadium and the Omni in Atlanta don't count. Did his albumns sell in big numbers...no, but then he never was an albumn artist to begin with. Elvis was primarily a singles artist, and his singles usually did quite well on the charts (with a few exceptions here and there) up to his death. Moody Blue, Way Down, Hurt, were all right up there on the Hot 100 the last 18 months of his life. The disco craze was in full swing along with Studio 54 in New York so if it wasn't musically related to those two items I doubt anybody in NYC noticed.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:24 am

Elvis never scaled Mt. Everest. That was something he could have achieved, if he'd really wanted.

Mount_Everest_(topgold).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis never scaled Mt. Everest. That was something he could have achieved, if he'd really wanted.

Mount_Everest_(topgold).jpg

He could have had visited Ali's cabin. :wink:

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:50 am

What more would Elvis have achieved...

A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tonage of waste is as ridiculous as the amount of talent that was squandered. Geez I can't even think of the things he could have done in just the 60's as far as just concerts. Even if he had cut the same movie soundtracks and appeared in the same movies, but worked an extra gee what couple of months per year to make his total 6 whole months he would have added A LOT to his legacy.

I mean can you imagine 7 or more YEARS of great renditions of 50's classics, music cut for Elvis is Back, His Hand in Mine, How Great Thou Art, the great ballads, the great pop / rock n roll songs of the early sixties, etc.

Dare I think with all the world abuzz about music in the 60's (Monterey Pop, TV Shows, Woodstock [NO I am not suggesting Presley would have played Woodstock, just that there was a LOT of concert filming happening in the 60's]) we might have gotten a FULL COLOR CONCERT and companion ALBUM. If nothing else we might have a little double album and some raw footage like the Beatles at The Hollywood Bowl. Or how about the recently released TRIFECTA released by The Doors of their gig at the Hollywood Bowl (DVD / LP / CD).

Anybody here like a 2013 release of a FULL COLOR ELVIS concert DVD from the 60's with a nice companion CD release.

Maybe a setlist that includes :

That's All Right
Good Rockin Tonight
Mystery Train
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Don't Be Cruel
Jailhouse Rock
One Night
A Big Hunk o Love
Reconsider Baby
Working on the Building
Are You Lonesome Tonight
I Feel So Bad
His Latest Flame
Devil in Disguise
Crying in the Chapel
Run On
Down in the Alley
etc.
etc.

Heck even a concert of him maybe singing the lyrics from some of his favorite comic books would be great but instead we get ZERO in the way of a filmed concert by the man himself, when we could have had years. Man it would be great to go from 1960 to 1967 and watch youtube videos of his concerts and tv performances (a la The Beatles in their respective years).

What a bummer. What more could he have achieved...it boggles the mind...and easily boggles a pea brain like mine.

You can pretty much figure he blew at least 1/3 of his career and a heck of a lot of talent for one reason or another and that's A LOT of time he could have been ACHIEVING a heck of a lot more.

lets go the simple / crayon route :

1954 - 1958 - 5 years - GREAT
1960 - 1963 - 4 years - GREAT / MOSTLY GREAT
1964 - early 1968 - 5 years - out of respect and those horses that are deceased let's not go there
mid - late 68 - 1970 - 3 years - GREAT / MOSTLY GREAT
1971 forget it / lost cause
1972 excellent songs concerts a little slide but nothing overly problematic
1973 okay - the first of the really problematically problematic red flags sets in
1974 pretty good - according to the general consensus - better for the most part than the previous year
1975 making a good showing - some strong shows - good music - trouble with the dots and promised land
1976 - 1977 - 2 years - see comment for 1964 - early 1968 - what's even worse is how does a guy who LOVES to sing...start blowing off and not record his singing a la recording sessions????????!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore approximately 1/3 of his career was not utilized at optimum capacity.

Yeah it's simple, but some things are.

Still, at the end of the day, he gave us all a lot of gifts in various forms of entertainment. And you don't gripe about gifts. It's the thought that counts. Besides, it's not polite.
Last edited by music2 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:10 am

2kd wrote:I already said this on another thread, but he would have made an amazing record producer. He had such a great "ear" and knew just how to arrange the music. I also think he could have been quite a serious actor with the right management. And of course, his love of gospel would have played a huge part in his career.

Hello 2kd :D

I agree; furthermore, Elvis' arrangements were inspired and timeless.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:09 am

He could have done a TV special where he revisited his Sun days...where he would do the songs he recorded there with Sam Phillips in the audience, Elvis on stage with Scotty. Such a shame about Bill, god rest him. That would have been something, dontcha think...oh well, i can dream can't i!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:27 am

Speaking about dreams (the Impossible Dream), I imagine a TV special with Elvis, Scotty, DJ Fontana and a good bass player (unfortunately Bill Black died in 1965) doing a 3 hours unplugged concert, in chronological order from That's All Right, Mama and Blue Moon of Kentucky to Promised Land and For the Heart, including all the Presley major hits and many other songs from his own catalogue

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Elvis' problem was that he was such a small town guy. He couldnt or didnt want to see past the walls of Graceland. So had he lived would Elvis have come out from his drug induced protective haze? Yes i think so. The publication of the book and the airing of the TV Special would on the one hand have had a rousing effect on Elvis' self image and on the other, have mustered support from people who really did have his best interests at heart.
No doubt that once Elvis' shortcommings were "outed" a lot would have changed all around him. Parker would have gone and Elvis and his new manager would have been keen to show what he could do. He would have embarked upon a World tour and probably looked for a top movie part, maybe even wrote his own book to tell his story. He would have gone on to become an even bigger star because everyone loves a rags to riches story and that's what Elvis' would have become all over again. Had a reinvented, self confident, clean Elvis done a World tour it would have been a very big event. Possibly the biggest story of them all.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:47 am

jungleroombear wrote:Elvis' problem was that he was such a small town guy. He couldnt or didnt want to see past the walls of Graceland. So had he lived would Elvis have come out from his drug induced protective haze? Yes i think so. The publication of the book and the airing of the TV Special would on the one hand have had a rousing effect on Elvis' self image and on the other, have mustered support from people who really did have his best interests at heart.
No doubt that once Elvis' shortcommings were "outed" a lot would have changed all around him. Parker would have gone and Elvis and his new manager would have been keen to show what he could do. He would have embarked upon a World tour and probably looked for a top movie part, maybe even wrote his own book to tell his story. He would have gone on to become an even bigger star because everyone loves a rags to riches story and that's what Elvis' would have become all over again. Had a reinvented, self confident, clean Elvis done a World tour it would have been a very big event. Possibly the biggest story of them all.

Everything you said I concur, I think alot of fans underestimate what a world tour would've done for the career of Elvis Presley, if done by a CLEAN Elvis, with a new manager, tighter rehearsed band with a NEW setlist, and attire !

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:31 am

Rob wrote:

The quote came from the Goldman "Book"

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:32 pm

memphisound wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Elvis' problem was that he was such a small town guy. He couldnt or didnt want to see past the walls of Graceland. So had he lived would Elvis have come out from his drug induced protective haze? Yes i think so. The publication of the book and the airing of the TV Special would on the one hand have had a rousing effect on Elvis' self image and on the other, have mustered support from people who really did have his best interests at heart.

Everything you said I concur, I think alot of fans underestimate what a world tour would've done for the career of Elvis Presley, if done by a CLEAN Elvis, with a new manager, tighter rehearsed band with a NEW setlist, and attire !

Right. And if that scenario were to play-out today, I would guess Elvis would be the only person in the World who's global appeal would have impacted on the violent, religious idealism that is taking over the planet. It could have been called the "If I Can Dream" tour. If only!!

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 am

jungleroombear wrote:
memphisound wrote:

Right. And if that scenario were to play-out today, I would guess Elvis would be the only person in the World who's global appeal would have impacted on the violent, religious idealism that is taking over the planet. It could have been called the "If I Can Dream" tour. If only!!

That would be what would've happened if life were fair. :(

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:53 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Speaking about dreams (the Impossible Dream), I imagine a TV special with Elvis, Scotty, DJ Fontana and a good bass player (unfortunately Bill Black died in 1965) doing a 3 hours unplugged concert, in chronological order from That's All Right, Mama and Blue Moon of Kentucky to Promised Land and For the Heart, including all the Presley major hits and many other songs from his own catalogue

I could actually see something like that happening.

I could see Elvis being invited to appear on MTV unplugged in the 1980s.

He probably would have done an hour or an hour and a half.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 am

memphisound wrote:

I think it would have been a positive short term thing for Elvis.

I think like with touring the U.S. he would have gotten bored with it all fairly quickly.

Elvis would have made a lot of money from a world tour that's for sure.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 am

brian wrote:
memphisound wrote:

I think it would have been a positive short term thing for Elvis.

I think like with touring the U.S. he would have gotten bored with it all fairly quickly.

Elvis would have made a lot of money from a world tour that's for sure.

It's interesting you say that Brian, because so often we hear about Elvis' boredom and much quickly he became bored with things. Sometimes when I sit and think or read about it, I often wonder what honestly would've kept him content, and all I can think of perhaps were different movie roles. But from reading, apparently by the 70's he didn't want to talk about Oscar's, or dramatic roles, he just wanted to do an action movie (the karatee Movie he was suppose to direct for example)